Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#817345 10/14/13 11:54 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Indians and Reds out so we're not even going to talk baseball? I'll start off the thread with this...

N
Legend
Legend
N
Boston v. Detroit - ugh. Can they both lose?

Dodgers v. St.L - at least the Cardinals built their team through amazing drafting. I'll cheer for them.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
After dealing with the Lion fan yahoos that were sitting by me at the game yesterday, I've become a Red Sox fan for this post season. I hope Detroit never wins another championship in any sport ever again.

When you are at an opposing teams stadium, you need to act with some class and dignity. Don't act like your team is on the verge of becoming a dynasty. I've had great experiences with Lions fans in the past, and in fact a few did apologize to me after the game that saw what idiots their "brethren" were being. /rant

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
All the bloated payrolls in the league championship series'?

No thanks.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm kinda, sorta, in a way, rooting for Victor Martinez. (He smoked those doubles last night.) Mostly, I don't have a dog in the fight, but I still watch because its baseball, and pretty soon it'll be over for the year and all the sports media will be drowning in hoops. To hoops I say "Feh".

Dave #817350 10/14/13 02:28 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Grew up a Tigers fan. Anymore I don't care for baseball. Haven't really watched a game in years. That said, I kept an eye on both games this weekend. Flipping from football occasionally.
I hope the Tigers win as Boston, as a city, doesn't need another championship. Enough is enough. If the Tigers don't win though... No sleep lost.
I'll agree that when baseball season is over it means more hoop talk. Basically meaning sports radio is dead to me until that season is over. Also meaning more channels of unwatchable garbage to flip through. Meh...double meh to the NBA.

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
The NBA talk from the national media is nauseating. I tend to stick with local coverage, or go to NBA TV where there is equal coverage of all teams.

I am excited for the Cavs though.

As much as I love hockey I have had a hard time getting into the season. I thought last year with condensed schedule, it was a lot more fun.

Legend
Legend
Both LCS series have been very good.

As much as I dislike both AL teams, it's been very good drama. Heck, the Red Sox are #2 on my least favorite sports teams list, after the Steelers, and I couldn't help but smile after that grand slam last night. That was special. It didn't hurt to see Hunter flying into the bulley either.

At this point, I hope the Cards sweep the Dodgers and are fully rested to crush either AL team.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Since my season ended on Wednesday, Go Tigers.

Friggin' Cardinals.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hope Detroit never wins another championship in any sport ever again.

Gotta get you to a Red Wings game.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #817355 10/15/13 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The Red Sox are currently 8-68 with 38 strikeouts in the series.

Legend
Legend
and could be leading the series after tonight

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I'll say it again, as much as I dislike both teams, they just gave us a 3rd straight amazing game. Wow.

Also, the Cards need to shut up (as much as I respect their franchise). The Braves became the police team over this season and immediately became the least favorite team in baseball. The Cards need to worry more about getting outs than how the Dodgers are celebrating after hits.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
The Cardinals are an incredibly well run franchise. They could easily have been going for a 3-peat if they didn't choke a 3-1 lead versus San Fran.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'm going up to Detroit for Game 4 tonight! I've never been to a postseason game. I'm excited!

Go Sox!

Legend
Legend
Have fun.

Where ya sitting?

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Playoff anything is always intense. I went to the '95 ALCS game 4. I was 14 and went with my dad (that was the infamous Slider falling off the outfield wall game, although we missed it because we were watching some drunk idiot get his ass kicked by the cops in the concourse)

The only other playoff game I went to was the second Blackhawks playoff game of their new era. I was literally passing beers the entire game. It was the loudest I have ever been for any closed indoor game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Got to see a post season game against the Twins in either 84 or 86. Don't remember which. This was at the old Tigers stadium. Great environment. Crappy, beaten up old stadium. Loved that place.

[Linked Image]
1st String
1st String
j/c I don't follow baseball very much but I do like to watch post-season on the premise of watching the best of the game. I follow NBA even less but still watch some post-season.
. Never watch NHL. Any sport where fighting is the reason to play is not a sport.

