OP Offline
Legend
D
Scouting Report: Pittsburgh Steelers

Dec 24, 2013
By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

Sunday, 1 p.m., in Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA

Record: 7-8.

Last game: Beat Packers, 38-31, Dec. 21, in Green Bay, WI.

Coach: Mike Tomlin, 75-44, seventh year.

Series record: Steelers lead, 66-57 (counting postseason).

Last meeting: Steelers won, 27-11, Nov. 24, in Cleveland.

League rankings: Offense is 16th overall (29th rushing, 11th passing), defense is 14th (22nd rushing, eighth passing) and turnover differential is minus-4.

Offensive overview: Coordinator Todd Haley’s determination to run the ball is finally paying dividends. The offense remains in the hands of QB Ben Roethlisberger, but now it undeniably goes through RB Leveon Bell. For the season, the rookie is averaging 22 touches (carries and catches), but that figure has gone up to 28 the past two big wins over Cincinnati and Green Bay. Exploiting Bell in the run and pass game has eased the burden on the eternally-injured offensive line. Even with a third starting center, Cody Wallace, Roethlisberger has been sacked only five times the last five games after being on a pace for 60. Given a running game and the freedom to wing it sporadically in his favored no-huddle attack, Roethlisberger has put together one of his best seasons statistically. The beneficiary has been Antonio Brown, whose 101 receptions for 1,412 yards rank him third in both categories.

Defensive overview: This hasn’t been one of coordinator Dick LeBeau’s vintage years, to be sure. The Packers gashed them for 152 yards on the ground. The pass rush is tame. The secondary is slow and vulnerable to big plays; they’ve given up a league-high 11 plays of 50 yards or more. But they still have playmakers at every unit – Cameron Heyward on the D-line, Jason Worlids at linebacker and Troy Polamalu at in-the-box safety. One of the concessions LeBeau has made this season is to phase out of his traditional 3-4 alignment and use a dime defense almost as much as his base. This alignment employs Polamalu as linebacker and brings on Will Allen at safety. One lineup change since the first meeting in Cleveland has Cortez Allen back as a starting cornerback and William Gay, who had a monster game vs. the Browns, being used as a nickel back.

Special teams overview: Kicker Shaun Suisham is 28 of 30 on field goals with a long of 48 yards. He is 29th with 20 touchbacks on kickoffs. Punter Mat McBriar is 31st in gross average (41.3 yards) and 31st in net (35.4). He has suffered one block and has thrown a pass for 30 yards on a fake. Antonio Brown is third in punt returns (13.4 average) and has a 67-yard TD. Felix Jones is 20th in kickoff returns (22.2).

Players to watch:

1. QB Ben Roethlisberger: Finishing off one of his best seasons statistically, he should eclipse the franchise record for passing yards and will play in 16 games for only the second time in his career. He is 16-1 vs. the Browns with a 100.0 passer rating.

2. WR Antonio Brown: Third in the league in receptions (101) and yards (1,412), he is only player in five years to have at least five receptions for 50 yards in every game. He also has returned a punt for a touchdown.

3. RB Le’veon Bell: Developing as a workhorse back, the rookie from Michigan State may have a puny rushing average of 3.4, but his receiving ability (44 catches) enables the offense to keep the pass pressure off Roethlisberger.

Injury report: LB LaMarr Woodley (calves) is out. DE Brett Keisel (plantar fasciitis) LB Jason Worlids (abdominal), WR Emmanuel Sanders (knee) and WR Markus Wheaton (broken finger) will be limited.

Small world: Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau was born in London, OH, played at Ohio State and was a fifth-round draft pick of the Browns in 1959 … Assistant head coach/defensive line John Mitchell was a coach with the Browns 1991-93 … linebackers coach Keith Butler was with the Browns 1999-02 … quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner was born in Cleveland … wide receivers coach Richard Mann was with the Browns 1985-93 … defensive assistant Jerry Olsavsky is a native of Youngstown and coached at Youngstown State … quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is from Findlay, OH, and played at Miami (Ohio) … quarterback Bruce Gradkowski played at Toledo and for the Browns in 2008 … defensive end Cameron Heyward and offensive lineman Mike Adams played at Ohio State.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

QB Ben Roethlisberger: Finishing off one of his best seasons statistically, he should eclipse the franchise record for passing yards and will play in 16 games for only the second time in his career. He is 16-1 vs. the Browns with a 100.0 passer rating.

