Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i'm not trying to put anybody on blast here, i truly value a lot of you guy's opinion because y'all simply no football a lot better than i do.

but...what happened? i remember the thread that a lot of posters, and i was agreeing, were saying that we were suppose to get at least 2-3 more wins just off the upgraded coaching alone.

right now, we are sitting WORSE than we did last year. we won 5 games last year, and while thats not saying much, we have actually REGRESSED this year in the W-L column.

i know some of you guys are going to poster "but we improved" in so and so spots, but we DIDN'T improve in the only column that matters; the W-L.

our rushing attack has regressed.
while the OL is still good a pass blocking, the pass blocking has still regressed.
the ol has gotten more penalties this year than last.

i don't remember us ever being this bad on 3rd down's or the redzone on defense.
our defense has also lost us what? 3-4 games now back to back?
our QB hasn't improved at all.

and lately it seems like these guys just aren't ready to play.

i just want some of you guys thoughts on this: coaching. they were suppose to be better. the actual field of play says otherwise.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Legend
Legend
R
The team plays with no heart, competitive fire, or sense of urgency at the most important times of the game. Players mimic their coach. We are stuck with Chud ...good, bad, or indifferent ...for now. Let's hope he figures it out. He looks like a country bumpkin on the sideline who demonstrates no feel for the game at all.

We go for it alot on 4th. That's really cool.

We give up a ton of fourth quarter leads. That's not too cool.

Kelly, Trestman, and Arians are light years ahead of Chud and we probably could have had 2 of those 3 if we wanted. I know we tried hard for Kelly. He didn't want to be Banner's yes man. That's ashame. He has demonstrated that if you're smart and a leader you can graduate to this level from college.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I didn't get to watch the whole game, but I'm a bit concerned by it.

However, we should currently have one more win (against the Patriots) that the zebras gave to them and we still do have two games left against the Jets and Putzburgh. Nobody really knows what will happen.

At this point, they may actually be trying to lose for draft position, but I cannot believe that. We have the picks that we have and we should be able to find quality players no matter where in the rounds that we are drafting.

Considering the constant injuries at the QB position (particularly Hoyer's season ender), I actually think it's remarkable. Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden? Come on. Of course, this front office kept Weeden in as the starter to begin the season because they had to see what they had with their own eyes, not just what is "shown on tape". I fully expect that Weeden will be gone and that Campbell will also be gone. If they keep one, it will be Campbell, only because they brought him.

The question is: What have they seen from the players that we have and what will they do during the off-season to improve the team?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
coaching is fine... the players need to learn faster and we need upgrades at"

QB
RB
G
WR 2 and 3
depth

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think it has to do with starting our third string QB for over half the season.

Legend
Legend
It's pretty obvious I think --- Shurmur is a better coach.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Coaching? What coaching?

I see an offensive coordinator that continues to call pass plays outta the shotgun or 3rd and 1 situations. Huge success with wildcat, then he'll just ignore it. He's so blind to see what is working, or just refuses to use what is working. I don't know what his deal is but i'm sick of it already.

I see a defensive coordinator that continues to let offenses use the middle of the field in all various manners to gash our defense. Game after game, we play so soft that small out routes, curl routes and etc are resulting in huge chunk plays for offenses.

Chud day in and day out "we're focused... we're ready... we're already looking ahead to next game" - all I hear is the same blah blah blah crap...

Don't know if I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but stuff is just crappy anymore.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

coaching is fine... the players need to learn faster and we need upgrades at"

QB
RB
G
WR 2 and 3
depth

We need to upgrade the 4th quarter.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i mean its just crazy guys.

our OL has digressed from last year, thats not even an opinion thats a fact, we have allowed more sacks this year AND are losing the battle at the LOS on run blocking more.

while some of it may be due to talent issues, there's no way its simply because of that. is it scheme? what?

our pass rush is starting to . me off. i mean, the tip of it was when we got big ben.....zero sacks. ben is good for getting sacked 5 times a game agsinst every body else....us? nah, zip.

we aren't applying any pressure. is that the coaching scheme? is horton dialing back the blitz? 3rd down, thats a combination of talent, but a bigger problem IS the coaching. we were NEVER that bad on 3rd down or in the red zone last year. and we have pretty much the same players.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Legend
Legend
S
It didn't seem like we were sending extra pressure much yesterday. There are a few times I can remember. We only sacked Cutler what, once? He beat the blitz many times. He was 11/12 on 3rd down and that's a huge blitzing downs so....

