Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#828575 12/05/13 02:15 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
All this debate about this front office vs. the previous has gotten me thinking. If YOU were in charge, what would you do to fix this team?

And be realistic, this isn't Madden where you can trade Weeden for Andrew Luck lol.

A good place to check Free Agents

A mock draft to help you decide what players might be available with our picks

*Note - We have two 1st, 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, 5th, 6th, and 7th round draft picks.

I'll type mine up here in a minute, just wanted to get this thread up and get some discussion going.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
In my mind, it all starts with where we end up in the draft. QB MUST be addressed in the first round. Depending on who the FO falls in love with, we either stand pat or combine both first rounders to move up.

What I don't want to see is a deal like the RG3 debaucle where the team has mortgaged its future to get a QB.

I actually like the core of our team. We should look at FA to improve where possible- both depth and starting wise. LB, S and OG would be my priorities there- followed closely by CB.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Draft a QB high. Also a WR2.

A guard, or two, maybe an RT.

Then a RB.

I'd like another inside LB but I would take this exact defense into next year with more experience in the scheme. Add an offense that can keep the ball one-half or more of the game and actually score points and I think the D is just fine.

If the players are there I could put the entire draft into the Offense.

Pay Ward and Mack. Keep them here, if for no other reason than we can't replace them yet. Getting a rook to equal their current performance would be too high an expense.

Keep Hoyer, maybe Campbell, maybe draft another QB. Keep the new kid on the bench for one year, and get the friggin OL up to snuff, along with the run game, get the new WR up to speed, and THEN put the new kid in.

We must be READY to put the new kid in, because if he does not have success right away this fan base will persecute and crucify him, shatter his confidence and break him forever, both emotionally and psychologically. By the time this has happened, the team will start coming unglued and the coaches and FO will be replaced, again.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I can start with some generalities...

We need upgrades at the following positions: QB, RB, RG, RT, LG, ILB, S, WR, and CB

That is a long list, and a number of those, can be backups...like the Safety position...and many of the upgrades, would solidify our depth, because guys we have on the roster would be great depth on a good team (CRob being the best example).

Now...to upgrade the QB spot...I almost say avoid the draft. Brian Hoyer is talented, and could be a starter in the league...he could also flop hard...That's why we need an effective backup...Chad Henne is available if we were to go the route of a player who has been in the league. He is not bad...He isnt a viable long term starter, but he is not bad...and he is young, and willing to prove himself...Jason Campbell doesnt fit that anymore, he can go...with Weeden. Then late in the draft, I look to a guy like Kenny Guiton...hasnt had a chance, but has talent, and were it not for Pryor and Miller...couldve started at tOSU and prolly anywhere else...but that's okay. A late round pick on a guy that can throw but more importantly RUN and be a threat to avoid the pass rush...if we get to him on the roster...we need a guy that can move.

at RG...we need an upgrade, and I dont care how we approach it...if there is an FA...try it, but I'd look to the draft, retreads are usually gone for a reason...

Same with RT...but these guys need to be mean and push hard. I would look to try Gilkey at LG next year. Let him unseat Greco.

WR...first pick, Sammy Watkins. And we out. Maybe Marqise Lee 2nd 1st rounder if he is still available. Gordon, Watkins, Lee, Cameron? Good luck stopping us.

RB...we need a big guy. A between the tackles runner. Lewis comes back and hits the outside...we need a between the tackles guy. OGB is good but not great, keep him as FB.

I can do more later...

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Re-sign - TJ Ward and Alex Mack.

Sign - Jay Cutler -- I think this is realistic, because the more I read, the more it seems the Bears could let him walk at the end of the season. Now, I'm not exactly a big Cutler fan, but I'm also not blown away by any of the QB prospects in this draft. Cutler will only be 31 next year and has some good years left in him, in my opinion.

Sign - Ben Tate. I'm not usually a 'sign Free Agents' kind of guy, but I feel like Tate, at only 26 years old can come in and be a feature back for the next 4-5 seasons. I wouldn't overpay, but if the price is right, he's a guy I'd bring in.

Draft -

Round 1, Pick 1 - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M -- Might be considered a bit of a reach considering where we will be picking, but he's a big bodies possession receiver that would fit in nicely opposite of Gordon.