Groza76

Go Browns, WIN or lose, forever!
Groza76 #817364 10/17/13 07:17 AM
Legend
Legend
j/c Detroit would be better off letting Benoit and another reliever pitch the first 2 innings and then bring in the starters to finish off the games.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #817365 10/17/13 07:32 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c Detroit would be better off letting Benoit and another reliever pitch the first 2 innings and then bring in the starters to finish off the games.

good point

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Groza76 #817366 10/17/13 08:44 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

j/c I don't follow baseball very much but I do like to watch post-season on the premise of watching the best of the game. I follow NBA even less but still watch some post-season.
. Never watch NHL. Any sport where fighting is the reason to play is not a sport.

Fighting is not the reason to play.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

There is a growing movement to ban fighting from the NHL, maybe not a strong movement, but another push is coming. The new helmet rule and a few random accidents are pushing the NHL and the players to find a new way. Plus, I know marketing people would like to remove it to make it more "family acceptable" too. I get that the purists think it's necessary, I just don't see it, though I understand the argument. All other sports with big, hulking, mean men can have a rule in place to outlaw or strongly discourage fighting, why can't the NHL?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I gotta say, the Detroit fans were awesome last night. I had one incident with a drunk guy going too far and I wanted to knock him out, but you're gonna have that in every crowd lol.

Overall though, yeah, I took a lot of crap for my Red Sox stuff, but it was all in good fun. Wish it could have been a better game, but it was a really fun experience.

Legend
Legend
Ya, last night's game was a real stinker, the first of the LCS round. Too bad you had to sit through it.

Ya, there's always one or two fans that can't act like adults. Usually it's the beer or they're just horrible people ( )

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is a growing movement to ban fighting from the NHL, maybe not a strong movement, but another push is coming. The new helmet rule and a few random accidents are pushing the NHL and the players to find a new way. Plus, I know marketing people would like to remove it to make it more "family acceptable" too. I get that the purists think it's necessary, I just don't see it, though I understand the argument. All other sports with big, hulking, mean men can have a rule in place to outlaw or strongly discourage fighting, why can't the NHL?

Most purists could care less about fighting, that's actually something that has always drawn casual fans.

If they removed fighting, I wouldn't have a problem with it. This is coming from someone who has actually been in a fight on the ice. Did it once and said never again.

It's not tolerated at any level other than pro and for some reason major junior hockey (North American, fighting is banned in European major junior)

I don't care for it, because the guys that are actually good at it, are usually terrible hockey players, and the guys that are good hockey players usually aren't.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

...because the guys that are actually good at it, are usually terrible hockey players, and the guys that are good hockey players usually aren't.

Wasn't there a fight recently with a short goal-scoring guy and a gigantic goon? The goon wanted to drop the gloves and the other guy started whacking his legs with his stick, which is a no-no to swing the stick at all. But then the NHL essentially slapped him on the wrist with a 4-game preseason suspension, which he probably enjoyed. I think they saw what was really happening, a big goon was trying to fight a small star player and let him get away with the stick bashing.

And by all rights, the goon should have been going after another goon. Mr. Tough Guy wanted to beat up someone 75 pounds lighter. Jackass.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

...because the guys that are actually good at it, are usually terrible hockey players, and the guys that are good hockey players usually aren't.

Wasn't there a fight recently with a short goal-scoring guy and a gigantic goon? The goon wanted to drop the gloves and the other guy started whacking his legs with his stick, which is a no-no to swing the stick at all. But then the NHL essentially slapped him on the wrist with a 4-game preseason suspension, which he probably enjoyed. I think they saw what was really happening, a big goon was trying to fight a small star player and let him get away with the stick bashing.

And by all rights, the goon should have been going after another goon. Mr. Tough Guy wanted to beat up someone 75 pounds lighter. Jackass.

Yeah, that was some scrub trying to bait Marian Gaborik into a fight.

It's just dumb. The only argument for a fight is that it can lift the spirits of your team. It gets the crowd going.

But playoff hockey features almost no fighting, and that is by far the most watched hockey, so taking fighting out would definitely work.

