Print Thread
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

Browns center Alex Mack’s rookie contract is scheduled to expire in March, but he’s not open to striking a new deal during this season, La Canfora reported Sunday, citing an unnamed source.

So Mack will play out the remainder of his rookie deal without contract talks taking place in the background, according to the report. Some players avoid negotiations during the season to prevent them from becoming a distraction.

Mack, 27, has started all 64 games for the Browns since they drafted him in the first round (21st overall) in 2009. He made the Pro Bowl in 2010.

On July 31, Browns General Manager Mike Lombardi said the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Mack fits the profile of a player the Browns want to sign to a contract extension.

“I think Alex certainly has proven that he’s a good player on and off the field,” Lombardi said. “I think he stands for that, and I think he has the ability to continue to play well. So he certainly fits the profile.”

Link

Quote:

Some players avoid negotiations during the season to prevent them from becoming a distraction.

Cough*Peyton Hillis*Cough

D
Legend
Legend
D
Peyton Hillis is a bad example lol. When Joe Thomas, who never opens his mouth to the media and trash talks, says you're a "cancer" I think was the word he used - then you know something is up lol.

I respect Mack's decision though. Focus on the game and the other details will work themselves out. I just hope those "other" details assures him staying in the Orange and Brown. He's a great center.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I imagine that at the very least we will be putting a franchise tag on him if we can't get something worked out.

If we don't get Mack, Haden, and Ward signed to long term deals, I am going to be furious. Hopefully we can get something worked out.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think he wants to see if this program is really turning around.

It has to suck to lose so much.

Good thing the FO is showing the competitiveness and drive that that they expect of the players. I hope that trickles down to the players and the Browns become a competitve club.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Considering how bad the entire line played today maybe we don't want to sign HIM.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Considering how bad the entire line played today maybe we don't want to sign HIM.

Yes, the entire line played bad...including Mack. Heck, even if he chooses to go elsewhere (which I hope he doesn't) continued performances like this will diminish his value.

But wow, they played so bad. Even though the Dolphins' line is as good as people thought it was...our line just didn't show up.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
It was a very pathetic display for our o-line. Downright pathetic.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Was it, really?

We passed on almost every down. Weeds held the ball forever. We got down by 13 points and everyone knew we were going to throw.

Cousins was bad and Schwartz was worse, but come on guys.......there were other factors.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We passed on almost every down. Weeds held the ball forever

Got to give some credit to Miami's secondary; they had very good coverage...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
How do we really know that? They sure as hell didn't show the receivers down field.

I was at games last year and there were open guys all over the field. Weeden never saw them. Who is to say that didn't occur again?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How do we really know that? They sure as hell didn't show the receivers down field.

I was at games last year and there were open guys all over the field. Weeden never saw them. Who is to say that didn't occur again?

One example really sticks in my mind: On Weeden's first INT, we had 4 receivers downfield; the only one even with partial space, was Benjamin, although double-covered. The other 3 were totally blanketed. And yes, the downfield coverage was indeed shown at times...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I would imagine mack wants out of cleveland

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Heard a fan that went to the game on the radio say the exact same thing, and said it happened all day long.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

I would imagine mack wants out of cleveland

Considering our history, do you blame him? Losing gets old after awhile...Mack is a good player, but he is only 1 guy....he can't make the other bums, not named Joe Thomas, play hard and actually play to win like he and Thomas do.

I just wonder if Thomas will come to regret signing that extension, when he easily could have went to a contender with a chance to get a ring before he retires, because it doesn't look like the Browns will be even sniffing the playoffs, let alone a ring, anytime soon....just saying.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Was it, really?

We passed on almost every down. Weeds held the ball forever. We got down by 13 points and everyone knew we were going to throw.

Cousins was bad and Schwartz was worse, but come on guys.......there were other factors.

We were continously throwing even when we were only down by three and six. Not sure why we didn;t give Trent the ball more in the first half. He was busting loose some decent pickups. But it seemed when Miami wanted to pressure us, they did. Especially when they attacked our right side.

Not saying all the blame is on the line, but wow they played crappy and there is nothing you, or anyone else, can say to justify it. Nothing. There weren't any run lanes opened up either. They failed in almost every aspect of a line, specifically Cousins.

We went from a strong line with pass protection, to crap with seemingly just the absence of Lava and Pinkston.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I will say this. Its pure speculation though.

After TRich had some early success he seemed to resort back to his old dancing self. The cameras caught Chud and TRich talking on the sideline and it looked to me like Chud was asking him what the hell he was doing and TRich appeared to be explaining to him what he was seeing.

Maybe Chud wasn't impressed with the explanation and either lost a little confidence in TRich and/or was punishing him somewhat. There was a stretch of plays where TRich wasn't in the game and I thought he might've gotten hurt.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You do understand that the pass rush gets better when teams know you aren't going to run it...............right?

D
Legend
Legend
D
What are you even talking about? Re-read my post, I am unsure why we got so pass happy... I was lobbying for Trent to get more carries.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Because you said we went from a good pass blocking team to crap.

I don't think our pass blocking was bad at all early on. But, when it became apparent we were going to throw on almost every down........it got worse.........as I would expect it to.

Not dogging you, dawg. Just an observation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So is this your reasoning as why nobody should question the OL?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We certainly need to try and resign Mack, he is one of the few quality starters we have on the team. I wouldn't be surprised however if he decided to test free agency to see if he can get picked up by a winning team. Hope it doesn't workout that way though,

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

We certainly need to try and resign Mack, he is one of the few quality starters we have on the team. I wouldn't be surprised however if he decided to test free agency to see if he can get picked up by a winning team. Hope it doesn't workout that way though,

Thats what I would do. I honestly cant believe JT has stayed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wouldn't blame him if he leaves. He needs to get out while he can to salvage some kind of successful football career elsewhere.

Legend
Legend
Nah. Anything can happen from year to year. A loser can become a winner just as fast as a winner can become a loser. If we want him, we'll tag him.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

A loser can become a winner just as fast as a winner can become a loser.

I don't think that statement is true in Cleveland. I have plenty of history to back that up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't sign an extension here either.

Why would you? Who wants to waste their entire career going 5-11?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Mack is a above average center and should be offered good money from other teams, we cant afford to keep him, but the good thing is there are plenty of serviceable center around the leauge we can get or even draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Offer Mack a good fair contact and if he wants to leave than leave it's his right, I hope he dosent but he's earned the choice.

Legend
Legend
I don't believe above average centers grow on trees.. We CAN afford to sign him and we SHOULD sign him..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I'm not good enough at judging the talent along the OLine. I know he's considered above average (no idea if that is true) .. if so, we need to resign him. We have enough holes.

The real question is: if he has legitimate offers to go elsewhere, why would he stay here?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not good enough at judging the talent along the OLine. I know he's considered above average (no idea if that is true) .. if so, we need to resign him. We have enough holes.

The real question is: if he has legitimate offers to go elsewhere, why would he stay here?

Some guys are loyal,, look at Joe Thomas.. He could have gone anywhere and gotten as much or more money.. he elected to stay and sign a long term deal.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Alex Mack not open to contract negotiations during season

Link Copied to Clipboard