Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Rambo Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/11/why_cleveland_browns_cornerbac.html

Why Cleveland Browns' cornerback Joe Haden is on the path toward his first Pro Bowl appearance

By: Tom Reed, Northwest Ohio Media Group

BEREA, Ohio – There were times Joe Haden’s father had to walk out of the living room last fall because of the tears welling in his son’s eyes.

The family was used to seeing him each Sunday in their Maryland residence but on the television screen, not in person. A four-game ban for alleged Adderall use, however, reduced the Browns’ best cornerback to a spectator as his team floundered during a 0-5 start in 2012.

“You could see the hurt and disappointment on his face as we watched the games together,” Joe Haden II said of the child he calls J.W. “That was a really low point for him . . . He was home that entire time . . . He’s always been in the church, but he did a lot of praying and a lot of soul searching.”

Haden’s father believes that dark period had a significant impact on a 2013 season that likely will end with his son’s first Pro Bowl appearance. A flashy defender once known as much for his six luxury rides as his 12 career interceptions, is maturing on and off the field.

He is earning praise from opposing coaches, striking fear in quarterbacks and making life tough on fantasy owners who must decided whether to idle their top receivers when going opposite No. 23. He’s allowed only one touchdown in coverage, while shutting down the likes of Calvin Johnson and A.J. Green (twice).

These days, Haden is covering the stars better than Michael Buble.

“I don’t think any corner is playing better, at least I don’t believe any corner is playing better that we have faced,” Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s good on the line, he’s good off the ball, he’s got great peripheral vision. He can feel receivers and look at the quarterback . . . He’s just a very talented player whose experience is catching up with this talent.”

Such words make Joe Haden II swell with pride because he’s watched his son take small, yet necessary steps to enter the conversation regarding the league’s top corners, one that starts with Richard Sherman and Darrelle Revis.

The father has seen Haden make lifestyle changes such as getting married, moving from a downtown condo to a suburban home, being more cautious with his circle of friends, getting more rest and improving his nutrition. His study habits also are ascending. When he comes to visit, his son’s face is often buried in an iPad watching film, Joe Haden II said.

“He’d always done it, but he’s doing it with a lot more passion,” the father said.

“God blessed him with so much talent, oodles and oodles of talent, but everyone in the league has talent. I’ve always told him the difference between being good and great is a little bit. There’s not a big difference but the difference is focus, it’s going to bed at a decent hour and not going out as much.”

On Wednesday, fresh from what he termed his best game in holding Green to a career-low seven yards and registering two interceptions, Haden addressed the metamorphosis.

“I think it's mostly, honestly, the way I'm living,” said Haden, wed to longtime girlfriend, Sarah, in June. “Just me and my wife, I have a really good relationship with her. We're doing super well just relaxing all the time. I've been studying the Bible a whole lot more and I'm just really comfortable with myself and how my life is going and honestly that's what really got me here . . .

“It's just football now, all football.”

His father said the only low point that rivaled the suspension was his poor 40-yard dash times at 2010 NFL Combine. Haden acknowledged Wednesday the four weeks at home last fall marked a turning point.

“The main thing, honestly, when I got suspended that really slowed me down and made me settle down . . . the whole suspension thing got me to where I am now,” Haden said.

Browns safety T.J. Ward said he doesn’t see his best friend on the team away from the Berea facility as much these days. Ward believes team captains D’Qwell Jackson and Joe Thomas have helped teach them what it means to be a good pro.

“We have become older and there are some things you have to get away from,” Ward said. “That’s what (Haden) has done. I think the marriage has helped him, but I think he would have done it without the marriage.”

Haden would not get drawn into comparisons between himself and other top corners. He also curbed Pro Bowl talk as the Browns try to reverse a slump that’s seen them lose four of their last five games

But the road map to meeting individual goals hangs in plain view of every visitor to his locker in the form of laminated picture of the Hawaiian Islands. He has three interceptions and conceded he’s allowed another four balls to slip through his hands.

“He’s playing very well,” Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. “I hate to compare people, but he’s very good. He’s been that way, in my opinion, since he came here as a rookie. He’s got great speed, length, he’s not afraid . . . He has all the qualities of great cornerbacks.”

