Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If Dawson truly wanted to stay, then the only good reason I can think of to let Dawson go is so that a new, young kicker can come in next year and not be in Dawson's shadow.

Browns improving, but booted decision to let kicker Dawson go - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-...icker-dawson-go

While NFL personnel decisions are always a risky, it's hard to explain what is going on with the Cleveland Browns' kicking situation, where they let proven veteran Phil Dawson go and have backed themselves into a bit of a kicking mess.

During my summer camp tour, I sat down with Dawson, who now kicks for the San Francisco 49ers. We discussed the upcoming season -- but more importantly why he wasn't still in Cleveland, where he spent 14 seasons. He said the team wanted to go in a different direction. Well, the Browns certainly have gone in a different direction.

After spending the summer deciding between veteran Shayne Graham and college free agent Brandon Bogotay from Georgia, the Browns released Graham and found themselves with Bogotay on injured reserve. Enter veteran journeyman kicker Billy Cundiff.

The Browns are improving, with a solid core of youngsters. But many NFL games are decided by three or fewer points. Letting Dawson go in favor of, ultimately, Cundiff doesn't give the Browns the best chance to win those games.

Keep in mind the Browns have well over $20 million of salary cap space, so they could have simply kept Dawson. Granted he's 38 years old, but there was nothing in his 2012 performance to indicate he's anything but one of the NFL's best kickers. Last season, Dawson was money from 30 yards and out (making 21 of 22 -- and from 40-plus yards he was 13 or 13). Does age really matter when a guy goes 7 of 7 from 50-plus yards?. By comparison, Graham was 4 of 9 from 50-plus and Cundiff was 0 of 2 last season.

Kicking in Cleveland's FirstEnergy Stadium is no joke, and the trip down to rival Pittsburgh's Heinz Field is just as challenging as a notorious kicking venue. Dawson knows what is now his former home stadium and its winds -- he is 7 of 8 from 50-plus lifetime and last season went 11 of 11 from 30-plus in Cleveland.

Cundiff has only five career attempts in Cleveland, and is 1 of 3 from 30-plus. He has no attempts from 50-plus. He has kicked off 10 times in Cleveland and has one touchback. Down the road in Pittsburgh, he's a little better -- going 4 for 6 from 30-plus -- but hasn't kicked there since 2011.

Last season, Cundiff kicked in five games, and three of those were indoors. His two outdoor games were in September, when the weather's better, and he was only 2 of 5 outside. The Browns only have one indoor game this season (Minnesota) and their final four games are at New England, at home vs. Chicago, at the New York Jets and at Pittsburgh. That stretch would be a brutal finish for any kicker.

Graham has played for eight teams since his NFL career started in 2001, and he has kicked in Cleveland in eight games. He's 5 of 8 from 30-plus, has no attempts of 50-plus and has only three touchbacks in 36 kickoffs.

When you look at the one-year, $2.35 million deal Dawson got from San Francisco, and go back to the salary cap space the Browns have right now, it looks like a critical error in building the roster for 2013. Dawson was the eighth-best kicker in average yards for made field goals last year and only had one game indoors. Graham kicked indoors for 10 games and was 19th in average yards for made FGs. Cundiff was a non-qualifier because he didn't have enough attempts.

It would be a shame to see the Browns lose, say, three or four games because of their kicking situation this season -- there are so many good things are going on with this club. Because of that and their current kicking situation, it wouldn't surprise me to see three or four kickers get a chance to play for the Browns before this season is over.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
What's Dawson going to say? "They sucked and I wanted to win so I left." He took the high road, that's fine.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
He honestly would help this situation if he said he wanted to have a shot at a super bowl before his career was up. Because right now this looks god awful for the Browns. They look idiotic for letting him go. The one thing we are good at we screw up.. and its not like it would have cost much either. So yea I would prefer it if Dawson would say he made the call. Hes not LeBron James.. Phil spent 14 years here! I was 8 years old when He and the browns started up and now im 22, seems like hes given his all here long enough to go out and look for that ring.. since clearly that chance wont be in Cleveland for at lest 5-10 more years

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the FO wanted to remove the temptation of settling for FGs....

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think that they are planning on bringing in a young kicker next year, and it's easier for a rookie to come in and follow Billy Cundiff than it is to follow Phil Dawson.

That's the only reason I can see to let Dawson walk. (since they didn't bring in a young kicker)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

What's Dawson going to say? "They sucked and I wanted to win so I left." He took the high road, that's fine.

Dawson doesn't have to lie nor apologies for signing on with the 49ers.

