OP Offline
All Pro
B

Obviously not done, but roster looks like this:

QB (3) Weeden, Campbell, Hoyer
RB (2( Richardson, B.Jackson
FB (2) Ogbonnay, Smelley
TE (3) Cameron, K.Davis, Barnidge
WR (4) Little, Bess, Cooper, Benjamine (Gordon suspended so not counted on 53)
OL (12) Thomas, Greco, Mack, Cousins, Schwartz, Lauvao, Pinkston, Shaw, Gilkey, Hauptman, Butler, Wallace

LS (1) Yount
P (1) Lanning
K (ZERO) obviously a move will be made here.

DL (7) Rubin, Taylor, D.Bryant, Winn, Hughes, Kitchen, A.Bryant
LB(10) D'Qwell, Kruger, Robertson, Mingo, Sheard, Fort, Groves, Carder, Hazel, Martin
CB (4) Haden, Owens, Skrine, McFadden
S (4) Ward, Gipson, Bademosi, Aubrey

Lots of moves to be made.

Wanted to add; Congratulations to the men above, best of luck to those released.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
Obviously we'll add a WR/RB/G/CB/K ... some combination of those groups ... and we'll probably cut 2-3 Olinemen and maybe a LB/FB

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd guess that we trade one of our defensive linemen for a player at a position of need.

Legend
Legend
Well, I would expect us to add, at the very least, 1 K, 1 WR, 1 RB, and 1 CB. Lotta moves coming. No way do we go into the season with 12 OL, even with 2 injured. .

If my name was one of the following, I would not get too comfortable just yet:Smelley, Cooper, Haupmann, Butler, Wallace, Gilkey, Carder, Hazel, Martin. I am not saying that these guys will be cut/replaced ...... but they are the most likely of candidates on the roster as it stands right now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I think especially Cooper, Smelley, Haupmann, Wallace, and the two guys we picked up. We definitely will cut at least two olinemen IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I'd guess that we trade one of our defensive linemen for a player at a position of need.

Lot of people buzzing about that.

If that's the plan, at least we were patient about it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

FB (2) Ogbonnay, Smelley
OL (12) Thomas, Greco, Mack, Cousins, Schwartz, Lauvao, Pinkston, Shaw, Gilkey, Hauptman, Butler, Wallace

LS (1) Yount
P (1) Lanning

LB(10) D'Qwell, Kruger, Robertson, Mingo, Sheard, Fort, Groves, Carder, Hazel, Martin

Wanted to add; Congratulations to the men above, best of luck to those released.

Very glad to see that Badamosi made it,, there were rumors that he wasn't going to..

I'm assuming a kicker will be brought in but does anyone think they'll use Lanning as both. I mean, not that it was tried, but I always wondered if Dawson could have handled both duties.. Just asking.

Who do they cut to get Gordon back on the roster? Smelley? maybe one of the Oline guys.. we seem to have a lot of them. 12 seems like a lot anyway.. Granted two of them are out for a few weeks. The good news is, they don't have to make room for them since they are already on the roster.

As expected, Sanford is gone.. Very happy to see that Armonty Bryant made it.

Surprise of surprises for me anyway was to see that Aubrey made the cut. I'm pretty happy about that.

I think it's obvious they aren't done yet.

Ok, the game is afoot,, let's go Brownies

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

FB (2) Ogbonnay, Smelley

LS (1) Yount
P (1) Lanning

They will add a K/CB/and probably a RB.

R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Yes the obvious adds are going to be a K, CB, possibly a WR and RB.

I dont understand why a couple of you think that Cooper will be cut. I think he has shown up very good this year. good routes and good hands. I liked him tons better then Norwood.

Unless we place one of Pinky or Lauvao on IR. I look for the first cuts to be made on the OL with Wallace, Butler and Hauptman on that list.
LB would be next with Hazel and Martin on that list.

Smelley does have a chance to be cut but I dont think it will be before the 5 listed above,

I think that we might bring in Rugland for a look at K. and most likely Carpenter. If either of the 2 we had could have stayed healthy we woulndt be worrying about a K right now. both missed games from small injuries.

