Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#827480 11/25/13 07:48 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Dawgs - got a situation. Going to brother in law's near Youngstown for Thanksgiving and he doesn't watch football. Claims his dish doesn't get network channels, no idea if that's true. The remote is never handy. At any rate, he doesn't like sports. He do like baking and jewelry (seriously).

So what I'm looking for is an app for my S4 that will let me watch the games, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Why not just trade him a Julia Childs cookbook for the remote?

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #827482 11/25/13 07:58 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Why not just trade him a Julia Childs cookbook for the remote?

HAHAHAHA!!!

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Get yourself a Sligbox as an early Christmas gift. Then you can watch anything that your TV shows on other computers, mobile devices, etc.

I travel a lot for work and love my Slingbox!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a question about the Slingbox. A lot of times I am at home and my wife is watching her show or maybe we are at a a local family event or what not. While I could get the NFL package or the MLB package or the NBA package to watch games on the go, if I am still in the local area the teams I want to see are blacked out.

Would the slingbox alleviate that problem? Could I watch the tribe or browns or cavs on my ipad while the wife watches one of her shows?

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have a question about the Slingbox. A lot of times I am at home and my wife is watching her show or maybe we are at a a local family event or what not. While I could get the NFL package or the MLB package or the NBA package to watch games on the go, if I am still in the local area the teams I want to see are blacked out.

Would the slingbox alleviate that problem? Could I watch the tribe or browns or cavs on my ipad while the wife watches one of her shows?

I think so. That's how my friend descripbes it to me.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

The ingenious of the Slingbox is in it's simplicity, but that is also it's limitation.

It is basically a device you plug in between your cable box and TV that acts as a virtual remote control. It intercepts the signal and broadcasts it to an app, browser, etc. There is a small extension that is placed in front of the infrared receiver on your box that acts as a remote control so you an control it via the app/browser. Basically what this means is that you are watching whatever is on the TV; you cannot watch two different things on a single TV.

What I do is put it on a TV that isn't used often so I can watch what I want to. Another option would be to get an additional cable box just for the Slingbox. You don't need a TV attached to it.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have a TV in the bedroom that has a cable box as well, so I would be able to hook the slingbox up there and basically access that screen on my ipad while the wife is using the downstairs TV for her show?

So whatever TV/cable box the slingbox is hooked up to, when watching something on say the ipad or iphone via the slingbox, that screen would not be accessible?

But other cable boxes/TV's in the household would?

Eat it Phil...
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

We have a TV in the bedroom that has a cable box as well, so I would be able to hook the slingbox up there and basically access that screen on my ipad while the wife is using the downstairs TV for her show?

So whatever TV/cable box the slingbox is hooked up to, when watching something on say the ipad or iphone via the slingbox, that screen would not be accessible?

But other cable boxes/TV's in the household would?

The cable box is still accessible - if someone were to change the channel on the cable box the Slingbox is on you would see the channel change on the device you are watching it on as well. Of course, the other TV's/boxes in the house can watch whatever. The Slingbox is basically an extension of whatever TV it is hooked up to. Whatever is on that TV is what is on the Slingbox regardless of who is controlling it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Dawgs - got a situation. Going to brother in law's near Youngstown for Thanksgiving and he doesn't watch football. Claims his dish doesn't get network channels, no idea if that's true. The remote is never handy. At any rate, he doesn't like sports. He do like baking and jewelry (seriously).

So what I'm looking for is an app for my S4 that will let me watch the games, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I'd get a headache and not be able to go..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Save yourself the pain and trouble and just read the post game comments. Chances are quite significant that you won't actually be missing anything, and that you will probably wish you were talking about jewelry all afternoon.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Damanshot #827491 11/26/13 02:17 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I'd get a headache and not be able to go..

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Save yourself the pain and trouble and just read the post game comments. Chances are quite significant that you won't actually be missing anything, and that you will probably wish you were talking about jewelry all afternoon.

I'm thinking of the games on Thrusday

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'm thinking of the games on Thrusday

Dallas, Detroit, and Balt-Pitt....... I'm not following your desire to watch

Ok, Packers-Lions might be interesting, but the rest are total garbage. Put on Wizard of Oz and talk about jewelry

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Yep tell him to bake you a cake and send it home with your wife. because you will be spending the day on your couch watching football.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Quote:

Quote:

The ingenious of the Slingbox is in it's simplicity, but that is also it's limitation.

It is basically a device you plug in between your cable box and TV that acts as a virtual remote control. It intercepts the signal and broadcasts it to an app, browser, etc. There is a small extension that is placed in front of the infrared receiver on your box that acts as a remote control so you an control it via the app/browser. Basically what this means is that you are watching whatever is on the TV; you cannot watch two different things on a single TV.

What I do is put it on a TV that isn't used often so I can watch what I want to. Another option would be to get an additional cable box just for the Slingbox. You don't need a TV attached to it.

I LOVE my slingbox. I have it located at my house (connected to a dedicated cable box, though not necessary) in Columbus so I can watch from Germany. It works pretty darn well most of the time (a lot can happen to the internet between here and there). I usually get about a 2.5 Mb connection to it from here, sometimes just 500k, sometimes 3.5Mb. From my mom's house in Youngstown I could connect to it at 4.5Mb. HD Quality starts to kick in around 1.5 Mb.

The biggest thing you need to consider is QoS and upload for your internet connection. If your upload on your internet is only 1.5Mb, you won't get that great of a connection remotely. My connection in Columbus has a 5Mb upload. I have the upload and download giving QoS preference in this order VOIP, slingbox, VPN, all other.

If you just want to use it around the house bandwidth isn't a concern as your home network is more than adequate.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Android App?

Link Copied to Clipboard