I think more than anything, Mingo needs another year to get better, we miss Bryant, and I think Kruger is a nice player, but you're going to get results out of him when he's surrounded by better players. He's not a one man wrecking crew and we knew that when we signed him. He was playing well when Bryant was in there causing havoc.

I don't know why we don't use Skrine more for CB blitzes (isn't that a staple of the LeBeau defense?) He's small and fast and can missle in. Is that just something they want to maybe develop next year?

I said it yesterday, the lack of pressure really kills us on third downs. It seems to have gotten worse since that Detroit game. Something happened right around that time with this defense... I don't know if Detroit exposed something , or maybe they went away from their schemes? Not sure, but for me that's the moment that the defense took a step back.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

It didn't seem like we were sending extra pressure much yesterday. There are a few times I can remember. We only sacked Cutler what, once? He beat the blitz many times. He was 11/12 on 3rd down and that's a huge blitzing downs so....

I think more than anything, Mingo needs another year to get better, we miss Bryant, and I think Kruger is a nice player, but you're going to get results out of him when he's surrounded by better players. He's not a one man wrecking crew and we knew that when we signed him. He was playing well when Bryant was in there causing havoc.

I don't know why we don't use Skrine more for CB blitzes (isn't that a staple of the LeBeau defense?) He's small and fast and can missle in. Is that just something they want to maybe develop next year?

I said it yesterday, the lack of pressure really kills us on third downs. It seems to have gotten worse since that Detroit game. Something happened right around that time with this defense... I don't know if Detroit exposed something , or maybe they went away from their schemes? Not sure, but for me that's the moment that the defense took a step back.

imo, detroit exposed what some on here failed to admit: our LB's other than DQ simply can't not cover.

some will try to say that thats the safeties job, when its not. the lb's job is to cover RB's and TE's across the middle within 7 yards. our LB's are slow. our OLB's do a horrible job covering flats, thats kruger, sheard, mingo, whoever.

robertson is slow, and has been targeted numerous times.

which is fine, our front 7 is built to pass rush.

but its a coaching problem not trying to fix it, or for instance, now we are dropping more in coverage right? well, that goes against the very thing our defense was built on; rushing the passer, and dropping more in coverage doesn't change the fact that our LB core is still slow side line to side line. mingo has potential, but he still a work in proges.

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
the ol has gotten more penalties this year than last.

I'm not a stat finding type of guy let alone OL penalties...but when I read this I had to hesitate. Cause all I got is my vague memory and I would think that we are way down from OL penalties from last season not up??? Maybe not Waaayyyy down but down. lol

JMHMemory.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I don't think the coaching is bad. I haven't agreed w/everything, but they have been doing a pretty good job overall.

Things I don't like:

--I think we need to bring more pressure on defense. Rushing 4 isn't getting it done.

--I would like to see us run more on offense.

With that out of the way, I think we might have a very serious issue on this team. In my eyes, this team is better than they were last year, but it isn't translating to wins. I am beginning to think that we have too many malcontents and losers on this team. We lack high character guys. I am not talking about moral character, I am talking about guys who are football character. Mental toughness, intestinal fortitude, dedication, responsibility for their own actions, do whatever it takes, etc.

Joe Haden made me sick yesterday. He didn't want to be out there. He was so, so cold. I bet he's out of here next year. I think we have too many guys like this.

They said it was an evaluation year. I think the players should do less complaining and more playing. It might be unpopular, but I would cut ties w/the prima donnas and build a team that buys into what you are doing. Guys complaining about the play calling need to be sent packing, because no one---other than Joe T and DQ---are giving all they got.