I am really surprised we didnt at least keep one more WR until Gordon comes back, I wanted Nelson to stick around but he was just too rusty and I don't think he trusted his knee 100% yet. I thought if they did cut Nelson that Gurley had a chance but I guess I was wrong there.

I have no idea who we would look at in the RB pool. but we do need that small soft hands back like lewis was going to be.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
WR Robert Meachem was cut by the Chargers. He should know Norvs offense and Norv would know if he is an upgrade.

Nevermind, went back to look up on Meachem and found this:

Chargers release WR Robert Meachem

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

August 31, 2013 4:29 pm ET

Robert Meachem lasted just one season in San Diego.

The Chargers signed Robert Meachem, the former Saints' first-round pick, in March 2012. On Saturday, they released him after one unproductive 2012 season, and a mostly unimpressive 2013 preseason.

Meachem, whom the Chargers will pay $5 million this season to play elsewhere, had just 14 receptions for 207 yards in 15 games last season. He was entering the second year of a four-year deal that includes $14 million in guaranteed money.

The Chargers, meanwhile, are still in need of receivers. Danario Alexander was lost for the year with a knee injury, and Malcom Floyd has missed much of the preseason with a knee injury of his own, although he hopes to be ready for Week 1. As it stands, the rest of the depth chart includes Broncos castoff Eddie Royal, rookie Keenan Allen, and Vincent Brown, who missed the 2012 season with an ankle injury.

While new Chargers general manager Tom Telesco isn't responsible for the Meachem signing, the stubbornness of his predecessor, A.J. Smith, has led the organization to this point.

Meacham may have seemed like a bargain a year ago, only costing the Chargers an average of $6.5 million a season, but the team probably could have had Vincent Jackson -- who said previously that he wanted to stay in San Diego -- for $10 million. Smith wouldn't budge, and now the Chargers' offense is without a deep-play threat while also featuring one of the league's worst offensive lines. Quarterback Philip Rivers must be ecstatic.

Last edited by legalizewd; 08/31/13 09:56 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
no kicker made it hmm. So much for Jamison Hensley's, inside source saying the Browns were planning on keeping 2 lol. I bet Kickalicious is claimed off waivers.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

no kicker made it hmm. So much for Jamison Hensley's, inside source saying the Browns were planning on keeping 2 lol. I bet Kickalicious is claimed off waivers.

I wouldn't be upset if the Browns signed the Norwegian. Lutefisk for everyone!

Legend
Legend
I heard he was working out for the Packers today ... and then Crosby would be made available.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Lutefisk is just nasty.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't see our front office signing kickalicious. They seem like the bunch that would want to avoid the accompanying media circus. Though I think that media circus would only be short lived.

I wish that we had kept Sanford over one of those Lb's or extra linemen.

I thought I saw somewhere that we cut Aubrey. I will see if I can find it and post a link later if I do.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Titans released C/OG Fernando Valesco. Apparantly he started 13 games at center and 3 at left guard for them last year. Anybody know anything more about him?

Legend
Legend
The only thing I know is I checked the Titans message boards and they were shocked that he was released. They signed/drafted some pretty good interior linemen this year, which meant he was an overpaid backup essentially. IMO we need to look at him strongly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought I saw somewhere that we cut Aubrey. I will see if I can find it and post a link later if I do.

Went to the site that I most likely would have seen it on and cannot find it so I must be mistaken. Please resume business as usual.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Figured out my mistake. The Browns cut Akeem Auguste. Not Aubrey. Sorry for the confusion.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

I heard he was working out for the Packers today ... and then Crosby would be made available.

I wouldn't mind Crosby. He's proven he can kick in bad weather, which is a plus, especially here.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Dan Carpenter is still an option as well....

Just looking at the roster- this is a young team. If they can start to come together, it will be fun to watch.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Cleveland Browns cut Shayne Graham, looking for a new kicker a week before the season; waive 13 others

by Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
updated September 01, 2013 at 6:08 AM

BEREA, Ohio -- No one said it was going to be to easy to fill the shoes of 14-year Browns veteran Phil Dawson, who signed with the 49ers after the Browns let him walk in free agency.

Right now, they're as empty as last year's school shoes.

