Next Thread
Print Thread
#814607 10/04/13 08:17 PM
D
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
D
we have to address this at some point no RB can gain yards behind them and QB will not make a full year behind them

dawg1965 #814608 10/04/13 08:21 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Our running backs are Willis McGahee, Chris Ogbonnaya, and Chris Rainey.

Weeden got hurt because he whacked his thumb on a helmet. Hoyer got hurt because he scrambled and his leg got mangled.

While our offensive line is far from perfect it is not bad. It looked much better, not perfect, when Hoyer was out there getting rid of the ball quickly.

Also, our front office seems to know that it could use some sort of upgrade as they showed interest in trading for Eugene Monroe.

dawg1965 #814609 10/04/13 08:22 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Give Lauvao a couple weeks before going nuts. If Weeden holds the ball forever and gets hurt it's his own damn fault.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #814610 10/04/13 08:32 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Give Lauvao a couple weeks before going nuts. If Weeden holds the ball forever and gets hurt it's his own damn fault.

True that. It's like night and day difference when Hoyer was taking a snap, and when Weeden is taking a snap. It's the same as last year.

I think Lava will get better and in return, will help the run game. Norv needs to run it more and not put the ball in Weeden's hands much. He got the idea last game on the goal line, running Willis and we ended up a safe and secure TD!

dawg1965 #814611 10/04/13 08:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

we have to address this at some point no RB can gain yards behind them and QB will not make a full year behind them

Just a little over reaction there.. welcome to the board!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #814612 10/04/13 08:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Werent we supposed to have a top five oline this year ? what happened?

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #814613 10/04/13 08:56 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

norv and chud. real coaching and teams fear that if they don't get after the QB they might lose.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
pblack18707 #814614 10/04/13 09:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

norv and chud. real coaching and teams fear that if they don't get after the QB they might lose.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
bbrowns32 #814615 10/04/13 09:26 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here...

they didn't get after the QB in 2012 because they didn't fear the QB. they did not fear him because the general thinking of the players that they had playing time and they didn't have to put in 100% and the bad play calling of the coaching staff. now the players know they have to produce to play and the play calling is better so they are doing what every other team does. going after the QB.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
dawg1965 #814616 10/05/13 06:21 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
65...you obviously don't realize it, but the offensive line is the strength of the offense. We finally have a group of guys who have been drafted by the Browns (except Greco) and have done nothing but get better the more experience they have playing together.

It took time for the entire offense to gel, playing in a new offensive scheme. This offensive line is just beginning to gel...we have not seen the best from them, yet.

...have some patience

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #814617 10/05/13 09:01 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can't take it any more , got to get this off my chest .. This line isnt even average , forget good or improving .. Until the powers that be realize they MUST address the guard play ( for starters ) our running game gos nowhere .. I think it was Toad who mentioned that the Great Grecko would be I nice back up guard and Lava , at his best , is not my cup of Tea. Them the FO will have to look at a lot of tape of the Schwartz to see just how bad he played this season ..

Now I will give you that the FO has done a miserable job of bringing in a real RB !

BADdog #814618 10/05/13 09:53 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Injuries to Pinkston and Lava didn't help. New system and people getting used to it and to start off, a QB (weeden) that held the ball to long. (they were better with Hoyer because he got rid of the ball quicker.)

All contributing factors.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #814619 10/05/13 10:16 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

About the interior line...

The more I think about it, the more I get this gut feeling Mack is gone after this year.

Perhaps signing Greco to a long term deal was an insurance policy if Mack walked or even a down right plan to move him over the center in 2014. I do believe he played some time at Center. Whether or not he could do it successfully is another discussion maybe.

Mack, Lava, Ward, Robertson are all FA at the end of this year. Not to mention Haden, Rubin, Taylor, Little, Sheard, Cameron, Skrine, Gipson, are FAs at the end of next year.

There are a significant amount of decisions this FO will need to make about players starting on this roster right now. It's a good problem to have. A problem we haven't needed to address in quite some time w/ players.

Not sure how the FO values the overall position of Center or even Mack himself but I could see the FO thinking that there may be others more worthy of extensions than Mack on this team with the cap space we have. Especially if the FO thinks Greco can play well on the line, and with the extension a couple of months ago, I have every reason to think they do.

Maybe a LG could be in the future for the Browns in the 2014 draft?

