Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
WOW. 22.5 seconds left. CRAZY!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Absolutely crazy in Columbus

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think we have a new major rival now. Move over redwings and hello Pittsburgh!

Thank you for moving out of the net Fleury!

Legend
Legend
If you stay in the net, only a very good shot ties the game. If you leave the net there, well....THAT happens. Funny.

We'll need Sperg to break that play down. I don't really see what he was trying to accomplish anyway. It looked like he was only going to stop it and maybe pass it softly to another Pen, but that wouldn't guarantee a zone clearing.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Wow....

Legend
Legend
Hold on a sec, check under Fleury's mask....that's Kirk Hinrich.

Man, you CANNOT make that mistake to end regulation and then let in a softie like that in OT. And heck, four unanswered goals. Wow. BIG win!

[Linked Image]

T
Legend
Legend
T
First of all, I don't blankin believe it! It's coming back to Columbus on Monday!! !!!! Saturday in Pitt, then back here Monday.

After the loss 2 days ago if I had been there I would've wanted to start a chant leaving the arena, " We ain't done yet" clap clap, clap clap clap.

Good to see some Ohio team win a game in the playoffs, or err, be in the series, however you want to look at it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Man, you CANNOT make that mistake to end regulation

Did you notice he went behind the net in a 6 on 5 in the last minute. I'm thinking "What the".

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Guaranteed Game 6 in C-Bus!

I'm drooling like Homer Simpson here....

Legend
Legend
Exactly, if you're going back there in any time of the game, you had better get the puck. But going back there with around 30 seconds left in a 1-goal game, you'll get destroyed if you make a mistake.

Stay in the net and force them to get off a very good shot to beat you.

Happy for the Jackets. Best 2 out of 3 now.

[Linked Image]

T
Legend
Legend
T
I've been Watching for about 20 games to see if they would make the playoffs. Somewhere, a player from around the league has called the Jackets a "pain in your a-word" team. About 6 games ago, because they refused to do what they're supposed to , I started calling them " a bad old putty tat"

With endearment I say, the Blue Jackets are playing like A bad ole Putty Tat! (referencing Sylvester the cat, Warner Bros.)
Good night!

Last edited by THROW LONG; 04/23/14 10:50 PM.

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
This series is just crazy now... Jackets/Pens is going to be a rivalry. I can just feel it. Probably in a similar breath to the Browns/Steelers rivalry. You talk about a roller coaster ride of success and mistakes and you get this. It's a best-of-3 series at this point and if the Jackets somehow steal Game 5 in Pittsburgh, I don't know how loud Nationwide Arena will be for Game 6...

Legend
Legend
Patrick Kane is good.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure of your age but I liken the Jackets to a whole team of Essa Tikkane's! Gritty, crafty guys always in your way!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just Clicking 1 old

If you are a Cleveland area hockey fan, and you root for the BJs then you might as well root for the Ravens and Lebron James. That was OUR franchise, and it was stolen from us and given to CBus instead.

GO PENS!!!

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you are a Cleveland area hockey fan, and you root for the BJs then you might as well root for the Ravens and Lebron James. That was OUR franchise, and it was stolen from us and given to CBus instead.

Why?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I was going to say, the only NHL team stolen from Cleveland was the Barons. And they moved to Oakland and then eventually merged with the Minnesota North Stars, which are now the Dallas Stars.

So then I guess, DAMN YOU DALLAS!

The NHL considers Cleveland a shared territory for the Jackets and Pens even though Detroit and Buffalo could also make the same claim.

I know Sperg and I have said it many times, Cleveland would embrace an NHL team if the Cavs were to ever move. And that bond would become deeper than the Cavs ever had with it's fans.

I've been a Hawks fan for 14 years and I wouldn't change now. So maybe it's a moot point for me.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Why?

This is addressing DC and Punch

I know this fist hand because I was involved in the process.

When the NHL decided they were going to expand they had their eye on the Cleveland market. The franchise that went to Columbus was meant for Cleveland, but Larry Gordon who was the owner of The Cleveland Lumberjacks, and held the rights to professional hockey in Cleveland was not able to complete the requirements because then owner of the Cavs, Gordon Gund would not allow an NHL tenant to lease Gund Arena because he did not want the competition. The Cavs were struggling at that time, and Gund could not see(pun intended) what was going to happen with Lebron turning it all around for the franchise.

