Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Possible breakthrough for injury recovery...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131105081352.htm

New Ligament Discovered‬ In the Human Knee

Nov. 5, 2013 — Two knee surgeons at University Hospitals Leuven have discovered a previously unknown ligament in the human knee. This ligament appears to play an important role in patients with anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears.

‪Despite a successful ACL repair surgery and rehabilitation, some patients with ACL-repaired knees continue to experience so-called 'pivot shift', or episodes where the knee 'gives way' during activity. For the last four years, orthopedic surgeons Dr Steven Claes and Professor Dr Johan Bellemans have been conducting research into serious ACL injuries in an effort to find out why.

Their starting point: an 1879 article by a French surgeon that postulated the existence of an additional ligament located on the anterior of the human knee.

That postulation turned out to be correct: the Belgian doctors are the first to identify the previously unknown ligament after a broad cadaver study using macroscopic dissection techniques. Their research shows that the ligament, which was given the name anterolateral ligament (ALL), is present in 97 per cent of all human knees. Subsequent research shows that pivot shift, the giving way of the knee in patients with an ACL tear, is caused by an injury in the ALL ligament.

Some of the conclusions were recently published in the Journal of Anatomy. The Anatomical Society praised the research as "very refreshing" and commended the researchers for reminding the medical world that, despite the emergence of advanced technology, our knowledge of the basic anatomy of the human body is not yet exhaustive.

‪The research questions current medical thinking about serious ACL injuries and could signal a breakthrough in the treatment of patients with serious ACL injuries. Dr Claes and Professor Bellemans are currently working on a surgical technique to correct ALL injuries. Those results will be ready in several years.
‪ACL tears are common among athletes in pivot-heavy sports such as soccer, basketball, skiing and football.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting…thanks for sharing. Wonder how they missed it all this time? Looks like a rather large attachment to the lateral epicondyle.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, I had to look at it a couple times to make sure it wasn't a fake.

It also makes me wonder if there's not also an additional medial ligament they're missing.

Also found it odd that they said it's present in 97% of human knees. Why not 100%?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't doubt it. I'm guessing they miss it since it's more lateral than the ACL…still looking for info.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I am at a loss for words..crazy story for this to happen so late into modernity.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Also found it odd that they said it's present in 97% of human knees. Why not 100%?

The 3% that don't have it are probably the freakish athletes because it stabilizes the knee and makes you slower and less agile... I probably have 2 of them.

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I hope that's not the case, otherwise you might see people have operations to remove them... similar to the Tommy John surgery that every pitcher seems to ge tnow.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
fifth? I thought there was only three...you know. Left knee, right knee, wee...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Pretty sure Ladarius Webb only has three left after that move Bess put on him Sunday.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There are a bunch of parts that people may, or may not, have.

Take the brain as an example.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

There are a bunch of parts that people may, or may not, have.

Take the brain as an example.

Okay, you got me. I lol'd.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pretty sure Ladarius Webb only has three left after that move Bess put on him Sunday.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Extremely exciting. I wonder how common it will be to see this injury in sports.

Legend
Legend
Man, with as many times as human knees have been taken apart, (both living people and cadavers) and repaired, not to mention installation of artificial knee joints, how could this have been missed? It almost seems impossible, given the number of times doctors have opened up, and even dismantled the knee.

Weird.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Man, with as many times as human knees have been taken apart, (both living people and cadavers) and repaired, not to mention installation of artificial knee joints, how could this have been missed? It almost seems impossible, given the number of times doctors have opened up, and even dismantled the knee.

Weird.

They might have just assumed it was a part of another ligament the whole time?

Legend
Legend
Well ... maybe ...... but it just seems odd that so many knees would have been done over so many years ...... and only now we find a new ligament.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Just like pluto not being a planet.

The problem I have with Disney is it is not real life. It's not real llife for everything you look at to be bran(d) new.
I'm watching the Disney channel and even the extra in the background has on a brand new dress. The dog has just come back from the groomers, the cake is new the silverware is brand new, all the stars clothes are brand new bright colored never been worn twice new clothes. All the scenery is made of brand new fabric freshly painted walls and such, it's all too new.
I see a scene where a girl gets puke on her and all I can think is, it is brand new puke on a brand new dress, on a girl who probably just washed up and has perfect hair and brand new stupid jewelry on , like wrist bands and such. and theres a brand new hot dog on a table with a brand new table cloth and brand new ketchup and mustard shakers . Look theres a cafeteria with brand new counters and brand new refridgerator doors and brand new serving trays and brand new chefs bibs.
Even the old man has brand new shoes on and the military uniform guy is in a brand new never been used military uniform.
A brand new hum vee in the background.
It is enough to make me puke. Even Gordon Ramsey wouldn't demand that much cleanliness.
I wouldn't mind if everything had to be clean, but life doesn't allow for so much of everything to be brand spanking new.
That is the problem I have with anything Disney or watching that channel.
And it relates to a 5th ligament in the human knee, because (You mean it ISN"T a JOKE that there is a new ligament?)
That is like saying we all have a ball on the end our noses, it is just invisible and odorless and yhou can't hear it, but you can grab it if you grab softly enough. Like Cotton, if you pull hard it won't come apart but if you pull softly it will separate. Bull riders usually lose this ball because they get thrown around too violently.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

