Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
http://fox8.com/2013/12/09/sports-personality-tony-rizzo-arrested/

Did you guys see this? I listen to him and Hammer (who is incredibly annoying) every morning on the TuneIn radio app. This is really surprising to me.

Also, it happened a few days ago and he was on the radio this morning. Apparently, WKNR is standing behind him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
No patience or sympathy for guys that hit women. Being drunk isn't an excuse.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Nope. Inexcusable for anyone.

I hope this isn't true. I have been a fan of his for years.

Regardless of what happened, he should not have been on the air today.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I actually can't stand the man and Hammer is more annoying than any other radio personality that I've ever heard.

Maybe Rizzo can join Chuck Galeti on the trash heap of radio personalities gone bad. Maybe he should lay off the Joe Bees bee pollen. May be a tough one from Russo, Rosalina get him out of on this one.

I stopped listening to them and move on to listen to WKRK. I find Kiley & Booms more entertaining anyway.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Wow. What a shmuck.

And shame on 'KNR. I know he's your meal ticket, but you allow him to be on the network pregame yesterday, and his own show today... and release that statement? Wow.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Wow. What a shmuck.

And shame on 'KNR. I know he's your meal ticket, but you allow him to be on the network pregame yesterday, and his own show today... and release that statement? Wow.

That's what happens when your radio station is run by a guy who got it as a college graduation gift.

Legend
Legend
IF he is guilty throw the book at him. If not then I feel sorry for him. I will wait till all the info comes out before I form a opinion.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ditto.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
He'll talk "Ms. Catherine" out of pressing charges and may have to pay a fine and maybe take some counseling classes. Rizzo will buy a big diamond from Bookman & Sons to wipe away her bruises!!

Here's an article with 911 audio.

Link with 911 audio

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I actually can't stand the man and Hammer is more annoying than any other radio personality that I've ever heard.

Maybe Rizzo can join Chuck Galeti on the trash heap of radio personalities gone bad. Maybe he should lay off the Joe Bees bee pollen. May be a tough one from Russo, Rosalina get him out of on this one.

I stopped listening to them and move on to listen to WKRK. I find Kiley & Booms more entertaining anyway.

Rizzo ascended one level above his talents when he left the WMJI morning show to have his own show.

But to address the topic - if he's guilty, Burn Him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I listen to the really big show every day and I was blown away when he started talking about it. He contends that he is innocent.

We'll find out sooner or later.

Legend
Legend
I'm not familiar with the guy but if he was choking her and hitting her in the face, that should be easy enough to prove.

As for the station, the comment is very weak.. I could have lived with something along the lines of, "These are very serious accusations but the station is going to allow the legal process to be carried out and we will act accordingly." ...

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
I've never really had any people work under me, but I would think that if I did, and employee of mine had something like that happen, I would tell them to take a few days to get your life in order. Even if nothing physical had happened, obviously there are some serious problems there.

But to have the guy on the air is just horrible.

Will Burge had a hell of a tweet yesterday when this was all unfolding, he's a younger guy who was the beat reporter for the Browns that worked there. He was let go a few months ago, and basically he said something along the lines of to think they let me go because I didn't fit their culture.

I don't know what happened, I know he has been divorced before and recently remarried, but I do know that sometimes people lie about stuff like that, certainly not the majority of the time, but it happens. The cops have to bring you in regardless. If you make the call, the other person is getting brought in.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

but I would think that if I did, and employee of mine had something like that happen, I would tell them to take a few days to get your life in order. Even if nothing physical had happened, obviously there are some serious problems there.

I don't disagree with you.. but people play the perception.. if I take a few days off will that make me look guilty? Or maybe the guy just lives for his job.. I work with a guy like that, his home life isn't violent or anything but its not great and when things aren't going well at home, he buries himself in his job... that's how some folks are. Can't say they are wrong, just that that isn't how I would handle it.

Quote:

but I do know that sometimes people lie about stuff like that, certainly not the majority of the time, but it happens.

People do lie, more often though people exaggerate because they just aren't used to being in those types of situations. I would assume there was a high level of tension, probably some yelling, maybe some physical contact (which is wrong on any level) but was he really choking her and hitting her in the face? If so, I would assume she would look pretty bad and have a bunch of bruising and maybe some bleeding.. As a guy, when I hear "choking and hitting in the face" the image that comes to mind is a street fight.... My guess is that the truth is somewhere between just yelling and what I envision as choking and hitting in the face.. either way it's wrong to lay your hands on anybody out of anger unless its in self-defense...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Geez,,, I guess I don't get it. I was raised to NEVER hit a woman.. NEVER. Just walk away is what I was taught. I can't believe I'm the only one.

As for annoying,, have you listened to Booms. Geesh that guy is the definition of Annoying.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

As for annoying,, have you listened to Booms. Geesh that guy is the definition of Annoying.

With out a doubt. It sucks having to listen to him, but they are the only LOCAL sports news on my drive to work.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

With out a doubt. It sucks having to listen to him, but they are the only LOCAL sports news on my drive to work.