Round 1, Pick 2 - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State -- I don't think Skrine is bad, and he's shown a lot of improvement this year. But I'm just not sold on him being the #2 guy across from Haden. Roby is a Top 10 talent who a lot of people are projecting to fall into the 2nd half of the first round. If we can snag him in the mid-late 20's, it's a steal.

Rounds 2 and 3 need to address the Offensive line. I won't pretend to know enough about 2nd day offensive linemen to give an opinion on who we should take, but it's an area that needs improved.

Also, I'd take a late-round flyer on a Quarterback (A guy like Bryn Renner from North Carolina in the 6th, maybe)

A little unconventional, especially for me, the "Don't sign high priced free agents" guy wanting to sign both Cutler and Tate, but there it is.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I think you are higher on Roby than most Buckeye fans. He has all the talent in the world, but his on-field play has been underwhelming this season.

#gmstrong
H
1st String
1st String
H
At work and can't post much else, but if we waste a pick on roby in the first round I will puke. Waaaaaaay over rated. He can tackle yes. Cover? Absolutely not.

Hey I'm a huge osu fan. Huge. Therefore I see what we have. And I'm not a homer about it. Some people need not be such homers. Roby no. Kenny g? Lol. Someone can't be serious with that

Only osu player I want is Hyde. Maybe shazier, but we already have an undersized olb. Plus he will go to high. He's a safety/olb in the nfl. Neither really

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I agree his play has been underwhelming at times this year, but like you said, all the talent in the world. It's a value pick at a position of need late in the first round is how I look at it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
1. Drop Weeden and Campbell

2. Sign Cutler. Overpaying somewhat is ok, as long as the contract is on the shorter side. I like having Cutler here, but his act will get tired pretty quickly. If no Cutler, then hang onto Campbell.

3. Sign Ben Tate. Do not overpay. I think going after Tate is a really good idea, but I can see there being a bidding war for him. I wouldn't want to be in the middle of that. Pairing Tate with Lewis and a sprinkling of Ogby sounds pretty good to me. If we don't get Tate, we probably end up drafting someone (not sure how many other good, young'ish, starting RBs can be had via FA).

4. Draft 2 QBs. One should be a 1st-rounder and be the guy we really target (I don't know who that is, but the FO will). Draft another in the later rounds (again, I don't know who or where, but I'm hoping for 4th round or later). A guy that has no business starting within the next 2 years, but who oozes potential (this could be Norv's side project). Both of these guys would sit at least a year behind Hoyer and/or Campbell/Cutler. Yes, I'm saying we should carry 4 QBs between the active roster and the PS.

5. Draft a WR with whatever is left with our 1st round. This may be what people actually meant, but I don't want another "#2 WR". I want a stud. Gordon is a stud, and I want another stud lining up on the other side. We've had a parade of "#2's" come through here, and I'm sick of it. I don't think it's too much to ask for two stud WRs, especially with how much we pass the ball with mediocre to bad QB talent. Plus, Gordon's drug situation forces us to have a robust plan for depth behind him.

6. Draft or sign an OG or two. Once again, I don't know who's out there to target, but I would like to bring a guy in that would actually give our current guards real competition for their starting jobs (this sounds like someone we would sign via FA). I think it's reasonable to expect to get someone that is as good as or better than the guys we currently have.

7. RB, CB, LB(2), RT
I can't really get my head around dropping Schwartz at this point. If we find a guy that's an upgrade, fine. But I don't want to make it a huge priority. Depending on what we do in FA, RB might be something we focus on in the draft. I'd like to make another McFadden-esque pick in this draft to be able to let Owens go. This, and the LB picks(s) are a lower priority than 1-6, though, so we fit these in when we can.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Stopping trying to be cute with the QB position and settling for mediocre journeymen or later round QBs. They rarely win superbowls. If we do that then our ceiling is the Texans with Schaub. A treadmill team that's never a threat to win a Super Bowl.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
On the other side of that though, couldn't you say drafting a guy just for the sake of drafting a Quarterback leads you to years of losing?

Locker, Ponder, Weeden, Gabbert, etc. were all drafted because those teams needed a QB.

I'm just saying if there's no one in the draft you like, don't take a QB just for the sake of taking a QB.

E
Legend
Legend
E

1. Its not broke for an over haul.
2. I would submit a complaint to the NFL offices that our QB does not get the same protection as other teams. We lose too many QBs to concussion from blows to the head without flags thrown. Fines after the fact do us no good.