So The Coulumbus Blue Jackets were supposed to be The Cleveland Lumberjacks of The NHL.

I ran the Lumberjacks youth inline hockey program and my boss was a minority owner of The Lumberjacks. We were so close that we were in the process of switching over to the NHL youth inline program.

KING

Legend
Legend
So then hate Larry Gordon and/or Gordon Gund.. but I don't think that even compares to the Ravens/LeBron analogy. The Browns were a fixture for 50 years, LeBron a fixture for 7 years who took the team to the finals.. you can't compare that to a hockey team you were promised but never actually had.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I was going to say, the only NHL team stolen from Cleveland was the Barons. And they moved to Oakland and then eventually merged with the Minnesota North Stars, which are now the Dallas Stars.

I think that's backwards, they moved from Oakland to Cleveland and then ultimately merged with Minnesota then moved to Dallas..

I also understand that attendance for the Barons was absolutely horrible for the few years they were in Cleveland..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think that's backwards, they moved from Oakland to Cleveland and then ultimately merged with Minnesota then moved to Dallas..

I also understand that attendance for the Barons was absolutely horrible for the few years they were in Cleveland..

Right, I may have it backwards. It's been a while since I last looked about the details for the Barons.

And kingodawg, I remember a little bit of that talk back in the late 90's but I don't know if I'd use the term "stolen". Maybe more like a missed opportunity. Think about it though, would Cleveland have been able to support the Cavs AND an NHL Lumberjacks team with the Browns & Indians over the past 7 years of financial turmoil in the country and city? I doubt it.

In some ways, I'm glad Columbus got a pro team of their own. It's actually a cool thing for Ohio to have six teams in three different cities. That's usually reserved for states like California, Florida or Texas.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You're correct.
The California Golden Seals became the Barons. ( the 70's edition)
Went to many a game and also played with the Jr. Barons a while.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 04/24/14 12:00 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

The Q sucks as a hockey arena. The sight lines barely show any decent angles of action if you're in the lower bowl. Up in the club level it works. Not too sure how it'd look from the third deck.

Nationwide Arena works on soo many levels for the hockey experience. Bitter tears over the continued ineptitude of the Gund ownership won't force me to change my allegiance to a different team. Go root for buffalo if you're that salty about it

(Just kiddin' about the last sentence)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J/C

The Q sucks as a hockey arena. The sight lines barely show any decent angles of action if you're in the lower bowl. Up in the club level it works. Not too sure how it'd look from the third deck.

Nationwide Arena works on soo many levels for the hockey experience. Bitter tears over the continued ineptitude of the Gund ownership won't force me to change my allegiance to a different team. Go root for buffalo if you're that salty about it

well my bitterness over that situation ruining my career plans made me bitter enough to not change my allegiance to a team that is 3 hours from me.

I was a Pens fan then because I have had quite a few friends who played for The Pens

SO GO PENS!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd rather watch the game from higher up so I can see things develop.
Casual fans like it close I suppose.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

J/C

well my bitterness over that situation ruining my career plans made me bitter enough to not change my allegiance to a team that is 3 hours from me.

I was a Pens fan then because I have had quite a few friends who played for The Pens

SO GO PENS!!

I still don't see how the organization screwed your career plans. They were basically rejected by Cleveland, so what'd you expect them to do, NOT form a team? I live in Columbus and will continue to happily cheer the Blue Jackets as my hometown team while you stay bitter about something that wasn't their fault and root for their opponent.

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
I understand why you'd be disappointed in the fact that Cleveland had tried but backed out of luring an NHL team into their market, but there's no justification in throwing Columbus under the bus for taking advantage of an opportunity. Nothing was stolen from you, it's just that a deal couldn't get done. There's no comparing Columbus to Baltimore/LeBron's actions.

I think these last few home games at Nationwide have proven that CBus is a legit NHL market. The Jackets are Ohio's NHL team, even if not specifically Cleveland's. Ohioans stick together.