16 and 1 w/a passer rating of 100!

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

One of the concessions LeBeau has made this season is to phase out of his traditional 3-4 alignment and use a dime defense almost as much as his base. This alignment employs Polamalu as linebacker and brings on Will Allen at safety.

I wonder if we could do this with Mingo? When we drafted him, I kind of envisioned a guy who might attack the passer from any spot on the field - what we used to call a "monster-back" in high school. I'd like to see a designed defense that allows him to free-lance more, because its pretty frustrating watching him take an outside speed rush and end up 7 yards behind the QB. It would be fun to see him be able to use his straightline speed through gaps to the QB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know about the Mingo thing, but we have been doing that same thing w/TJ Warand Poyer in recent weeks.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Mingo seems to be player without a position. Too slight to play 3-4 DE, not good enough in coverage to play LB. I'd like to see the Browns be a little more creative in finding ways for him to rush the passer. I don't know, put him in Robertson's spot on passing downs and run DL stunts that create openings in the OL pocket. I'm tired of watching Roethlisberger torch us - I want to see him running for his life on passing downs, and going down.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. " Mingo seems to be player without a position.. "
........................................................................................

So like why did our FO take him #6 in the draft last year ?

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I don't know, maybe they thought they could bulk him up and coach him up. I think they saw "special", but to me he looks like a tweener. I wanted Milliner first, Warmack second. Anyway, it doesn't matter now, we need to find ways to use the things he CAN do, imo.

Legend
Legend
I was a bit on Milliner too, but he has done little so far in NY. (except, of course, against us)

As far as Warmack, I never wanted a Guard in the 1st. (especially not at 6 overall) I really haven't paid a huge amount of attention to him in Tennessee, However, in retrospect, we could sure use a powerful Guard on this OL.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

.. " Mingo seems to be player without a position.. "
........................................................................................

So like why did our FO take him #6 in the draft last year ?

Same reason Savage took Wimbley. GMs fall in love with college sack highlights. And we still don't have a coach established enough to say no.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay...........I am going to disagree w/the the theme of this thread.

Mingo does not suck. He is switching positions. He will be a stand-up OLBer who will get after the passer. He is not the bust or loser that most of you make him out to be. I really can't believe how many people are bashing this kid while praising the play of other guys.

I hate saying this........but what the heck are you watching? Seriously!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Mingo does not suck. He is switching positions. He will be a stand-up OLBer who will get after the passer. He is not the bust or loser that most of you make him out to be. I really can't believe how many people are bashing this kid while praising the play of other guys.

nobody is saying he sucks vers. once again you miss the very point people are trying to make.

the point is why would you pick a PROJECT at #6, instead of a player that already is highly rated at the position he already knows. thats the entire point.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who?

Mingo still makes mistakes, but he is actually playing better than most of our defensive players. I really don't get all the ragging on him, while guys like Ward and Taylor are getting all this love.

Seriously.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Who?

Mingo still makes mistakes, but he is actually playing better than most of our defensive players. I really don't get all the ragging on him, while guys like Ward and Taylor are getting all this love.

Seriously.

he's actually not. he's a backup to sheard, who imo, won't be losing his spot any time soon to mingo.

he makes mistakes, but he has good upside. nobody is denying that vers.

but for someone like you defending a project at #6, and then being the same guy saying we reached for T rich and weeden in the 1st round, imo just doesn't make any sense to me.

i agree we reached on them, but at least those are the positions they play, we weren't trying to change T rich to a FB, or weeden to a WR like so many other teams do.

you're suppose to get bonafide starters in the 1st round, not projects. THATS why people have a problem with the production of mingo.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

I watch a guy who gets driven wide on to many plays. But makes highlights when a blocker whiffs due to his speed.
Wimbley part 2.
In 8 years Wimbley has been on 3 teams and managed 50 or so sacks. Not bad, but not what I want for that level of pick.
Sacks are sexy, but give me a guy who can shed a blocker and make the stop first.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He is a pass rusher.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Do you feel he has more upside Than Wimbley did ?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Also, a lot of pass rushers switching from DE to OLB take a year ..... or sometimes longer, to adjust to their new position.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
http://www.youtube.com/v/-1Ud3o60G00

Go to 5:30 if you want to hear Saban talk about the Star/Money position that Troy and TJ play in the dime or the 3-3-5.