3. I would invest first round for a QB. #1 priority is accuracy and must have the IT factor.

4. I would not use multiple draft picks to move up.

5. With our additional First round pick I would of course look for us to go BPA...but we could get one of the best OGs in the draft, ILB or TE all three tend to not get picked early.

6. With our 2nd round pick of course BPA but I would consider a Safety or RB as a possible priority.

7. I would fire one of our OL coaches...two heads are never good. Both have the same title neither is noted as the asst. OL coach...either make Sullivan or Warhop THE COACH.

8. Continuity...praise Chud and his staff regardless of our Win Loss record. Let it be known this is the Offense and Defense we will be sticking with for years. As well as the coaching staff.

9. Secure top punting and kicking talent for ST. Even if we utilize a draft pick to obtain them.

10. Let the players progress no major overhaul. Continue to add pieces.

11. Utilize FA again for a couple more talent on the first day - young and up and comers!

JMHO - Oh and Get Cheer Leaders for those TV timeout entertainment.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

On the other side of that though, couldn't you say drafting a guy just for the sake of drafting a Quarterback leads you to years of losing?

Locker, Ponder, Weeden, Gabbert, etc. were all drafted because those teams needed a QB.

I'm just saying if there's no one in the draft you like, don't take a QB just for the sake of taking a QB.

Fortune favors the bold.

Let's not become the ex girlfriends of the NFL scared of getting hurt again.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I think there is a large grey area between drafting Andrew Luck or drafting another Charlie Frye.

If the best QB available has a decent shot of becoming an above avg QB, you take him because we have to have someone better than we have now.

Much like when we took Weeds, not picking a QB is just not an option. You take the best one you can get and then you keep doing it until you hit. Hopefully he will have time to develop before the fans crush his skull and eat his brain.

By #2 WR, what I mean there is somebody good enough to earn the spot. It doesn't have to be a Josh Gordon/AJ Green level of talent.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
First of all, KFFL has no Browns free agents...makes me question whether the rest of the site is accurate or not. Second, DraftTek is not very good historically on their big board accuracy, or their draft. I'm going to use CBS for the big board.

Anyway...

Cut Weeden.

Attempt to re-sign Mack and Ward to appropriate contracts, but don't break the bank for either. Re-sign Billy Cundiff. Re-sign Shaun Lauovao at the right price. Let all remaining free agents go.

Attempt to sign the following free agents:
Brandon Spikes, MLB (likely about $7M/year avg)
Sam Shields, CB (if we don't sign Shields, re-sign Owens)
Johnathon Goodwin or Fernando Velasco, C (if we cannot sign Mack)
Chris Clemons, S (if we cannot sign Ward)

Draft: using CBS as a big board baseline:
Round 1 (assuming we sign C, SS, MLB, CB)
a)Draft Carr if available at our first pick. Otherwise, target Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans.
b) If QB at 1a, draft Cyril Richardson OG. If no QB at 1a, draft Hundley (assuming he comes out).
Round 2
if no OG at 1b, Zach Martin, OG, if no WR, Odell Beckham, WR

If Hundley comes out, at this point we'd have OG, WR, QB drafted

Round 3
a) Seantrel Henderson, OT
b) Carlos Hyde, RB
Round 4
a) Dion Bailey, FS
b) AJ Johnson, MLB
Round 5
De'Anthony Thomas, RB
Round 6
David Fales, QB
Round 7
Colt Lyerla, TE

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Folks really believe that Hyde will last until .. 155 Carlos Hyde Ohio State

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Folks really believe that Hyde will last until .. 155 Carlos Hyde Ohio State

he is going to go in the 2nd round. that is the new "1st round graded RB" spot.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Great topic.

The first thing I would do once this season is over is I'd cut Weeden and take whatever cap hit is coming my way. I think we have the space to absorb whatever hit that is. (Maybe someone can enlighten us on that?) I don't care what it is, I don't want him on this roster. Not even has a 3rd string QB.

The second thing I would do was have a sit down with Brian Hoyer, and say that the job is now his, going into OTA's and training camp. I don't care about competition. I think that crap is overrated. If they had made Weeden earn his spot last training camp, guess what? He still sucks, and he still probably flips passes. Every beat writer says the same thing about Weeden, he lights up practices.