Haden credits defensive coordinator Ray Horton for part of his evolution. The assistant coach doesn’t swaddle him in compliments on the practice fields. Horton has prodded him to elevate his game, sometimes with little jabs.

The two men have a running joke concerning Arizona cornerback Patrick Peterson, the hard-working Pro Bowler who Horton coached the past two seasons.

Haden knows how much Sunday’s game against Pittsburgh means to Horton, a disciple of Steelers legendary coordinator Dick LeBeau. After neutralizing bigger wideouts, Haden must deal with Antonio Bryant, a speedy, precise route runner who leads the league in receptions, and quarterback Ben Roethisberger, a master of extending plays.

“(Roethisberger) makes it a whole lot harder because you think you got the first route covered and then it is just a completely different scramble,” Haden said. “When they are scrambling that is not a route. You just got to run around, follow and chase people around so he makes it difficult."

The Browns likely will offer Haden, signed through 2014 season, a contract extension in the offseason. His father said his oldest son is happy with the Browns and likes the direction of the club.

“He wants to be the best he can be and he wants to grow with those guys and start winning,” the father said. “To see him grow and mature and develop has truly been a blessing.”

From tears to cheers, the maturation of Joe Haden continues.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagreed w/the many who said he was a top 3 or 5 corner in past years, but not this year. He has really elevated his game and is playing at a Pro Bowl level.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's nice to see haden starting to get some accolades (he was one of my favorite players coming out in 2010), but the Pro Bowl is such a joke now. Especially with the whole team captain crap. Just do away with it and have the All-Pro team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He's played great this year….happy he's settled down.

I would rather Pitt had "Antonio Bryant" then Antonio Brown at receiver

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Absolute "Stellar Year".

They had his #s against receivers this year on a show I was watching(Jim Donovan's 1hr version of The Browns Red Zone perhaps?) and his #s have been phenominal.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
I love stories like these. They keep me coming back for more.

I like the X's & O's stories, because they give me insight into how the game in played.

But I'll admit: the 'Human Interest' stories suck me in much more than the 'gameplan' posts.... it's just the way This Browns Fan is built.

We've had a chance to watch this young man place himself on the cusp of greatness.... and we've had a chance to see it from the very beginning. This is a fun adventure, Dawgs. That story goes well beyond our fandebates about who was in power when he was hired, what D scheme was being run when 23 'made his jump,' or what year's team he was on when he made the Pro Bowl.

This is a story about an adolescent's passage into Manhood... and we get to see it here....as fans of an NFL Football Team. Now, Joe is family. We care about him.

Stories like these take me out of the world of 'X's & O's'... and place me fully within my wheelhouse- PEOPLE.

And- I love that I get these stories... in this place.... with Good Folk who want to talk with me about them.

I love that Joe's ascension to The Top Ranks needed this story of personal growth. Stories like these tell me about another Human Being's life.

I live for stories like these.

PEOPLE make the world go 'round.

Joe is making the Browns what they will be. It's very cool to see that happening- in Real Time.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Year three? Moving toward a new contract here shortly.

Legend
Legend
Send him to the PB! Props to the man. He is improved and pulling all the tough covers. The job on Green was astounding to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Haden is playing lights out in Horton's scheme. He's shut out some CREDIBLE wr's, some of the BEST the NFL has to offer. There is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be sipping cocktails in Hawaii... NONE!

Very deserving, very much so earned (unless he tanks the rest of the season which I highly, highly doubt)

B
Legend
Legend
B
I have seen Joe since his Freshman year in college, and had to plea with people when we drafted him that he was a good pick, and as I said then, as good as he is at coverage, the kid is a GREAT tackler.

He doesn't go for the big hit or the strip....he just tries to bring ankles together. He might be the best form tackler in the league.

Sure, he is going to miss some, but for my money, if we need someone down, give me Mighty Mouse with the chance.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good point. He has been a very good tackler since the day he got here. He can bring the wood, too. And he never ducks his stinking head.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Good point. He has been a very good tackler since the day he got here. He can bring the wood, too. And he never ducks his stinking head.