I'm real upset about something I read earlier. I mean.............Really!?!? These bums are complaining....after the way they are performing. I got news for you losers..........take care of your own business first before you start throwing freaking stones!!!!

It might be time to blow up this roster. You don't win w/losers---no matter how talented they are.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

j/c:

I don't think the coaching is bad. I haven't agreed w/everything, but they have been doing a pretty good job overall.

Things I don't like:

--I think we need to bring more pressure on defense. Rushing 4 isn't getting it done.

--I would like to see us run more on offense.

With that out of the way, I think we might have a very serious issue on this team. In my eyes, this team is better than they were last year, but it isn't translating to wins. I am beginning to think that we have too many malcontents and losers on this team. We lack high character guys. I am not talking about moral character, I am talking about guys who are football character. Mental toughness, intestinal fortitude, dedication, responsibility for their own actions, do whatever it takes, etc.

Joe Haden made me sick yesterday. He didn't want to be out there. He was so, so cold. I bet he's out of here next year. I think we have too many guys like this.

They said it was an evaluation year. I think the players should do less complaining and more playing. It might be unpopular, but I would cut ties w/the prima donnas and build a team that buys into what you are doing. Guys complaining about the play calling need to be sent packing, because no one---other than Joe T and DQ---are giving all they got.

I'm real upset about something I read earlier. I mean.............Really!?!? These bums are complaining....after the way they are performing. I got news for you losers..........take care of your own business first before you start throwing freaking stones!!!!

It might be time to blow up this roster. You don't win w/losers---no matter how talented they are.

i'm going to have to agree with you Vers. we need football guys, that are willing to compete for a full 60 minutes.

while i don't agree with letting haden go, i think the whole team in general came out with zero energy yesterday.

we can debate why and how and who, but really, the last few games, the way we come out has been questionable. it seems like our team isn't prepared. and i keep looking back at that cincy game. they didn't beat us because of talent, they beat us because we couldn't get our act together.

it just seems like after the patriots game, the coaches and players came out with zero energy Vers. and imo, that means we need to fix that across the board. i'm not saying fire coaches or nothing of that sort, i'm just saying....

we need a franchise QB

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't mean to say to let Haden go. I meant that his own body language and facial expressions, and maybe even that injury told me that he probably won't want to resign w/us.

And if he doesn't, that is fine w/me. He played like a loser yesterday. Here is a guy who is supposedly a top 3 corner and it looked like he didn't even want to play.

Did you see him sitting by Gipson? Gipson doesn't even have a warm-up on. Haden is shivering in a warm-up and full ski mask. His face looked miserable. Look, we've all been cold before............but during a game? Really?

I know I'll get blasted for that, but man, I didn't like what I saw.

Also, the thing I read earlier................maybe it isn't true. I hope to God it isn't, but if it is..............I would cut those freaking malcontents in a NY minute.

I don't think the coaching was to blame yesterday. It was pretty freaking obvious that Chicago's players wanted the W way more than our prima donnas did.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
So how is it his fault that he's cold in a game? Granted he grew up in Maryland, I don't think it's his fault that his body is cold.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

this team is better than they were last year, but it isn't translating to wins.

Quote:

If you have less wins....and losers... then how the hell can this team be better than last years ? Really......

Your so use to losing...that you can say what ever you want... to make it okay....You really don't have a clue....

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

You really don't have a clue....

Thanks.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
When you look at the obvious patterns of HOW we lose every sunday, then any other conclusion that doesn't trace it back to coaching/sceme/adjustments looks like a conspiracy theory or grandpa's psychology.

I beat the drum like a maniac this offseason that we still needed an ILB, a no2 CB and a FS and every week we lose because we suck at those spots, no matter how many points our O puts up. To make it worse, our supposed strength, the pass rush, has disappeared too. That's the downside of when you put your entire offseason into one basket. Considering our halftime and 4th Qtr leads this season, those were exactly the situations we were looking for, to close off games with our pass rush.

