Next Thread
Print Thread
#811199 09/04/13 11:28 PM
L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
Ok, its that time I've been putting off for about 7 years..lol, Time to replace the roof on the ol homestead. Older home with no ventilation in the roof/attic has basically baked the asphalt right out. So i got a couple contractors to quote, cheapest was about 9k. Thats seems pretty high to me. SO, i got to thinking about doing this myself, having never roofed before, but thinking this is something every man should be able to do right? So what I have is approx 22sq roof with 12/12 pitch. I know how much tar paper, ice guard, shingles and drip edge ill need. My question is what all tools will i need to do this, including safety. I have a 225psi dual tank compressor with dual tool connectors, so i can use any air tools recommended. Help me with a list guys!

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
oh also any tips for tear off and the actual reshingle would be great too..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
Go to the closest Menards and the will calculate your list.

12/12? You might want a safety rope and harness! And some foam rubber to sit/stand on.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Also, I'm not sure where you live but if there is a Mexican community nearby, with a spanish news paper... get in touch with them for contractors. Around Columbus many contractors sub contract roofing to Mexican crews. The are usually very skilled and fast.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
You can use simple safety harnesses up on the roof. You just nail it to the peak of the rook and buckle yourself in. (Or pop the roof vent and tie around a 2x4 inside. You're going to have to remove and replace the roof vents anyway.) Some people don't like using safety equipment, but a fall off a roof can kill you. It takes very little time to be safe. You can probably buy a harness kit for around $100 - $150 at Lowes or Home Depot.

You'll want a large tarp to put over the driveway to catch debris from the teardown. It's easy to miss a nail here or there, and every little bit helps when it comes to cleanup. I would suggest tarps all around the house. It just helps keep the nails from being throw around by the lawnmower and such.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Also, I'm not sure where you live but if there is a Mexican community nearby, with a spanish news paper... get in touch with them for contractors. Around Columbus many contractors sub contract roofing to Mexican crews. The are usually very skilled and fast.

I just had my roof replaced due to storm damage (insurance covered). The company I went through used a crew of Mexican sub-contractors and they did a great job. I was very pleased with the results.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Be sure to check local codes. I know here and many places have changed to require a 2 barrier system. The old tar paper is replaced by a membrane that seals, then the shingles go up.

Also be sure about a permit your may going to be required to have.

I've done a couple of roofs, but to be honest, I won't do it again, especially if it was a 12/12 pitch. The mess, the work, etc just wasn't worth it for me, but they were jobs helping out family/friends, so there was nothing in it or at stake for me.

A dumpster for the tear off, all fees for delivery and retrieval of dumpster.

Gloves, safety glasses. Maybe some knee pads as well.

Shovel or scraper to remove old shingles and underlayment.

Allot some funds for replacing any damaged or rotting sheathing.

Appropriate nail gun, nails, and plenty of hose.

Cap nails for the underlayment.

If your adding vents you will need the appropriate saws. Preferably go with a ridge vent versus those crappy turbine vents.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Not sure where you live, but ice guard is well worth adding if you live in a snowy cold area.

L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
yeah thanks for the tips guys, I live in Bellevue, ohio, so yeah i planned on the ice guard around the edges for sure, I was thinking of doing roof jacks as well to maybe make it a little safer. Any of those mexican crews around sandusky..lol

L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
as far as tear off, i've seen some people using pneumatic tear off shovels, would those be that much better than a regular tear off shovel?

B
Legend
Legend
B
So let's see. You are going to tear off and replace your roof?

Sorry man, that sounds like a dumb idea.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
um why is that a dumb idea?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Large Hispanic community in and around Lorain ..

B
Legend
Legend
B
Oh, I don't know....having no experience, walking around up on a roof, being 1 guy trying to do what a crew of 5-6 does, if it leaks, you have to figure it out, asking posters on a football board on how to do it....there are probably other reasons.

I am not calling you dumb....just saying that isn't a small job and most people don't wake up one morning thinking they can put on a new roof.

Good luck.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm thrilled just to Wake up in the Morrnin

Legend
Legend
If it was a roof that could be nailed over, then I might disagree with you. I have a neighbor ..... older than me ...... who redid his roof in 2 days by himself. He also re-sided the house himself, and did other heavy work. I really don't know him, so I don't know if he has a history inn the business or not.

That said, I wouldn't take on my roof by myself. (if my back would permit it) As far as the original poster, since there are rook vents that need to be cut in and s on, I would probably suggest a professional. If he doesn't, then I'll just say, remember than roof vents go on the side of the house away from the street only. They do not go on the side visible from the street. If you have a professional team do your roof, ask when they will have the tear off done, so that you and the contractor can look at the condition of the plywood together, and so that you can make sure that they actually cut the holes for the vents. (I have heard horror stories about crews who just nail vents up without ever cutting the holes for them)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

I re-did my roof on my old house about 15-16 years ago. Had a cousin help me tear the shingles off (2 layers!!!), using the shovel method. (I also sided the house after tearing off the wood siding, and blowing in insulation).