Also all picks are project picks. You expect them to make a difference right away, which Mingo has done, but not play elite yet.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Mingo is going to be productive for us. He has mad physical skills and is way stronger and much tougher than some people claim he is.

I think his strength will be rushing the passer and making some disruptive plays in the running game, such as he did last week against the Jets when he slung that ball carrier to the ground for about a 5 yard loss.

I don't think he will ever be a Clay Matthews Sr type where he excels at everything, but he can be more like a Clay Matthews Jr. type who is disruptive because he can get up the field.

There have been a lot of effective players like that over the years, such as Dereck Thomas, CharlesHaley, Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, etc. Recent guys are Suggs, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, James Harrison, etc. While they might not excel in every area of the game, they are still valuable players.

I just don't get this wasted draft pick thing. Last year, almost every single person acknowledged that the Brown's number one need was acquiring an edge rusher. The Browns attempted to do that. I have no problem w/that draft choice.

It's amazing to me that this thread has turned into another Mingo thread when he was never even mentioned in the original article, while the fact that Big Ben is 16 and 1 against us w/a passer rating of 100 is being ignored. Additionally, the Steelers defense has improved because they moved Troy P inside to LBer on some plays while we did the same thing w/TJ Ward and our defense isn't playing better.

I guess that's Mingo's fault???

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
It became about Mingo when I wondered if he could be used in that type of scheme instead of rushing the passer from a 3 pt stance at DE. That blurb by Grossi about Polamalu moving to LB made me think maybe Mingo could wreak more havoc from behind the LOS.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Like I said, we are already doing that same thing w/TJ Ward. It's just that the results haven't been as good.

I don't really think it would be a good idea to put Mingo in the middle of the field. However, I do agree that we might want to get more creative w/our pass rush. I don't see very much stunting going on.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working very well with Ward in that role. He makes some tackles at the LOS and occasionally for a loss, but he rarely gets to the QB and I sure wouldn't call him a game changer, like Polamalu.

Legend
Legend
TJ ward leads the team in solo tackles and tackles for a loss.

Maybe our lbs should be playing like.... I dunno, lbs?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working very well with Ward in that role. He makes some tackles at the LOS and occasionally for a loss, but he rarely gets to the QB and I sure wouldn't call him a game changer, like Polamalu.

I don't think there has been a single safety in the game over the last 10 years that has changed more games with his play at the LOS than Polamalu. If you're comparing anybody to Polamalu, they're probably going to look bad.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"the point is why would you pick a PROJECT at #6, instead of a player that already is highly rated at the position he already knows. thats the entire point."

Probably for the same reason the Browns traded out of mid-round picks,traded the only RB on the roster,and played Weeden as much as they did.
This was a throw away year.Some will say evaluation,others rebuild,doesn't really matter as the results are the same.
If you're going to take a risk,do it in a year you allready know you're going to suck.Less pain that way.
Now I'm wondering,exactly who were these highly rated players you speak of?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Legend
Legend
D
I hate the man, but he's the best safety to play the game IMO. To play including all eras, all times, all teams. He covers a huge, huge amount of turf too. He just flies all over the field.

Watching him constantly jump over linemen when reading snaps perfectly, takcle for loss, blowing plays up in the backfield - he's a freak. I guess if you want to pick a weakness of his, sometimes he has some durability issues but their defense is a changed defense when he is, and isn't on the field.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think there has been a single safety in the game over the last 10 years that has changed more games with his play at the LOS than Polamalu. If you're comparing anybody to Polamalu, they're probably going to look bad.

There was a three our four year stretch where I called Polamalu the "Michael Jordan" of the NFL. He was on another level than everyone else. And it is beyond obvious that his tape study is second to none.

But for an entire career I'd take Reed over Polamalu. I know Reed is more of a center fielder and Polamalu plays a lot at the LOS, but I pick Reed by a hair. I think some of Polamalu's deficiencies, particulary in coverage, were masked by Lebeau.

Of course, they both made careers by playing a really crappy franchise twice a year ... can't remember that franchise name ... hmmmm.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

If you're comparing anybody to Polamalu, they're probably going to look bad.

