Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
The minimum-wage protests that have been bubbling under the surface throughout the quick-service restaurant industry for nearly a year now may soon come to a boil.

QSR and retail workers from eight cities have called on minimum-wage employees from around the country to join them for what they're calling a "national day of strikes" Aug. 29, just ahead of the Labor Day weekend.

The workers, who have facilitated a handful of strikes in various cities throughout the past few months, are specifically protesting for $15-an-hour wages and the right to form a union without retaliation.

"If you work in a fast food or retail store anywhere in the country, we urge you to join our growing movement," said Terrance Wise, a 34-year old father of three who earns $9.30 an hour after eight years at Burger King and $7.47 at Pizza Hut in Kansas City. "Get together with some or all of your co-workers and make plans to take to the streets on August 29. Encourage your friends, family, and neighbors to do the same. The more of us who go on strike that day, the louder our message will be that it is not right for companies making billions in profits to pay their workers pennies."

According to a press release, employees are expected to join the protest from chains such as McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's.

"It's wrong for big corporations to make billions of dollars in profits and pay millions of dollars to their CEOs, while us workers barely scrape by on minimum wage," said Latrice Arnold, a 27-year-old mother of two who earns Michigan's minimum wage of $7.40 an hour at a Detroit Wendy's. "They can afford to pay us more and have a responsibility to ensure the workers who keep their businesses booming don't live in poverty."

The movement of QSR workers fighting for $15 an hour got started in New York City last November with a strike by 200 workers. So far this year, workers in eight cities have walked off their jobs in protest of these issues, including in New York City again, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Seattle, Kansas City, Mo., and Flint, Mich.

The workers who issued the Aug. 29 strike call are part of the following groups: Fast Food Forward, Fight for 15, STL Can't Survive on $7.35, D-15, Raise up Milwaukee, Strike Poverty-Raise Seattle, Stand Up KC and Flint-15.

http://www.qsrweb.com/article/218115/QSR-employees-call-for-national-day-of-strikes-over-wages

Legend
Legend
Here's an idea ... if you want to make more than minimum wage, then work on a career path that actually has a chance for advancement and pay raises. Just because you can do something that 350 million other Americans can do, doesn't mean you're entitled to great pay.

Legend
Legend
Man... In 1995 when I turned 14 I got a job working for $4.25 / hour. Got a "raise" when min wage moved up to $4.75 and then again when it went up to $5.15. Thought I was living high on the hog.

What I don't understand about this is that people know what these jobs pay, agree to go work there, then complain about the pay rate?

If he focused this much energy on developing job skills, maybe he'd be making more than $7.50 and hour.

*edit* yep... looks like Excl and I are on the same page here.

Last edited by clevesteve; 08/21/13 12:06 PM.
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Here's an idea ... if you want to make more than minimum wage, then work on a career path that actually has a chance for advancement and pay raises. Just because you can do something that 350 million other Americans can do, doesn't mean you're entitled to great pay.

And don't have 3 kids if you can't afford them.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Legend
Legend
I honestly hope they fire all the "strikers" so they can see what real poverty is like. The only thing raising the minimum wage is going to do is jack up the cost of inflation, so in a few years we're all paying $10 for a burger, and the same people will be complaining that $15 an hour isn't enough to live on.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
LOL, good luck

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I honestly hope they fire all the "strikers" so they can see what real poverty is like. The only thing raising the minimum wage is going to do is jack up the cost of inflation, so in a few years we're all paying $10 for a burger, and the same people will be complaining that $15 an hour isn't enough to live on.

I hope they fire all the strikers, then bottom out their pay at federal minimum.... which, by the way, was just increased to $7.25/hour in 2009.

When I took my first job for $3.35/hr, I knew quite clearly that if I wanted to make better money, I needed to get a better job.
If you want more pay, do a job that is worthy of it. Fast food work does NOT meet that criteria.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

To be honest, there are plenty of advancement opportunities in both retail and fast food if someone is willing to work and not just be a hamburger flipper trainee for the rest of their lives..