On final cutdown day, the Browns surprised folks by terminating the contract of 12-year kicker Shayne Graham, who made all three of his field goals in preseason but sat out the Bears game with a stiff back. They also cut rookie kicker Brandon Bogotay to leave a gaping hole where the iconic Dawson once stood. Bogotay, who missed the latter part of preseason with a groin injury, made 2-of-3 field goal attempts in the games.

"We gauged the preseason games and weren't completely satisfied,'' said coach Rob Chudzinski. "From a timing standpoint, (it was about) keeping some other guys in other positions on the roster and being flexible that way. We felt like this was the best move at this particular time.''

He said the Browns will probably bring in some kickers over the next few days, and maybe even go back to square one if they don't like what they see.

"We haven't completely closed the door on the kickers that we had,'' he said. "We'll have a kicker in the next few days. I'm not concerned.''

Available kickers include veterans Dan Carpenter and Billy Cundiff, and rookie "Kickalicous,'' the Norwegian Havard Rugland who tried out for the Browns in the spring.

Rugland, a YouTube sensation because of his daring trick shots, was released Tuesday by the Lions after making all three of his field goal attempts from 49, 50 and 33 yards. The 33-yarder came against the Browns in the second preseason game Aug. 15.

"He's a guy with raw ability,'' coach Rob Chudzinski said before that game. "He did a fairly good job (in the tryout). I haven't kept up with what he's doing now.''

The Browns have kept in touch with Carpenter, who was cut by three teams in the past two weeks: the Dolphins, Cardinals and Jets. But it's not yet known if he'll be brought in for a tryout. Carpenter has made 127 of 155 attempts for 81.9 percent.

Cundiff, who made the Pro Bowl as a member of the Ravens in 2010, spent time with the Browns in 2009 when Dawson was injured. Cundiff, who was cut by the Jets on Tuesday when they decided to give Carpenter a look, kicked the gamewinning field goal to help the Browns beat the Bills, 6-3, in 2009. Overall, he's made 139 of his 184 attempts for 75.5%.

"It's probably the one position where a guy could come in and it’s unique in that way,'' said Chudzinski. "I feel like between the pool that’s there and the guys that have been here we’ll find the guy we need.”

Just for the record, he ruled out punter Spencer Lanning handling both chores, like he did against the Bears, making 2-of-3 attempts including the gamewinning 40-yarder.

"It’s good to know he’s a possible backup, but I would not expect that to be the case,'' said Chudzinski.

The release of Graham and Bogotay were among the 15 moves the Browns made to get down to the final 53-man roster by Saturday's 6 p.m. deadline. In addition, they placed Josh Gordon on the reserve/suspended list, where he'll remain for two games for testing positive for codeine.

They also waived the following 12 players: offensive lineman Aaron Adams, defensive back Akeem Auguste, linebacker Justin Cole, running back Jamaine Cook, defensive lineman Hall Davis, wide receivers Tori Gurley, David Nelson and Naaman Roosevelt, linebacker James-Michael Johnson, defensive lineman Brian Sanford, safety Jamoris Slaughter and linebacker Justin Staples.

None of the cuts except for Graham was a surprise. Nelson, who was signed as a free agent in April, knew after the Bears game Thursday night that he might be let go. Coming off a torn anterior cruciate from last year's opener and a bone bruise in the same knee from this camp, he caught four of the 10 passes thrown his way, but dropped one, slipped twice and camp up limping twice with cramps.

The solid play of 2012 undrafted free agent Josh Cooper, Brandon Weeden's pal from Oklahoma State, also made Nelson expendable.

"The biggest thing was the other guys and what they were able to do,'' said Chudzinski. "You saw a guy like Josh Cooper really improve and there were a number of guys making plays. From all indications, (Nelson) was healthy.''

The release of three receivers yesterday and several others since Tuesday left the Browns with only four on the active roster in Cooper, Travis Benjamin, Davone Bess and Greg Little.

But Chudzinski cautioned that the roster is fluid and will change over the next few days.

“All the positions are being evaluated now as the waivers are coming out and we're looking at all the different positions,'' he said.

