Print Thread
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns signed free-agent wide receiver Armanti Edwards in addition to signing rookie offensive lineman Reid Fragel off the practice squad of the Cincinnati Bengals, the team announced today.

Wide receiver and punt returner Travis Benjamin was placed on season-ending injured reserve with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee suffered Sunday in a 23-17 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. The Browns also no longer need to count wide receiver Charles Johnson, who was signed off the Green Bay Packers’ practice squad two weeks ago before the Browns discovered during his introductory physical that he had a torn ACL, toward their 53-man roster. So Edwards and Fragel have filled the roster spots vacated by Benjamin and Johnson.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Edwards is in his fourth NFL season out of Appalachian State, where he played quarterback when the Mountaineers stunned Michigan in 2007. Drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the third round (89th overall) in 2010, he appeared in 39 regular-season games, tallying five receptions for 121 yards, two carries for 12 yards, 36 punt returns for 253 yards and 15 kickoff returns for 295 yards. He appeared in four games this season and was waived by the Panthers on Oct. 8. Browns coach Rob Chudzinski was the Panthers’ offensive coordinator the past two seasons.

The Bengals drafted the 6-foot-8, 305-pound Fragel in the seventh round (240th overall) this year. Fragel, who played tight end at Ohio State before converting to tackle as a senior, spent the first eight weeks this season on the Bengals’ practice squad.

The Browns also re-signed wide receiver Tori Gurley to their practice squad.

Link

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Interesting that we signed an extra offensive linemen when Pinkston is supposed to be coming off the IR any time now.

Edwards will probably return punts.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Interesting that we signed an extra offensive linemen when Pinkston is supposed to be coming off the IR any time now.

good point...

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Bengals just destroyed the Jets, who we still have to play, and we still have the Bengals one more time.... it could be as simple as getting a kid that might have some promise AND the added benefit of being able to pick his brain a bit.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Fragel's a good addition, he's a developmental guy, but has a pretty high ceiling for a PS player. That said, he could also be just a playbook-steal and be gone as soon as Pinkston comes back.

A.Edwards is a softer but more athletic version of Cribbs, not exciting, but Chud knows him and a more gameday ready player was needed.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Reid Fragel was another draft crush of mine.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They prob want to see if Fragel can work in at RT next year which will allow Schwartz to move inside to RG which is more natural for him

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

They prob want to see if Fragel can work in at RT next year which will allow Schwartz to move inside to RG which is more natural for him

How is it more natural when Schwartz has always played tackle? And played it very well for stretches.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not the first to say it.

Here is a piece from his draft bio:

WEAKNESSES Schwartz's average athletic ability is the greatest knock on him. He is a bit stiff in his movements and out of his stance, and can struggle when working to the second level. He may need to move inside because of the liability he could be outside at tackle.

I've also read some stuff on sites that are not allowed on here about a move to RG is in his future.

Also, doesn’t have great feet or length. He struggles vs long, athletic edge rushers like we saw in the first couple games. More upside inside. I know Lombardi and Banner see it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm actually of the opinion he wouldn't do well at guard, but that's just me. I think he'd struggle with pulling and is not a good drive blocker.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

How is it more natural when Schwartz has always played tackle? And played it very well for stretches.

I don't get it either. I don't think that Schwartz will be our RT next year ...... however I don't believe that he will move to RT. RT is generally your best run blocker .... and Schwartz has shown little ability in that regard. Personally I don't believe that Schwartz will be here next year, and I certainly don't believe that he will be moved to Guard.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I like the Edwards move.

Stop gap punt returner who can maybe turn in a gadget play or two down the line.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Yea, I was hoping we would draft him also. Was very athletic, just needs time to develop is what I thought at the time. Hope it works out

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You know on a side note….I've been wondering about this player

Chris Faulk

I know he went on the IR for us way back in training camp and we signed him to rehab the whole year. But I haven't heard anymore on him. Anyone have heard anything about his rehab or etc?

Legend
Legend
We usually don't hear a whole lot about players on the IR, especially lesser known rookies.

I think that the plan all along was to "redshirt" him for the year, because they pretty much knew that he wouldn't be ready to go. He is supposed to be quite a talent, and a real steal if he can return to health.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, I hear ya Ytown and expected that. Just was wondering if anyone heard how his rehab is going/went. Hopefully he will surprise us next year

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Chris Faulk

I know he went on the IR for us way back in training camp and we signed him to rehab the whole year. But I haven't heard anymore on him. Anyone have heard anything about his rehab or etc?

Last I heard he was doing good in rehab and looking forward to getting a chance to play next season.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Agreed. Feet aren't that good. Better be more aggressive. This might be his replacement.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Chris Faulk

He was somebody who really caught my eye too. I think he was supposed to be a higher guard prospect before he got hurt. Man, how awesome would that be if he came back healthy and studded out?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yea, I was hoping we would draft him also. Was very athletic, just needs time to develop is what I thought at the time. Hope it works out

We've signed my two biggest draft crushes in Poyer and Fragel.

I'm happy!

Legend
Legend
Gurley is back also,,

I know so little about these guys.. wish them well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
What is the knock on him? I liked what little I have seen. He keeps getting released and returns. Boomerang Boy, Bad Penny . . . . Must have something bad and must have something good. Just wondering what is up with Gurley.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Slow, and has trouble getting off the line in one on one coverage.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Wonder if we'll see Edwards field a few punts or kickoffs against Baltimore? I am hesitant leaving the job to Bess.

Legend
Legend
I think that Whittaker will be the main KR this weekend. I have a feeling that Bess will return Punts ..... but I hope I'm wrong.

H
1st String
1st String
H
I'm officially scared anytime bess is returning punts. Stick a fork in him. He's done. It's in his head EVERY time he is back. You know how nervous WE are with him now. Imagine how he feels lol.

He has the shanks

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think that Whittaker will be the main KR this weekend. I have a feeling that Bess will return Punts ..... but I hope I'm wrong.

That's what chud said was going to happen in his presser Monday.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well see, if I had been paying attention I would have known that instead of guessing.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

And I think it's the right thing to do.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

Honesty, I'd like to see less Willis, and more Fozzy and Obi running the ball... They've had some holes to run, but they've also have made some good plays on their own. One example, and yes it was virtually a perfectly thrown ball, but the Campbell and Fozzy hook up for the TD was great to see. He showed he can catch and we can't say that to some of our own WRs. Oby has a 5+ yard rushing average on limited carries. 19 carries I believe.

Anyway, back to the thread. Whittaker can likely be a lethal threat at returner. IMO, I think Bess is scared to take a hit. I believe it effects his concentration. Not the best thing to have when being a returner!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we see Edwards on punt returns. It's not like changing teams changes that a whole lot. Why sign him? I don't think we signed him for his receiving skills or to be a emergency QB.

Now, if we are going to give him a look at safety, I am all for it. Just like I said about Josh, I think he could be super in that position.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign WR Armanti Edwards, OL Reid Fragel to active roster

Link Copied to Clipboard