That plan has failed....miserably.

other coaching blunders:

- amateurish use of TOs in the 4th, contributed to two losses
- typical Norv-isms: leaving the running game in the second half and expose your QB to hits schematically (Lack of protection, deep drop backs)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I beat the drum like a maniac this offseason that we still needed an ILB, a no2 CB and a FS and every week we lose because we suck at those spots, no matter how many points our O puts up.

Care to provide any proof of that bizarre statement?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
there are always gonna be a couple plays here and there we dont agree with, that isnt bad coaching that just difference of opinion. We have competed in every game and this team has a roster that can hang with anyone but we dont have the QB that pushes us over the top. We need that spark from an offensive leader that is the difference in wins and losses.

Look a great coach puts you in position to win. I think Chud has put us in position to win most games, we just need that difference maker.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I beat the drum like a maniac this offseason that we still needed an ILB, a no2 CB and a FS and every week we lose because we suck at those spots, no matter how many points our O puts up.

Care to provide any proof of that bizarre statement?

My proof is having watched 14 games of this team and there has been no improvement from game 1, only the OL has picked up their game. The Rest? Stagnating or even regressing.

FS? Just re-watch the crucial hail Mary TD to Jeffery. We have the guy double covered on a floater. Result? TD. That game was Gipson in a nutshell. Opportunistic, not to lose FS when others make a play into his lap, but when he has to attack the ball, he flat sucks

No2 CB? If you add up the stats of no2 WR against us at seasons end, you'd probably end up statistcally with a top 10 WR with 10+ TDs....we're talking Durham, Hartline, Boykin, E.Sanders, M.Brown, Edelman, Jeffery etc

ILB? Do the same by adding up receiving stats by RBs

D-efficiency overall? Just look at ppg, 3rd down and RZ stats

Yeah, bizarre

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thanks.

LOL....I guess the " not having a clue " was a little exaggerated ... Frustration you .know.

If we win the next 2... then I will agree we were better... by 1 game...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

there are always gonna be a couple plays here and there we dont agree with, that isnt bad coaching that just difference of opinion. We have competed in every game and this team has a roster that can hang with anyone but we dont have the QB that pushes us over the top. We need that spark from an offensive leader that is the difference in wins and losses.

Look a great coach puts you in position to win. I think Chud has put us in position to win most games, we just need that difference maker.

This is what I don't understand. We competed under Shurmur. That wasn't good enough. But for Chud it is.

Chud has been a failure this year. A bad one. Its ok to admit it. It is what it is.

No one is interested in starting over. Let's hope he gets better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's all the fault of the coaches, the players have nothing to do with it....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Of course the players have something to do with it.

I would say the players ... most of them ... as well as the coaches ... get poor grades.

Unless you think 4-12 is a good record.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I've seen resiliency from this team. The problem is that it's just not turning into wins. I don't think it's the coach's problem either.

There's only been like 3 games they basically looked outclassed. Unfortunately those games were relatively important.

Honestly they're like one or two superstars from being a good team.

Most of the games have been played right down to the wire. You can only take so many games like that until you start thinking about leaving for home. It's just human nature.

Hopefully they find a QB they're comfortable with.

Legend
Legend
I think that this season shows the level of talent this team has at vital positions, and the work that still needs to be done.

My biggest disappointment would be in the pass rush, 3rd downs on defense, and the red zone defense. The reason they are my biggest disappointments is because we spent the bulk of our money and draft picks on defense. We have had, what .... 4 sacks in the past 3 or 4 games? Ugh.

I expected some struggles on offense, but frankly I thought that we would be better. However, once Richardson and Weeden failed, and Hoyer got hurt, we had little hope there.

I do think that this year on offense was to see what we have, and to try and establish certain players. We have done that, establishing Gordon and Cameron as top players.However, even these key players have been inconsistent.

I think that is the theme this year ..... rotating players and inconsistency. I do think that we will be improved next year as we change out pieces, and upgrade key positions.