I would try and work something out with Ray Horton. A bump in pay. I would love to keep him around 2 more seasons. I know if they take a jump like they did this year, he will be gone. I think he will be around next year. How many openings are we looking at? I would say 3-5. Usually once playoff hits. Those teams and their coordinators tend to become the hot candidates which will put Horton on the backburner. It happened last year.

I would sign TJ Ward to hopefully something fair for both sides. I value him as our highest asset that needs to be resigned.

I would try to work out something with Alex Mack but would be prepared to let him go. I understand how important good lineman are, but he's not a guard or left tackle.

I would throw money at Ben Tate, nothing ridiculous, but I think he's got good years left.

As far as the draft goes...

If I were picking the guy, I'd go with Carr or Bortles. That would be done with our pick. With the Colts pick, I want the BPA at the positions of WR, OG, ILB. Just rank those guys and find the best player there.

With our second round pick, I would consider those positions, and also the position of free safety and corner.

Once the third round hits, then I think you consider all those positions, plus the position of RB and TE. Even if we sign Tate, I would like to see a fresh body to go along with Tate, to possibly even transition into a starter as soon as mid-season. I think with Chud's offense, you need another TE. Barnidge is nice, but I think we can upgrade there. Not as pressing a need as others.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Fortune favors the bold.

I agree, but let's not jump in for rebound sex either, jumping on the next pretty QB that walks by just to make us feel temporarily better.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'd love to sign Cutler. Heck, the QB being as important as it is I'd sign Cutler AND draft a 1st round QB and keep Hoyer. In fact, Cutler and Carr are pretty similar. I've always been a fan of having QBs with similar strengths on a team as it would be easier for them to learn/teach as well as execute the same gameplan. As far as the rest of the draft, I cobbled something together in the "early look at the NFL draft" thread which had us taking a QB, TE, and WR early, then a LB, RB, and OG in the 3rd and 4th, then another RB, a C/OG, and a CB. I might take a legit FB in the seventh if there's one we like since we NEED to improve our run game.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
These are always fun.

For me it all has to depend on the solution to the QB. In the order of my preference/probability...
A: Hoyer, 4th and 7th rnd rook and trade for future picks
B: Cutler
C: Bridgewater

Obviously with FA happening first if Cutler were to magically become available and end up a Brown it would alter things. And for the record he is the prototype for this offense. That is why I must discuss him as an option. Unless your in create-a-player mode you will not find a better fit.

As much as I like Teddy as a QB I wonder if he is the type of leader who succeeds in the NFL. He has a skillset similar to Aaron Rodgers, but a mindset of Matt Ryan. I am just not a fan of the passive QB. If he's available though by trade I would be extremely tempted and mostly on choose my option A because I believe he will be a Viking.

So if I was to fix the team.....

Extend Joe Haden, Phil Taylor, maybe Skrine, Sheard, Cameron or Gipson as well

Cut Weeden

Our own FA's: Alex Mack, TJ Ward, Lauvao if under 2 mil a year

Major FA's: RB Toby Gerhart(Ben Tate is far too fragile)
S Jairus Byrd

Draft:
Trade down to the 10-15 range(add 2nd). If impossible still take an OT and take an ILB in the 3rd as opposed to the 2nd.
1A: OT Cyrus Kouandjio Bama
1B: WR Odell Beckham Jr. LSU
Trade 2A for 2015 1st
2B: ILB Yawin Smallwood Conn
Trade 3A for 2015 2nd
3B: RB DeAnthony Thomas Oregon
4A: our BPA QB
Trade 4B for 2015 3rd
5: Jacob Pederson TE Wisc
6: Jordan Lynch QB NIU
7: Wayne Lyons CB Stanford

With this scenario we still have some promise at QB in Hoyer and two rookie QB with Campbell as a solid backup. Lynch can survive on the PS until an injury occurred.

We get a varied group of young RB with different skillsets in Toby, Obi(how great would it be to have Toby and Obi) and Thomas/Lewis fighting it out as our Sproles type.

I really like Beckham. He's only 6' 200lbs but he can fly and plays like a faster Reggie Wayne. He attacks the ball better than Gordon IMO and would really accel at the intermediate routes as well as screens giving us a great trio who accel at deep(Gordon), intermediate(Beckham), and short(Bess) routes. He is also a capable returner and would give us added value by having a good backup for Benji on ST.

Pederson gives us a guy who can play TE and HBack giving us extra versatility.