I wasn't comparing Ward to Polamalu so much as wondering if Mingo could play that role for the Browns better than Ward, given his freakish physical skills and because he seems to be neutralized at the DE position by decent LTs.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Mingo has looked horrible in coverage, why would you even waste brain waves in contemplating playing him at safety? And he's not a DE either, he's an outside linebacker whom often plays in the same stance (hand in the ground) as defensive ends.

Keep Mingo up and around the trenches IMO. Asking him to drift into coverage, likely at ANY position - is a liability in the making that teams will purposely exploit. JMO

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I'm talking about putting him into the LB role that Polamalu fills in certain defenses for the Steelers, and that Ward fills in certain defenses for the Browns. I don't want to put Mingo at Safety at all.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"the point is why would you pick a PROJECT at #6, instead of a player that already is highly rated at the position he already knows. thats the entire point."

Probably for the same reason the Browns traded out of mid-round picks,traded the only RB on the roster,and played Weeden as much as they did.
This was a throw away year.Some will say evaluation,others rebuild,doesn't really matter as the results are the same.
If you're going to take a risk,do it in a year you allready know you're going to suck.Less pain that way.
Now I'm wondering,exactly who were these highly rated players you speak of?

for one, i still rather have milliner. he might not be playing that well, but thats for the jets, we don't know how good or bad he would've played for us. seem to do good when he played against us though.

a #2 CB was a priority, and still is. so yes, even know, i would've taken milliner.

also, warmack was a highly rated G. we needed that coming into the season, and as we all know now, we need that more than ever.

so once again, i have no problems with mingo as a player, i have a problem with where he was drafted.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If you're comparing anybody to Polamalu, they're probably going to look bad.

I wasn't comparing Ward to Polamalu so much as wondering if Mingo could play that role for the Browns better than Ward, given his freakish physical skills and because he seems to be neutralized at the DE position by decent LTs.

he needs to evolve a whole lot more than just pass rushing ability to have a bigger impact on the field than ward. i understand this is his 1st year, so he needs time, but i highly doubt his coverage skills will be good.

we need our LB's to do more than just rush the passer.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Also, a lot of pass rushers switching from DE to OLB take a year ..... or sometimes longer, to adjust to their new position.

I agree with this statement. I'm biased here because I wanted Mingo w/ our 6th pick but I'm not upset at all by his performance this year. Would we all want 10+ sacks? Sure, but the guy is playing a completely different position in a different defensive scheme....I'll give him more than one season to make a definite decision on him.

I get the argument that people are saying that perhaps you don't take that type of player at #6 because of the difference in position/defense mentioned above but sometimes there are things you just can't pass up.

- This kid is explosive off the ball
- His measurements- wing span, vertical ability, speed

^You can't teach this stuff....and even those that are disappointed with his overall performance, I know you have seen flashes that make you go WOW! Only if this kid can do it more consistently, this kid could be really good!

Now, Mingo is going to need to continue to LEARN his position better in the offseason, like Horton said, and develop into the more rounded OLB. I think, in the short time he's been a Browns that he's shown the mental capacity and desire to do it. That and I just think he's a nice guy.

Also, like Horton said, I'd be ok with Mingo adding a few more pounds... not at the expense of greatly decreasing his speed, but adding some weight to handle defenders better. Then he could further turn his amazing speed into added strength and power against defenders.

I am still very optimistic about Mingo's future even considering some of the mistakes we've witnessed and I think he can grow from those errors, and when he does (hopefully) he'll couple that maturity with his physical abilities and it will be fun to watch.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 12/26/13 07:18 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
If anyone's interested, you can hear Tim Couch and Sam Rutigliano interviews on 92.3 The Fan this morning. Couch is at 9AM and Sam is at 8:30AM. Bonus is that you won't have to hear Kiley or Booms - Kenny Roda is filling in this week. Click "Listen Live" at the link below.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/station/92-3-the-fan/

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack,so your argument doesn't make alot of sense to me.
I asked who you would have taken,you come back with Warmack.If this FO would have drafted a guard at #6 they would have been crucified.Doing that would have shown to the whole world,these people have zero idea about the economics of football.
Then you mention Millner,with the caveat that "he's not playing real well right now".So in other words,you wouldn't have been happy if we had picked him.
Here's how the draft has changed,more teams are running the 3-4.That puts a premium on OLB pass rushers.
Just like with QB's,if you need one,you will have to step up to the plate early,and maybe even overdraft to get a good one.
When I see the words "where he was drafted" I immediately recognize that as someone who is just bitching just to bitch.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wanted us to draft Miliner at #6. However, he has been playing poorly. He's been benched on two separate occasions. As it stands right now, Mingo was the better pick.