In other roster notes:

* Undrafted rookie Josh Aubrey from Stephen F. Austin made sixth-round pick Jamoris Slaughter expendable. Slaughter, the safety from Notre Dame, was coming off an Achilles injury and suffered hamstring and groin injuries in camp. He might be a candidate for the practice squad.

"Josh came out of nowhere,'' said Chudzinski. "If you think back to the spring and seeing him then and how much progress he’s made, he’s really come a long way and done a nice job and gotten to the point where we trust him.''

* The absence of Slaughter means the Browns have only four of their five draft picks on the roster. Seventh-rounders Armonty Bryant, a defensive lineman, and Garrett Gilkey, an offensive lineman, both made the team. Two other picks were parlayed into third- and fourth-rounders next year.

* Five undrafted rookies made the team, including two linebackers that were awarded on waivers within the last week: Paul Hazel from Michigan and Eric Martin from Nebraska. The others were offensive linemen Caylin Hauptmann from Florida International and Martin Wallace from Temple. That means more undrafted rookies made the team this year than draft picks.

"It's a tribute to the scouting department, and it’s a tribute to them as well and their attitudes coming in and making a team,'' said Chudzinski. "They’ve worked hard. We wanted to have the type of environment where guys could earn it and these guys showed that.

As for Hazel and Martin, he said, "we liked their pass-rush ability. As outside ‘backers they have flexibility to play defensive end as well in some of the sub situations.''

* The Browns only have four cornerbacks on the roster in Joe Haden, rookie Leon McFadden, Chris Owens and Buster Skrine. Chudzinski re-iterated that they're keeping their eyes peeled at all positions. He also named Skrine the starter heading into the season but stressed he really likes Owens, who's been struggling with a strained arch.

* The roster features 12 offensive lineman, but two of them, Jason Pinkston and Shawn Lauvao, are out with ankle injuries for possibly the first three games of the season.

"Those are guys that we want to keep for sure, so you do have to have some answers in the meantime,'' Chudzinski said. "As far as the o-line and the d-line, those are such important positions as you're going into the course of the season in my experiences, those are the areas when you have injuries that can derail you the quickest, so being a little bit heavy there isn't a problem.''

* Inside linebackers Tank Carder and L.J Fort made 2012 fourth-round pick James-Michael Johnson expendable. Johnson was derailed by knee and rib injuries last season.

* After noon on Sunday, clubs may sign eight players to the practice squad.

* Chudzinski kept all three quarterbacks and feels it's risky to keep two. "I feel good about these three guys, the progress they’ve all made,'' he said. "I’m getting to the point where I’m very comfortable with all of them. Making sure you have multiple quarterbacks who can play if you do encounter injuries is critical.''

* Chudzinski added that No. 6 overall pick Barkevious Mingo will not undergo a CT scan on Monday, which had been reported by ESPN. Chudzinski did not say when he'll undergo further exams.
web page

Where is Joe Banner?

Where is Mike Lombardi?

This dynamic duo created a mess of the Browns special teams, especially the FG kicker position...do they face the media to explain or take responsibility for their screw up?...

...COURSE NOT...they send "the head coach" out to try to explain why the Browns have no kicker...nice, real nice !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Where is Joe Banner?

Where is Mike Lombardi?

This dynamic duo created a mess of the Browns special teams, especially the FG kicker position...do they face the media to explain or take responsibility for their screw up?...

...COURSE NOT...they send "the head coach" out to try to explain why the Browns have no kicker...nice, real nice !

Last edited by Kingcob; 09/01/13 10:33 AM.
Legend
Legend
Lombardi was probably too busy telling LaConfora how good Hoyer was against the Bears to worry about a stupid kicker

D
Legend
Legend
D
Banner was probably feeding puppies to his pet anaconda.

Legend
Legend
Not sure any or many of you have done this yet, but if you go to the main website for the browns, there is a video up with Chud explaining the rationale behind the roster make up as it sits today.

He also made it clear that this is the August 31 roster, not the Sept 8th Roster and that it's fluid.

He makes sense. don't know if it's smoke, but it's at least reasonable.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Banner was probably feeding puppies to his pet anaconda.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Very questionable moves. Keeping 10 linebackers? What?