I think Smallwood has big time potential. He has elite size and instincts. He won't cover the Jimmy Grahams for 5=secs but his height will make it difficult for TE's to haul in over the shoulder balls and he reacts well in zone.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Fortune favors the bold.

I agree, but let's not jump in for rebound sex either, jumping on the next pretty QB that walks by just to make us feel temporarily better.

I don't know...

A long enough dry spell makes 6's look like 10's

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
As I said at the beginning of the season "this team is close, real close." All of you hoped, but few believed. This far into the season it is clear Weeden is not the man, we seriously need a RB, and I havent heard anyone hate on Skrine in a while.

Positions of need (in order): QB, RB, Wr, Interior lineman, ILB, CB, S. DL, ILB

QB-obvious, but is it? We didnt get a big enough sample of Hoyer to be confident going into next year. Campbell has proven to be Cambell, solid but tends to flail at times. So who do we pick and where? I do believe its important to bring top lvl talent in but I dont think we are in dire straights which gives us some options. I'm reserving judgement on the order of the rookies coming in. I favored Marietta. And now he's out of consideration.

I would like to see us bring in McCown not cutler and draft someone in the first 3 rounds.. Cutler has to many head issues for me and is past his prime.
Im an anti-Manziel person, I hope we dont get him. I want stability and maturity at the QB position. Not someone who flashes money signs all game long and gets saved all game by Evans. Whomever we pick, I hope its someone that we can bring in and not rush to play. If he can play, play em. If not let him grow before throwing him on the field.

WR- I would like to take one of the big 3 in the first round Watkins, Evans, Lee in that order. I would really like to see our first pick be a WR. Fa's Eric Decker, Macklin, and Ginn (can be backup KR).

ILB- If the guy we want at QB isnt there in the first,and we have our WR. We would be in the perfect spot to get a high profile LB. Mosely or Shazier would be ideal. I hope we can bring in a couple young guys to compete.

RB- I would draft someone with our 2nd. Hyde would be perfect if he still available or Gordon. Fa options Jones-drew, Tate, legarret Blount,

IOL- I really hope we retain Mack. Him and Thomas have been the staple to this line. Hopefully, Pinkston can make some type of return and Gilkey improve. We need to find someone to eliminate these questions by the end of the 3rd round.

CB- I think Skrine has stepped up this year, but we definitely need to get someone in here with size/speed at corner. If we have an opportunity to get Dennard or Roby I think we should.

S- I think we need to continue to bring in talent at both safety positions. Gipson has stepped up and I hope he continues to improve. Bademosi is functional but I wouldnt want to depend on him full time if Ward goes down.

DL- I'm very pleased with how we stand. We have talent and depth. I think its important to continue to bring young talent here and increase our depth. This will be a staple of our team for years to come.

C
1st String
1st String
C
We all know the positions needed - QB,RB,G,T,WR,CB,S ect; With that in mind,I think it's best to draft players that they want as they become available.They shouldn't take a QB or RB if it's a 2nd tier player.They don't have to spend all those picks,and should trade them for the year after if needed.Quality over quantity is my theory.I don't like having to go out and overpay for guys like Kruger who really don't produce enough to justify the $.If the Browns can even just add a G,RB and WR..this offense would be much more solid.I would hate to see them waste a 1st on a garbage QB again for the umpteenth time,so if there isn't a real good one,just wait.We really are a couple of players away from having a ferocious defense,and I would add those pieces accordingly.I didn't like the Mingo pick,with so many good linemen available,and I want this FO to get it right this upcoming draft as I have little patience for another bad season.Anyways,that's my take on it.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Let me kinda start over...

I'd like to start with what the end of the season would bring.

Mack and Ward need re-signed...That being said. Their need and numbers will determine that. TJ Ward is very good and should be the highest priority of the two. He makes our 2ndary good. He is consistent, and is a beast against the run.
Mack is good not great in my opinion. he isn't one we'll have to worry about, and would prolly look much better with better guards around him. I've always liked him, but never felt that he is as good a center as we could get. Doesn't get great push...
CRob needs re-signed, the rest can go or stay, I don't care...

That covers our free agents...

at QB...