Like I said....a form tackler. They should show Joe Haden to kids when teaching them how to tackle. He is head up every time. He is perfect unless somehow out of position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Joe Haden has faced guys like Mike Wallace, Torrey Smith, AJ Green, Stevie Johnson, and so on, and has stood tall week after week. I gave him a bit of a hard time earlier about not creating turnovers, but he is starting to do that now too. That really was the last thing keeping him from a Pro Bowl level of play. His tackling is usually very good and he breaks down well. For the most part, he has shut down the guys he has faced.

I have been very impressed with him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe has been money this year.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

It's almost as if something were sharping his focus and confidence. If only they made a pill that could do that, we could give it to all our secondary!

But really, good job Joe. So much poo is flung at our best players it is silly. If he isn't better than Revis that makes me happy. Revis is way overpriced.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Haden's cap hit be enormous when he gets his next contract. This year has been quite a statement.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Like I said....a form tackler. They should show Joe Haden to kids when teaching them how to tackle. He is head up every time. He is perfect unless somehow out of position.

Daylon McCutcheon was the same kind of tackler. McCutcheon would the runner mid-body and slide right down to the ankles.

I've never understood why so many tacklers go high or use the shoulder for the big hit. Going high just gets them drug for 5 yards. And too often that shoulder hit just chips the runner knocking him off balance.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's almost as if something were sharping his focus and confidence. If only they made a pill that could do that, we could give it to all our secondary!

That's 4 games worth of not funny!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
The media is so impressed with certain stats...INTs is one of them. No that Joe got a couple in the Bengal game is name is on the lips of everyone. I've always thought one of the most over rated CBs was Samuels...but he went for the INTS and got more than his share so he was always talked about as a super star...but he didn't cover as well as Joe and didn't play the run as well as Joe.

I really like and see the Horton value of Small guys that can hit and Big guys that can Run! We got both! Next to get some due will be Skrine...this kid has been playing amazing for the last 4 games or so...He Got IT!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't have time to verify, but I bet if you combined AJ green's two games against Joe this year, it would be worse than any other game he's played in this season

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I don't have time to verify, but I bet if you combined AJ green's two games against Joe this year, it would be worse than any other game he's played in this season

in 2 games: 9rec 58yds 0TD

only game worse: v. Pitt 6 rec 41yds 0TD
note1: v. GB 4 rec 46yds 1TD (the TD makes it better IMO)
note2: v. NE 5rec 61yds 0TD (slightly more yards)

All other games(6), AJ had more than 100yds each and scored 5TDs including the 5 games leading up to our last one (where we held him to 2rec 7yds).

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Against the Browns he has had 9 catches for 58 yards. His only two worse games were against Greenbay where he had 4 catches for 46 yards, but he had a touchdown and against the Steelers where he had 6 catches for 41 yards. Though he did have a lower yards per catch average against us (6.4 yards) than the Steelers (6.8 yards).

That's pretty damn good. I'd also say that he shut down Calvin Johnson and I'm refusing to buy into the "It was Calvin's first game back with a knee injury." because everyone knows that the best at 80% is better than most guys at 100%.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

That's pretty damn good. I'd also say that he shut down Calvin Johnson and I'm refusing to buy into the "It was Calvin's first game back with a knee injury." because everyone knows that the best at 80% is better than most guys at 100%.

It's hard to argue with you. Me personally, I don't buy into the Megatron injury either but I don't think Megatron was given his usually amount of snaps - but still...

Haden has limited the best in Bowe, AJ Green, Megatron and others. I would venture to say these elite WR's don't like having to go up against him. He's physical and high-energy too. I love when he slammed Green the second go round and was on his feet to "seemingly' talk a lil smack and wave his hand/arm!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Wasn't Megatron's snap count relatively limited that game?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Wasn't Megatron's snap count relatively limited that game?

Possibly, but he still had 8 targets. That's tied for his lowest amount of targets for the season, but in the other game he amassed more than 100 yards and 2 TD's.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Not trying to take anything away from Joe, but Megatron was not himself that game.

And he dropped an easy TD.

Legend
Legend
He wasn't himself against us, and caught 3 passes for 25 yards.