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 10/05/13 10:23 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
MemphisBrownie #814620 10/05/13 10:43 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Or just draft a center and leave Greco where he is.

anarchy2day #814621 10/05/13 11:03 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Of course that could also be an option. I guess it would all come down to who is available at the time you pick and if their upside is better or worse than Greco at LG.

Tackles are tackles.
dawg1965 #814622 10/05/13 11:21 AM
D
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
D
1st of all am not just talking about a game am talking games to come as we have no QB or RB will be anything behind this line
weeden needs no help being terrible(sry to weeden lovers)
if we don't fix this line than its not going to be much fun to watch the next 5 games thank u DEF and ST our line is terrible the right side may I add

dawg1965 #814623 10/05/13 02:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

1st of all am not just talking about a game am talking games to come as we have no QB or RB will be anything behind this line

Now that was an easy read.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #814624 10/05/13 04:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

On the importance of punctuation:

1. "It's time to eat Grandma."
2. "It's time to eat, Grandma."

(Im not really a grammar nazi, I just love to drop in a ready-made joke when the opportunity presents itself-)

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Damanshot #814625 10/05/13 05:56 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Injuries to Pinkston and Lava didn't help.

Those injuries really hurt. We do not have the depth we need on the O-line yet and those injuries exposed it in a hurry.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
jfanent #814626 10/05/13 06:40 PM
D
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
D
Quote:

Quote:

Glad I could get on your level.

dawg1965 #814627 10/05/13 06:44 PM
Legend
Legend
Your not high enough to be on his level yet

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #814628 10/05/13 07:11 PM
D
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
D
Quote:

But am on my way one post at a time.

GMdawg #814629 10/05/13 07:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Injuries to Pinkston and Lava didn't help.

Those injuries really hurt. We do not have the depth we need on the O-line yet and those injuries exposed it in a hurry.

I thought Lava and Dion Lewis' injury KILLED us. Obviously Cousins was a huge problem the first two weeks, but Lewis will continue to be a huge loss the entire season ... JMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
dawg1965 #814630 10/05/13 07:54 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

But am on my way one post at a time.

Given that you had a capital letter and a period in that post, I'll have to agree!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
mac #814631 10/05/13 10:34 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

65...you obviously don't realize it, but the offensive line is the strength of the offense.

Were you huffin' paint before typing that?

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
MemphisBrownie #814632 10/06/13 12:22 AM
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

JC

About the interior line...

The more I think about it, the more I get this gut feeling Mack is gone after this year.

Perhaps signing Greco to a long term deal was an insurance policy if Mack walked or even a down right plan to move him over the center in 2014. I do believe he played some time at Center. Whether or not he could do it successfully is another discussion maybe.

Mack, Lava, Ward, Robertson are all FA at the end of this year. Not to mention Haden, Rubin, Taylor, Little, Sheard, Cameron, Skrine, Gipson, are FAs at the end of next year.

There are a significant amount of decisions this FO will need to make about players starting on this roster right now. It's a good problem to have. A problem we haven't needed to address in quite some time w/ players.

Not sure how the FO values the overall position of Center or even Mack himself but I could see the FO thinking that there may be others more worthy of extensions than Mack on this team with the cap space we have. Especially if the FO thinks Greco can play well on the line, and with the extension a couple of months ago, I have every reason to think they do.

Never thought about it this way, but this could very well be the case. The Browns have had some success defensively over the years, but the offense has been poor year after year. Thomas and Mack have been playing on this OL for some time now with really nothing to show for it, I could see them wanting to move on to seek an opportunity to actually have something to talk about after they retire.

Mack may not be in the future plans, or maybe the FO is just waiting till the end of the year to get him signed to a new deal, we don't know. Both G positions do need addressed, but I feel that this FO really likes Greco. Lavaman is a starter quality G, not great but not going to be replaced easily, meaning the Browns will most likely need to use a high draft pick to replace him.

I want to see how the Browns run game improves after Lava gets his play back under him.

MrUniverse #814633 10/06/13 12:32 AM
Legend
Legend
You just don't let above average linemen who've started every game since joining the league walk. Our OL has issues, but Mack isn't one of them. Why disrupt one of the few positions where we have stability?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #814634 10/06/13 01:13 AM
Legend
Legend
Sometimes, it really can be like a pack of dingoes around here....