I sign Chad Henne or John Skelton. Hoyer stays, but we need insurance for him in a veteran...Chad Henne has started in this league and not been horrible...though he has had NO help in Jax. I think he is a good QB that hasn't been given a fair shake. A perfect backup to have...sign him to a slightly higher than market value contract. If he gets big money or re-signs or is off the table. A guy like John Skelton becomes the guy. I first had thoughts of trade for Mallett or Osweiler...but both of the QBs ahead of them will have to retire eventually, and that time is coming sooner rather than later...price tag will be too high. So grab one of those two to be backups for Hoyer. Also...consider Ryan Lindley...yes he was terrible in Az...but that isn't a good example of his abilities.

RB: Dion Lewis remains...Joique Bell, Donald Brown, Rashad Jennings, and Andre Brown are all free agents...I'd look for in order, Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings, Joique Bell, and then Donald Brown to sign...The first 3 are between the tackles grinders that would offset Lewis perfectly. Keep OGB, and consider keeping McGahee, sign him to a contract that doesn't guarantee any salary if he gets cut.

WR: Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, or Denario Alexander...In that order...look to ink one of them if possible...If not, no big deal. Maclin could have a lower price tag since he hasn't had a chance to showcase himself cuz of injury...but his injury was early enough that he wont be affected come next season. If those guys aren't available...that's okay, sign none of em and wait for draft day.

OL: Bruce Campbell for RT only...he is familiar with Chud and is a big mauler. RG: Zane Beadles has stepped in admirably in Denver...that's it there for FAs worthwhile.

DL: Change nothing.

LB: Sign Arthur Moats from Buffalo if available to backup the inside...kid can play.

DB: First and foremost...sign Haden to an extension. before he blows up and becomes even bigger money than he is already worth.
Stevie Brown could come in and compete for a starter spot. and Major Wright could come in and start. Alterraun Verner is really talented, but would command too much money. But at a reasonable price tag...Haden, Verner, Skrine, and McFadden would kill...sign Owens to cheap money and we're golden there...or draft someone real late.

that covers FA:

Draft...

1a: Sammy Watkins WR, Clemson
1b: Marqise Lee WR, USC (or Odell Beckham, WR LSU)
2: Cyril Richardson G, Baylor
3a: Shayne Skov ILB, Stanford (wont last that long) or Christian Jones, ILB FSU
3b: Marcus Roberson, CB Fla
4a: James Wilder Jr. RB FSU (if he lasts), Andre Williams RB BC
4b: Xavier Grimble TE USC
5: Aaron Murray or David Fales

After that...BPA, including a kicker

QB: Hoyer, Henne, Murray
RB: Lewis, Wilder, Andre Brown
FB: OGB
WR: Gordon, Watkins, Lee, Benjamin, Bess
TE: Cameron, Grimble, Barnidge, Gray
OL: JT73, Greco/Gilkey, Mack, Richardson/Beadles, Campbell
DL: Winn, Taylor, Rubin, Kitchen, Bryant, Bryant, Hughes
LB: Kruger, Sheard, Mingo, Groves, CRob, DQ, Jones, Eubanks
DB: Haden, Verner, Skrine, Roberson, Owens, Ward, Gipson, Bademosi, Slaughter/Stevie Brown
P: Lanning
LS: Yount
K: Draft pick or Cundiff

We need some backup OLers...I didn't fill the roster...I am at 48-49 ish...

That's how I'd go about it...

It has to start somehow
N
Legend
Legend
N
you make alot of moves that I like in your post. but, if Murray & Fales are gone in the 5th round (quite possible), then we are rolling with Hoyer/Henne/Skelton at QB. Or, basically the 2012 Arizona Cardinal QB situation that caused them such panic to trade for Carson Palmer.

I worry greatly about our QB situation.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
If they're gone...I look to draft a different player.

Connor Shaw, Bryn Renner, Tom Savage, Jordan Lynch, Kenny Guiton, Jeff Mathews (Cornell, big kid, don't know anything about him but like his size), Casey Pachall (TCU, same thing) are all guys that could be late pickups that could just be there.
If they weren't worth the flyer...look into a guy like Hoyer who just doesn't catch on somewhere...a kid like an Alex Tanney, like a Thad Lewis was for us...

someone that we can just stash.

I worry about the QB spot...but if we had Hoyer and Henne/Skelton I don't hate it...and let a young kid sit back there and learn and if all else fails...get late season snaps.

Thing I feel about Hoyer and Henne/Skelton are that that if they have the talent around them in Gordon, Watkins, Lee, Cameron, and Bess...plus a mix of Lewis and Jennings/Brown/hammer RB thudder/plodder/between the tackles guy it'd give him EVERY chance to succeed.