For all Dawson had done for the Browns over the years and coming off his best season, Joe Banner thought it would be a great idea to send Dawson packing without a plan to replace him.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... why he wasn't still in Cleveland.... He said the team wanted to go in a different direction

Whoa! This is not what the majority of us believed. This statement lays the "blame" directly at the feet of the FO. Wonder what the different direction was, 'cause I don't see any direction at all...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
JC. Maybe that "different direction" was not franchising him again. A long term contract would have been a different direction. I just can't see how, if he wanted to stay, we couldn't get a deal done in three years ( only one of which Banner had a part in for those that want to blame this solely on him). I forget what a third franchise tag would mean but I believe it exceeds the going rate for a kicker.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Great post YTown.

But not for the actual read.

Now, when any over Phil wanting to leave/the FO kicking him to the curb breaks out(in perhaps 90% of every thread known to man), either of the two ers or even other passersby can suggest they take it to "THE THREAD"!

Longevity-wise, here's thinking that "THE THREAD" could become "The Mother of All Threads".

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

JC. Maybe that "different direction" was not franchising him again. A long term contract would have been a different direction. I just can't see how, if he wanted to stay, we couldn't get a deal done in three years ( only one of which Banner had a part in for those that want to blame this solely on him). I forget what a third franchise tag would mean but I believe it exceeds the going rate for a kicker.

4 years. got to count 2010. teams try to get a deal done in the contract year.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

A third franchise tag means quarterback money for any position.

To all those bemoaning the loss of Phil:

I don't like this FO. I seriously doubt that they have the ability to make this team better in the long term, and I think we will suffer in the long run due to poor drafting.

However, you can't put the loss of Phil Dawson on them. If he wanted to be here, we wouldn't have had to franchise him two times. This was just a separation that was going to happen because Phil wanted to either play for a team close to home or chase a ring.

Phil was a great kicker for us and a very good Cleveland Brown. I wish him the best, but he wanted out. He made the decision, and people need to realize that.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...but he wanted out...

I understand what you are saying, and that most of us believed that to be the case. But how do you rationalize what he said in the article about the team wanting to go in a "different direction"?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Silly me. I thought this would be an interesting article about the Browns improving. Just a sour grapes article about Dawson's exit. I didn't favor the decision ("We didn't want to be too good at the FG thangy. We are going another direction."). But it is gone. How pointless is the second guessing on this, and busting the FO. If every critic is proved out, and we are 100% worse at this for the season, blame is laid on, and we still are where we are. Lousy journalism when you try to gin up a stale story where one no longer exists. Somebody call the ASPCA: These writers flog dead horses, don't they?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
I love Phil, but he isn't here anymore. It's time to move on guys...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I love Phil, but he isn't here anymore. It's time to move on guys...

+1

I see Grossi is still Tweeting about it too. Isn't there something more relevant to report on?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Dawson doesn't have to lie nor make apologies for signing on with the 49ers.

That is a fact. Good luck, Phil, and THANKS!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend

Crazy, I was just to start a post exactly about this. Came to the site and wham here it is.

Given the Browns financial position it make zero sense to not have signed Dawson. In addition, considering Dawson and what he has contributed to the Browns signing was just the right thing to do.

All things considered just a dumb move.

I completely agree with article.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Dawson doesn't have to lie nor make apologies for signing on with the 49ers.

That is a fact. Good luck, Phil, and THANKS!

Exactly. He deserves a shot at a Superbowl. I wish him all the luck in the world. He did his time in Cleveland and did it with class. My only regret is that he wasted all that effort on a team that was a train wreck.

If the Browns have to rely on a kicker to get them a winning season then that's a pretty poor statement. We're too used to the days when the only way we put points on the board was with Dawson. You don't win consistently with a three point offense.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Dawson doesn't have to lie nor apologies for signing on with the 49ers.

For all Dawson had done for the Browns over the years and coming off his best season, Joe Banner thought it would be a great idea to send Dawson packing without a plan to replace him.

Mac, Heckert tried for 2 years (2011 and 2012) to get Phil into a long term deal that would have allowed him to retire as a Cleveland Brown, both years they were unable to reach an agreement and Phil had to be franchised... we obviously weren't going to franchise him a 3rd time for some astronomical amount of money so what makes you think Banner was going to have any more success than Heckert had, especially since Phil wasn't 36 any more, he was now 38?

I will say this, seeing what the 49ers gave him, if he would have stayed here for that same deal, then yea, not giving him THAT deal was a mistake.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
its very simple phil wanted to go so he left. even if they offered him 8 mill a year i am sure hw would not have stayed. He told the press several time he just was not motivated anymore to be here after so many losing seasons and being away from his family.

he had already moved all his family back to texas before the draft even happened so we know he was already gone. time to let him go people and don't blame banner just because he cant create a miracle in replacing one of the best kickers in the history of the nfl.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Going in a different direction can mean a lot of different things. Also, that wasn't a direct quote. I would expect a reporter who has sat down with a player to go a little more in depth with that conversation. Not just paraphrase with a single sentence. I don't know, maybe it's just because I don't agree with him, but the shoddy reporting is raising flags in my head.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Heckert tried for 2 years (2011 and 2012) to get Phil into a long term deal that would have allowed him to retire as a Cleveland Brown, both years they were unable to reach an agreement and Phil had to be franchised.

