Print Thread
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns promoted wide receiver Tori Gurley and cornerback Julian Posey from their practice squad to the active roster, placed undrafted rookie safety Josh Aubrey on injured reserve with an injured ankle and waived running back Bobby Rainey, the team announced this afternoon.

Aubrey sprained an ankle and knee during practice Thursday, coach Rob Chudzinski said. A team spokesman said Aubrey’s injured ankle is the reason he was put on IR, though it’s not broken.

Here is the news release from the Browns about the roster moves:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Friday promoted Tori Gurley and Julian Posey to the active roster from the club’s practice squad. In addition, the team placed Josh Aubrey on injured reserve (ankle) and waived RB Bobby Rainey.

Gurley, a 6-4, 230-pound wide receiver, is a first-year NFL player. He appeared in the Browns’ first two games and recorded one catch for 15 yards, then spent the past four weeks on the team’s practice squad. Gurley appeared on the practice squads of Minnesota (three weeks), San Diego (three weeks), Tampa Bay (two weeks) and Oakland (two weeks) in 2012 after spending the entire 2011 season on Green Bay’s practice squad.

A two-year letterman at South Carolina, Gurley entered the NFL following his redshirt sophomore season. A native of Rock Hill, S.C., he graduated from Rock Hill High School.

Posey, a 5-10, 190-pound defensive back, is a first-year NFL player out of Ohio University. He was signed to the Browns’ practice squad on Sept. 2, after spending training camp with the Dolphins. In 2012, Posey appeared in two games with Miami and spent 11 weeks on the Dolphins’ practice squad. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent, Posey spent 15 weeks on the New York Jets’ practice squad in 2011.

Posey is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, where he graduated from La Salle High School. His younger brother, DeVier, is a wide receiver for the Houston Texans.

Aubrey, a rookie defensive back, appeared in six games on special teams. He recorded one special-teams tackle and rushed for 34 yards on a fake punt at Minnesota on Sept. 22.

Posey will wear No. 38 and Gurley will wear No. 81.

Link

Rainey was not good at all. Hopefully Fozzy can be an upgrade over him.

Legend
Legend
Bold move if McGahee is feeling anything in his knee. Not that Rainey was any good outside a few catches out of the backfield.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I like the Gurley move. Even if he doesn't do well, we can at least see what he has. I hope this dips into Little's playing time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Obi needs/deserves more running time, Rainey was basically a non-factor taking Obi's reps.

Gurley gets the nod because he doesn't have a torn ACL.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
McGahee was listed as probable and should be full go. Not that we are going to run the ball anyway.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A stiff breeze could knock Rainey down.

Legend
Legend
Gurley is pretty much unknown, but thought he was catching well in pre-season. I want him to see the field.
Take him over Little on a crapshoot. How bad could it hurt us. Can Gurley block?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Hmm, Gurley vs. Little:

Size: Wash
Drops: Gurley
Difficult Catches: Little
Speed: Wash
Jumping: Little
Blocking: Little
Run after catch: Little
Getting Open: Wash

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

A stiff breeze could knock Rainey down.

My impression as well. Just didn't look like he belonged.

Chasing the ghost of Dion Lewis.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Hmm, Gurley vs. Little:

Size: Wash
Drops: Gurley
Difficult Catches: Little
Speed: Wash
Jumping: Little
Blocking: Little
Run after catch: Little
Getting Open: Wash

Considering Gurley has 1 NFL reception and his time on the field is nearly non-existent, I'm not sure it's fair to compare these two in any stat outside of size and speed.

I mean "getting open" and "drops" ? How can we adequately measure that? He's barely played in a regular season game.

Personally, I think there is a lot to be intrigued about w/ Gurley and I like WRs that are big and quick. I just think it's a little premature to put them up against each other at this point. But that's just me.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
he's not that quick.

O
Legend
Legend
O
jc

I think Gurley could very well become the number 2. We'll see but I think he has potential.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

he's not that quick.

How about relative to his size?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Scouting report from NFL combine (name redacted... tell me who this is):

OVERVIEW
X is a wide receiver in a tight end's body that could develop into a quality reserve at the next level. He is not exactly fast, but he is a long strider that can stretch the field down the seam. He uses his great length to make catches even when he is covered, but he does not have reliable hands. He also is a bit stiff in the hips and lacks the fluidity to get open in man coverage. X is tough kid that seeks out contact as a blocker and works the middle of the field which makes him an attractive later round prospect.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS X is a monster wide receiver. Long strider with deceptive deep speed. Fluid route runner that finds holes in zone coverage. Uses frame to shield defenders from the ball and consistently wins jump balls. Fearless on crossing routes and strong runner after the catch. Willing and very capable blocker.

WEAKNESSES Lacks explosion off the line and out of his breaks. Does not always beat the press off the line despite his size. Runs a bit high and struggles to maintain speed in transition. Lets the ball get inside his frame and drops too many catchable passes. Will not make people miss in the open field after the catch.

Now for the other one:

OVERVIEW
He is a huge receiver with great ball skills that has a knack for making the difficult catch in traffic. He is a long strider that has deceptive speed and fights through tacklers to consistently gain yards after contact. However, he is not fast enough to be a big play threat. Y may end up being a steal in the middle rounds.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Y has great size and length. Possesses big strong hands and shows terrific body control to make the acrobatic catch. Smart player that sets up defensive backs with fakes and has the burst to quickly gain separation. Strong runner after the catch with a powerful stiff arm. Fearless over the middle and a willing blocker.

WEAKNESSES Does not possess the deep speed to stretch the field. High cut player that struggles at times to sink his hips and will lose speed in transition. Not the shiftiest runner in the open field and will not consistently get yards after the catch.

Both profiles from NFL.com

Legend
Legend
Bess, Gurley, Little.... it seems that we're struggling to find the guy that will consistently work and get open across the middle. Looking for our 2013 version of Jurevicius, if you will.

Cameron is our K2.
Gordon is our BE (and then some)

We're missing the one guy that makes them pay when a defense takes away the other two. We're missing Mr. Consistency on 3rd down and the QB's BFF.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
That's Bess. We're missing the guy who can get him the ball.

Legend
Legend
If Bess has been benched in favor of Little, and Gurley is pretty much a Little clone getting his shot finally... I'd say that it's None of the Above until one actually steps up and does it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Gurley is in my opinion a less-talented version of Little. The profiles I found on NFL.com echo that sentiment.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Just my impression from seeing him in preseason. Definitely not quick.

I genuinely thought he was a quarterback when I first saw him catch.

If he can be a good possession guy or get open so be it. After Gordon we are pretty limited at WR as it is.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Gurley is in my opinion a less-talented version of Little. The profiles I found on NFL.com echo that sentiment.

I agree with you on that point. Now we will see what happens in games. Every once in a while you have a gamer. I don't really like to admit that because I always told my baseball players you played like you practiced...show it on the practice field, you will show it in the games, but every once in a while you have that guy who always manages to show up for games.

So now Gurly gets a chance. I am willing to see if he can get open and take advantage of 2-3-4-5 targets a game.

Maybe we brought him up because we felt we had to, maybe because he practiced well the last 15 weeks and deserves a real game look.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Sorry to see Aubrey go on the list ( The kid has some skills) Other than that YAWN none of these moves will make much of a difference.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is big and strong and thats what Norv wants. I liked how he used his body to fend off defenders and also the way he attacked the ball. Kinda reminded me more of k2 to be honest, without the route running.

Rainy was just worn out by the time we got him i think. It was scary how much of Trent Richardson I saw in him, in the negative aspects that is.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

OVERVIEW
X is a wide receiver in a tight end's body that could develop into a quality reserve at the next level. He is not exactly fast, but he is a long strider that can stretch the field down the seam. He uses his great length to make catches even when he is covered, but he does not have reliable hands. He also is a bit stiff in the hips and lacks the fluidity to get open in man coverage. X is tough kid that seeks out contact as a blocker and works the middle of the field which makes him an attractive later round prospect.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS X is a monster wide receiver. Long strider with deceptive deep speed. Fluid route runner that finds holes in zone coverage. Uses frame to shield defenders from the ball and consistently wins jump balls. Fearless on crossing routes and strong runner after the catch. Willing and very capable blocker.

WEAKNESSES Lacks explosion off the line and out of his breaks. Does not always beat the press off the line despite his size. Runs a bit high and struggles to maintain speed in transition. Lets the ball get inside his frame and drops too many catchable passes. Will not make people miss in the open field after the catch.

Now for the other one:

OVERVIEW
He is a huge receiver with great ball skills that has a knack for making the difficult catch in traffic. He is a long strider that has deceptive speed and fights through tacklers to consistently gain yards after contact. However, he is not fast enough to be a big play threat. Y may end up being a steal in the middle rounds.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Y has great size and length. Possesses big strong hands and shows terrific body control to make the acrobatic catch. Smart player that sets up defensive backs with fakes and has the burst to quickly gain separation. Strong runner after the catch with a powerful stiff arm. Fearless over the middle and a willing blocker.

WEAKNESSES Does not possess the deep speed to stretch the field. High cut player that struggles at times to sink his hips and will lose speed in transition. Not the shiftiest runner in the open field and will not consistently get yards after the catch.

1. Gurley
2. Little

Tackles are tackles.
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
jc

What we could be seeing is the FO/coaching staff trying to find out who can offer some consistency on offense. Gurley does not have to be a stud, all he needs to do is become a WR that can be productive and consistent. This offense needs to find one WR that can be counted on to get open, catch the ball on 3rd downs.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

OVERVIEW

ANALYSIS

Now for the other one:

OVERVIEW

ANALYSIS

I think this tells me more about how the NFL sucks at talking about the NFL.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I live in SC now. Got to watch a lot of Gurley in college. I thought he should have stayed in school and that leaving early hurt him. However, I thought he had some decent skills. Big, strong, good hands that can secure the ball in traffic. Good leaping ability. Fast enough. Poor route runner. I never thought he would be getting cut as much as he has.

I watched Rainy in college and was impressed. I thought he displayed good moves, had good hands, and ran w/unexpected power. I was excited when we got him. Not sure he really received a legit chance here, but it is what it is.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I watched Rainy in college and was impressed... I was excited when we got him.

I've really reconsidered the way I view RB's in how well they might do in the NFL after the TRich thing. You and others weren't sold on him coming out and gave reason that he had enormous holes in Alabama to run through. That doesn't happen much in the NFL. It's a much tighter game and it exposed his vision and ability to hit the smaller, quicker holes at this level. Even further, it exposed his ability to follow his coaching and the called play as he all too often ignored his assignment by changing his running lane to a bad result.

I wasn't too happy taking him that high, especially with the additional picks we gave to move up, but was really excited to get him. I thought our RB issues were gone and we'd have a premier running game for the next 5 years. I also thought it would help whomever was our QB to a very great extent. Now I don't think he'll ever be that guy and getting a low 1st round pick for him looks like a steal.

As a result I'm shy of all college players now. Of course we're gonna pick 'em. We have to draft players. But I'm skeptical of their ability to translate into the pro game. I know too that TRich wasn't the first "next great player" to underperform but everybody, talking-heads/scouting reports had him as the next great RB.

Trouble is, they instantly become a boy among men and it seems it's a real crap shoot in predicting their future. Just like stats don't tell the whole story because of all the variables, there are so many variables in evaluating college players and their transition to the pro game that I don't really see how anyone can do it with any consistency.

Here's to Gurley getting a chance and doing well. There's obviously things about him that teams like but when they get a closer look he's gotten moved a lot. Is it talent? Or maybe he has a rough time getting in the groove of the advanced playbook and given more time he may excel. I don't know but I'm cheering for him as I do all our players. Yes, even Weeden.

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Posey, a 5-10, 190-pound defensive back, is a first-year NFL player out of Ohio University. He was signed to the Browns’ practice squad on Sept. 2, after spending training camp with the Dolphins. In 2012, Posey appeared in two games with Miami and spent 11 weeks on the Dolphins’ practice squad. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent, Posey spent 15 weeks on the New York Jets’ practice squad in 2011.

Posey is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, where he graduated from La Salle High School. His younger brother, DeVier, is a wide receiver for the Houston Texans.

Awesome! We must have the only first-year NFL player with two years of NFL experience! Regardless, happy to see a Bobcat alumnus! (Even happier if he contributes well)

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

he's not that quick.

Specs for each of the guys, Little first / Gurley next

Physical
Height (in), Weight (lbs): 6-3, 220 / 6-4, 216
Arm length, hand size (in): 33.25, 9.13 / 35, 9.75

Performance
225-lb bench press (reps): 27 / 15
40-yard dash time (sec): 4.51 / 4.56
Vertical jump (in): 40.5 / 33.5
Broad jump (in): 129.0 / 118.0
3-Cone drill (sec): 6.80 / 7.05
20-yd shuttle (sec): 4.21 / 4.25
60-yd shuttle (sec): 11.60 / 11.28

Legend
Legend
Man, Little has some strength and athleticism. Obviously I knew that, but those are impressive.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Man, Little has some strength and athleticism. Obviously I knew that, but those are impressive.

Measurables.....tangibles........yes, they're impressive.

What about doing the job? Has he been impressive? I don't have the answer to that. You need to make up your own mind.

I will say, the measurables are just that. Measurable.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Measurables.....tangibles........yes, they're impressive.

What about doing the job? Has he been impressive? I don't have the answer to that. You need to make up your own mind.

I will say, the measurables are just that. Measurable.

Well, I never said he's a good player or has lived up to expectations ... in fact, I think he's a below average player. He won't be with us after this year. JMHO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I would definitely try Little at TE. He is definitely most comfortable being able to see a pass coming the whole way in. He is uncOmfortable with a pass coming in over the top. I think that he could tear up the middle with TE type routes, and he can definitely get yardage after contact. He is also a superior blocker in space. I would love to see what he could do at TE if we decide that he is not an answer at WR. Have him take the off-season and add 20# ..... and plug him in and see how he does. I would rather try that than just dump him. (if it comes to that) He's a hard worker, so I bet he would work his butt off to make it work.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
jc

I think Little just needs more time. When he shows flashes he really does flash.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see what Little could do at RB since that is what he played in High School and was also his original position at North Carolina.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm pretty sure Rainey pulled his groin so would not be functional for a couple of games.

Gurley coming up might have a direct connection with Johnson a new big WR we took from the practice squad of the Packers ends up with a damaged knee n out.

Posey...we we lost Aubrey to injury (IR) and we had numerous DBs on our practices Squad we just took the one who was most ready to play in the next level. Aubrey mostly effective on special teams and in Nickel n Dime packages. If a starting Safety got injured they would have concentrated on Safety but a ST guy with Nickel n Dime packages - as long as he is a DB that is all that mattered.

Just assuming that is the reasoning behind these moves.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Another thing that I saw from Little last year, and am not seeing in him this year - is his outstanding effort in the block game. Last year he was tossing crippling blocks and locking onto people and making plays doing this, maybe I am blind; but, not seeing it this year.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns promote WR Gurley, CB Posey, put S Aubrey on IR, waive RB Rainey

Link Copied to Clipboard