I feel your pain brother. I don't know if anyone saw it, but the show that comes on Channel 19 after games has Booms, Hanford Dixon, Golic and some announcer I don't know the name of. During the after game show this past week, the announcer type had to tell Booms to shut up. LOL But he didn't.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Geez,,, I guess I don't get it. I was raised to NEVER hit a woman.. NEVER. Just walk away is what I was taught. I can't believe I'm the only one.

That's the way I was raised as well. I have never hit a woman in a violent manner, and I never will, unless my life was in direct and immediate threat of being ended. (like if a woman was trying to stab me or something)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Booms is the WORST.

I don't know why he's getting so many opportunities on Cleveland radio. I understand that people who hate him tune in, but, I really believe people are more listening because it's local sports. You could put anyone on the air and if they are talking Cleveland sports, they will draw. Especially in that slot while people are driving to work, and listening at work. He's horrible and knows nothing about sports. He sounds like the guy who watches the highlights of the game and then talks about it the next day as if he watched the whole game.

People hate on Goldhammer, but at least that dude knows what he's talking about part of the time.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That's the way I was raised as well. I have never hit a woman in a violent manner, and I never will, unless my life was in direct and immediate threat of being ended. (like if a woman was trying to stab me or something)

Well yeah, if my life hung in the balance,, hell yeah, I'd hit a woman..

But otherwise, no. Not in the cards

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I see you were raised by a women too.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I see you were raised by a women too.

LOL yes, but the parent that taught me not to hit women was a MAN.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
jc

"I've been going through a lot but I get through it because I take Joebees!"

Oof. Might have to be done with this show for a while.

D
Legend
Legend
D
"Well, you see, your honor, I was all jacked up on Joebees ..."

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Did he actually say that this morning?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It was a paraphrasing on my part but yes, I do believe he used it to segue into a Joebees spot, if I heard correctly.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He uses everything as a segue. I like the show, but his segues into commercials drive me bonkers

M
Legend
Legend
M
Tony Rizzo's show is horrible...add Hammer to the mix and its a complete dumpster fire. Take 'em off the air.

Tackles are tackles.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Tony Rizzo's show is horrible...add Hammer to the mix and its a complete dumpster fire. Take 'em off the air.

I took them off my computer stream.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, all of ESPN Cleveland's shows are pretty terrible. All I listen to is 92.3FM. Although, I'm not that big on Andy Baskin and Dustin Fox and their general knowledge and preparedness of sports related stuff, but good thing they're attached to co-hosts that actually have an idea of what's going on, IMO.

Rizzo and Hammer are an embarrassment.

Tackles are tackles.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Ken Carman is my favorite show. I wish he would do postgame for the Browns, but they have him doing some lame pregame stuff now....

I don't mind Bull and Fox but Bull irritates me the more I listen to him. Everybody is just "ok" or they're horrible. He kinda comes off as the snotty New York City guy who isn't amazed by anything, oh wait, that's exactly what he is.

Legend
Legend
You could leave the word 'Cleveland' out of your statement and still be correct.

Browns is the Browns

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I came across 92.3 when I was listening to Rizzo & Hammer one morning and a caller to the show went off on them. It was Hammer's response that was something like, "You know that you can listen to that other show down the dial if you don't like this one." I went searching for it and found it. Haven't listened to BSPN Cleveland since.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm in the vast minority, but I actually like Goldhammer. He needs to learn restraint, but I like having an outsider's opinion. Its not always the end of world (as it is with Booms), or awesome (as it is with Rizzo). He and Rizzo balance each other very, very well. I think when either one is out, the show slips drastically.

As to the incident, I've flipped from the show for a while. I was on lunch when Fox8 and Scene broke the story, at about 11:45 Monday morning. Out of morbid curiousity, I turned on KNR to see what was being said. Rizzo was talking that he had a personal announcement after the break. He came back from the break and said that something "was going" to break, and he wanted to be forward with his listeners about it. It had already broken, so that annoyed me. Then, in the midst of talking around the issue, he worked in a plug for Russo Rosalina, in helping him deal with the legal issue. I don't care if this is entirely overblown and made up, that crossed a line of common decency. I turned off the station and haven't turned it back on.

WKNR is in DEEP trouble if anything happens with Rizzo though. They paid way too much for Browns rights, and as a consequence, have laid off pretty much all of their back-up on-air personalities. Je'rod Cherry is now on the afternoon show, so they can't add him back to the mornings. Fedor is gone, Burge is gone, Zuppe is gone (all to 92.3, and all very good, young hires). All KNR has left to move around is Munch or Brinda, both tired, old personalities that Cleveland seems to be over. If Rizzo ends up being off-air for any extended period of time, that station will take a big, BIG hit.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, all of ESPN Cleveland's shows are pretty terrible. All I listen to is 92.3FM. Although, I'm not that big on Andy Baskin and Dustin Fox and their general knowledge and preparedness of sports related stuff, but good thing they're attached to co-hosts that actually have an idea of what's going on, IMO.