The next week, he had 9 catches for 155 yards and 2 TD. The following week he had 14 catches for 329 yards and a TD. While it's possible that he went from half dead against us to 23 catches for 484 yards (combined) over the next 2 weeks ...... I doubt it. I think that he was more ready to go against us than he let on, and when he got shut down, he took it out on the next 2 opponents.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Actually, Horton, and Chud to a lesser extent, challenged Haden before the season. Both said he had the "potential" to be a Pro Bowler. Both said he had to step-up his game. Horton, in particular, challenged Haden.

I do think some of you are getting carried away again. Megatron was not at 100%. Additionally, Haden had a couple of bad games. One was against Buffalo. It stinks that that game was on national tv.

I do think his latest performance has him back on track for the Pro Bowl. Hopefully, he makes it.

The pill? I don't know man, but it seems to me that Horton has sure made Haden, Skrine, and Gipson better. All three are playing lights out. I would have never dreamed that Skrine would be playing this well. The guy is improving weekly. Look at last week. The Bengals quit trying to pick on Haden after the firs two picks and went after Skrine. He was all over their receivers. He was a stud. Gipson has great instincts and very good range. He is around the ball. Who would have predicted that at the end of last year?

The guy who gets the most love of the four is the worst in my mind. I wonder what TJ's Wonderlic score was?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

The media is so impressed with certain stats...INTs is one of them. No that Joe got a couple in the Bengal game is name is on the lips of everyone. I've always thought one of the most over rated CBs was Samuels...but he went for the INTS and got more than his share so he was always talked about as a super star...but he didn't cover as well as Joe and didn't play the run as well as Joe.

I really like and see the Horton value of Small guys that can hit and Big guys that can Run! We got both! Next to get some due will be Skrine...this kid has been playing amazing for the last 4 games or so...He Got IT!

JMHO

I agree. Buster came from a smaller program.....my town.

It's a big step to go from UT Chattanooga to the NFL. He had to grow. But he has the skills and corner is one position you can really scout and tell if a guy has it or doesn't.

Now that Buster is gaining confidence, he can really blossom....he was a real find.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm fairly positive that "The Pill" was a joke about adderall.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I wonder what TJ's Wonderlic score was?

Really?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

The guy who gets the most love of the four is

Haden. the other guy you mentioned only gets discussed more because you bring him up in every thread. this one is about Haden, who has been playing amazing. let's keep it about him. thanks.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

The guy who gets the most love of the four is

Haden. the other guy you mentioned only gets discussed more because you bring him up in every thread. this one is about Haden, who has been playing amazing. let's keep it about him . thanks.

Browns' Josh Gordon not among top-10 Pro Bowl vote getters at WR

BEREA, Ohio – Browns receiver Josh Gordon is putting up big numbers everywhere – except at the Pro Bowl ballot box.

The record-setting wideout is not listed among the top-10 vote getters in the early Pro Bowl voting results, released Wednesday by the NFL.

Gordon has broken the franchise-record for single-game receiving yards in the past two weeks, and leads the NFL averaging 124.9 yards per game. He’s second to Detroit’s Calvin Johnson in receiving yards with 1,249.

But that’s not good enough for voters. The top-10 thus far are: Calvin Johnson (Detroit), A.J. Green (Cincinnati), Dez Bryant (Dallas), Demaryius Thomas (Denver), Wes Welker (Denver), Brandon Marshall (Chicago), DeSean Jackson (Philadelphia), Jordy Nelson (Green Bay), Andre Johnson (Houston), Eric Decker (Denver).

Gordon is coming off performances of 237 and 261 yards against Pittsburgh and Jacksonville respectively.

The Browns’ Jordan Cameron ranks fourth among tight ends, Joe Thomas is third among tackles, T.J. Ward is seventh among strong safeties and Joe Haden is ninth among cornerbacks.

The highest-ranking Brown is Chris Ogbonnaya, who’s second among fullbacks.

Fan balloting counts for one-third of the final vote. The coaches and players make up the other two thirds.

Fans can vote at NFL.com up until Dec. 26.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/team/1386210956-838-576/browns-josh-gordon-not-among.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
N
Legend
Legend
N
I thought for sure with fantasy football that Gordon and Haden would garner more votes. Anyone who plays knows to downgrade expectations for whoever Haden is covering (and anyone who has or faces Gordon knows what he has been doing this year).