Drafting Warmack at #6? That would have been dumb. When was the last time a guard was taken that high?

I think people are forgetting what a terrible draft class that was. All the guys at the top had major question marks. Look at what Jordan is doing in Miami this year and he was taken before Mingo.

I actually like what I have seen from Mingo. I don't think he is a finished product, but he has had some productivity and he certainly has flashed how much ability he has.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack,so your argument doesn't make alot of sense to me.
I asked who you would have taken,you come back with Warmack.If this FO would have drafted a guard at #6 they would have been crucified.Doing that would have shown to the whole world,these people have zero idea about the economics of football.
Then you mention Millner,with the caveat that "he's not playing real well right now".So in other words,you wouldn't have been happy if we had picked him.
Here's how the draft has changed,more teams are running the 3-4.That puts a premium on OLB pass rushers.
Just like with QB's,if you need one,you will have to step up to the plate early,and maybe even overdraft to get a good one.
When I see the words "where he was drafted" I immediately recognize that as someone who is just bitching just to bitch.

i'm not bitching just to bitch. i absolutely have a problem with where he was drafted. so people can have a problem with a RB, who plays a RB, drafted at #3, but i can't complain about a DE swapping over to OLB, a PROJECT, at #6?

you missed my point about milliner. he might be playing poorly now with the jets, but we have no idea how he would've played HERE. in cleveland. which is why i still wished we would've taken him over mingo.

if mingo studs out, great, i'll eat the crow just like i ate it when i called cameron the softest TE we ever had. but i severely doubt that happens. right now, he is a pass rusher, and thats it. he gets sealed up a lot on running plays, but once again, its his rookie year, so he needs time. but i have not seem him play decently at all in coverage. and thats why i have an issue with him. we have 2 pass rushing OLB at that position, and he doesn't even start over sheard, and WON'T because sheard is playing great this year. but we need our LB's to do more than just rush the passer. they need to cover as well.

as far as warmack? i don't care what you guys say, we needed a Guard. with all the investments they did on the defensive side of the ball, i figured they either take a CB or an OL. so i'd have no problem taking warmack, seeing as we needed one, and DEFINITELY need some guards now.

so you guys say what you will, but until mingo studs out, thats my stance.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Many OLB are college DE who switch to 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Many are elite players at DE, and worthy of a high draft pick based on their talent alone. The position switch is a difficult one, and not every player makes it, and often such a player needs a year or maybe even 2 to make the switch. However, if you want an impact 3-4 OLB, just as if you want an impact 4-3 DE, you probably take him in the 1st round.

In a draft that was, by every measure, a down year draft, taking a chance on a pass rusher like Mingo was a worthwhile risk to take.

Legend
Legend
There were two DE's drafted ahead of Mingo last year.

At #3 for the Fins is Dion Jordan, he has 17 tackles, 7 assists and 2 sacks.
At #5 for the Lions is Ezekiel Ansah, he has 19 tackles, 12 assists and 8 sacks.
At #6 for the Browns is Mingo, he has 28 tackles, 12 assists and 5 sacks.

Now why is it Mingo sucks?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

There were two DE's drafted ahead of Mingo last year.

At #3 for the Fins is Dion Jordan, he has 17 tackles, 7 assists and 2 sacks.
At #5 for the Lions is Ezekiel Ansah, he has 19 tackles, 12 assists and 8 sacks.
At #6 for the Browns is Mingo, he has 28 tackles, 12 assists and 5 sacks.

Now why is it Mingo sucks?

Mingo has had his struggles. He has lost contain on some big plays for the opponent ...... and has been inconsistent. However, he has played well at times too. He is inexperienced, and that has shown badly at times. However, he also has great talent, and that has shown as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Steelers 20 Grossi's Scouting Report: Pittsburgh Steelers

Link Copied to Clipboard