DCDAWGFAN #829242 12/16/13 07:59 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Stop making me laugh DC....Not here.

That's a non-answer... if you say he won't come here because of this lack of talent, then where is he going to go?

I also want us to sign him, but think that's a longshot.

How about the Texans? Good OL, good runners, top WR, up and coming no2 WR, decent TE.
If Cutler doesn't sign with us, then I hope it's the Texans, as this would mean we could get any QB we'd want in the draft via trade up to 1. Cutler or Bridgewater

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Spergon FTWynn #829243 12/17/13 08:34 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'm not against signing him, but if I had to choose between signing Cutler and drafting a guy in the first round, I'm drafting a guy, and I'm not hesitating on the decision one bit.

Maybe I am not being clear. I am not saying we don't draft a QB. If we see a guy who we like and feel he has the tools, draft him. I have no problem with that. The problem I have is most of these guy who are drafted end up nowhere near being a true franchise QB. Too much of a gamble to pin your hopes on that, especially when there is a possibility of gaining a really solid player at QB like Cutler. You bring him in and you let a Johnny manziel or whoever prove they are better than Cutler. Don't make them prove they are better than The QBs we have on the current roster. It shouldn't be very hard to prove they are better than Weeden or Campbell. Hoyer is a question mark.

Sure, it's going to cost money, but so what? We have to spend money anyway to meet CBA agreed minimums and I don't see any real percentage in being below the cap. You manage it. There are ways to front load deals on a player like Cutler who you are not sure if you will even want him 3-4 years down the line. Give him a 1 year no cut deal (meaning the first year of however long a deal you sign him to) and make his 1st year salary 10 million bucks if you have to in order to eliminate dead money some years down the road if you do part ways....oh...I am just throwing numbers around for illustration purposes. I don't know what it will take, but it's not like being way under the cap as we have for the last decade has paid dividends.

In the end, I would rather KNOW I have a QB like Cutler and HOPE the newly drafted guy ends up as projected rather than on the ever increasing plie of ex-franchise QBs.

JMO

Last edited by Ballpeen; 12/17/13 08:40 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
PitDAWG #829244 12/17/13 09:44 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
As of now, Cutler has a much better supporting cast than we can give him.

Yeah I realized that after I read it but submitted it anyways, thought I would throw you a bone...although you are looking at our weapons with Campbell as our QB...Cutler would make them all look better. I think we do have a better OL and I know we have a better defense.

McCown...he did well - played better or put up better stats...sometimes you guys just get drawn in by stats as the end all. So Trestman has to be the biggest idiot as he chose to SIT the better QB in the middle of a playoff run with 3 games left??? He knows exactly who he had. It took a quarter for the rust to wear off Cutler. Its not the completions...it the accuracy how those mid range and short range throws are in perfect spots.

JMHO again we would be luck to get Cutler...he's got about 5-7 prime years left.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #829245 12/17/13 11:11 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
And somehow you forgot to address the fact he has Forte in the running game and has been traded away twice already.

Trestman stated all along that as soon as Cutler was healthy he would be the starter. Some coaches let the play of others unseat a QB with an injury and some don't. Plus the fact Cutler wasn't playing to the level he should lose his job.

They really have lightening in a bottle here. They pulled McCown when he was playing lights out. Now they can get something of value for him.

I really think all the Cutler talk is silly. If the Bears believe he is their QB, he won't be going anywhere. If they don't and he's off to his "fourth team"? That speaks volumes.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #829246 12/17/13 12:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And somehow you forgot to address the fact he has Forte in the running game and has been traded away twice already.

Trestman stated all along that as soon as Cutler was healthy he would be the starter. Some coaches let the play of others unseat a QB with an injury and some don't. Plus the fact Cutler wasn't playing to the level he should lose his job.

They really have lightening in a bottle here. They pulled McCown when he was playing lights out. Now they can get something of value for him.

I really think all the Cutler talk is silly. If the Bears believe he is their QB, he won't be going anywhere. If they don't and he's off to his "fourth team"? That speaks volumes.

Fourth team really? I must have missed one. Drafted by Denver in 2006 with the eleventh pick overall. Then traded to ChiTown in 2009 after the Coach McDaniels / QB Cassel trade talk debacle.

But I agree with most of what you are saying. Except you miss the fact that Cutler was playing hurt once again earlier this year because of poor oline protection.