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Joe Haden and Patrick Peterson tops list of NFL's best cornerbacks!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...est-cornerbacks

Quote:

So far, we have ranked the top running backs, inside linebackers, outside linebackers, tight ends, defensive tackles and wide receivers, defensive ends, kick returners, running backs, linebacker duos, wide receiver duos and safeties in the league.

This week, we turn our attention back to the league's top cornerbacks.

This is not a fantasy football cheat sheet, nor is it an attempt to predict which players will finish with the best statistics this season. The premise is which cornerback I would want for the rest of the 2013 season. Although statistics, scouting reports and other factors such as durability were considered, the criteria is based primarily on game film from first 12 weeks of the 2013 season.

Top shelf: Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, Richard Sherman, Alterraun Verner, Darrelle Revis, Brent Grimes, Aqib Talib, Tyrann Mathieu

Arguably the best athlete in the NFL, Peterson's play finally is catching up to his reputation. He's now the closest thing the NFL has to a legitimate shutdown cornerback. ... Haden takes away big, physical speed threats, but he has been beaten of late by smaller, quicker receivers. He's still All-Pro caliber. ... Quarterbacks still are afraid to throw in Sherman's direction. As long as he and Earl Thomas are back there, the Seahawks' defensive backfield will be just fine without Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond.

It's hard to beat Verner from a statistical vantage point this season. Tied for the lead in interceptions, he's also No. 1 in opponent's passer rating and completion percentage, per Pro Football Focus. ... The average completion against Revis goes for 8.9 yards; the lowest figure among all starting cornerbacks. ... Grimes leads the NFL in passes defensed and is the best player in Miami's secondary. ... Talib and Devin McCourty have succeeded in taking away what opposing passing attacks do best. At midseason, Charles Woodson chose Talib as the NFL's top cornerback.

Mathieu "starts" at free safety in base personnel, but he's played more snaps at cornerback in nickel and dime packages. He's already one of the most complete corners in the league, attacking the line of scrimmage in run support and as a blitzer, while showing a knack for big plays in coverage. The Honey Badger is a major reason for the Cardinals' success this season.

Next level: Jason McCourty, Johnathan Joseph, Vontae Davis, Lardarius Webb, Keenan Lewis, Brandon Carr, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields

McCourty and Verner have made a strong argument as the top cornerback duo in the league this season. They have allowed only one touchdown all season. That will be tested in Denver on Sunday. ... Joseph has allowed less than 50 percent of the passes in his direction to be completed. ... Davis is one of the most physical cornerbacks in the league, but he still gets toasted too often.

Lewis has been an excellent free-agent addition, allowing a passer rating of just 67.5 on throws in his coverage. ... Shields has flashed shutdown potential against the likes of A.J. Green and Josh Gordon, but he still surrenders too many big plays.

Solid starters: Brandon Flowers, Carlos Rogers, Captain Munnerlyn, Chris Harris, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Prince Amukamara, Asante Samuel, Sean Smith, Tim Jennings, DeAngelo Hall, William Gay, Alfonzo Dennard, Kareem Jackson

Flowers has not been able to shut down No. 1 receivers like he has done in previous seasons. ... A pick-six machine, Munnerlyn is the best player in an underrated Panthers' secondary. ... Harris and Rodgers-Cromartie have solidified Denver's defensive backfield in Champ Bailey's absence. ... Samuel has been outplayed by rookies Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford. ... Hall is enjoying a fine contract season, but he's missed too many tackles of late. ... Gay has surpassed Ike Taylor as the Steelers' most effective cornerback.

Pro Bowl potential: Stephon Gilmore, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant, Jimmy Smith, Walter Thurmond, Brandon Boykin

Gilmore got off to a slow start while playing with a club on his hand at midseason. He's just now rounding into the form that saw him flash lockdown potential as a rookie last year. ... Rhodes struggled with penalties early this season, but he's just now hitting his stride as a physical corner who likes to press bigger receivers. ... Trufant already has set the Falcons' rookie record with 14 pass deflections, good for second in the NFC.