We have talent, but the lack of key players at key positions has really hurt us. Hopefully we upgrade those key positions next year and jumpstart the growth and improvement process.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This is what I don't understand. We competed under Shurmur. That wasn't good enough.

On paper, we're better than last year (as would normally be expected adding a draft and FA). We seem more "professional", we move the ball better, BUT, it's not (as Vers stated) translating into wins. Our record is the same as the last two years for which the previous coaching staff got ripped. We should be better...I don't understand why we're not.

Last edited by bbrowns32; 12/17/13 07:41 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I've seen resiliency from this team. The problem is that it's just not turning into wins. I don't think it's the coach's problem either.

There's only been like 3 games they basically looked outclassed. Unfortunately those games were relatively important.

Honestly they're like one or two superstars from being a good team.

Most of the games have been played right down to the wire. You can only take so many games like that until you start thinking about leaving for home. It's just human nature.

Hopefully they find a QB they're comfortable with.

I think you are right.

My take on this team is that they can't handle success. Maybe success isn't the right word. They can't finish, they can't seal the deal.

We've had leads in a lot of games. We have shown that we are capable of playing with the other teams, just not for a whole game. We had a huge lead early on Cincy and couldn't keep it together. We have had late leads on Jax, NE and Chicago and couldn't end it. Sure the officials played a big part in putting the Pats into a position to pull it off, but we had chances to put that game away as well.

Looking at it on a smaller scale ... the announcers during the Bears game first pointed out how we have a top 10 defense. Both against the rush and against the pass were top 10 in the league, as was the overall defense (7th maybe?). But we are dead last if you only look at 3rd down. That must mean we do a fantastic job on 1st and 2nd down. The eye-test tells me the same thing when I watch them play ... we have no problems forcing teams into 3rd and long, we just can't stop them on 3rd down consistently.

I don't know if this comes with experience, or on the field leadership or coaching. But that is our next step, finishing. We can get to the door, now we need to be able to go through it.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldnt have fired Shurmur and his staff either. Everyone wants the quick fix, but the only quick fix in football is finding your QB and we havent. This year was alot of evaluation and installation of new systems. I am disappointed in the record, but I am not disappointed in the coaching nor the effort of players.

I have enjoyed this season and look forward to building upon it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I wouldnt have fired Shurmur and his staff either. Everyone wants the quick fix, but the only quick fix in football is finding your QB and we havent. This year was alot of evaluation and installation of new systems. I am disappointed in the record, but I am not disappointed in the coaching nor the effort of players.

I have enjoyed this season and look forward to building upon it.

This is just about how I feel at this point....not being disappointed in the coaching nor the players. There are some issues/players that are concerning but I'm not gonna go crazy at this point.

When you have a bad quarterback situation with zero running game, it makes it difficult to move the ball. When you have a complicated defensive system w/ little support from the ILBs, your gonna do bad in areas like third and short or red zone plays. Hell, TJ Ward has been playing ILB the last few games.

Continuity is important and adding talent at a few more positions is key.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
You said our FS, #2 CB, and ILBer were losing us games every week no matter how many pts. our offense scores.

This past post did nothing to prove that theory.

Gipson has played fairly well. He was actually in great position on that pass to Jeffrey. He mistimed his jump. It happens sometimes. I am not excusing it because it goes down on him, but he was in the right spot. Would you prefer Usama Young, the guy Heckert loved? You were pimping Huff during the off-season. How did that turn out?

I would be interested in you providing the stats on the #2 cb. I haven't seen that at all. Oh, and for the record.........Haden covered Jeffrey for part of the game.

Look, your game is evident. You hate these new guys because you loved the previous regime. I do thank you for posting my comments about you in your sig. It's a public service announcement.

You know something Dj, the few times you tear yourself away from your mission to berate the FO, you actually make some decent football posts. However, your mission has robbed you of integrity and you resort to manipulating data and misrepresenting the truth.

Reader beware--------indeed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
With that out of the way............I think there are things the coaches can do better.