As perfect as a fit that he would be here, Cutler won't be looking at Cleve in FA and will prob stay with Da Bears regardless. Maybe McCown will get traded here and play lights out for us. I Doubt that also though. Seems Cleveland is where QB's go to die.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
PrplPplEater #829247 12/17/13 12:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cutler is much tougher and far better then anyone we have now, or will have next year. He'd be a great addition here.

I disagree. He may be somewhat better, but I think the bottom-line improvement that we would see would be marginal, at best.

At Best?? LOL, even Tim Tebow would give us marginal improvement

Yeah, now you're not even remotely credible with what you're spewing.

Didn't think purple was required for that one. I was wrong.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
PitDAWG #829248 12/17/13 12:22 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
he won't be going anywhere.

I think the odds are he won't be available. 4th team...bring it on, it would be cause he chose to and the Bears think not to Franchise tag him??? But probably will be the case.

I don't wish to sign him if he is franchised.

As for Forte...I had a brain fart and couldn't remember his name so delete what I was writing and moved on...lol

But all year I'm told how irrelevant RB is now a days...all of a sudden it is relevant? Actually this if the first year that he's getting DECENT pass protection in his entire career. btw...4th team? Denver and Bears...who is the other team? Again mental block on that.

Again...we would be so so lucky to get a QB of the caliber of Cutler. I doubt it...if FA Assuming he has ties there I would think he would want to sign with the Titans...is that his hometown - I know he went to Vandy.

JMHO n ?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
PerfectSpiral #829249 12/17/13 12:26 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I read on PFF that Cutler has the LEAST, YAC in the entire league for guys who qualify.

PerfectSpiral #829250 12/17/13 01:41 PM
Legend
Legend
I don't see Cutler as having had poor protection this year. His OL has looked solid when I have seen him play, and when I have seen McCown play. Their OL had given up only 22 sacks coming into our game against the Bears, and they escaped with only 2 sacks. They also did not get him hit a lot against us.

I think that his OL gets a lot of undue flack. People remember when they allowed 50+ sacks several years ago, but they have been NFL average since. Plus, Cutler tends to hold the ball longer than most QBs. It is much like Roethlisberger ...... he gets his OL blamed for everything back to Pearl Harbor, when Roethlisberger holds the ball so long that he makes his OL look worse. Cutler has done the same to his Bears OL over the years. I remember the 2006 - 1st game of 2007 here in Cleveland, where the Browns OL "sucked". We had Charlie Frye at QB, and he processed things slowly, which caused our OL to look horrible. When DA moved into the starting role, they only allowed some ridiculously low number of sacks the rest of the way. IIRC, it was something like 6 in game 1, and 12 or 13 the rest of the way. The OL looked worse because of the QB's play. When DA came in and started dropping sne getting the ball out when his back foot hit, the OL suddenly looked great.

The QB is a partner along with the OL in his own pass protection.He has to help himself at times.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
YTownBrownsFan #829251 12/17/13 02:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

I don't see Cutler as having had poor protection this year. His OL has looked solid when I have seen him play, and when I have seen McCown play. Their OL had given up only 22 sacks coming into our game against the Bears, and they escaped with only 2 sacks. They also did not get him hit a lot against us.

I think that his OL gets a lot of undue flack. People remember when they allowed 50+ sacks several years ago, but they have been NFL average since. Plus, Cutler tends to hold the ball longer than most QBs. It is much like Roethlisberger ...... he gets his OL blamed for everything back to Pearl Harbor, when Roethlisberger holds the ball so long that he makes his OL look worse. Cutler has done the same to his Bears OL over the years. I remember the 2006 - 1st game of 2007 here in Cleveland, where the Browns OL "sucked". We had Charlie Frye at QB, and he processed things slowly, which caused our OL to look horrible. When DA moved into the starting role, they only allowed some ridiculously low number of sacks the rest of the way. IIRC, it was something like 6 in game 1, and 12 or 13 the rest of the way. The OL looked worse because of the QB's play. When DA came in and started dropping sne getting the ball out when his back foot hit, the OL suddenly looked great.

The QB is a partner along with the OL in his own pass protection.He has to help himself at times.

JUST STOP SAYING THIS!! The previous olines were not "decent" or "average". They were ranked 30th last year, 32nd in 2011, 31st in 2010, can't find 2009, but I'm sure they were in the crapper then too.