Like I said - I did it by myself, aside from having help tearing off the old shingles. It wasn't a big house, granted. Probably about 1200 to 1300 sq. feet. It was fun, I saved big money because there was no labor.....and it was fun. And it gave me an excuse to drink beer on my roof....and it was fun, did I mention that? Hard work, but fun. And again, it was an EASY roof - I didn't have valleys, etc. (the guy I sold it to had an addition put on - contractor did it. Every time I drive by it I see the siding I did, and the siding the "pro" did..........mine looks great still, the addition siding is wavy - probably from being nailed on too tight.....anyway....)

Just helped a friend a few weeks ago re-do his roof. Much bigger house, valleys......much tougher job. Had 8 of us.

AND - this is my only "helpful" suggestion. Where I used shovels to tear the shingles off - HE rented a compressed air shingle puller/remover. Saved an awful lot of sweat. It has the same "shovel" head - about 3 feet wide with the notches on the front (if you've used a roofing shovel, you know what I mean).

Stick the head into the shingles, pull the trigger, and up come the shingles. Move down, repeat, etc.

When I did my house, I borrowed a friends tractor with a loader on the front - positioned that where I was tearing shingles off. Get the bucket full, drive it to the dumpster, dump, drive back. My friend just had tarps on the ground.

And with all of THAT said - we just roofed our house about a year ago (and sided it)......but since this is a 2 story house and I'm scared of heights anyway, we paid a "pro" to do it. They were quick, efficient, and did a great job. Had it done in 2 1/2 days. And this is a much, much bigger house, with a huge roof area. Just over $10,000

Legend
Legend
The last roof I did was a garage roof over at my mom's house ...... and I did that about 20 years ago. I rebuilt the side walls of the garage, and put up vinyl siding. It's still in great shape to this day.

The house is a 2 story with a stand up attic. It's up there. It's a hip roof, so that's not bad, but when they roof needed redone, I didn't do it. I don't like those heights anymore. I don't know why. It never bothered me when I did roofing .... but it does now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would just get more quotes.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
Quote:

j/c

I re-did my roof on my old house about 15-16 years ago. Had a cousin help me tear the shingles off (2 layers!!!), using the shovel method. (I also sided the house after tearing off the wood siding, and blowing in insulation).

Like I said - I did it by myself, aside from having help tearing off the old shingles. It wasn't a big house, granted. Probably about 1200 to 1300 sq. feet. It was fun, I saved big money because there was no labor.....and it was fun. And it gave me an excuse to drink beer on my roof....and it was fun, did I mention that? Hard work, but fun. And again, it was an EASY roof - I didn't have valleys, etc. (the guy I sold it to had an addition put on - contractor did it. Every time I drive by it I see the siding I did, and the siding the "pro" did..........mine looks great still, the addition siding is wavy - probably from being nailed on too tight.....anyway....)

Just helped a friend a few weeks ago re-do his roof. Much bigger house, valleys......much tougher job. Had 8 of us.

AND - this is my only "helpful" suggestion. Where I used shovels to tear the shingles off - HE rented a compressed air shingle puller/remover. Saved an awful lot of sweat. It has the same "shovel" head - about 3 feet wide with the notches on the front (if you've used a roofing shovel, you know what I mean).

Stick the head into the shingles, pull the trigger, and up come the shingles. Move down, repeat, etc.

When I did my house, I borrowed a friends tractor with a loader on the front - positioned that where I was tearing shingles off. Get the bucket full, drive it to the dumpster, dump, drive back. My friend just had tarps on the ground.

And with all of THAT said - we just roofed our house about a year ago (and sided it)......but since this is a 2 story house and I'm scared of heights anyway, we paid a "pro" to do it. They were quick, efficient, and did a great job. Had it done in 2 1/2 days. And this is a much, much bigger house, with a huge roof area. Just over $10,000

yeah thats what I'm looking to do, just take it easy and have fun, theres going to be about 4 of us that will be doing it, I've been trying to find a place that rents a shingle hog, can't find one anywhere. My house is 1600 sq ft. about 20-22 sq i calculated.

L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
Quote:

The last roof I did was a garage roof over at my mom's house ...... and I did that about 20 years ago. I rebuilt the side walls of the garage, and put up vinyl siding. It's still in great shape to this day.