Hoyer has shown in limited time that he can make the guys around him look good, and with more guys to do that...he could be very good. Yes he had a few turnovers...but his ball placement on his throws was just so impressive to me, that I could live with bad decisions here and there and feel good about him. He threw the ball where HE wanted it...where it belonged for the WR to catch and still make a play. His only bad throws involved a DB/LB jumping the route, or coming out of hiding...That is something you can learn. Ball placement is huge and I think Hoyer has that in spades.

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
jc.

how would i fix the team?

i'd start by evaluating these junior and senior college QB's. see who performs with these title games and bowl games on the line.

i'd be on the phone with the teams ahead of us at the end of the season discussing trade offers, if i THINK there is a QB worth trading the farm for.

so i'd get a QB.

but if there isn't. i wouldn't pick one in the first round just to pick one.

with the 1st pick, i'd go best G or RT available.

with the 2nd 1st round pick, depending on where it falls from the colts, i'd see what QB's are still on the board, and why. are they worth taking a 1st for?

if not, i might just pick a ILB. DQ is solid, but i'm not too sold on Robertson just yet.

with the 2nd pick, i'd go ahead and pick the best WR left on the board, a burner, maybe a possesion WR.

i would trade the two 3rd round picks to pick the best RB left on the board in the 3rd round.

with the 4th, i would pick up kenny quiton for OSU.

in the FA, i'd be looking for a CB, and possibly another OLB. but i'd look for a G or RT in the FA as well.

i would keep hoyer, and have him start over kenny quiton no matter what. until either hoyer plays like crap or gets injured. but our rookie QB needs to learn on the bench first, i don't want him thrown into the fire first game of the season, unless he just outplays hoyer in every aspect of the game.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I am not as sure of how to fix the team as most of you guys. I have a few ideas, but can't be as specific as you guys are. Here goes:

--I would fire Sullivan, the OL coach, and let Warhop have complete control. Of course, the Browns will probably do the opposite, because Sullivan is the one w/ties to our new coaches.

--I would look for an upgrade for Tabor, the Special Teams coach.

--I would keep the rest of the coaching staff intact.

--I would resign Mack. I would offer Ward a decent contract, but would let him walk if he demands big money.

--I would make a play for Cutler if he is available. I think he fits Norv's offense perfectly.

--I would keep Hoyer no matter what. If we don't get Culter, I would give Hoyer every opportunity to win the job in TC.

--If we don't get Cutler, I would keep Campbell. I would cut Weeden, although I have to say I was actually pleased w/much of his game last week. His decisions were quicker and he was more accurate. The turnovers were killers, but he looked better to my eyes.

--Again, assuming we don't get Culter.......I would draft a qb w/one of our first round picks, but I would not use both to move up for one of these guys. I might consider it if we could get Bridgewater, but I doubt that happens.

--I would scour the free agent list and look for another ILBer and a RB.

--Besides drafting a QB in round 1, I would draft best player available w/some flexibility. For example, I would not draft a LT, defensive lineman, or OLBer if there were guys who were very close on my board at other positions. I think it is a huge mistake to target positions. My first priority is to draft the best players, w/what positions they play taking a secondary role. I don't ignore it, but I focus on the best talent. Therefore, I can't give you a list of guys I would draft.

--I would keep Cundiff, but might look to upgrading the punting position.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First I would suggest that a QB is probably the difference between 8-4/7-3 and 4-8. The NFL game is tied to the QB performance, and the Browns do not have a QB.

So, It all begins with the QB. If one is not available by trade or FA, you draft one, or two, and move forward with the youngsters.

I am not a Cutler fan, he is a prima donna, and injury prone.

Everything else is meaningless. Detroit was terrible until Stafford, KC turns it around with Smith, and we can go on, and on.

Yes a RB would be nice, so would some OL help and someone other than Little. But those are nit picks until a QB is found.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I think Spencer Lanning has been solid. I'd love to get a combo of Pat Angerer and Ben Tate.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm surprised no one has suggested trading a third to New England for Mallet. He has had three years in the league learning from Brady. The more I look at this qb class the less impressed I become. Injuries have weakened it, Mariotta stays in school... After Teddy, Manziel might be next best -at least he has the it factor. Will have to see where our picks land, I would not use our first on him- I go WR. We need some weapons to replace Little. Then I just let the draft come to me, best player available. Don't reach. There are enough places on this roster that need upgrade without reaching for one position. The colts first rounder could have a lot of value, that could get traded for a first next year and a 2nd and change this year....