2009 - Cutler tied for 7th in most sacked QB
2010 - 1st most sacked
2011 - partial season - averaging roughly 2.3 sacks per game
2012 - 5th most sacked

so 4 years with the Bears and he's in the top 10 QB's sacked in 3 out of 4 years. while Cutler is not blameless, that oline was the main problem. Anyone that actually watched the Bears oline over the years could tell you this. Clay Matthews ripped through J'Marcus Webb like toilet paper on a regular basis.

AGAIN......4 new starters on the line with Trestman and Kromer being in their first year. did that happen b/c of Cutler holding the ball too long?? NO! it happened b/c they STUNK. Frank Omiyale, Orlando Pace, Gabe Carimi, J'Marcus Webb, Edwin Williams, Chilo Rachal....all freaking BUMS! Only Lance Louis was "average", I'll give you that.

you don't like or want Cutler. that's great. I respect that. but to call the Bears' olines average is just a TOTAL REACH.

#829252 12/17/13 03:10 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
A lot of the knowledgeable Bears fans I know tend to agree that it was a mix of both. Horrible OL play, Cutler holding on to the ball too long, and not enough of the previous coaching staff being imaginative and maybe moving Cutler around a bit. He's not RG3, but he's got good legs.

It was a bad mix of everything that led to him getting roughed around a lot.

Cutler would definitely enjoy playing behind our OL, but he also wouldn't have the benefit of a RB who can catch with the best of them, and 2 stud WR's.

Although Gordon and Cameron aren't chopped liver.

I would be perfectly fine with the team throwing money at him, as long as they stuck to their guns and drafted a QB too.

#829253 12/17/13 03:27 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I won't put words in his mouth, but he did say "... having had poor protection THIS year".

Other years, maybe not so much. I don't keep up with Chicago much but I have watched some games of theirs this year. QB had stable protection IMO. When teams bring heat, the QB reads it and audibles to a screen and Forte is just a monster in the screen game.

Not sure who runs the better screen game, Chicago with Forte or the Saints with Sprools/Thomas?

#829254 12/17/13 04:05 PM
Legend
Legend
Well ... I had a whole reply typed out and lost the damned thing.

Anyway ...... here we go again ....

Quote:

2009 - Cutler tied for 7th in most sacked QB

And he threw the 4th most passes. That's a win in my eyes.

Quote:

2010 - 1st most sacked

As I said, awful, awful season.

Quote:

2011 - partial season - averaging roughly 2.3 sacks per game

26th in pass attempts, and tied for 25th in sacks allowed. Kind of average.

Quote:

2012 - 5th most sacked

Yep. Rougher season, mainly because he only threw the ball 434 times.

This year he has been sacked roughly once every 23 pass attempts. That is marvelous pass protection, and has improved in no small part because he has been working on getting the ball out quicker. He also has 2 superstar WRs and a very good TE, to go along with Matt Forte at RB. Man, that's an all start cast, and he's not playing at an all start level.

It does appear that he is getting the ball out quicker this year, and I do recall hearing him say that this was a real point of emphasis by the new coaching staff when they put in their WC offense. . I don't know how he would do in another offense that is more of a down the field passing offense again. That would be a major concern for me.

We saw how Weeden struggled getting the ball out quickly this year. He looked slower this year than last, despite being in an offense that should have suited him better. That is a concern for me regarding Cutler.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

eotab #829255 12/17/13 05:14 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You and Spiral are right. If he moves on it would be his third team. My bad.

And Tab, I believe that you have misunderstood something, or maybe I have.

I've seen people say you don't need to make a huge investment to land a good RB. I haven't seen much of anyone suggest, much less say that having a solid running game to achieve a balanced O isn't important.

But we both know that.

Play action is a wonderful tool if you have enough of a running game to sell it. On third and short, having a running game helps you move the chains to sustain drives. Having a balanced attack helps keep opposing D's on their heels.

And maybe, just maybe, the run blocking is just as important as who is running the ball.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #829256 12/17/13 05:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And maybe, just maybe, the run blocking is just as important as who is running the ball.

That's just crazy talk.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #829257 12/17/13 07:16 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I see both sides to this argument. I understand why some think Cutler would be great here. I understand the argument why he wouldn't.

Cutler is an enigma. If you wanna use stats as the end-all, then heck no.........you don't want him on your team.

If you want a guy who fits this offense perfectly, then you do want him on your team.