Wrong buddy both times Heckert did not try to sign Phil he just slapped the tag on him.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
So you would have wanted us to franchise him for a third time and pay him QB money?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't get how many times people can argue about why Phil isn't here anymore. It was his choice, staff didn't offer him contract, beer is cheaper elsewhere - I've heard it all.

It's pointless. Wake up, he is gone and he is with a new, more stable team. Instead of the "this-n-thats", why can't you people just be happy for the man and move on? If ya'll seriously that upset over the matter (and again, I love Phil and was/am a huge fan of his) - then jump ship and become a 49'ers fan...

He is not brown and orange anymore and he is not scoring points for us anymore. End of story, let the horse rest now, get over it... the team is sadly moving on without him, some of us need to also.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Well, unless people wish to accuse Phil of being a liar, I guess this will end those who keep proclaiming this is what Phil wanted to do.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
He's lying.

I don't hold it against him for not wanting to say, "They suck. I'm old and I want to win."

I know people love Phil Dawson, but in the end he's just a kicker. Imagine how Colts fans felt when they cut Peyton freaking Manning (I'm guessing being able to draft Andrew Luck softened the blow).

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

Well, unless people wish to accuse Phil of being a liar, I guess this will end those who keep proclaiming this is what Phil wanted to do.

I've seen multiple reports and comments that Heckert wanted to keep Phil long term. I've heard Phil mention several times that he wanted a chance to win and kick some meaningful FGs. I've heard Phil say he wanted to retire with the Browns. I've heard the Browns say they wanted the same thing... I'm not going to accuse anybody of outright lying, but I feel pretty confidant that we don't know the whole truth of what has been discussed for the last 3 years....

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
PDR said earlier that both sides handled this with class, and I agree. We may never know the entire truth, and outside of message board posters not being able to fulfill their agendas, it doesn't matter.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

PDR said earlier that both sides handled this with class, and I agree. We may never know the entire truth, and outside of message board posters not being able to fulfill their agendas, it doesn't matter.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

If you hate the new FO like mac, Pit, and others..........you are going to put all the blame on the new FO for not signing Dawson.

If you hate the previous regime, you could make the argument that H and H did not get the guy signed long term for two straight years and that Phil was fed up.

If you are rational, you will say that the two sides [Phil on one side and two SEPARATE regimes on the other] failed to get a long-term deal done in three years.

Phil was an excellent kicker. He's gone. Most of us saw it coming for a few years. Time to move on.

Not that some guys will let us move on, though.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We are an entire society who has a compelling need to find somebody to blame when things go wrong as if that were going to make everything alright. It's like crying over spilt milk. You can't make it "not to have happened" by placing blame.

When I was a young parent I once read that if a child spills their milk at the dinner table it does not require a scolding. What it requires is a rag.

In this case all that is needed is to find an acceptable kicker. Considering the injury bug both our young and experienced prospects suffered think we did as well as could be done in getting the guy we got.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

if a child spills their milk at the dinner table it does not require a scolding. What it requires is a rag.

LOL............perfect.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep, the Clowns will regret the day they let Dawson retire a 49'er!

Banner is an anal sphincter!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wrong, Phil wanted more than a one year contract. We wouldn't give it to him.

Had they let Phil go two years ago, Luck or RGIII might have been ours!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I've seen multiple reports and comments that Heckert wanted to keep Phil long term. I've heard Phil mention several times that he wanted a chance to win and kick some meaningful FGs. I've heard Phil say he wanted to retire with the Browns. I've heard the Browns say they wanted the same thing... I'm not going to accuse anybody of outright lying, but I feel pretty confidant that we don't know the whole truth of what has been discussed for the last 3 years....

About the only absolute truth we know is that Dawson sold his house a few years ago which is typically a very clear indication that a player has no plans of staying in that city long-term. It apparently came as a surprise to him that he got tagged.

It's pure speculation on my part when I say that it sure appears that Dawson had accepted he wasn't going to end his career in Cleveland and decided to sell the house. The price to stay was probably at the very top end of kicker money and you don't give that to a guy who's closer to 40 than 30 when you're a team not remotely close to getting to the big game.

I suppose it's way beyond human consideration that the two sides simply had different values placed on how they fit into the others' plans leading to a situation where the marriage had to end...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Legend
Legend
B
Well said.

I'll say it like this.....Dawson is playing the media to his favor. He never inteded to stay and wanted out.

The only way we could have kept him was to pay him Peyton Manning money.