--Norv needs to run the ball more.

--We need to find ways to provide more pressure on the qb. Our DBs are not the type to cover guys all over the field. I think Skrine is the only one who has real good closing speed. Joe is good against bigger receivers, but struggles against guys who are quicker. Gipson has decent range, but he is a young player and he's still learning. Ward is a liability in coverage. Owens was an underrated tackler, but he did not possess a quick break in coverage. McFadden is a rookie. We're asking guys like Mingo, Sheard, and Kruger to play in coverage. That is something they have never done before. Robertson is fast, but we've put him in tough situations. DQ is very good in coverage, but that is one guy. I am not saying our guys can't cover, but they can't cover forever. We need to generate more pressure.

--People are down on Mingo, but I see a physically gifted player and I think Horton needs to design some stunts that frees up Mingo. The kid is freakishly athletic.

--I really thought Ward was going to have a break-out year under Horton. Most of you think that he has, but I see the same guy. I wonder why we don't blitz him more. I think he would be perfect in that role. He has good straight line speed. He is strong. He's aggressive. It would remove him from coverage. Why not blitz him more?

--The corner blitzes have been effective. Owens, in particular, looked good. McFadden got there quick last week. Someone mentioned Skrine...that was a good point. He's fast. You can get burned big time when you run corner blitzes, but they have been effective when we've run them.

--This team is not winning close games. While I think that has a lot to do w/player attitudes, it also falls on the coaching staff. You gotta get the troops to believe! Creating a culture that breeds winning is an important aspect of the job.

Thus, there are areas the coaching staff needs to improve upon. But, I like this staff. It's been great that players are being held accountable and not just handed their positions. We have been innovative on both offense and defense. We handled challenges well. We have sound philosophies. We just need to stay the course and build upon what we have.

I'm hoping the new owner is not as goofy as the previous owner. Junior was alwasys blowing things up. Haslam said he believed in continuity.............now it is time for him to prove it.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

With that out of the way............I think there are things the coaches can do better.

--Norv needs to run the ball more.

and not from the shotgun with these wack draw plays. they simply aren't working.

Quote:

--We need to find ways to provide more pressure on the qb. Our DBs are not the type to cover guys all over the field. I think Skrine is the only one who has real good closing speed. Joe is good against bigger receivers, but struggles against guys who are quicker. Gipson has decent range, but he is a young player and he's still learning. Ward is a liability in coverage. Owens was an underrated tackler, but he did not possess a quick break in coverage. McFadden is a rookie. We're asking guys like Mingo, Sheard, and Kruger to play in coverage. That is something they have never done before. Robertson is fast, but we've put him in tough situations. DQ is very good in coverage, but that is one guy. I am not saying our guys can't cover, but they can't cover forever. We need to generate more pressure.

thats a depth issue. yea, owens was a good tackler, but he sucked at doing what we brought him here to do: cover. if we are suppose to be a blitzing team, we should've brought in more DB's, even if they were 2nd string guys.

Quote:

--People are down on Mingo, but I see a physically gifted player and I think Horton needs to design some stunts that frees up Mingo. The kid is freakishly athletic.

i'll admit, he has some good games, but i still disagree with using #6 pick on a project. i'm always about using 1st rounders on, at the very least, players how know how to play their position already.

Quote:

--I really thought Ward was going to have a break-out year under Horton. Most of you think that he has, but I see the same guy. I wonder why we don't blitz him more. I think he would be perfect in that role. He has good straight line speed. He is strong. He's aggressive. It would remove him from coverage. Why not blitz him more?

dunno what you're seeing. the rest of the nfl calls him a top 5 SS. the problem with blitzing him more is that these rB's are getting past our LB's, so without him back there, we probably get gashed a lot more often than the times Ward has saved those big plays.

Quote:

--The corner blitzes have been effective. Owens, in particular, looked good. McFadden got there quick last week. Someone mentioned Skrine...that was a good point. He's fast. You can get burned big time when you run corner blitzes, but they have been effective when we've run them.

and thats what our team was suppose to be about. blitzing coming from everywhere at any given time. we have we stopped doing that the last 4 weeks?