I think the thing w/Cutler is this...........while he has not produced great numbers, there is no question that this guy has every tool in the book. If someone can harness that talent, than you are going to end up w/a top tier QB. Very few guys can match his physical abilities. I mean--------very few, as in.........Rodgers and Luck.

There is a reason why he was drafted so high. There is a reason the Bears spent so much for him. There is a reason why Trestman wanted him to start even though McCown was playing great. It's because of his tremendous ability and skills.

On the other hand, it's troubling that that he often comes up short, whether it be from injury, his supporting cast, boneheaded decisions, his personality......the fact is that he comes up short very often.

I understand the argument from both sides. I'm just not sure how either side can be so emphatic when pleading their case.

Versatile Dog #829258 12/17/13 08:00 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand that as well, but at one point you have to make a decision. It boils down to if he would add something or if he wouldn't.

Either way, fine, I just don't want to hear about the money. We are MILLIONS under the cap and suck. I say we try to close that gap and see if maybe that helps. It's like we keep saving it for a rainy day.....I don't know about you, but I'd say it is raining pretty damn hard.

I am not talking about spending for spendings sake, but Cutler is wise dollars spent. At least you are getting something better than average to crap.

Plus, with the CBA and slotted rookie contracts, you have to spend money on vets . I'd rather spend 40 mil on Jay Cutler over rookie Sam Bradford.....or todays Sam Bradford.....another non franchise, franchise QB to lump on the heap..

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #829259 12/17/13 08:03 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
My point wasn't about not signing him. Not at all, Peen.

Not sure where you got that from.

I was making a point for both sides and to establish that Jay Cutler is truly an enigma.

Versatile Dog #829260 12/17/13 08:17 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

My point wasn't about not signing him. Not at all, Peen.

Not sure where you got that from.

I was making a point for both sides and to establish that Jay Cutler is truly an enigma.

Cool....I just get tired of this money talk, like people are talking about their money, and the guy isn't friggen Petyon Manning....well no crap.....but he has come closer to being a franchise player than many of the others.....he is at least pretty damn good. Give him Megatron and he is as good as Stafford IMO. Would people not want Stafford? It's like some people are expecting the next greatest QB ever.

Folks, that probably isn't going to happen. Especially this year. Now I read that Bridgewater isn't a lock to enter, and I don't even think he is all that good. I'd take Hundley over him, and I don't really want to take Hundley.

This is a bad year to be taking early first round QB's.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DjangoBrown #829261 12/17/13 09:14 PM
1st String
1st String
How much would the Browns be willing to shell out for Cutler's services? And also it does not just come down to money. But to also being clutch in the process and a playoff run!

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
Versatile Dog #829262 12/18/13 01:29 AM
Legend
Legend
This year is, arguably, one of Cutler's better years in the NFL. (overall) He is in a WCO type offense, and is getting the ball out quicker than he ever has.

I think that my problem with Cutler, more than anything, is that even now, after what ..... 8 seasons ........ there is still so much unknown about him. He is still, in many ways, a projection. That's why he could be available though.

I dunno. If we sign him, then, obviously, I hope that he is wildly successful. I don't see us signing him if the front office thinks that he's the guy to help turn us into an 8-8 team though. They want a Championship level QB, and if they don't see cutler as that, then I don't think that they are going to take stop gap measures.

YTownBrownsFan #829263 12/18/13 06:28 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Every FO talks a big game, but they know that at some point, they have to show a better record for it, esp in Cleveland and with a new owner that wants what was promised.

If they decide not to pursue him and we have another bad season with a QB caroussel, they won't hear the end of it. Pitchforks will be out and probably rightfully so.

All this elitist talk of Blue Chip and Championship caliber players Sounds nice, Dream big style, but this team can't go from perennial 5 win team to SB contender. There are steps between, necessary one's, to be taken in Order to change the attitude/culture and make our good players start to believe and step up as leaders.

Cutler represents the next step, even if it just means being a WC contender. It'd be a huge step forward. If he becomes available, there's no excuse not to land him

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #829264 12/18/13 07:40 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. To play off of Coach Mora....Championships? Championships? You want to talk Championships!?