Last edited by Fox&Hound7; 04/24/14 02:23 PM.
Legend
Legend
I don't think I would call the Jackets as Ohio's team. Maybe if there were named the "Ohio Blue Jackets"...but they're the Columbus Blue Jackets. No dice for me. That might be like calling the Bengals Ohio's football team when the Browns were away or having the Cavs be Ohio's NBA team. Not gonna happen.

I grew up in Brunswick/Medina and I've always associated myself with Cleveland. Heck, I don't like the Buckeyes too. So it wouldn't have been likely for me to become a Columbus sports fan.

I moved to Chicago around the time the Jackets started playing, so my NHL fandom selection was based in Chicago. And it made sense anyway, while going to school in Toledo, I disliked the Red Wings A LOT.

Back on topic I suppose, I think the Bruins, Avs and Sharks win tonight. Hurts to see LA down 0-3. Very good team, great goalie, & amazing sweater. Oh well.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

In some ways, I'm glad Columbus got a pro team of their own. It's actually a cool thing for Ohio to have six teams in three different cities. That's usually reserved for states like California, Florida or Texas.

Yea that kind of works in Carolina as well.. Charlotte has football and basketball, Raleigh has hockey and all of the college sports.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

J/C

SO GO PENS!!

I still don't see how the organization screwed your career plans. They were basically rejected by Cleveland, so what'd you expect them to do, NOT form a team? I live in Columbus and will continue to happily cheer the Blue Jackets as my hometown team while you stay bitter about something that wasn't their fault and root for their opponent.

The organization didnt screw my plans, and I was already a Pens fan because I have had friends who played for them, and I have been involved with them a few times. The Lumberjacks first few years in Cleveland they were The Pens top affiliate. So guys I became friends with who played for The Jacks ended up playing for The Pens.

I was already bitter over what happened, so I had no desire to leave my team that had friends playing for it, to cheer for a team that I had no connection to.

So GO PENS!!!

KING

T
Legend
Legend
T
I still wish they would have named the team " Sharpshooters". The definition of the word sharp: cutting edge, or well dressed, and so on, there is no downside. And I wanted to see Black and red, Vampire colors. Or FBI uniform colors. Just to reminisce.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just Clicking 1 old

GO PENS!!!

So rooting for a team from Pittsburgh is so much better?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Well, the Wings are all but cooked. Defensive breakdowns, Franzen going into a slump and a case of the nerves in the younger players have done them in. Rask has been phenomenal while Boston has stuck to their sound fundamental gameplan. No one is standing out, they're just all doing the jobs very well, which is simply to clog up the middle, hit hard and take advantage of mistakes. Once you get behind on these guys, there's no coming back. Also, for as big as they are, I think their conditioning is excellent. The Bruins didn't look nearly as winded as the Wings in OT.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Jonathan Toews is good too.

[Linked Image]

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well my ST. Louis blues are doing it again. Getting knocked out of the playoffs in rd 1 has become a yearly theme for this team. No matter how good a season they have they can't seem to get past rd1. Some teams that have come into the league many years after them have won the cup. Between them and the browns I don't know who is worse!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

I'm psyched for tonight's game. Time for the CBJ to continue shocking the world.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
They have that Indiana Pacers mental toughness...Having Ryan Miller in net doesnt help that...In fact that makes it worse in my opinion, save for his olympic/vezina runs...hes been the shakiest of the shakiest.

That he still netted a 1st rounder and players, is a lucky and huge boost for the Sabres...especially since he wasnt going to re-sign.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Quote:

If you stay in the net, only a very good shot ties the game. If you leave the net there, well....THAT happens. Funny.

We'll need Sperg to break that play down. I don't really see what he was trying to accomplish anyway. It looked like he was only going to stop it and maybe pass it softly to another Pen, but that wouldn't guarantee a zone clearing.

Normally in a situation like that, you should probably just stay put, because your defense should be back far enough to get the puck. He was in bad position to try and handle it behind the net. Announcer made a good point that he also did not see the guy coming from behind him.