The running back situation is VERY disappointing.

On the bright side our backup QB situation is better than I can ever remember.

D
Legend
Legend
D

"I met Banner many years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil."

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Very questionable moves. Keeping 10 linebackers? What?

The running back situation is VERY disappointing.

On the bright side our backup QB situation is better than I can ever remember.

I urge you to go listen to Chuds interview.. things will be clear after that.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Lutefisk is just nasty.

Man... you said a mouthful there (hehe)

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

He also made it clear that this is the August 31 roster, not the Sept 8th Roster and that it's fluid.

NO Way this comes back to bite them.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

NO Way this comes back to bite them.

Negative Nancy

Who knows, you may end up being right...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
I see the Curley kid got cut??? Yeah I doubt we go with 4 but you never know as long as our TE are healthy we might for the 2 games.

RB - we might scour the NFL for a Scat back...Smelley could be gone when we do are he stays cause of his ST prowess????

Obviously we will sign a kicker. Definitely one of the OL will be going when we do. Hauptman, Shaw or Martin are the most likely candidates. And most definitely a 2nd OL will go when Lava n Pinkston return. Gordon comes back again Smelley likely suspect or possibly one of the LBs will go ST or not we are carrying way too many.

I think we need a good young CB that we have eyes for waiting for Cuts n waiver wires. Actually by now 12pm we should be signing some waiver wire guys.

Any of the bottom 10-15 I would suspect to be upgraded on if we think a team let a good young player go because the were deep in a position or two???

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
BatDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B

Bobby Rainey - RB - Browns

Browns claimed RB Bobby Rainey off waivers from the Ravens.
Rainey spent much of last season on the Ravens' practice squad before getting promoted in October and injuring his knee. He rushed for 89 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries (3.9 YPC) this preseason. Rainey will be the No. 4 back in Cleveland behind Trent Richardson, Brandon Jackson, and Chris Ogbonnaya.

linker

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
B
BatDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B

So the UPDATED roster is...

RB (3) Richardson, B.Jackson, Bobby Rainey (claimed from balt)
FB (2) Ogbonnay, Smelley
TE (2) Cameron, Barnidge

LS (1) Yount
P (1) Lanning

Legend
Legend
Good pickup with Rainey ... good change of pace. And he can help us week 2 when we prepare. I like it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hmm, considering that Ozzie and the Ravens opted to just keep 2 RBs in Rice and Pierce and let Rainey go, I'm not sure it was the best move here. Rather see Herron or Keiland Williams added, better runners imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

This year, by most accounts, was a really down draft, especially compared to the 2012 and upcoming 2014 classes. The Browns FO must have agreed whole-heartedly since we traded out of picks twice and essentially took a pass after selecting Mingo. The fact that we only have Mingo/McFadden and 2 7th rounders to show for it is pretty telling.

It's also obvious that there are a TON of roster moves still to be made this week before our Miami game. No way do we go with 10 OLine. No way do we not have a kicker. No way do we only have 2 TE, 2 RB and 4 WR (yes I know Smelley can flex to TE and Ogbonnaya to RB).

Here's the thing though.

Does it bother anyone else but me that here we are, a week from opening kickoff, and we're still scrambling to sign players cast off from the rest of the league just to complete our roster? I mean I get why they made some of the cuts and kept some of the guys they did. I'm just talking in a broad sense here.

What does it say about the depth and level of talent of the 2013 Cleveland Browns when we're still hoping for other teams scraps, and more than likely calling them upgrades over what we just cut and/or our final keepers. Not freaking good IMO.

Some day I'd love to have a talented enough team that the guys WE cut are the ones other teams are scrambling to sign a week before the season. Alas, that's certainly not the case. To me, that's the most troubling part of this entire off-season and pre-season quite honestly.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
From the same link you gave, just fresh in:

Browns claimed RB Dennis Johnson off waivers from the Texans.

This move I like better. I guess him and Rainey "compete" for the 3rd spot until week 3 when Gordon has to be added. Solid addition, had a very good preseason, but HOU is deep at RB

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Your 2013 Cleveland Browns FINAL 53

Link Copied to Clipboard