How about we simply move the needle in that direction rather than be stuck as laughing stocks?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #829265 12/18/13 09:04 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
No way would I want Stafford .. way to RECKLESS with the ball ... also very very inaccurate at times ... this guys is WAY OVERRATED IN MY BOOK ... as is Cutler ...

both those guys look great cause they have cannons for arms ... but neither of them have EVER BEEN CONSISTENT IN THEIR CAREERS ....

and as great as there arms are ... they have 2 cent heads ... bad decision after bad decision after bad decision ...

Crap guys .... Cutler has been outplayed by a career BUM ... and why .... cause one turns the ball over and the other don't ...

and money has to be a factor ... it has too ... u can't just give away money under the cap when u know its a major mistake .. and that's what Cutler is .. a MAJOR MISTAKE ....

I would much rather see what we have in Hoyer than go out and spend the ludicrous amount of money it would take to get Cutler .. at least Hoyer's an unknown ....... naaaa ... let someone else overspend for Jay to come in and lead there team no where ...

OVERRATED!!!!!

Versatile Dog #829266 12/18/13 09:16 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

j/c:

I see both sides to this argument. I understand why some think Cutler would be great here. I understand the argument why he wouldn't.

Cutler is an enigma. If you wanna use stats as the end-all, then heck no.........you don't want him on your team.

If you want a guy who fits this offense perfectly, then you do want him on your team.

I think the thing w/Cutler is this...........while he has not produced great numbers, there is no question that this guy has every tool in the book. If someone can harness that talent, than you are going to end up w/a top tier QB. Very few guys can match his physical abilities. I mean--------very few, as in.........Rodgers and Luck.

There is a reason why he was drafted so high. There is a reason the Bears spent so much for him. There is a reason why Trestman wanted him to start even though McCown was playing great. It's because of his tremendous ability and skills.

On the other hand, it's troubling that that he often comes up short, whether it be from injury, his supporting cast, boneheaded decisions, his personality......the fact is that he comes up short very often.

I understand the argument from both sides. I'm just not sure how either side can be so emphatic when pleading their case.

CAUSE I'M RIGHT!!!!!!!! ........

DESPITE all the tools u talk about (and u are 100% correct when talking about those tools) ... the guys never been successful .. and this year he has it all on O and was clearly outplayed by a career BUM .... there's a reason for that ...

Add to that the amount of money your going to spend on the guy and u have a recipe for disaster ..

but then again U have always been more risk adverse than me with QB's ... by that I mean U accept the mistakes that come with the big plays that the strong armed risked takers produce where as I'm not so willing to make that trade off ..

naaaa ... before I spend that kind of money on cutler I would much rather see what we have in Hoyer ....

but if Chad and Norv decide to go get him ... U won't hear a peep from me .. cause those guys are pretty gosh darn good with their QB's ..

DiamDawg #829267 12/18/13 09:39 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This "let's see what we have" attitude is a big part of why the Browns have sucked for years. I can't believe even the fans have bought into that at this stage. I was ok with it after the Mangini fiasco of no talent and high age roster that ate up cap money. That needed two offseason's time, but now? We have enough talent to win, just look at our halftime record and scores at the beginning of the 4th, we have a young roster and we have the most cap space around....why still be the "training ground" for "who knows what they have" talent?

We need KNOWN quantities, NOT more unknowns. That's why I criticized the FO for ammassing even more rookies instead of going out and get some vets in here.

What's the problem in getting Cutler and keep Hoyer as the backup? Why do we always have to find out the hard way with no contingency plan? This a pro sports team, not some farm team. If you want a team looking more like a PRO team, how about signing some more professional players to it?

This fanbase needs as much a "tude" change as the players/coaches.

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #829268 12/18/13 10:05 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Every FO talks a big game, but they know that at some point, they have to show a better record for it, esp in Cleveland and with a new owner that wants what was promised.

If they decide not to pursue him and we have another bad season with a QB caroussel, they won't hear the end of it. Pitchforks will be out and probably rightfully so.

And if they pay Cutler big bucks and he comes in here and does the same things he has always done, as in turning the ball over, missing games w/injuries, throwing tantrums on the sidelines, and losing a bunch of games..........then what?

The fans will be out w/pitchforks.

Look at the bright side. You will be leading the charge either way.

DiamDawg #829269 12/18/13 10:11 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
You probably are right. I was just trying to be objective.

Cutler is an enigma and he makes offensive coaches salivate. They all think they are the one who can turn this guy into Aaron Rodgers.

