Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#811307 09/05/13 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I know this is a case of you get what you pay for, but does anyone have suggestions on GOOD tires? I have over 50k on my current rubber, and they are getting noisy with slapping sounds. Tread is still very good, but I realize that isn't the only indication it's time for new tires. I use size P215/70/R16 if it matters. I may replace with what I have since they have been good tires....Bridgestone Dueler H/T. What say you?

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I always opt for the round ones.

Joe Thomas #73
S
Legend
Legend
S
Always stick with the good stuff with tires. It's usually worth the few extra bucks.

Not sure if you're a Sam's member or not but they usually have pretty good deals, and always offer free rotations/checks whenever you feel like bringing the car in, as long as you bought the tires with them.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I always opt for the round ones.

pfffffftttt......conformist

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess there is no real secret to it...stick with a name brand, buy the road hazzard on them, and buy them from a decent tire store that isn't miles from your home or place of business.

Buying tires is one of the least gratifying purchases a person can make. It's not like anyone is going to walk up and say "hey, nice tires!".

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
My Subaru WRX is all-wheel drive, but the cheap all-season Tiger Paw GTZ tire is okay. Lost some grip, but I doubt people drive fast and etc like I have the urge to do at times

Check em' out if you're looking for "cheap but okay" replacement. They prob come in your size.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I always did Good Year and Goodrich on my Mustang, but at the recommendation of my the guy at the tire store, who also has a Mustang, he recommended General tire, and so far I am happy with them, they were much cheaper than the alternative without getting too cheap to be crap.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
michelin, michelin, michelin, and michelin only That's the only tires we have bought in the last 20 years. Rotate them every other oil change and it's the only tires you will have to buy and put on the car for the next 80,000 miles. Go with the top of the line ones. They are more expensive but they are worth it.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I love my Falkens that I bought from Discounttire.com..

They were 131.00 each + Tax and free delivery. (and the deliver quickly if your in Ohio because the warehouse is in Columbus)

By the way, I have 18 inch tires so you may find a price for your car, is cheaper.. dunno

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I guess there is no real secret to it...stick with a name brand, buy the road hazzard on them, and buy them from a decent tire store that isn't miles from your home or place of business.

Buying tires is one of the least gratifying purchases a person can make. It's not like anyone is going to walk up and say "hey, nice tires!".

but, driving on new tires is seriously a real treat. Few things make a car feel "good" again so quickly as new tires.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I've always had good luck with Michelin's. Put some Continental Cross Contact LX20 on my wife's SUV recently. Seem to ride nice and quiet.

Agree with Peen it is one of the most unsatisfying purchases.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I know this is a case of you get what you pay for, but does anyone have suggestions on GOOD tires? I have over 50k on my current rubber, and they are getting noisy with slapping sounds. Tread is still very good, but I realize that isn't the only indication it's time for new tires. I use size P215/70/R16 if it matters. I may replace with what I have since they have been good tires....Bridgestone Dueler H/T. What say you?

94,489 miles (as of Tuesday) on our H3.......all 4 original tires. (although off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you what kind). I mention that for a few reasons: , if you have good tread left, but you're getting tire noise, definitely get the vehicle aligned, and get it realigned every 10,000 miles when you rotate tires.

As others have said, a brand name is the way to go. I won't talk good or bad about any of them as far as cars go.

I do know my father in law, and an uncle - both in the trucking business, (as in: own several trucks on up to 20 trucks) swear by Michelin tires for their trucks.....and consequently that's what they choose to put on their personal vehicles.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll replace with what I have...it's just a $200 tire. Bah.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but tires have different ratings that have to do with how hard or soft the rubber is. The harder rubber will probably last longer but the ride my be more harsh. The softer tires will wear sooner but the ride may be softer and more comfortable. Of course you can buy a harder tire with a lower mileage rating which would be less expensive whereas you can also buy a softer tire with a higher mileage rating which may be more expensive.

My son bought tires for his '99 'S-10 and opted for the softer-rated tires. His truck rode and drove so much better compared to the harder tires that he changed from. That little truck used to drive like it had solid tires with no air in them. The new tires ride like a dream.

So to judge the tire simply by brand name or mileage rating is not enough. If you bought the brand name my son bought (Uniroyals) but got a harder tire you might hate the ride and handling and be pissed at him for recommending them to you.

Go to this site and poke around. There's a ton of information on tires and that's where we looked to learn about tires. It really helps him make a decision on his new set. Not so much for the "best brand" but for the comfortable ride and handling he was looking for. It will also give you a pretty good idea of what you should be paying for them. They will also ship tires to the garage of your choice so they can install them for you.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the site ddub. Also found my receipt from current tires....65k miles on them. I think it's time.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll replace with what I have...it's just a $200 tire. Bah.

Michelle, might want to shop around. $200 is on the high side. I attached a link to get them online and they are $141. Might save yourself a few bucks. There might be a shipping charge of $30 give or take. I've ordered tires off of tirerack.com and had them shipped directly to a local car garage for me where they are installed.

Dueler H/T

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks, Milk Man. I'm actually using the site ddub linked to and am changing my mind quickly. Looks like a Firestone tire gets very good ratings...hmmm. Also, the site you linked to doesn't have my current tires. Dueler H/T 684 II.

Last edited by DawgMichelle; 09/05/13 08:55 PM.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good deal, that's a great site to buy tires from in the link he provided.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

but, driving on new tires is seriously a real treat. Few things make a car feel "good" again so quickly as new tires.

True enough.....it's why we go around proclaiming we have new tires, hoping someone will say how nice they look.

But no doubt, that lost 1/4 inch of height is noticable to at least the car owner.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Tires for the car...

Link Copied to Clipboard