Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bradmss Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
B
ABC News
The Cleveland Browns have received the bad news they were fearing about quarterback Brian Hoyer's knee.

"It's a torn ACL," head coach Rob Chudzinski said Friday at his noon news conference.

Hoyer crumpled to the ground after an awkward slide while attempting to avoid Buffalo's Kiko Alonso in the first quarter of the Browns' win against Buffalo Thursday night. The team feared an ACL tear Thursday night, and it was confirmed in an MRI Friday morning.

"He's been a big part of what we've done the last couple of weeks," head coach Rob Chudzinski said Thursday night. "I think it was a little bit of a shock for the guys at first."

THURSDAY NIGHT: Browns top Bills

THIRD STRAIGHT WIN: 5 takeaways for Browns

The injury is a major letdown for what was already one of the best storylines of the NFL season. Hoyer, 27, spent three years as a backup quarterback in New England. He started the final game of the 2012 season for the Arizona Cardinals.

But given a chance in Cleveland to replace Brandon Weeden, Hoyer led the Browns to wins in his first two starts, against the Minnesota Vikings and Cincinnati Bengals – good enough to have likely secured himself the starting job for the foreseeable future.

Weeden threw a touchdown and completed 13-of-24 throws after replacing Hoyer Thursday night. He had help from veteran running back Willis McGahee, who scored his first touchdown since signing with the Browns after the Trent Richardson trade, and Travis Benjamin, who scored on a 79-yard punt return.

Follow Lindsay H. Jones on Twitter @bylindsayhjones.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Post deleted by HarleyDawg51

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Well hopefully that puts an end to Thursday night football games.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Freeman!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Back to the basement. Enjoy first place while it lasts our next 5 games are brutal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Well, damn!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Honestly if we stick with Weeden we will NOT be .500 .. no chance.

John Clayton seemed to think that we'd be very interested in Josh Freeman. We'll see.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heal well, Brian. Here's to a speedy recovery. We loved watching you play!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well hopefully that puts an end to Thursday night football games.

Why would that be? Players tear ACL's on any day of the week.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Clevelands play the rest of the season will likely continue our national TV drought though

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Not quite as brutal as you might think.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Go Weeden. I think he will step up and be fine.
It aint all doom and gloom

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Man that sucks - thanks for two great games - heal fast.... Hopefully weeden can step it up

<><

#gmstrong
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
I read somewhere that the NFL decreed that every team has to play a Thursday Night game, so we should be on national TV for at least one week a year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Heal fast, Brian. Weeden, we're all pulling for you, buddy! Good luck!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

John Clayton seemed to think that we'd be very interested in Josh Freeman. We'll see.

from NFL.com

5. Weeden's rate stats (95.3 passer rating and 8.2 yards per attempt) against the Bills are misleading. The scouting report on the 2012 first-rounder remains the same as it was after his disappointing Week 1 performance: He moves as poorly as a late-career Drew Bledsoe, holds the ball too long, locks onto one receiver, doesn't read the field, throws with only one speed and is erratic with his ball placement. The Browns can't win the division with Weeden as the triggerman in this offense.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
YOU GUYS CAN CALL ME NEGATIVE ALL YOU WANT I DONT CARE...its like we are cursed...so snake bitten....im so sick of it. Its like some unknown force refuses to let us succeed....dang it im so ticked. With Hoyer in there we actually looked like a playoff team.....with him out...we will be LUCKY to win 7 games......LUCKY......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

from NFL.com

5. Weeden's rate stats (95.3 passer rating and 8.2 yards per attempt) against the Bills are misleading. The scouting report on the 2012 first-rounder remains the same as it was after his disappointing Week 1 performance: He moves as poorly as a late-career Drew Bledsoe, holds the ball too long, locks onto one receiver, doesn't read the field, throws with only one speed and is erratic with his ball placement. The Browns can't win the division with Weeden as the triggerman in this offense.

What were 1 through 4?

1. Water is wet
2. Taxes are due April 15th of every year
3. Every person will eventually die
4. The sun rises in the east

Sucks about the news, but I think we all knew this right away. Oh well. We better get someone in here to take control of this team. Weeden will win one every three games. And Campbell is a waste. We need one maybe two QBs at this point.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ugh. I can feel the excitement being sucked from this fanbase with this announcement. I certainly feel it in myself. We just can't catch a break.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Ugh. I can feel the excitement being sucked from this fanbase with this announcement. I certainly feel it in myself. We just can't catch a break.

nope.....and that bills game will remembered and brought up many times this year....but not as a good memory of a fantastic win, but as the point the season took a turn for the worst.....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Screw that, I say we go kick Detroit's ass for them. GO BROWNS!

Then Chicago.

Then Green Bay

Then the Chiefs.

Then the rats.

Then see how excited you are.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hell will freeze over before Cleveland gets a break. I blame Modell for firing Paul Brown. Both are gone. What now? It really is unbelievable.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Man that's such a bummer. At least he'll get to see his baby born in a couple of weeks. I feel so bad for this kid and had such high hopes for this team (and us).

I guess we'll know shortly exactly what this front office thinks of Weeden. If they do anything with Freeman being available.