When I first heard he might be available, I was thinking how perfectly he would fit Norv's offense. His skill set amazes me. However, the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards us not going after him.

We would have to pay him a hefty salary. We would become married to him, kinda like Washington is to RGIII right now. We wouldn't get to see Hoyer develop. We probably would not draft a qb. All of those things could prove to be devastating if Cutler doesn't play lights out.

DiamDawg #829270 12/18/13 10:38 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

the guys never been successful .. and this year he has it all on O and was clearly outplayed by a career BUM .... there's a reason for that ...

I think Vers is right that Cutler is an enigma... while everybody says he was clearly outplayed, he is 5-4, McCown is 3-2 as starters... no difference.

Maybe McCown is an enigma too.. he's in his 11th year and every year in which he has thrown more than 170 passes he has had double digit INTs.. this year in 220 attempts he has 1.... I think it is more a case of McCown being in some kind of temporary zone similar to what Matt Flynn did a few years ago in one game..

Cutler will be 31 going into camp next year (oddly enough he's 5 months younger than Weeden) so if he's the guy, he could easily be the guy for 5 or 6 years....

If we started next season with Cutler/Hoyer/3rd round pick, I would not be terribly upset because I think it makes us immediately better... I just want to find the long term solution.

yebat' Putin
Versatile Dog #829271 12/18/13 11:14 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

And if they pay Cutler big bucks and he comes in here and does the same things he has always done, as in turning the ball over, missing games w/injuries, throwing tantrums on the sidelines, and losing a bunch of games..........then what?

Then we still have Saint Hoyer...

What if the FO does another round of sitting on their hands and we go in with Hoyer and Campbell and Hoyer turns out to be a UDFA journeyman he was before those "magic" two, incredibly overrated games?

Then what? The 3rd/4th round rookie hope again? Good luck with that

The question becomes: proven enigma Cutler and a 10-15mil cap hit or unproven who knows what Hoyer, whom you'd have to pay/committ to too if he's the one, as 2014 is a contract season

I can't believe anyone would want to rather "see what we got" with Hoyer than taken a proven above AVG NFL QB. Insane.

#gmstrong

Versatile Dog #829272 12/18/13 11:39 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Jay Cutler has only been under .500 as a starting QB once in the last 6 years (7-9 in 2009).. so I wouldn't say he's "losing a bunch of games".. He might be costing his team a game here or there but in that 6 year stretch he was 47-34... the Browns were 27-67...

As for being injured, he missed 6 games in 2011 and he missed 5 games this year... every other year he has started either 15 or 16 games...

For me it really does come down to price. I think we are immediately better with Jay Cutler than just about any other available option (that's considering that Hoyer is still a huge unknown).. if he wants top 5 money, no way. If he wants top 10 money, I'm listening, if he wants upper half money, sign him.

yebat' Putin
DjangoBrown #829273 12/18/13 12:08 PM
Legend
Legend
We would have to give Cutler a massive contract. The financial side of the equation definitely, and always, factors into things. If we have to give Cutler a 5 year deal worth $60 or $70 million, with $30 - $40 in guarantees, then is he a good deal .... especially if he is a stopgap, rather than a franchise guy?

What if we sign him and get what he has given the Bears, or worse? We would then be stuck with him for at least half of his contract, whether or not he was the right guy to lead this team or not. That contract then could become an anchor weighing the team down, much like 1st overall pick rookie QB contracts used to do. Our financial flexibility would be gone, and we might them be unable to sign other players who could help the team more than a middle of the pack starting QB who has accomplished very little in his career.

We are going to have to start making decisions about players like Haden, Mack, Ward, Taylor, Sheard, Cameron, and Skrine. Yes we have cap space, but that doesn't mean that we can just throw it away on a so-so QB. If we want to make top dollar upgrades, we better make sure that the player in question is worth it. I do not believe that Cutler is worth it.

DCDAWGFAN #829274 12/18/13 12:31 PM
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
I think he definitely gets top10 money just from the standpoint that he will have the last deal signed. Tends to always get an inflated status that way.

#gmstrong
YTownBrownsFan #829275 12/18/13 12:37 PM
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

If we have to give Cutler a 5 year deal worth $60 or $70 million, with $30 - $40 in guarantees, then is he a good deal .... especially if he is a stopgap, rather than a franchise guy?

that would be a good deal for Cutler.

most recent QB deals:
Flacco 6yr/$120mil - $52mil guaranteed
Brees 5yr/$100mil - $60.5mil guaranteed
Ryan 6yr/$113mil - $59mil guaranteed
Romo 6yr/$108mil - $55mil guaranteed

Now, Cutler likely won't get the same money, but he likely will get a cut below those numbers.