Injuries affected Smith's play in his first two seasons. He's finally settling in as an above-average starter for the Ravens with the skill-set to emerge as a shutdown corner down the line. ... Thurmond was one of the NFL's premier slot corners before his four-game suspension kicked in. ... Boykin has primarily played in subpackages, but he's easily the best coverage corner in Philadelphia.

Best of the rest: Antonio Cromartie, Tarell Brown, Alan Ball, Will Blackmon, Dwayne Gratz, Tramaine Brock, Greg Toler, Corey Graham, Kyle Arrington, Leodis McKelvin, Bradley Fletcher, Pacman Jones, Terence Newman, Drayton Florence, Marcus Cooper, Orlando Scandrick, Cortez Allen, Jerraud Powers, Tracy Porter, Cary Williams, Buster Skrine, Chris Houston

After a well-deserved Pro Bowl nod last season, Cromartie has had trouble handling speed threats this year. The average completion in his coverage has gone for 20.1 yards, the highest total in the league. ... Ball and Blackmon have exceeded expectations as castoffs in Jacksonville this year. Gratz has impressed since returning from an ankle injury that cost him five games. ... Brock has played well enough in the nickel role to earn a new four-year contract extension from the 49ers.

Florence is a perfect example of Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman's under-the-radar free-agent signings, still pressing and re-routing receivers as a top-notch nickel corner. ... Cooper has been picked on by Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers the past three weeks, but that shouldn't obscure an excellent first half. ... Williams talks a big game, but he still gets beat too often in man coverage. ... Skrine is developing into a fine complement to Haden.
The playoff picture
How would your team's prospects look if the season ended today? See where each team stands in the playoff picture midway through the season. More ...

Struggling: Champ Bailey, Ike Taylor, Josh Wilson, Chris Cook, Morris Claiborne, Janoris Jenkins, Dee Milliner, Cortland Finnegan, Darius Slay, Derek Cox, Trumaine Johnson, Mike Jenkins, Josh Robinson

Bailey was benched last week after missing the majority of the season with a foot injury. He's clearly not back to his 2012 form. ... Taylor repeatedly has been burned since holding A.J. Green to 41 yards in Week 2. This looks like the beginning of the end of a stellar career for the 33-year-old. ... Cook was drafted to handle the likes of big receivers such as Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall in the NFC North. That responsibility will now fall on Rhodes' shoulders.

Claiborne and Milliner have been two of the most disappointing top-10 draft picks of the past two years. ... According to Pro Football Focus, Finnegan has allowed a passer rating of 136.0 on throws in his direction. Look for the Rams to cut ties in the offseason. ... Slay has plenty of promise, but the second-round draft pick's career is off to a rough start. ... Cox already has been benched multiple times this season.

Trainer's room: Leon Hall, Charles Tillman, Brandon Browner, Jabari Greer, DJ Hayden

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe got a taste of his first pick six and ever since then he's been trying to jump routes and has been giving up very hurtful long touchdown throws.

He needs to knock it off.

C
1st String
1st String
C
How in the world does Gordon not get recognized with the year he is having,and he even missed the first two games.Whatever...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
because the pro bowl is a joke. A popularity contest that is dominated by players that the press oogle over. I remember a year when Polamalu missed most of the season and still was voted in.

It is nice if they make it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Look how long it took Phil dawson to make it. If you take away Calvin Johson's first two games how many yards would he have? Not that it matters, Gordon is out playing most on that list.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. And the author was right about him shutting down the bigger guys but struggling w/quicker receivers. Guys who get out of their breaks quickly give Joe more problems.

Skrine should have been mentioned. His coverage has been excellent and his tackling is very good. The guy is having a year that should warrant Pro Bowl conversation.

Legend
Legend
also the voting started more than 2 weeks ago I believe. If it started today, it would be a different story for Gordon.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yes, I believe you to be right. He's also really biting on those double moves. He's always talked a lot about game films, so hopefully he corrects this problem. Other than that he's doing pretty well, though he has gotten beat twice in the past two weeks off of push offs, which I wouldn't attribute to him being bad.

Also isn't Josh banned from the Pro Bowl? I thought the Merriman rule said that if any player is suspended for drugs he cannot be in the pro bowl. Or was that only for PEDs?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Haden on path towards Pro Bowl

Link Copied to Clipboard