Anyway, get better fast Mr. Hoyer. You brought us some excitement this year.

And the next head coach is ......
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well Get better Hoyer. Hopefully you get another shot whether it's here or somewhere else. Time to back Weeden, he is our starter.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I've been thinking since late last night...

...if Gordon doesn't drop that first pass, it's likely a touchdown, and Hoyer doesn't get hurt on that drive.

Sigh. No point torturing myself like that, though. It is what it is.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

...if Gordon doesn't drop that first pass, it's likely a touchdown, and Hoyer doesn't get hurt on that drive.

I thought that too...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I actually think this lets the FO off the hook a little.

Let's say Hoyer led us to the playoffs. What do you do for next season? Do you take the chance that he's not another DA and go into the season with Hoyer as your starter? Or do you still draft a QB in round 1?

I personally think we were winning the AFCN with Hoyer. It was going to make the FO have a very difficult decision to make in the offseason.

I think now with Weeden back at the helm the decision will be crystal clear. This lets them off the hook a little bit. I'm not saying they wanted it or wished for it ... and it was great to see Haslam and Banner so happy with the win ... but the stress of what to do just got a lot easier for them.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
Quote:

YOU GUYS CAN CALL ME NEGATIVE ALL YOU WANT I DONT CARE...its like we are cursed...so snake bitten....im so sick of it. Its like some unknown force refuses to let us succeed....dang it im so ticked. With Hoyer in there we actually looked like a playoff team.....with him out...we will be LUCKY to win 7 games......LUCKY......

I can't disagree with you. With Hoyer I saw what we've been hoping for.. A quick reading, accurate passer. The difference to Weedon was palpable... Finally there was optimism for the season. And in our division, I could have definitely seen us winning it. We wouldn't have gone to the Super Bowl, but at least this year we would make people take notice and earn some respect.

And as soon as that optimism is there, after we've suffered and waited so long for it, it's taken away from us.

I know I'm being negative, but it's just so depressing.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'm not writing off the season. We have an impressive and GOOD coaching staff, first we've had in quite some time.

It's going to make this much harder, but we can still make it to the playoffs.

Feel horrible for Hoyer.

Next man up.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Well now we will DEFINATLY know what we have in Weeden

just stinks...Because I think we already knew what we got....

drafts in May this year right....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Next man up.

I'M BACK, BABY!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I kept thinking of the butterfly effect of that play, too.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Then Chicago.

Then Green Bay

Then the Chiefs.

Then the rats.

cal i hate to say it but that looks like 4 straight losses to me with weeden as qb....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Then Chicago.

Then Green Bay

Then the Chiefs.

Then the rats.

Amen Brother!

There's only one thing to do then. Win the whole (damn) thing.

I do feel absolutely awful for Hoyer. I do think that he had a real great chance to show that he can be a starter in the NFL, and to convince the browns brass that he can be our starter for a long time.

That's over now. We'll be drafting a QB in the 1st round, probably after a trade up.

This puts pressure on the rest of the team. It means that the OL, one of the "best in the NFL" coming into this season, will have to step up and really own that title. It means that the defense, who want to be an elite defense, will have to be that elite defense. That means that they will have to create turnovers, and maybe even score some .... much like the Bears defense does. It means that our special teams will have to be spectacular week in and week out. It means that the receivers will have to work their ases off on every route, on every play. It means that Weeden will have to play to the uppermost limits of his talent and ablity, and that the coaches will have to out him in the best situations to win. They are going to have to help him on 3rd downs, with max protect and/or shorter passing plays that he can identify and thrw quicker.

In short, if this team is going to win, they are going to have to win as a team. No taking plays off. No whining. Just go all out on every play and play to win. Minimize mistakes while forcing the other guys into mistakes.

It is possible to win, even with Weeden at QB. Might it be harder? Sure. We don't know for certain what would have happened with Hoyer with additional exposure though. Teams would have learned his tendencies, and might have figured out how to slow him down a bit. That said, Hoyer did an impressive job, and took the job away from Weeden. Not it's up to Weeden to deserve the 2nd chance he has received. He's not the same guy Hoyer is. That's OK, he can still win with a proper gameplan, and if he works his butt off to get the reads down, and to speed up his own processes. Again, the coaches need to do what they can to help him speed up, and to protect him. Part of Weeden's problem is that he seems to want conditions to be perfect before he lets it fly ..... and he needs to get over that and realize that if he's going to be damned anyway, then he might as well go out with all guns blazing.

My point is that we can still win games, even with Weeden. It will look and be different than it was with Hoyer. We'll need to bring out some of those creative plays we ran against the Vikings to create some big run plays. We'll need to simplify things on 3rd downs so that Weeden can speed up his mental processes. It can be done, and I think that we have the right coaches to do it.

Now get out there are do it!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
It took me a little while to try and figure out why you were posting a picture of Michael Jackson.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It took me a little while to try and figure out why you were posting a picture of Michael Jackson.

Is it the "Man in the Mirror" lyrics reference?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NM Freeman.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hoyer officially out for season w/ Torn ACL

Link Copied to Clipboard