Quote:

--This team is not winning close games. While I think that has a lot to do w/player attitudes, it also falls on the coaching staff. You gotta get the troops to believe! Creating a culture that breeds winning is an important aspect of the job.

i know this is personal preference, but i really wish Norv and Ray would be down on the field with our guys.

Quote:

Thus, there are areas the coaching staff needs to improve upon. But, I like this staff. It's been great that players are being held accountable and not just handed their positions. We have been innovative on both offense and defense. We handled challenges well. We have sound philosophies. We just need to stay the course and build upon what we have.

everything you said on that paragraph is correct. look no further than mcfadden. he had to earn the right to be on the field.

Quote:

I'm hoping the new owner is not as goofy as the previous owner. Junior was alwasys blowing things up. Haslam said he believed in continuity.............now it is time for him to prove it.

there shouldn't be any coaching changes imo. unless we are going off of smaller coaches, like i would look at the OL coach, or the ST coach, and maybe the LB/DB coach.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Agenda, agenda, agenda, what else, lol

For the record, again another Vers misconstruction of my opinion, what a surprise. Huff was my backup plan to Rhodes. He failed, yes. He would have been a 2mil waste. Right now, we have a 3mil waste in Bess and pay Kruger 3mil per sack, yay on that I guess. The "Huff-discussion" back then were about Ozzie/Ravens offfseason vs our's, which included the boatload of other vets signed (Canty, Spears, Dumervil) despite "having no cap room" vs our sitting on hands : the results speak for themselves yet again. Dansby and Lewis/Grimes alone would probably put us at 7-7 right now and that's with the disappointing pass rush.

Here's my FA wish list after we signed Kruger and Bryant on March 28th, sorry to the rest of the posters in advance, but I won't accept lies anymore from Mr Agenda. Funny enough, he already was on the same crusade back then:

Quote:

Before Vers bashes me as a hater or hypocrite...I know that the offseason is far from over, so I'll wait and see, but if Kruger, Bryant and a bunch of backups is all we could do with over 50mil in cap, then it would be a disappointing FA period after a very good start of it

FS Rhodes
ILB Dansby
G Moore
G Slauson
WR Hixon
CB Grimes
CB Winfield
FB McIntyre

If we add some of those names above, it'd be a much better offseason...cmon

We simply disagree (strongly) on Gipson. There's no point on going back and forth here. You think he's better than Ward and I think he's a well below AVG FS in this league filled with pretty bad talent at that position to begin with.

As for the no2 WRs against us:

Hartline 9-114 1 TD
M.Brown 4-45 1 TD
Simpson 3-29
Sanu 3-19
Woods 5-64
Durham 8-83
Boykin 8-103 1 TD
D.Avery 1-4
M.Brown 5-54 2 TDs
Sanu 2-11 1 TD
Sanders 6-52 1 TD
A.Sanders 8-67
Edelman 6-64 1 TD
Jeffery 5-72 1 TD

= 73-781 8 TDs after 14 games

Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Decker and Cruz have exactly 73 catches too on the season, but that list hardly comes close to their talent level. Do the same for Haden vs no1 WR, it's better vs much better talent.
We need a no2 CB.

Cue in Mr Agenda telling us either that a) it was somehow Ward's or Haden's fault or b) it's those player's fault for lacking "intestinal fortitude" that made Skrine/Owens get owned in the process

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
DJ, living in Carolina, it's funny because everything you (and others) say about the Browns, they were saying about Carolina last year when they squeaked out a 7-9 record.....

Week at LB other than Keuchly... secondary is very poor, hope the pass rush can protect them... OL doesn't run block very well... coaching staff is bad, Rivera should be fired, lose way too many winnable games, poor clock management...

Without any major changes (other than draft picks), basically the same roster is now one of the best defenses in the NFL, Rivera is "Riverboat Ron" and a likely COY candidate, and the team has to beat the Saints at home to be a 12 win team and win the division...