S
Legend
Legend
S
ps, sorry for hijacking this topic but everyone knows playoff hockey >>> playoff baseball trololololololol

Legend
Legend
And not just SC playoff hockey, Olympic hockey is fast, exciting and doen't allow fighting too. I normally don't turn on anything Olympic related, but the hockey game are ALWAYS on my TV. Of course, the national teams are built with all stars, so I can understand those players accepting the fighting ban easier then a full regular NHL roster, but the format works and the fans don't seem to care or notice that fighting is removed.

And yes, NHL playoffs are WAYYYYY better than the MLB playoffs. But that's not to say they stink. I actually like the MLB playoffs better than the NFL playoffs. Maybe that's because I've seen so many Indians playoff games that even a Tigers/Red Sox game reminds me of Cleveland in the late 90's.

[Linked Image]

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Ya, last night's game was a real stinker, the first of the LCS round. Too bad you had to sit through it.

Ya, there's always one or two fans that can't act like adults. Usually it's the beer or they're just horrible people ( )

What?! It was a great game...as a Tigers fan. I'd love it if the next two games are identical. I know many would like to see a closer game but I hate the Sox. So in my opinion watching them get drilled brings me extra joy.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'm hoping last night wakes up our bats a little bit.

We still struggled to drive runs in after getting guys on, but we did have 12 hits so hopefully that can get us rollin' for these next 3 games.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I wish the Red Sox would shave their stupid Amish beards. They look like a bunch of extras for the sequel to "Deliverance" ("Deliverance II - Ned Beatty's Revenge").

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I gotta say, the Detroit fans were awesome last night. I had one incident with a drunk guy going too far and I wanted to knock him out, but you're gonna have that in every crowd lol.

Overall though, yeah, I took a lot of crap for my Red Sox stuff, but it was all in good fun. Wish it could have been a better game, but it was a really fun experience.

You should have been there back in the day in the old Tiger Stadium when bleacher tickets were 1.50 and beers were less than a buck. It got so bad that they shut the bleachers down for a month. Very few people attempted to sit back there with opposing team shirts or caps on.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #817379 10/18/13 01:50 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
1 win away from the World Series!

Fortunately that win has to come at home.

Unfortunately that win also has to come from beating either Scherzer or Verlander.

Legend
Legend
I've written the Tigers off, as Boston just appears to want it more. But you made me think of something. It's probably pretty rare that a team beats either Verlander or Scherzer twice in a row.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #817381 10/18/13 06:32 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I've written the Tigers off, as Boston just appears to want it more. But you made me think of something. It's probably pretty rare that a team beats either Verlander or Scherzer twice in a row.

unfair to even state as most teams don't get to face them twice in even a season (and both are different pitchers this year --- Max for the better, Justin for the worse).

even still:

NYY, Seattle, KC, Chicago-WS, and Minnesota each beat Detroit twice in a row this season when Verlander started.

Only 2 teams have beaten Detroit twice in a row when Scherzer has started. Chicago White Sox and Boston (their last win & one in September).

#gmstrong
jfanent #817382 10/18/13 10:05 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Fielder's bat, or lack there of, this post season is killing us.

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
With Torii Hunter and Austin Jackson slumping, Cabrera is coming to bat with the bases empty a lot. He's also not getting much to hit with Fielder slumping badly (.211) behind him in the order. Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta have been the Tigers' best hitters in the LCS, but have not had many opportunities to drive in runs with Jackson, Hunter, Cabrera, and Fielder hitting a combined .240 in front of them in the batting order. You have to give credit to the Red Sox pitchers - I was particularly impressed by Lackey the other night, plus their bullpen has been lights out.

Dave #817384 10/19/13 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Fielder slumping badly (.211)

That's not even 'slumping' for Prince Fielder. That's just who he is in the postseason.

In 38 career postseason games, Prince Fielder is hitting .199 with 5 HR and 11 RBI.

With Detroit, in 23 games he's hitting .202 with 1 HR and 3 RBI.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum MLB Postseason

Link Copied to Clipboard