But, just wanted to level-set where the market has been because Cutler is likely looking at more like a 5yr deal for $80mil w/ $30mil guaranteed.

#gmstrong
no_logo_required #829276 12/18/13 12:51 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Cutler wouldn't be worth that kind of money.

I don't get the impression that this regime would throw that kind of money at a good-but-not great QB. Banner has always been very smart with the money. That contract would be anything but "smart."

In the end the Bears are going to work something out, one way or another. They can't really afford to let him go because there's no obvious replacement. Even if someone were to say that McCown has played well enough for a shot, the dude will be 35 before the season starts.

So what about the draft? They won't be picking anywhere near where they can land a blue-chip guy (as if there were more than one blue-chip guy in this draft).

If Cutler isn't signed he's tagged. The Bears can't go any other way, but if they have an insane moment and lack of judgement, we'd be fools to throw that kind of money at a turnover machine of a QB with a history of mental issues.

Cutler only makes sense if the money is right, but there's no set of factors which can come together here where the money makes sense.

People, we're better served spending our thoughts on QB's in the draft or off some other teams bench. Cutler isn't happening here. It doesn't add up.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
YTownBrownsFan #829277 12/18/13 01:02 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What if we sign him and get what he has given the Bears,

A 39-26 record in games he started? Yea, that would suck.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #829278 12/18/13 01:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What if we sign him and get what he has given the Bears,

A 39-26 record in games he started? Yea, that would suck.

Yeah but ......

We don't have a defense and special teams scoring 10 TD one year, and 8 another .......

For all of the complaints about the team around Cutler that some have, he has been blessed with a marvelous defense (and one that routinely scores TDs) and a great run game. Those 2 things alone will generally get a team to .500 or above.

OverToad #829279 12/18/13 01:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Cutler isn't signed he's tagged. The Bears can't go any other way, but if they have an insane moment and lack of judgement, we'd be fools to throw that kind of money at a turnover machine of a QB with a history of mental issues.

First, let me point out the contradiction in this statement. You are saying the Bears have nothing at QB if they let Cutler go, and letting him walk would be "an insane moment" and that they would as a last resort pay him the average of the top-5 QB contracts in the NFL to keep him. You then immediately say they we would "be fools" to throw that kind of money at him. If you will allow that "having nothing" at QB is roughly equivalent to what we have at QB, then you are talking out of both sides of your mouth here.

Previously The Bears GM had indicated that the Franchise Tage wasn't a workable situation for them, but seems to be backing off of that a little. Still seems like he's not interested in Franchising Cutler.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ble-for-cutler/

Emery says franchise tag isn’t off the table for Cutler

Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
Cutler
AP
Earlier this month, Bears G.M. Phil Emery discussed the challenges associated with using the franchise tag on quarterback Jay Cutler. Many interpreted Emery’s comments as reflecting a decision to not use the tag on Cutler.

On Monday night, Emery made it clear that the tag isn’t off the table.

“I would say ‘disregard completely’ is an oversimplification of what the franchise tag is in relation to contracts and caps and player contracts overall,” Emery said in an appearance on WSCR radio in Chicago. “What I had said before was that just make sure when you look at the franchise tag [you know] what that means from a quarterback’s contract perspective and the amount of room and space that it eats up. It’s not necessarily a solution. It’s not the first thing we would think about. The first think we’d think about if we wanted to sign a player is a long-term contract. That fits better in our cap situation.”

The bigger problem is that the franchise tag provides the starting point for a long-term deal. With the ability to make $16 million guaranteed in 2014, why would Cutler wants anything less than $30 million guaranteed in the first two years, or less than $50 million guaranteed in the first three?

Not using the tag gives Cutler the ability to let the market set his value. And it gives Cutler the ability to take less money from another team (like the Vikings) if he wants to stick it to the Bears.

That’s the real risk for the Bears. If they don’t use the tag and try to let the market set his value, Cutler could choose to ultimately take less than the Bears have offered because they refused to make an offer driven by the franchise tag.

clevesteve #829280 12/18/13 01:32 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
He can go to any team and get paid any xyz amount, as long as it isn't the Browns.