The problem I have with Disney is it is not real life. It's not real llife for everything you look at to be bran(d) new.
I'm watching the Disney channel and even the extra in the background has on a brand new dress. The dog has just come back from the groomers, the cake is new the silverware is brand new, all the stars clothes are brand new bright colored never been worn twice new clothes. All the scenery is made of brand new fabric freshly painted walls and such, it's all too new.
I see a scene where a girl gets puke on her and all I can think is, it is brand new puke on a brand new dress, on a girl who probably just washed up and has perfect hair and brand new stupid jewelry on , like wrist bands and such. and theres a brand new hot dog on a table with a brand new table cloth and brand new ketchup and mustard shakers . Look theres a cafeteria with brand new counters and brand new refridgerator doors and brand new serving trays and brand new chefs bibs.
Even the old man has brand new shoes on and the military uniform guy is in a brand new never been used military uniform.
It is enough to make me puke. Even Gordon Ramsey wouldn't demand that much cleanliness.
I wouldn't mind if everything had to be clean, but life doesn't allow for so much of everything to be brand spanking new.
And it relates to a 5th ligament in the human knee, because (You mean it ISN"T a JOKE that there is a new ligament?)
That is like saying we all have a ball on the end our noses, it is just invisible and odorless and yhou can't hear it, but you can grab it if you grab softly enough. Like Cotton, if you pull hard it won't come apart but if you pull softly it will separate. Bull riders usually lose this ball because they get thrown around too violently.

What?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

What?

How dare you?

A
Legend
Legend
A
I don't know. Just seemed like the right thing to ask.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, I had to look at it a couple times to make sure it wasn't a fake.

It also makes me wonder if there's not also an additional medial ligament they're missing.

Easy, 3% don't kneed it.

#GMSTRONG
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

This made me want to start a slow clap.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Quote:

What?

How dare you?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed. Truly amazing. Not sure why, but I read it over and over and over and over.

Each time I read it I thought of back in the 1960's/70's and the Purple Haze/Flower Power/Volkswagon Bus/Woodstock era. Then I thought about "Flashbacks" and wondered aloud, "Do people actually have them"?

Unbelievable stuff ThrowL, unbelievable.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

N
Legend
Legend
N
it took the Browns ending their losing streak to the Ravens, but we have a true TL post back on the board. well done.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

x2

Now we just need TL to repeat this in the Obamacare thread.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I think TL must be one of the mentally unstable posters DawgMichelle referred to.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you've replaced Bard as my faivorite poster.

I know you put your heart into this!

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Quote:

The 3% that don't have it are probably the freakish athletes because it stabilizes the knee and makes you slower and less agile... I probably have 2 of them.

"I KNEW it!!!"

T
Legend
Legend
T
Is that Sam Ritigliano? It's not Joe Paterno I'm pretty confident of that.

Legend
Legend
Think, gambling problem.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Think Large thighs

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
The answer is in the image properties/url. Although, I did worry the joke might be a little dated...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

...and no ankles, shoes or socks, for that matter....

On.
The.
Floor.
Laughing.
My Arse.
Off.

GREAT POST!!!

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

New Ligament Discovered‬ In the Human Knee

Courtney Brown just tore his

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I just discovered a ligament in my knee. I took my mom to the store the other day, and she asked me if I could get her laundry out of her dryer. I was very careful not to bend my back too much, and I knelt down, felt my knee pop, and went into such pain that I fell over on the floor, on my back, of course. Normally my knee pops like that, and it goes back in rather quickly. This time it didn't.

*Sigh*

P
Legend
Legend
P
The horror of doing laundry in the NFL.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I warned you that's hell turning 100 buddy but did you listen to me noooooooo

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
If I can imagine what 200 feels like ..... then that's the way I feel lately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Fifth Ligament in Human Knee Discovered

Link Copied to Clipboard