See Ya.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Phil Dawson is a great kicker.
Phil Dawson was not going to get paid in Cleveland and could do better elsewhere.
Phil Dawson moved on with fond memories and no regrets.
Browns fans would be better off if they did the same.
Tough words, but I believe them to be accurate.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

About the only absolute truth we know is that Dawson sold his house a few years ago which is typically a very clear indication that a player has no plans of staying in that city long-term. It apparently came as a surprise to him that he got tagged.

It's pure speculation on my part when I say that it sure appears that Dawson had accepted he wasn't going to end his career in Cleveland and decided to sell the house. The price to stay was probably at the very top end of kicker money and you don't give that to a guy who's closer to 40 than 30 when you're a team not remotely close to getting to the big game.

I suppose it's way beyond human consideration that the two sides simply had different values placed on how they fit into the others' plans leading to a situation where the marriage had to end...

Exactly.

Well-put.

As Freud once said: "Sometimez, a zigar ist just a zigar."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Phil Dawson is a great kicker.
Phil Dawson was not going to get paid in Cleveland and could do better elsewhere.
Phil Dawson moved on with fond memories and no regrets.
Browns fans would be better off if they did the same.
Tough words, but I believe them to be accurate.

well said.

wondering how we are going to incorporate the "Dawson Bar" when we build his statue in 10yrs. Hmmmm, maybe put it on the lakeside of the stadium showing his leg in the follow through, then 50yds away have statue goalposts with the ball touching the "Dawson Bar" and make it obvious it is going through.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:

While NFL personnel decisions are always a risky, it's hard to explain what is going on with the Cleveland Browns' kicking situation, where they let proven veteran Phil Dawson go and have backed themselves into a bit of a kicking mess.

During my summer camp tour, I sat down with Dawson, who now kicks for the San Francisco 49ers. We discussed the upcoming season -- but more importantly why he wasn't still in Cleveland, where he spent 14 seasons. He said the team wanted to go in a different direction. Well, the Browns certainly have gone in a different direction.

After spending the summer deciding between veteran Shayne Graham and college free agent Brandon Bogotay from Georgia, the Browns released Graham and found themselves with Bogotay on injured reserve. Enter veteran journeyman kicker Billy Cundiff.

jc...

Do you wonder why sports writers continue to bring up the subject of why Phil Dawson is no longer a Brown?

One of the reasons the subject will not die is because the Browns front office failed to fill the position of PK until just 3 days ago, 5 days before the first game. Blame the Browns front office for keeping the PKer situation, a subject of interest for the fans as well as the sports media.

Those who want to blame me for discussing these media reports, forget about me..this is not about me...I'm simply the messenger.

I do have an opinion on the subject and will continue to express my opinions. I happen to believe that the PKer is one of the most important positions on a football team...especially in those close games that can be won or lost with a field goal.

Obviously this front office placed a very low priority on the kicking game and I see that as a "gross misjudgment" by Joe Banner. I single out Banner because he and Haslam let it be known, back in Oct 2012, that Joe Banner is in charge of the "football side" of the franchise.

This front office's misjudgment and mishandling of the PK situation could potentially be very costly to the team in terms of the Win/Loss record and heaven forbid, a shot at the playoffs. Those who can't see that, don't want to see it and don't want to face the reality of the situation.

The Browns front office just made the decision to go from one of the "very best" performing PKers in the NFL in Phil Dawson...
...to "one of the worst" performing kickers in the NFL in Billy Cundiff.

...Cundiff only played in 5 games (for the Redskins) in 2012, attempting 12 FGs, making 7 FGs, a 58.3% success rate. A performance like 2012 is only going to make the situation worse.

Now, one issue that we should finally be able to put to bed, is this idea that Dawson was not resigned by Banner because DAWSON WANTED OUT OF CLEVELAND... From the Pat Kirwan article...

Quote:

During my summer camp tour, I sat down with Dawson, who now kicks for the San Francisco 49ers. We discussed the upcoming season -- but more importantly why he wasn't still in Cleveland, where he spent 14 seasons. He said the team wanted to go in a different direction.

Dawson clearly says, the Browns wanted to move in a different direction...meaning Dawson was not in the front office's future plans. Banner simply let Dawson's contract expire, forcing Dawson to find another team to sign with.

If anyone can find an article sourced back to the Browns front office, stating that Phil Dawson told the Browns he wanted out of Cleveland...post it.

If it were true that Dawson wanted out of Cleveland, there would be no reason for our front office not to say so, because it would take the heat off of the Browns front office.

Banner and Lombardi will not say that Dawson wanted out of Cleveland because it would be a LIE...and would very likely compound the criticism of the Browns front office concerning this matter.

I'm hoping that Cundiff has one of his best years which would make everyone forget about this PK mess. In 2010, while with the rats, Cundiff played in all 16 games making 26 or 29 FGs, an 89.7%...I would take that in a heart beat.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum CBS: Browns Improving, But Booted Dawson Decision

Link Copied to Clipboard