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

I think too many are reading too much in this - Vers man...come on reading his actions and face expressions. You deem him to be a loser and not a team player looking to go out. Meanwhile he's been the main trumpeter of Ward having to stay here and get signed.

Look we just put in two very different systems in from last season, new language new system all having to make transitions into it. Only Groves had experience in the D and the O? Our 2nd string TE?

The talent is Good and in some cases outstanding.
On defense really - I know I mentioned it on several thread the last few days as I did have a Revelation. Our biggest problem with the defense is the inefficiency of our 3rd down performance...we lick this and we got ourselves a #1 Defense. With 3 n outs galore! Sometimes its rather simple...I guess the revelation came to me as in one unsuccessful 3rd n long I see Poyer and Posey bracketing the WR as he makes the catch. I'm like didn't we just bring both up from practice squads not too long ago? UDFA rookies coming in for our Nickel and Dime defense when its 3rd and long and the opponent brings in their 4th and sometimes 5th WR. Combined with the fact in many cases we are just rushing 4 there is no need for them to keep eligible WRs in tight to help block.

What I'm getting at is how much of this is coaching as compared to us having solid starters but we are relatively a new team (youth movement made by the last regime) and the depth is very Watered Down. It also has been mentioned that this is a major evaluation season. This is obvious to me about our depth and the bad results. I'm sure we will fix this in the off season. Guys like Owens will become our 5th CB not 3rd. We'll see what progress McFadden makes I like his potential but he needs growth. I don't mind Posey and Poyer just they are the type after 3 years maybe getting it.

Offense...I mean logically all one has to look at is that we had 6 starting QB changes. What appeared to be the best of the bunch went on IR in our 5th game. Coaching did help Campbell's release as he doesn't wind up anymore. If Weeden made some progress just probably too little too late as the last time we saw him he had his best game.

Its 13 games...now 14 soon to be THE FIRST SEASON...I cannot believe we are reading questions on the coaching and if we should be think about Change???? CHANGE??? This is to be the Regime of continuity - I won't even start to think about CHANGE until the 3rd season is winding down.

Fix the depth of our DBs so that we have better success with 3rd down efficiency...continuity so that our full blitz packages are in place...+ remember we will add more talent every season upgrading wherever we can.

Fix the QB. I think Hoyer will help a lot but still a lot of questions he has to answer - almost positive that we are investing high with a QB. Lets give them a little latitude on having some continuity in bringing in their system. Too many dawgs looking at the same record of the past regime keep in mind it was their 2nd year with their new system while this is our first in these. Both of our current systems show so much hope n promise.

LOSING SUCKS that is the constant we have here. I get the frustration but this regime did not have 14 years of LOSING...just this one. We have to stop this mentality of boom or bust from year one! Always with the mantra of well if KC can do it how bout us? They were picking first in the draft and yet they had enough talent to have SIX pro bowlers on the team and they went and got a QB who gets it and perfect for their system along with drafting the best OT in the draft class.

JMHO...lets give the coaches their latitude to improve this team and build on what is started.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
DC, I hope you're right. we CAN be next like the Panthers or Chiefs next season. This upcoming offseason is what the failed one with Weeden and TRich was for Heckert.

I want nobody fired btw, not the coaches or any FO guy. I'm a skeptic and criticize the coaches and even mores the FO, but I know as much as anyone that continuity is key. Not after one season. Mangini was an exception back then, because I could see his BS right through him, but the guys we have in here now all have some positives, so they deserve time. Similar record next season I'll probably change my tune, but even then I'll probably want to see a 3rd season.

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
I'm right there with you... as far as next year and a third, I have to admit that if we are a 4 or 5 win team again next year it's going to take everything I've got to not be calling for somebody's head... It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where we could win 4 or 5 games next year and I could think to myself, "Yea, I've seen enough improvement to warrant giving them another year." The obvious big unknown is the possibility of us starting a rookie QB..

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum what happened to the coaching?

Link Copied to Clipboard