Isn't that the same station with Chuck Booms? he's just the worst ever.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'm in the vast minority, but I actually like Goldhammer. He needs to learn restraint, but I like having an outsider's opinion. Its not always the end of world (as it is with Booms), or awesome (as it is with Rizzo). He and Rizzo balance each other very, very well. I think when either one is out, the show slips drastically.

As to the incident, I've flipped from the show for a while. I was on lunch when Fox8 and Scene broke the story, at about 11:45 Monday morning. Out of morbid curiousity, I turned on KNR to see what was being said. Rizzo was talking that he had a personal announcement after the break. He came back from the break and said that something "was going" to break, and he wanted to be forward with his listeners about it. It had already broken, so that annoyed me. Then, in the midst of talking around the issue, he worked in a plug for Russo Rosalina, in helping him deal with the legal issue. I don't care if this is entirely overblown and made up, that crossed a line of common decency. I turned off the station and haven't turned it back on.

WKNR is in DEEP trouble if anything happens with Rizzo though. They paid way too much for Browns rights, and as a consequence, have laid off pretty much all of their back-up on-air personalities. Je'rod Cherry is now on the afternoon show, so they can't add him back to the mornings. Fedor is gone, Burge is gone, Zuppe is gone (all to 92.3, and all very good, young hires). All KNR has left to move around is Munch or Brinda, both tired, old personalities that Cleveland seems to be over. If Rizzo ends up being off-air for any extended period of time, that station will take a big, BIG hit.

Tony moves the dial. He always has. His following is incredible, and even the people that dislike him tune in. Something tells me he has incredible relationships with his sponsors and that will force the station's hand to keep him around. My dad actually works for one of their sponsors.

I like Goldhammer too. The only time he's unlistenable is when he's talking Ohio State and even this year he's calmed down on slamming them every chance he gets. He's taken his shots (he looks like an idiot for slamming Meyer for not sitting Marcus Hall when Hall ended up not playing in the conference championship)

Really Big Show has absolutely no competition either. The national shows are all terrible at that time (Cowherd is the WORST.) and 92.3 offers you Baskin and Phelps, which is the most bland radio show on the planet.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
As was mentioned, I do think Hammer brings another perspective to the show. I often find myself agreeing with him on his takes. What makes him so annoying is the way he was taught to over-enunciate every third or fourth word. It's hard to listen to his content with that ringing in your ears.

On the sponsor side, even though Rizzo is doing a plug every 3 or 4 minutes, he's awesome at it. He really makes you feel like the product he is peddling is "fantastic". LOL. He's really good. When Hammer does a plug, it's so forced and contrived it actually ends up having the opposite effect of what I'm sure the sponsors want. They've been talking about Hammer getting his own show. He better practice this piece.

As for Cowherd, I really disagree. No one ... not even Dan Patrick ... can do what Cowherd does. He carries a nationally syndicated show in a primetime slot ... BY HIMSELF. No help ... not even an intern or a producer or whatever. He IS over the top, but I think he knows it. He often admits to doing what gets ratings. I would say 50% of his opening rants make you think. The other 50% is obvious he is stretching to make a point. But he's smart, interesting, and does it on his own. He's really good at what he does.

I listen to TRBS just for Browns reasons. But if I could only listen to one show at that time slot it would probably be Dan Patrick. That show ... with the Danettes ... is gold.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I just hate that Cowherd uses too many blanket statements, and tailors his arguments, leaving out key points.

He's a very smart guy, but he's not a very smart sports guy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just hate that Cowherd uses too many blanket statements, and tailors his arguments, leaving out key points.

Their job isn't to talk sports, or be rational... it is to stir debate and get people talking - and more importantly, listening. Tuning in. Period.

It's a simple formula used on most every talk show that has at least two personalities - one will take the rational side of a subject, and the other will always be contrarian, even to the point of being absurd. He's not anything except playing into a formula for media success; it's simple as that.

When these shows get you stirred up over something, congrats - they're playing you. When you talk about how dumb they are - remember that you're the one that tunes in and listens long enough to talk about them later.

Browns is the Browns

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Their job isn't to talk sports, or be rational... it is to stir debate and get people talking - and more importantly, listening. Tuning in. Period.

It's a simple formula used on most every talk show that has at least two personalities - one will take the rational side of a subject, and the other will always be contrarian, even to the point of being absurd. He's not anything except playing into a formula for media success; it's simple as that.

When these shows get you stirred up over something, congrats - they're playing you. When you talk about how dumb they are - remember that you're the one that tunes in and listens long enough to talk about them later.

I don't listen to his show though. I tried listening a few times some years ago and it was just terrible...

Although most sports talk is garbage. Ken Carman steers away from the mold. No stupid athlete/coach interviews where you get absolutely nothing. He does very little of that. He brings on beat reporters from other teams which I love. I think that's a great way to get the pulse of the other team (unless of course you're interviewing OUR beat reporters, gah)

He has Scott Raab on every Friday for 15 minutes, I can take or leave him. He's one of those guys that writes hate pieces on owners because they're greedy bastards. Rich people are shady? Who knew!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tony Rizzo Arrested for Domestic Violence

Link Copied to Clipboard