So if you want to make more it's simple: work hard, get noticed, move up the ladder. that's how you do it. But it all starts with picking the right place to go to work. Ask questions about advancement, opportunity. If they say there isn't any, move on or take it with an eye toward looking for an opportunity that will offer those chances for advancement.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I dare say that the managers of these places don't earn more than $15/hr.

If I were at one of these locations and the person went on strike, I'd fire them and I'd fight paying them unemployment.

A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
I agree with that. Store managers at Wal-Mart make close to 100k, if not more. Even a store manager at a burger king, or mcdonalds make at least 35k. If you've been a crew member for an extended period of time, you probably don't have the ability to move up. Even management jobs are a revolving door at a lot of these places. There should be not to much of a problem to get a promotion.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Lol ya know!?!?!

Fast Food is a "gateway" opportunity. And the funny thing is, these people who strike will likely be let go, replaced and forgotten about all in about a ten minute time frame haha...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Man... In 1995 when I turned 14 I got a job working for $4.25 / hour. Got a "raise" when min wage moved up to $4.75 and then again when it went up to $5.15. Thought I was living high on the hog.

What I don't understand about this is that people know what these jobs pay, agree to go work there, then complain about the pay rate?

If he focused this much energy on developing job skills, maybe he'd be making more than $7.50 and hour.

*edit* yep... looks like Excl and I are on the same page here.

we all are on the same page pretty much. But I gotta tell you, there was once an opportunity for a person to develop skills as a machinist, foreman and other decent paying jobs in manufacturing. A ton of those jobs no longer exist in the US. They've been shipped off shore.

There used to be hundreds of thousands of jobs for Help Desk people.. most of those jobs have been shipped to India.

Point is, the jobs that built the middle class are all but gone.

So what do we have in abundance? Retail and fast food. Plenty of folks have started out as a trainee at McDonalds and moved into store management, General Management and regional Management positions that pay damn fine money.

When you talk retail, it's not just unskilled, ring the register or stock the shelves kinda work. There really are jobs that pay better. Become a Tech at Lube Stop (quick oil change), they make decent bucks,, the guy I go to makes about 45k a year. Way better than minimum wage. he gets benefits and holiday pay and vacation pay as well.

My neighbor (a single lady) is a department manager at Kohls, she owns a 200k condo around the corner from me, drives an infinity and generally lives well. I don't know what she makes, but she's doing ok.. That's not even as a STORE manager, she just runs one department.

by the way, she came up the hard way. after a divorce, she started as a sales clerk and now manages a department.. Next stop, store manager.

I guess what I'm saying is, there is a way to make retail or fast food industries work for you, but you gotta work at it. They don't hand you anything.

And they shouldn't.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

a 34-year old father of three who earns $9.30 an hour after eight years at Burger King

After 8 years, either your at a crappy store with crappy managers who don't promote from within, or you don't show enough initiative or drive for them to promote you. if the former, then it's up to you to move on and make an effort to achieve, if it's the latter, then shame on you.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
$15 an hour? Geez, I remember when making $10 an hour was making big bucks.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Workers who can be easily replaced by high-school dropouts have just about zero leverage in a strike.

If you want to make more, make yourself WORTH more.

Legend
Legend
In Ohio, in the areas I have worked, it seems like restaurant managers can earn anywhere from $30K - $50K per year. Some might make a little more with bonuses and such, but that's probably a close range. When you get into higher end restaurants, with liquor and such, then a GM can make upwards of $100K.

I get this from my time as a restaurant manager, my friendships and conversations with many in the business, and my time as a car salesman/F&I person, dealing with people's financial information.

Looking at this deeper, at $15/hour, working 40 hours/week, the fry guy would be making $31,200 to start. That won't fly. Even if it would, would people go to a fast food restaurant for a $3 mini sandwich, and a $4 value fry? Inflated wages lead to inflated prices. They already have. The $0.99 double stack at Wendy's is not $1.89. The 5 piece $0.99 chicken nuggets is now a 4 piece. The list goes on. Look at most businesses in Ohio and how mandatory wage inflation has caused longer lines and poorer service. I know that I never used to stand in line at places like Wal-Mart, and Marc's, and so on ...... and now it's rare that I'm not in a 4-8 person deep line.