MAF is one of the most athletic goaltenders the NHL has ever seen. He really is a freak. But the combination of him having mental lapses, and the Penguins being way too sloppy leads to this, and the gaffes that Pittsburgh has had over the last 5 years.

There really aren't horrible puck handling goalies anymore. Most of these guys can stick handle and fire off a good zone-clear, so there really is no excuse for Fleury to not make that play.

So impressed with CBJ though. I think they're doing Columbus and Ohio proud.

They take on the image of what Ohio people enjoy most about their sports. Selfless, team-driven play. Sum of the parts bigger than any one piece. In basketball, that doesn't work. In hockey, it does. That's why my argument that Cleveland stands a better chance with an NHL team than they do with the NBA. You don't need superstars to win in hockey. It helps, but there have been teams that have won without top 5-10 in the league guys... And even then, NHL superstars have different wants/desires than NBA guys. They don't mind smaller cities, cold weather, stuff like that.

There is a thing going around the net right now about this Chicago/St. Louis series that is crazy...

St. Louis played the Kings in the playoffs last year. They won the first two games, and then lost 4 straight...

But not only that, this series with the Blackhawks is shaping up to be an exact repeat, even down to the way the games are being won and who's scored the goals.

Game 1, 2013 - Alexander Steen scores the GW goal in OT to put Blues up 1-0
Game 1, 2014 - Alexander Steen scores the GW goal in OT to put Blues up 1-0

Game 2, 2013 - Barret Jackman scores the GW goal to put the Blues up 2-0
Game 2, 2014 - Barret Jackman scores the GW goal to put the BLues up 2-0

Game 3, 2013 - Blues shutout on the road, outshot by 9.
Game 3, 2014 - Blues shutout on the road, outshot by 9

Game 4, 2013 - Blues blow 3-2 lead late in the game, lose 4-3 in OT.
Game 4, 2014 - Blues blow 3-2 lead late in the game, lose 4-3 in OT.

Game 5, 2013 - Alex Pietrangelo ties the game on his first goal of the playoffs (assisted by Jaden Schwartz) Blues lose 3-2 in OT.
Game 5, 2014 - Alex Pietrangelo ties the game on his first goal of the playoffs (assisted by Jaden Schwartz) Blues lose 3-2 in OT.

If you're wondering what happened the next game, the Kings won 2-1 in regulation.

S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Quote:

They have that Indiana Pacers mental toughness...Having Ryan Miller in net doesnt help that...In fact that makes it worse in my opinion, save for his olympic/vezina runs...hes been the shakiest of the shakiest.

That he still netted a 1st rounder and players, is a lucky and huge boost for the Sabres...especially since he wasnt going to re-sign.

I can't blame the Blues too much for trying to make themselves better. Losing the pick hurts, but draft picks aren't as valuable as NFL picks... It's the equivalent of trading a first round pick if you're the Trail Blazers. Good team already, going to ake the playoffs, might even win a round, or two. You're not mortgaging the future. 1st round picks out of the top 10 tend to spend at least a year in the minors anyway. Plus, I think St. Louis is rock solid as it stands. They've got defense, scoring, firepower, etc..

I think Miller is gone after this run, short of him making a complete 180.. I don't think he needs to carry them into the finals or anything, but he better make people start feeling better about him and his game...

Good thing for Blues fans is that they have a guy in the system that I think will be very good in a year, maybe 2 years. He's playing with the Chicago Wolves right now (their affiliate). Jake Allen, he was up for a bit. He can be very good, especially in that system.

I have absolutely no idea why Tazer was so far up the ice on that game winner last night. St. Louis was on the rush, and Toews is almost never that far out of the play. He really is the most underrated player in the league. Crosby fills up the stat sheet, but Toews does everything that a leader should. The stuff other guys might not be wiling to do if their captain and best player weren't doing it. Guy is a stud.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
It's kinda a bummer for me as a Sabres fan too...

If the Blues get to the conference finals with Miller playing over half the games, Sabres get a 1st rounder instead of what they'll get instead (which I dont know what that is)...I just read that after I posted here...

So...Go Blues!

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NHL topic/predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard