Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Please, someone, anyone, tell me this story is wrong...

web page

Steve Young Will Make $1 Million in 2014 from USFL Deal Signed in 1984
By
Tim Keeney
(Featured Columnist) on October 25, 2013

393k reads

174 Icon_comment
Share Tweet
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
Hi-res-83137880-former-san-francisco-49ers-quarterback-steve-young_crop_north
(Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)

Before Steve Young became a member of the San Francisco 49ers, before he won three Super Bowls and before he established himself as one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all-time with a Hall of Fame career, he played in the USFL.

You're probably either thinking A) What is the USFL? or B) How in the world did the USFL entice Young, who was one of the most coveted players in America coming out of BYU, to join its side instead of the NFL?

The answer to that first question: It was the United States Football League—a professional football league that looked to challenge the NFL's dominance in the 1980s.

The answer to the second: They offered him something the NFL couldn't—a $36 million deal spread out over a ludicrous 43 years, per Sports Illustrated.

Yes, you read that correctly: 43 years, meaning Young, who took his last USFL snap in 1985 and last NFL snap in 1999, won't stop getting paid as a professional quarterback until the year 2027 when he is 65 years old.

/Getty Images

The USFL collapsed in 1986, but according to Celebrity Net Worth's Brian Warner, Young made sure the contract was insured back when he made the deal with billionaire J. William Oldenburg of the Los Angeles Express.

That meant that even though the league went bankrupt, Young was covered.

Moreover, the contract was backloaded. Therefore Young, who currently works as an NFL analyst, is about to get a significant raise.

Per Warner, the 52-year-old will make a hefty $1 million in 2014, and the contract will only continue to escalate until he makes over $3 million annually in the contract's final years.

Not bad for a second—or I guess it's still technically his first—income.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Nope. He signed a severely back-loaded deal, and made sure it was insured.

Pretty brilliant on his part if you ask me.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

and he's not having to do Skeekers commercials to make ends meet.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
If you can sit around and do nothing, and make $1 million or more per year ...... that's petty damn good. I wish I could do that. I have the sitting around doing nothing part down .....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Simply brilliant.

I have a new found respect for Young.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Awesome job Steve. I must applaud you for that. Enjoy your contract, and use it wisely

Legend
Legend
Extremely smart, savvy financial move. I give him credit for having the foresight as a young guy 25 years ago ... he deserves it.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't know if it was his idea or that of an agent/lawyer or maybe even both, but itwas indeed brilliant..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
The first think any person should do when if hit with a windfall is to fund a annuity....basically buy a pension.

Steve isn't sitting there with a empty coconut between his shoulders.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The first think any person should do when if hit with a windfall is to fund a annuity....basically buy a pension.

Steve isn't sitting there with a empty coconut between his shoulders.

I'm sure he's no dummy, but remember something, he was an early 20 something kid at the time,, was he sophisticated or financially aware enough to realize that at that age? I dunno. That's why I don't know who did what, but it was brilliant..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The USFL disbanding really helped out the Browns.

Kevin Mack, Mike Johnson, Gerald McNeil were all part of that supplemental draft.

O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Young has always been known as a brilliant guy dating back to his BYU days. He wasn't a dumb jock who got a free ride because he could chuck the leather. He ended up with a Law degree so the brains were always there.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Please, someone, anyone, tell me this story is wrong...

It is wrong. Young did not take the annuity, he took the money that was going to setup the annuity (900k - 1 mil).

From the Horse's mouth: (Starts at 4:40)

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Young has always been known as a brilliant guy dating back to his BYU days. He wasn't a dumb jock who got a free ride because he could chuck the leather. He ended up with a Law degree so the brains were always there.

Thought he got a free ride because his grandfather started the college

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Like i said, I'm sure he's very bright.. but he was young.. so who knows whos Idea it was.. anyway, it doesn't matter, it was brilliant.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Smart....I wouldn't say brilliant. Brilliant makes it sound like a groundbreaking move.....insurance companies have been selling annuities for a long time.

Fix the future when you are young if you can, then ride the rumboat all the way home.

At any rate, I am not arguing your point on the basis...more people should do this if able . Especially if young and a large portion will head to the rumboat. That boat is a expensive ride.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sounds like you may have purchased one of those tickets on the rum boat?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Smart....I wouldn't say brilliant. Brilliant makes it sound like a groundbreaking move.....insurance companies have been selling annuities for a long time.

Fix the future when you are young if you can, then ride the rumboat all the way home.

At any rate, I am not arguing your point on the basis...more people should do this if able . Especially if young and a large portion will head to the rumboat. That boat is a expensive ride.

Geez, Whatever.. For crying out loud..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Geez, Whatever.. For crying out loud..

Ahhhh...sorry, didn't mean to nitpick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Steve Young still getting paid from USFL contract signed in '84

Link Copied to Clipboard