Ankle, head, thumb, knee, neck, groin, ribs are all things that he's been pegged with in terms of injury - he's a paper cup or piece of fragile glass. I forget what year it was (2011 I think?) but it was all I could read was how Bear's fans and etc heavily questioned his toughness and so forth.

Not going to buy a Ferrari just to make the payments on it and keep it parked in the garage.

clevesteve #829281 12/18/13 01:43 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

First, let me point out the contradiction in this statement. You are saying the Bears have nothing at QB if they let Cutler go, and letting him walk would be "an insane moment" and that they would as a last resort pay him the average of the top-5 QB contracts in the NFL to keep him. You then immediately say they we would "be fools" to throw that kind of money at him. If you will allow that "having nothing" at QB is roughly equivalent to what we have at QB, then you are talking out of both sides of your mouth here.

There's no contradiction as the two situations are very different.

We are a rebuilding team without an obvious QB to build around and we aren't going anywhere with the overall talent level of this team.

The Bears are a playoff team who are built for the here-and-now and can't afford at this point in time to start over with a young QB who may not be ready to win for a few seasons.

These are two very different teams with two very different sets of circumstances. The ownership would get absolutely killed if they replaced Cutler with an unproven kid.

Basically, they are in a no-win situation with Cutler. Either overpay him and hope he gets better at age 31 or don't and take the huge PR hit while subsequently hoping they can catch lightning in a bottle with a draftee.

As for the Browns, the equation of throwing franchise money at a non-franchise, 31-year old QB when we're clearly a rebuilding team doesn't jive.

To change the example which makes it clear...If a team like the Bears let's Cutler go in favor of an unproven rookie they look far different than if they are a team which is tearing things down with a new regime and rebuilding.

The Bears don't have a choice on Cutler. That's why you see the owner back-tracking. He and his people know it.

Look, I'm going to lay this out further because I don't think most everyone is thinking this through.

If the Bears TRULY believed Cutler was their guy none of these conversations would be happening. However, he's good enough that several teams would want in on him, especially teams which consider themselves to be playoff caliber teams, such as the Texans.

So what do the Bears do?

As I've expressed, the odds are great that he stays, no matter the circumstances. They think they are a playoff team right now and aren't willing to go backwards for a couple of seasons while bringing on a hopeful, young QB. The PR hit and pressure of failure with such a gamble would be HUGE, and I don't care how much they profess their belief in Trestman because of what McCown has done, no GM believes in his guy so much that they'd be willing to tear it down at the QB position just on faith. They aren't idiots.

But for the sake of argument, let's say the Bears are willing to move on from him. They know he's a commodity, and they have several ways to protect themselves so they would get something back.

If they apply the non-exclusive Tag to him, Cutler can negotiate with other teams up until the moment he signs the contract. Should he sign a deal the new team would still have to pay Cutler the money AND give the compensation to the Bears. That is a STEEP price to pay for a guy of Jay's caliber. There's no way he's worth that much.

Now what if he signs the tag? The Bears can still negotiate with other teams should they elect to trade him. If Alex Smith fetched a 2nd and possibly a future 2nd, Cutler will cost a 1st and probably more. That would be the only way the Bears could save face in moving him, which is to say they landed a huge trove of draft picks, but again, that doesn't solve their QB issue in the here-and-now.

Forget what has been written by the mouths and use common sense. The Bears won't just let Cutler test the waters when they can restrict his movement and get at least a 1st rounder and probably more draft picks for him. They will tag him if they can't get a contract worked out, and if that happens, the cost of Cutler becomes elite QB money AND a 1st round pick AND another high pick or player.

For Jay Cutler.

We're not talking about Brees here. We're not talking about a guy who is a top-10 QB. We're talking about a 31-year old gifted arm who turns the ball over, has an injury history, and has been unliked bye the two cities he's been employed in.

Don't forget it cost the Bears TWO 1st round picks for him, and he hasn't given them back what they gave for him. Letting him walk away scott-free also becomes a pride thing.

There's a love affair developing here with Cutler because of his arm and because of our desperation. If emotion is taken out of it and logic applied, it's hard to imagine the Bears walking away from him and us breaking the proverbial bank to get the guy.

The very last thing which is going to happen is that the Bears let him walk away to test the market.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 31 Bears 38 Cutler

Link Copied to Clipboard