Mmmmmph- Pups really do have to 'earn their places in this pack' ...or get devoured by those they seek to join.

Y'all can be rough.

Somtimes, I'm surprised I lasted long enough to even get a foothold on this forum. Even now, sometimes that foothold STILL feels kinda shaky- after all these years.

Browniefans ain't playin'... they're 'For Real,' yo.

I gots me a 'Hometown Dawg' who came over to us from the Lions when we Re-entered in '99.... all because of his real-life Friendship with me. (An actual NFL convert to another team... and it's 'His Browns,' now, win or lose.) He grew up in Michigan, rooted for the Lions and Wolverines throughout his 'wonder years' (even went to school at U of M)... and now, he's one of us.

His 2 sons were raised as Browns fans from their Elementary School days. Both are in college now, and both still post up on my FB page, to express their support for the team.

My Boy has been a faithful, perennial 'lurker' for all those years, and has (privately) expressed reluctance to post, because of how raw we Dawgs can sometimes get. I've told him that most of us are more bark than bite- and it's 'all good in the hood'... but you Dawgs can sometimes scare the bejeebus outta would-be posters like him.

I've often wondered how many we've repelled by our words at this incredible fansite... when we could have been adding to the ranks of Browns Nation.

When I personally met all you Dawgs at the Cleve/Seattle game a couple years ago (the one where Pauly gifted me with the official white "BBB" baseball cap?) -That game tix was a birthday gift from him to me. My Dawg was so "bought in" to our family, he gave me my first opportunity to see a Browns win (in person) since I was nine years old... and attended the one-and-only game I ever saw with My Father (R.L. Clemens, 1926-1979).

With all the familiarity that comes from being 'pack members in good standing,' it's sometimes easy to forget that some of us are still new to the Browns Family.... and need our help and acceptance to 'grow the ranks.'

Just a bit of 'welcoming vibe' might be in order, numbers/sitehits- wise.

Just sayin', here.

YOUR personal mileage may vary, from post to post... and that's all good, too.

Work your "Dawgdom" as you need to... it's all good.

BUT- please remember: some 'pups' may need some hands-on help from the Big Dawgs.

It's probably how D'quell and JoeT handle the rooks in the locker room. Can't we do the same with ours?

Just felt the need to share,
Clemmy.

To '65: Welcome to the boards!

Stand up!!!! ...and make your place here.
These Dawgs will accept you, if you bring 'game' to the discourse.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

All my best- from one Browns fan to another,
Clem.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #814635 10/06/13 06:45 AM
D
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
D
Quote:

Sometimes, it really can be like a pack of dingoes around here....

Mmmmmph- Pups really do have to 'earn their places in this pack' ...or get devoured by those they seek to join.

Y'all can be rough.

Somtimes, I'm surprised I lasted long enough to even get a foothold on this forum. Even now, sometimes that foothold STILL feels kinda shaky- after all these years.

Browniefans ain't playin'... they're 'For Real,' yo.

I gots me a 'Hometown Dawg' who came over to us from the Lions when we Re-entered in '99.... all because of his real-life Friendship with me. (An actual NFL convert to another team... and it's 'His Browns,' now, win or lose.) He grew up in Michigan, rooted for the Lions and Wolverines throughout his 'wonder years' (even went to school at U of M)... and now, he's one of us.

His 2 sons were raised as Browns fans from their Elementary School days. Both are in college now, and both still post up on my FB page, to express their support for the team.

My Boy has been a faithful, perennial 'lurker' for all those years, and has (privately) expressed reluctance to post, because of how raw we Dawgs can sometimes get. I've told him that most of us are more bark than bite- and it's 'all good in the hood'... but you Dawgs can sometimes scare the bejeebus outta would-be posters like him.

I've often wondered how many we've repelled by our words at this incredible fansite... when we could have been adding to the ranks of Browns Nation.

When I personally met all you Dawgs at the Cleve/Seattle game a couple years ago (the one where Pauly gifted me with the official white "BBB" baseball cap?) -That game tix was a birthday gift from him to me. My Dawg was so "bought in" to our family, he gave me my first opportunity to see a Browns win (in person) since I was nine years old... and attended the one-and-only game I ever saw with My Father (R.L. Clemens, 1926-1979).