Anyway, business has to make a profit to stay in business, so if wages go up, then hours are cut, service suffers, and prices increase ..... and sometimes locations even just go out of business. That helps people in a struggling economy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
$15 an hour?

I completely understand that argument from the NYC crowd. For the rest of them, it's kind of laughable.

S
Legend
Legend
S
For 15$/hr you better not wrap that burger up and then let the fattest employee jump on it 10 times. Just sayin'.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
What on earth would we eat if fast food got too expensive?

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
How about "real" food ?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

How about "real" food ?

For all of the money that we sink into farming just to prop it up, you would think we'd get something on the back end in that regard.

We're very close to a point where you can't really eat right without having a pretty decent income.

Which bites us in more ways than one.

Legend
Legend
The irony of it is that if they give these people a 60% raise, which is about what they are asking for, then the price of the average meal is going to go from $6 to $9 and the consumer will end up paying for it... and who eats the most fast food? Other minimum wage workers....

Not to mention, for $9, I can get a pretty GOOD lunch someplace else... so I will just stop going... Like most people, I don't go to McDonalds because it's really good, I go there because it's cheap, it's fast, and its at least consistent... if it stops being cheap, I'll go somewhere else.

yebat' Putin
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
A #1 at McDonald's already costs $8-9 in Manhattan.

Like I said, for NYC, $15/hour is a pretty reasonable request.

Outside of there, it's kind of a joke to be asking for that.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I just realized that I want to be paid more - so I'm going to demand to be paid more, and if I don't get it, I'll strike for a day. That'll show'em.

I didn't realize how easy it was to get a raise.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Eating healthy can be a challenge when faced with limited funds especially in an urban area with little access to farmers but this fast inexpensive food turns out to be anything but in the long run .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

A #1 at McDonald's already costs $8-9 in Manhattan.

But think of how much they are saving and how much healthier they are because they can't get the biggie drink.

I wasn't really talking about NYC.. was talking more about the rest of the known universe... and the reason a #1 is $9 in NYC is because of the real estate... So if you paid the workers $15/hour, it would go from $9 to $13..

In general though, the economy has sucked and a lot of people are working in fast food that shouldn't be.. I get that. When the economy picks back up and those who have training and job skills in other areas go back to those areas and fast food restaurants are left to kids, this won't be a big issue any more.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

I don't know where I sit on the service union debate just yet. But just to insert some other things I do know where I stand on... Minimum Wage earners have less buying power now than in 1968 when adjusting for inflation. The rates just haven't kept up for a long time. Now you do have kickbacks when you're making that little. You have child tax credit (good argument for kids, right??), EITC, SSI, etc. The problem with those kickbacks to me is you're subsidizing the salary through the fed while letting companies like Walmart and McDonalds benefit by not paying as much to their workers because the fed programs will cover it.

I agree with PhilDawsonRocks, $15/hr is too high for most areas. If we're just going to take the 1968 wage and adjust for inflation we'd end up around $10.70. With the fed programs we don't need to go that high but still much more than what we have right now. Or we get rid of some fed programs and get closer to $10.70 min...

I don't know what to think about the comments by users here that in so many words said the people on strike either deserve their lot for their laziness or aren't intelligent enough to improve themselves. There simply aren't that many skilled labor jobs anymore. You have the white collar jobs sure but not everyone is cut out to be some law manager at a firm. Those would go into skilled labor where you could make a good wage.... but those are gone. That leaves you with the retail service or food service industries. If that is all we are left with, I think those displaced should be able earn a living on it. It used to be most of your minimum wage earners were people under 25 earning extra money after school but nowadays about half of all minimum wage earners are over 25, usually having to work two jobs to make sure they can cover their finances (look at that joke of the McDonalds McPlanning sheet...)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

There simply aren't that many skilled labor jobs anymore.

The construction trades are all starved for qualified people to work as electricians, tile mechanics, drywall hangers, concrete finishers... these tend to be pretty decent paying jobs once you get a couple years in and they are in very high demand.....

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Lol, Thomas Edison.