The house is a 2 story with a stand up attic. It's up there. It's a hip roof, so that's not bad, but when they roof needed redone, I didn't do it. I don't like those heights anymore. I don't know why. It never bothered me when I did roofing .... but it does now.

Yeah my house is 2 story, as an army ranger for 10 years, heights don't bother me, but I'm trying to be safe as possible. So i was looking at roof jacks and even a bucket truck to help get it going. Local carters where i plan on getting shingles will drop them right on the roof so that will help. I'm going to replace the valleys (about 36ft worth) and put all new drip edge. I was considering doing the gutters while i'm up there but one project at a time..lol. Plus this house don't have any ventilation in the roof but has a stand up attic. So i'm going to install a powered roof vent with a thermostat.

L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
Quote:

Oh, I don't know....having no experience, walking around up on a roof, being 1 guy trying to do what a crew of 5-6 does, if it leaks, you have to figure it out, asking posters on a football board on how to do it....there are probably other reasons.

I am not calling you dumb....just saying that isn't a small job and most people don't wake up one morning thinking they can put on a new roof.

Good luck.

yeah i know it is a big job, and i guess when i said myself, i meant without contractor, I have 3 brothers that will be helping me..so no I'm not doing it solo for sure..lol

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I would just get more quotes.

This. I bought my house last fall. It needed a roof prior to moving in. I called and got quotes from $12,000 to $6000. I ended up paying $7000 to roof the house and my shop. Calling around saved me thousands. Being around while the work was being done assured that a quality job was done.
FYI... I was in and out of the house moving stuff when the crew was working. At one point I locked myself out. The crew let me in by pulling up some if the boards from the stripped but yet unshingled roof then dropped into my attic and into my house. The guy that did it joked how easy it is to 'break in' from the roof.
Just something for everyone hiring a crew to think about.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

....cheapest was about 9k. Thats seems pretty high to me.

Farm it out to the experts. I replaced my roof 2 years ago (plus new gutters) and the cost was pushing 10 grand. Also they added 2 more ventilators, now totalling 8. Took a professional crew 2 days. Don't try this at home...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Find at least a friend or a friend of a friend of a friend who is actually a roofer. If you don't know how to cut shingles properly in the valleys, if you have them, or at places where the roof butts against a wall, if you have that, then the leaks could drive you crazy.

I have a friend who owned a roofing company. When we're having beers he can't help but to talk roofing. hahaha Some of the simple tricks such as just cutting the corners on some shingles at certain trouble spots can make the difference between a successful, leak-proof job or a future nightmare.

"The science of downhill" is what he calls it. Knowing how to direct the water as it runs downhill. And it will run downhill. Of course. Preventing leaks doesn't always mean spending more money. Most times it simply means knowing how to cut and lay the shingles.

Many of the things he's talked about are things I'd have never in a lifetime thought to do. Or maybe I'd have finally figured it out by the time I finished my tenth roof and fixed the nine leakers before it.

Find a roofer who can direct you in the proper way of dealing with those trouble spots. You don't want leaks. Typically roofers don't fix leaks unless they did the roof in the first place which makes them responsible for them. A roof can leak over your kitchen area and the water can travel along rafters and/or ceilings and drip at the other end of the house making finding the origin of the leak dang near impossible for all but the most experienced.

As far as the work goes it's not that difficult once you understand the basic approach to it. But at the very least find a roofer who will enlighten you on those things that have taken roofers a century of trial and error to correct and then get it right the first time.

I'd look for a roofer with a decade or more of experience.

The work that I do is not that difficult. But without training you will make many errors until you figure out how to do it right the first time. With your roof you dang sure want to do it right the first time.

Find a roofer and pick his brain.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You don't want leaks. Typically roofers don't fix leaks unless they did the roof in the first place which makes them responsible for them.

My pharmacist and her husband are dealing with this right now. Their house is leaking like crazy from a rook that was done 3 or 4 years ago ...... slightly before they bought it. Every roofer they talked to wants to completely redo the roof, because they don't want to be responsible for chasing down leak after leak after they try to repair it.

I have a younger kid do work at my mom's, and he did a great job on the work there, so I felt comfortable recommending him. He did interior work there, but I checked out his references, mostly roofing, and he checked out well. Anyway, he is, at least, willing to look at the job. (she needs the interior repaired too, from the water damage)

B
Legend
Legend
B
Exactly.....a roof leak usually starts far from where it shows.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
what city are you from? if in Cleveland I can tell you for a dumpster call haul away- Bart will take care of you and they are awesome. Plus they have a coupon on their website.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
L
Legend
OP Online
Legend
L
I'm in bellevue, got the dumpter from my waste company. 15yd 210.00 for 10 days up to 10 ton, think that seems fair

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Calling all roofers

Link Copied to Clipboard