With all the familiarity that comes from being 'pack members in good standing,' it's sometimes easy to forget that some of us are still new to the Browns Family.... and need our help and acceptance to 'grow the ranks.'

Just a bit of 'welcoming vibe' might be in order, numbers/sitehits- wise.

Just sayin', here.

YOUR personal mileage may vary, from post to post... and that's all good, too.

Work your "Dawgdom" as you need to... it's all good.

BUT- please remember: some 'pups' may need some hands-on help from the Big Dawgs.

It's probably how D'quell and JoeT handle the rooks in the locker room. Can't we do the same with ours?

Just felt the need to share,
Clemmy.

To '65: Welcome to the boards!

Stand up!!!! ...and make your place here.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

All my best- from one Browns fan to another,
Clem.

Thank you clemdawg, we need more fans like you on here.

Clemdawg #814636 10/06/13 08:05 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We all have an opinion and something valuable to share, but I've found it helpfull to think twice before making a post. Ease yourself onto the Board until you feel comfortable. Remember: Respect is slow to be gained....but quick to be lost. Above all, enjoy the camraderie.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
MrUniverse #814637 10/06/13 08:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Couldn't agree less.

Mack isn't the problem and he's not going to be that expensive to sign and we have the money to do it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
OverToad #814638 10/06/13 08:35 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

65...you obviously don't realize it, but the offensive line is the strength of the offense.

toad...You licking toads again?

Was this offensive line "junk" last season?

Here, I'll even help you out.. web page

I believe it is safe to say that the Browns offensive line was the strength of the offensive team in 2012 and apparently others thought so too.

So, is the same group of Olinemen that played well last season, you suddenly see them as "junk" !

Anyone knowing anything about "real football", especially the offensive line, would know there are reasons the Browns Oline has not performed to the same level they did last season..

...injuries to Lauvao and Pinkston left the Browns with using the 7th round rookie at RG or Cousins...Cousins was chosen and had a very rough start, especially his first two games. He did get better in his 3 and 4 th starts...Lauvao returned to start against the Bills after missing the first 4 starts.

The Bills game was the first time the entire offensive line played together in this regular season. The Browns Oline is just beginning to gel and they will improve as they gain experience playing in Chuds new offensive scheme.

In an attempt to explain the challenges this OL unit was facing, learning a new offensive scheme...someone said this..

"(On how cohesive he expects the offensive line to be): "Well, with a new system and new terminology it will take some time. Those guys in my opinion and in my experience are the toughest to coordinate, to get that communication that you need to get those guys playing together that you want. That does take some time. Having George Warhop here, he’s done a fantastic job. He has a relationship with them. I think that has really helped in that way. They are learning a new system, they are learning new terminology. George is here and he can translate to help get them on the right page."

web page

Stop licking those toads, Toad !

mac #814639 10/06/13 08:43 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that having Weeden as our qb makes the OL look much worse. I didn't see any OL hating threads when Hoyer was in there. Amazing how they just went away.

On the other hand, I don't think they have played great, either. The run blocking has been poor, although we have had problems at RB, too. Richardson couldn't find a hole to save his life and while McGahee sees them, he has been slow to the hole.

I think we should try and improve the line, but I would not make another huge investment on the OL in the upcoming draft.

Versatile Dog #814640 10/06/13 09:54 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I think that having Weeden as our qb makes the OL look much worse. I didn't see any OL hating threads when Hoyer was in there. Amazing how they just went away.

On the other hand, I don't think they have played great, either. The run blocking has been poor, although we have had problems at RB, too. Richardson couldn't find a hole to save his life and while McGahee sees them, he has been slow to the hole.

I think we should try and improve the line, but I would not make another huge investment on the OL in the upcoming draft.

For the offensive line, the most difficult part of learning a new offensive scheme is learning the "run blocking" part of the new playbook.

Before everyone starts judging the talent of this Oline, you might want to allow them the time needed to actually learn the new offensive system. Just as Chud attempted to explain (above) to a reporter, "patience" is needed to allow the Oline time to gel.

I will post what Chud said, again...

"Well, with a new system and new terminology it will take some time. Those guys in my opinion and in my experience are the toughest to coordinate, to get that communication that you need to get those guys playing together that you want. That does take some time. Having George Warhop here, he’s done a fantastic job. He has a relationship with them. I think that has really helped in that way. They are learning a new system, they are learning new terminology. George is here and he can translate to help get them on the right page."

