Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

jc.

just throwing this out there guys. thats the same judge that sentenced the 14 year old kid to 10 years in juvenile jail when he punched a guy. he fell and hit his head and died.

i'm not going to bring race into this because the kid was black, but his family DIDN'T have money, and now he's sitting in jail, while this kid just killed 4 people while driving drunk underage, gets 10 years.

also remember he stole beer.

also remember earlier he was caught in the truck with a passed out naked 14 year old girl in his truck. no punishment.

Man 10 years for punching a kid is ridiculous. Sounds like the judge might be biased after all. That pisses me off a lot more than this case. I hate anyone being sent to jail when they aren't clearly violent criminals. Prisons are rape factories that seriously destroy the lives of most people who enter them. They need to be fixed drastically before I consider it just or moral to put anyone besides the most hardened and violent criminals in them. (and frankly that is because I'm torn on just executing those guys)

Stealing beer = not a huge deal to me. Having a passed out 14 year old girl...he's only 16 right now that isn't a crime besides the underage drinking.

The affluenza defense is ridiculous and I think that is what makes this a news story. I don't think the sentencing is nearly as unusual as the defense. And it is written (or just is that way) to inflame people.

I'm not a fan of the prison system as I don't think it does anything to correct problems. If you were really into punishment I would recommend punishing the bejesus out of every single person caught drunk driving. Not just the people who's accidents cause fatalities. That boils down to luck.

And if the kid hadn't been drunk but caused the same accident we'd all likely feel pretty different about the situation. Especially if he wasn't rich and had some lawyer cooking up "he's too rich to know better" defenses.

Last edited by Kingcob; 12/14/13 11:47 AM.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
That definition is different from how it was used in this case. Affluenza as a result of consumerism is different from not understanding consequences for immoral behavior.

Anyway, did the judge actually make her decision based on the Affluenza defense? Just because it was brought up in the trial doesn't mean it was the reason for the judgment. The way some of you are talking about it makes it seem like this was the argument that determined the outcome. Is that how it actually happened?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That definition is different from how it was used in this case. Affluenza as a result of consumerism is different from not understanding consequences for immoral behavior.

Anyway, did the judge actually make her decision based on the Affluenza defense? Just because it was brought up in the trial doesn't mean it was the reason for the judgment. The way some of you are talking about it makes it seem like this was the argument that determined the outcome. Is that how it actually happened?

Yeah I caught the difference. And yeah, I was under the impression that the Judge made the decsion, at least in part based on this defense.

For what it's worth, I don't see it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It was a female judge that's retiring next year. I still can't grasp the rationale for her decision.

How hard is a quarter to a half million dollars to grasp

Was that the fine? I didn't see that in the article.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The bottom line is that "affluenza" is a made up term. It is not recognized as a clinical condition.

It should have been challenged by the prosecutor, and would have crumbled upon simple questioning...

It is easy to cure, it just takes all of your money to do it.

I agree it is easy to cure…..throw the brat in jail, he'll learn quickly what happens when you face real problems. Definitely won't be "shielded" anymore. Will also learn what the consequences of his actions are too.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Now this is BS, this kid has "Affluenza" a made up diesease because he feels money can protect him? give me a break!

Right? Hell, I have "poorluenza" a disease that makes me feel that my lack of money should make the law give me a freaking break!

On a serious note, I couldn't even believe I was reading that in the article. And even harder to believe that a judge could have such an opinion. Probation is no punishment at all. All it means is that the kid has to keep his nose clean, the same as the rest of us have to do everyday.

#gmstrong
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
Wow I thought this had to be a spam report when I first saw it..I dont know what to say. I know I'd be suing the living heck out of them for wrongful death to a point that maybe they wouldn't be so rich anymore after I was done..

Then I'd pay to rehab someone at that same facility.With some very specific but not deadly, sub instructions.

What a load of B.S. !

"Behold! The only thing greater than yourself!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Drunk-driving teen who killed 4 too rich for jail, critics argue

Link Copied to Clipboard