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
While exciting, I'll have to respectfully disagree with Manziel having the it factor.

I'd label his abilities as escapability, quick, and maybe add in creative. Beyond that, head case, poor decision maker, poor footwork, and average arm strength. I watched 5 or 6 of his games this year and don't see this guy translating to an NFL offense.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I wouldn't be too against Cutler. To me, getting Cutler says that they don't like anyone that's out there.

Whether you like him or not, Cutler won't last here. I'd love him as a true stop-gap guy.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...how to fix the team ...

I'd gladly provide my thoughts, but you've got to pay me first...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

While exciting, I'll have to respectfully disagree with Manziel having the it factor.

I'd label his abilities as escapability, quick, and maybe add in creative. Beyond that, head case, poor decision maker, poor footwork, and average arm strength. I watched 5 or 6 of his games this year and don't see this guy translating to an NFL offense.

I see the same thing. Evans and the other 2 big receivers have aided him big time with their ability to go up and get the ball. I think he will have major issues with leadership and his playground style ball doesnt translate well into the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm surprised no one has suggested trading a third to New England for Mallet. He has had three years in the league learning from Brady. The more I look at this qb class the less impressed I become. Injuries have weakened it, Mariotta stays in school... After Teddy, Manziel might be next best -at least he has the it factor. Will have to see where our picks land, I would not use our first on him- I go WR. We need some weapons to replace Little. Then I just let the draft come to me, best player available. Don't reach. There are enough places on this roster that need upgrade without reaching for one position. The colts first rounder could have a lot of value, that could get traded for a first next year and a 2nd and change this year....

Mallett scares me because we would almost certainly have to extend him as soon as we traded for him. Otherwise we would have one year to know for certain if he is the guy or not. That's fine if he plays lights out, but what if he's just "OK"? I would be OK with trading a mid round pick for him and letting him compete as part of a new dynamic with Hoyer, Mallet, and a rookie ...... but that's about it for me.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
My issue with Mallett is the price tag it would take to get him...

Brady has how long left? He's 36...Mallett is the heir apparent...How do you pry away the heir apparent...You'd have had to pay a high price for Aaron Rodgers while Favre was still playing...now they got Mallett cheaper, but...he would cost a ton...Prolly too much for his quality.

Think it took a 2nd for Schaub...

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
I don't know that Mallett is the heir apparent.

Brady isn't fading to the point that he will play one more year and then retire. He is still playing at a very high level, even through a difficult transitional year as far as his receivers go. I suspect that he'll be back towards the top of the NFL in passing again next year.

I look at Mallett, and he probably wants to go try to find a starting gig somewhere. He is unlikely to re-sign with the Pats once he becomes a free agent,and they are not going to franchise their backup QB.

Either they keep him and then allow him t move on next year, or they trade him next year. It is really difficult to trade for a guy like that, because you have to be sure, and you really don't have a great deal to go on. He has played some pre-season, but we all know how that works. Other than that he has thrown 4 NFL passes.

You only get one year to evaluate the kid, and then you either have to try to re-sign him to, presumably, a huge deal .. or let him walk. You might even have to franchise him. That's a lot of evaluation for one year, nd if you're wrong, it's a huge expense.

I would rather get a guy like that going into his 3rd season, so you have 2 seasons to determine what you have.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Real simple for me.

Required fixes.

QB, #2 WR, OG, RB.

ILB, CB, S.

Free Agency---Let Mack and Ward go. Both want more than their worth. I believe we want a more physical Center and Mack is part of our pathetic running woes. Ward is lacking in any coverage skills. That was the beef when he came out and it's true today.

Extend Haden while the market is at 6M a year. None of this 12M Clemens got from Frisco several years ago.

Sign Aqib Talib and get Skrine away from #2 WR's.

Sign Tate at RB.

Find a more physical Center that can actually provide some push up front.

Draft targets with alot of picks to manuever in rounds 2-4.

1a--Watkins WR Clemson
1b--QB--Make the move up if need be for Bortles UCF (Sit him behind Hoyer and Campbell until he's ready.

2--Cyril Richardson Baylor OG

3a--AJ Johnson ILB Tennessee
3b--Safety

1)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How would YOU fix the team?

Link Copied to Clipboard