As for the Weeden/Hoyer comparison...two different types of QBs...

Weeden..the one who seems to look at his long options first and before checking down.

Hoyer...the one who seems to read his short options first and will get rid of the ball at his first opportunity.

If Weeden could learn to mix some dinking and dunking quick passes in with his deep passing game, he could become a better QB.

Hoyer spent his first 3 seasons with the Patriots, learning under Tom Brady and their coaching staff. Hoyer's style is very similar to Brady's game.

Hoyer seems to fit Chuds offensive system better than Weeden...the big question remains, can Weeden learn to dink and dunk?

The RB situation was created by our front office. It is true that Richardson did not look very good running the ball behind this offensive line. Richardson did look better last season, running Shurmur's offensive scheme behind this offensive line.

So did Richardson change...or did the Oline change?

If you are honest, you will admit, the Oline changed as they struggle to learn Chuds new playbook and as Chud pointed out above, it takes time for Oline to gel. The run blocking is the hardest and last part of the blocking scheme an Oline unit learns when changing playbooks.

Our Oline did not do Richardson any favors as there was rarely a hole where the run was supposed to go...thus Richardson was left to find his own hole.

Richardson's running strength is hitting a hole between the tackles then cutting to daylight. So far this season, the offensive lines greatest weakness is opening a hole between tackles. Yea, Richardson didn't look good, but the offensive line's run blocking between the tackles was worse.

I don't care who the running back is, they won't look good if their Oline does not open holes for them. The performance Richardson turned in this season was directly tied to the quality of run blocking his Oline gave him.

...and the hardest part for an Oline learning a new offensive scheme, is the "run blocking". Richardson looked bad because the Oline is still learning to run block Chud's new offense.

...yes, I'm trying to drive this point home, so everyone gets it.

It sure would help our QB if defenses respected our running game. Hopefully, with Lauvao back, it will help the Oline to improve their run blocking.

We have not witnessed the finished product yet...this Oline will get better as they gain experience together, running the new offensive scheme...THE BEST IS YET TO COME.

Last edited by mac; 10/06/13 10:05 AM.

mac #814641 10/06/13 10:19 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow. Do you enjoy contradicting yourself?

mac #814642 10/06/13 10:26 AM
D
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
D
Quote:

65...you obviously don't realize it, but the offensive line is the strength of the offense. We finally have a group of guys who have been drafted by the Browns (except Greco) and have done nothing but get better the more experience they have playing together.

It took time for the entire offense to gel, playing in a new offensive scheme. This offensive line is just beginning to gel...we have not seen the best from them, yet.

...have some patience

ok I can agree they might be our strength but that's not saying much than is it .Just saying

dawg1965 #814643 10/06/13 10:29 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
We need a right guard....Draft a solid RG and Schwartz will be fine, he's having problems cause he's tring to help our RG to much,

We will address the RG position in the off season

ClayM57 #814644 10/06/13 11:33 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

We need a right guard....Draft a solid RG and Schwartz will be fine, he's having problems cause he's tring to help our RG to much,

We will address the RG position in the off season

I'm not sure if we'll address it or not.

What I do know, is Schwartz looked much better in his rookie year than he did with Cousins in there. When Lavau was our RG last year, Schwartz did fine.

So I agree with your premise when we had to play Cousins. Now that Lavau is back, I don't believe we can blame the problems of Schwartz on the play of the RG.

So to me, it's one of two things;

1. Either Schwartz will return to the level of his play of last year, or better.

2. Teams have film on Schwartz and have found weaknesses in his game to exploit.

Either way, it's obvious to me that Schwartz did fine with Lavau as our RG last year and I see no legitimate reason why this year should be any different.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
OverToad #814645 10/06/13 12:32 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I think he was huffing gasoline.

dawg1965 #814646 10/06/13 01:20 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Thank you clemdawg, we need more fans like you on here.

What the hell do you know about what we need on here?!

lol

Welcome to the board '65. Stand in. As Clem was saying, you need a bit of a thick skiin at first because the Dawgs will try and rattle your chain and bite a little bit until they see you can take it. When they see that you can you'll be a part of the pack.

Just don't disagree with me about anything!

lol

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum OL help

Link Copied to Clipboard