I don't think many people were rocking overalls in 1789.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Eating healthy can be a challenge when faced with limited funds especially in an urban area with little access to farmers but this fast inexpensive food turns out to be anything but in the long run .

Precisely.

We could probably halve our health care costs in this country if people didn't eat poison and sit around on the couch.

It's not always easy. Hell, I'm guilty of it myself at times.

I'm pretty dead set against the bans and all of that...that's just trying to mitigate the damage done. I am very much in favor of instituting healthier food options in public schools. It all starts there.

It boggles my mind how so many seethe at that idea, though.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
They seeth because the Madison Ave boys have done a great job and because the FDA ( joke that it is ) have refused to do thiers . It never ceases to amaze me how simple color schemes and useless words prompt Americans to buy so much garbage in the grocery store . The lack of education about what we put into our bodies is pretty scary as well .

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I am curious where you get the concept that whatever job you happen to be working at, needs to pay you "enough"?

If "diggin ditches" paid "enough", then everybody would do that and no one would ever seek a better job. "Diggin ditches" was what my grandfather always said you would end up doing if you did not get a good education. It was one step above "living in the poorhouse", which he remembered as an actual building with real people living in it.

We have made being stupid and lazy a viable way to survive. Those of us who work sacrifice some of those earnings so that stupid, lazy people can continue to eat, breathe, and have kids. This makes it necessary for the next tier up, the burger flippers, to earn a better living.

We have artificially raised the lower step in the wage scale, and that is a mistake.

Leave the burger flippers wages as they are and let the stupid, lazy people starve to death. All but the most extremely stupid and lazy will get jobs and won't actually starve.

We must stop telling people that producing absolutely nothing actually has some value. We can do it now, when we still have a choice, or we can remain spineless and what until the simple lack of available money forces this action upon us.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I agree with you to an extent. Flipping burgers isn't a $15 an hour job.

Odd you mention ditch diggers. My grandpa did that for a while. Lived cheap. Then bought his own equipment. Dug ditches for himself. Then he bought a farm. Farmed, dug ditches, and still lived well below his means.

Then he sold the farm, sold his equipment, and bought out 2 brothers that were making a product in their garage. He thought the product was worth something.

He took that product and rights, and created a multimillion dollar business out of it. He died, at age 68, in a car accident almost 26 years ago.

The business is still here. His son, my uncle, "bought" it/stole it. Then he sold it to a German company (which put my uncle in the category of "extremely rich"), then a french company bought out the German company.

All right here, in n.w. Ohio.

My grandpa, and his 8th grade education, never once said "hey, employer, I need more money for what I'm doing." He went out and created more money, and opportunity for himself. One key is: He lived well below his means, his whole life.

He didn't "expect" others to do for him. He expected him to do for himself.

Not everyone can or will have such a success story - but everyone can and should learn from that: It's what YOU do for yourself, not what others give you, that matters.

Sorry - working at a fast food restaurant is not a living wage job - it can't be. And before anyone jumps me - my wife worked at McDonalds for several years when she was in high school, and after. Until she got a job in a factory, where she still is.

She's blue collar, and I am too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am curious where you get the concept that whatever job you happen to be working at, needs to pay you "enough"?

Someone working full time should be make a wage to keep a roof over their heads and food on their table.

Quote:

If "diggin ditches" paid "enough", then everybody would do that and no one would ever seek a better job. "Diggin ditches" was what my grandfather always said you would end up doing if you did not get a good education. It was one step above "living in the poorhouse", which he remembered as an actual building with real people living in it.

That's quite slippery but often spoken of anytime mentions raising minimum wage. I like the place I live in, I like my fun car to drive on the weekends, so I'm not going to dig ditches just because it provides 'enough' needed to survive. If what I do garners a fair wage, what is wrong with making sure that can be said for all full time jobs? Burger flipping isn't a fair wage to make 100k at but is grossing 15k a year a livable wage? Definitely not.

Quote:

We have made being stupid and lazy a viable way to survive. Those of us who work sacrifice some of those earnings so that stupid, lazy people can continue to eat, breathe, and have kids. This makes it necessary for the next tier up, the burger flippers, to earn a better living.

