Print Thread
#808599 08/25/13 07:01 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A story about my great uncle: By his son Steve

My father always said that he lived a hard life
As I look back at his life:
I see a young child robbed of his childhood by the great depression. When most children are 7 years old they should be playing baseball or cowboys and Indians, but my father worked at a grocery store trying to earn money to help his family.
I see a young man robbed of his young adulthood when he was drafted to serve his country in World War 2. A war in which he proudly served.
I see a man who arrived home after World War 2 and chose the profession of being a bricklayer. A vocation very hard on the knees, back, shoulders, and hands. It was this job that would carry him into retirement.
I see a man who married my mother who already had 5 children of her own. He accepted these children as his own and provided for them, nourished them, and loved them.
I see a man who loved baseball and would eventually coach his children throughout the years. A man who loved the Cleveland Indians and lived through their joys and pains.
I see a man who when retired, couldn’t sit still and still had to work. I still remember him laying bricks into is early 80’s, helping me dig trenches in my yard, and growing a tremendous vegetable garden.
When the terrible disease of dementia took over, it was hard to watch the qualities that made him the man we knew, diminish into oblivion. But no matter how unstable the dementia made him, he always talked about his love for his family and God.
I watched my father fight death for 3 days. We all wanted him to leave the pain and to go home to be with his Lord. We had all accepted that his time had come. But my father fought and fought and never gave up. It wore us all down, but he kept going and going. We all wondered what was keeping him alive.
On that 3rd day he finally decided that it was his time to go. And as I stood there tired and exhausted, I asked myself, “How could he fight this for these 3 days the way he did”, and as I looked at his lifeless body it finally hit me, what made him fight this battle for 3 days is the same fight that made him survive the great depression, it was the same fight that made him survive World War 2, and it was the same fight that made him survive his profession of being a bricklayer. It was the survival of the fittest that made him a fighter. This survival instinct made him fight the battle of death. I then realized how strong and tough my father really was, even in his weakest state.
He did live a hard life, but I know he enjoyed every bit of it. I hope that I become at least half the man my father became. And I know that he would tell everyone here today, Love Life… Live Life…. Laugh with it…. And share it.

Thank you all for your living support. Steve Brattoli.
I used to love to sit and listen to all the storie's He could tell, I would think, What a life my great uncle lived and all he had seen.But until he went to be with our savior did I know how much he meant to all he touched.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Good story Shots!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Very sorry about the loss of your great uncle. It sounds like he was quite an impressive and indomitable man. It's sad that our greatest generation is leaving us at an ever-increasing pace.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the story Shotty. Sounds like your great uncle was a man's man.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Great stuff .. I love reading stories like this. Thanks man.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
He was a great man! And it get's me thinking about my father and myself, My pop's is a great man also! and im so lucky to still have him, the time's have changed and there are not too many year's left that we can have this , the memories of a simple time, a time when you could still leave you window's open on a summer's eve. Or have faith in your neighbor to be there as a friend. I guess im old and from a time when it meant somthing to be honest and to trust your fellow american, sorry i'm rambling.

Legend
Legend
Thank you for sharing that. Very touching story.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Great Story!

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Shotty from one bricklayer to another for your Uncle...

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hey buddy sorry for your loss, and Happy for your good memories at the same time.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Tributes such as these are the evidence of an impactful life.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Great story! It reminds me of my Dad. He to, was a WWII vet and grew up in the depression. He worked into his 80's and owned his own construction co. He also passed away from dementia. 3 yrs. in a old folks home. He was 86. I know you miss yours and I miss mine. Thanks, Dad for all the wisdom you passed along. I'm sure you feel the same way about yours. God Bless them both!

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... I want to share a story

Link Copied to Clipboard