Yes, because everyone who is poor in the United States is poor by choice

Quote:

We have artificially raised the lower step in the wage scale, and that is a mistake.

At the cost of subsidizing big businesses breaking the back of those working for them at minimum wage full time.

Quote:

Leave the burger flippers wages as they are and let the stupid, lazy people starve to death. All but the most extremely stupid and lazy will get jobs and won't actually starve.

We must stop telling people that producing absolutely nothing actually has some value. We can do it now, when we still have a choice, or we can remain spineless and what until the simple lack of available money forces this action upon us.

Flipping McDonalds Big Macs is one of the most valuable things to do in this country, if the guts of our citizens have any say in it! I make video games, how much value is there really in that? I mean I can make an argument about art, but I don't make any bones about it. I work in entertainment. Value of a persons work is quantitative on those who receive the benefits of said work, and varies greatly from person to person.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
As to your last bullet point: there in lies the question/problem

You make video games. That is something I, or the vast majority of Americans, can't do.

My 13 yr. old daughter could work at McDonalds with just a day or 2 of training. It doesn't make her worth $15 an hour.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I worked for a tier 2 auto parts factory and many of our "production" jobs were replaced by robotic welders and part handlers. This created a few higher paying tech jobs. I am curious what percent of these jobs went overseas or are now done my robots?

In the late 1970's our school career program told us not to count on going to many factories and working there 40 years like our parents had. Most would not be around.

Last edited by FORTBROWNFAN; 08/21/13 08:46 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c....

I make $50k a year now, at 25 years old. I took this job 4 years ago making minimum wage. Work hard and earn your pay. You really want $15 an hour when 90% of the time you can't remember no onions on my McDouble?

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Bullcrap. A person should be paid for a full days work, what somebody else is willing to pay them for that work. You make the money you do because someone is willing to pay you that amount. The person doing the paying is the one who assigns the amount. NOT someone else.

Businesses are not being subsidized, that is a popular lie. The people who can't get a better job are the one's who are being subsidized. They are the ones who end up with the money, you are aware of that, right?

They don't get to steal money from working people because some evil businessman won't pay them enough. They steal money from working people because they aren't worth enough to anyone to pay them a better wage.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Bullcrap. A person should be paid for a full days work, what somebody else is willing to pay them for that work. You make the money you do because someone is willing to pay you that amount. The person doing the paying is the one who assigns the amount. NOT someone else.

Businesses are not being subsidized, that is a popular lie. The people who can't get a better job are the one's who are being subsidized. They are the ones who end up with the money, you are aware of that, right?

They don't get to steal money from working people because some evil businessman won't pay them enough. They steal money from working people because they aren't worth enough to anyone to pay them a better wage.

Shoot, in a perfect world I'd just as soon abolish min wage. I feel it works to prop up poverty in many cases. But so long as humans are willing to take advantage of others for a percentage, we're stuck with what we got for now.

I'm sure the businesses can do whatever math they like, but when individuals earn min wage, then EITC/Child Tax Credit on top of it, I question the sources of those funds and whether the businesses are properly paying into it. More direct sources of renumeration are easier to track. I know the individual gets the money, I wasn't saying they were being denied it. But if we're all paying into EITC then those of us outside of the EITC range are helping those when I feel the company should finance it directly.

Look, I agree with most of the replies in this thread, even to you Nelson to an extent. Unions corrupt once they get big enough and $15/hr is too much for the jobs at hand. I'm just.. amazed. Amazed at the general lack of humanity in this thread. Rather than discuss difficult propositions like how workers at the bottom rungs working full time should be able to live, that we're discussing how big of a leech to society they are. Saying that all poor people need to do is stop being lazy is simplistic and ignorant.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's not about "poor people" it's about people who want paid more for jobs that 97%of the population is capable of doing. Instead of going on strike for $15 am hour, perhaps they should look at being a fast food team member as a temporary income instead of "how can I live comfortably doing the easiest job I can find?"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Fast Food workers plan to strike Aug 29, want $15 hr

Link Copied to Clipboard