Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
2014 Pro Bowl: Complete rosters

The NFL announced Friday the rosters for the 2014 Pro Bowl, which for the first-time will be "Unconferenced" with players selected without regard to conference in voting by fans, coaches and players.

The first-ever Pro Bowl Draft will be nationally televised during a live three-hour prime-time broadcast on NFL Network at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014. Pro Football Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will serve as alumni team captains for their respective squads.

The 2014 Pro Bowl will be played Jan. 26 and air live on NBC at 7 p.m. ET from Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Offense

Quarterback: Tom Brady, Patriots; Drew Brees, Saints; Peyton Manning, Broncos; Cam Newton, Panthers; Philip Rivers, Chargers; Russell Wilson, Seahawks.

Wide receiver: Antonio Brown, Steelers; Dez Bryant, Cowboys; Josh Gordon, Browns; A.J. Green, Bengals; Andre Johnson, Texans; Calvin Johnson, Lions; Brandon Marshall, Bears; Demaryius Thomas (Broncos).

Tackle: Branden Albert, Chiefs; Jason Peters, Eagles; Tyron Smith, Cowboys; Joe Staley, 49ers; Joe Thomas, Bronws; Trent Williams, Redskins.

Guard: Jahri Evans, Saints; Ben Grubbs, Saints; Mike Iupati, 49ers; Logan Mankins, Patriots; Louis Vasquez, Broncos; Marshal Yanda, Ravens.

Center: Ryan Kalil, Panthers; Alex Mack, Browns; Mike Pouncey, Dolphins; Max Unger, Seahawks.

Tight end: Jordan Cameron, Browns; Vernon Davis, 49ers; Jimmy Graham, Saints; Julius Thomas, Broncos.

Running back: Jamaal Charles, Chiefs; Matt Forte, Bears; Frank Gore, 49ers; Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks; LeSean McCoy, Eagles; Adrian Peterson, Vikings.

Fullback: Marcel Reece, Raiders; Mike Tolbert, Panthers.

Defense

Defensive end: Greg Hardy, Panthers; Cameron Jordan, Saints; Robert Quinn, Rams; Cameron Wake, Dolphins; J.J. Watt, Texans; Mario Williams, Bills.

Interior lineman: Gerald McCoy, Bucs; Haloti Ngata, Ravens; Dontari Poe, Chiefs; Justin Smith, 49ers; Ndamukong Suh, Lions; Kyle Williams, Bills.

Outside linebacker: John Abraham, Cardinals; Ahmad Brooks, 49ers; Tamba Hali, Chiefs; Justin Houston, Chiefs; Robert Mathis, Colts; Terrell Suggs, Ravens.

Inside/middle linebacker: NaVorro Bowman, 49ers; Vontaze Burfict, Bengals; Luke Kuechly, Panthers; Patrick Willis, 49ers.

Cornerback: Brandon Flowers, Chiefs; Brent Grimes, Dolphins; Joe Haden, Browns; Patrick Peterson, Cardinals; Darrelle Revis, Bucs; Richard Sherman, Seahawks; Aqib Talib, Patriots; Alterraun Verner, Titans.

Free safety: Jairus Byrd, Bills; Earl Thomas, Seahawks; Eric Weddle, Chargers.

Strong safety: Eric Berry, Chiefs; Kam Chancellor, Seahawks; Troy Polamalu, Steelers.

Special Teams

Punter: Brandon Fields, Dolphins; Johnny Hekker, Rams.

Placekicker: Matt Prater, Broncos; Justin Tucker, Ravens.

Punt returner: Antonio Brown, Steelers; Dexter McCluster, Chiefs.

Special teamer: Justin Bethel, Cardinals; Matthew Slater, Patriots.

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/0ap2000000304771/article/2014-pro-bowl-complete-rosters

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
TJ Ward is an alternate.

Link

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 12/27/13 10:12 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
So happy TJ got in. Who is ahead of him for alternates?

R
Legend
Legend
R
6 Pro Bowlers?

When the Chiefs had 6 Pro Bowlers on their 2-14 team last year, the national perception was a talented yet leaderless team...which was only confirmed this year with a hell of a coach and steady QB play.

Interesting that this talentless team is sending 6 guys to the Pro Bowl.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Its been hard telling my buddies how much better we are as a team this year. When the record looks exactly the same as all the other years.
Our offense is a QB and RB away from taking off.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

6 Pro Bowlers?

When the Chiefs had 6 Pro Bowlers on their 2-14 team last year, the national perception was a talented yet leaderless team...which was only confirmed this year with a hell of a coach and steady QB play.

And that's why I was rooting for Andy Reid. Don't sell the man short, there is only a handful of coaches in the NFL who could run that roster effectively.

He wouldn't have had the RB to make it work here. Andys offense will falter quickly without that back, Same as the Eagles with Kelly. Kinda funny being in PA and watching the Eagles look like the exact same team offensively. Everyone was so tired of Andy here, yet Kelly runs the identical offense. Slightly more run oriented, but not much.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Pro Bowl Snubs

9. Devin McCourty and T.J. Ward, safeties

Getting rid of the conferences was a great idea. Tossing the "free safety" and "strong safety" tags should be next. McCourty stabilized New England's coverage in the back end, while Ward deserved to make it for his run-stopping ability. Eric Weddle and Troy Polamalu both didn't have their best seasons.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

6 Pro Bowlers?

This was the very first thing I thought of when reading the OP.

For all the doom & gloom on this board recently, I just haven't been able to buy in. All my razors are still hanging in my bathroom, and my wrists are still intact.

I could be in the minority here, but to me it still feels like this team is closer to 'making the jump' than it's been in quite some time. Recently, I talked about the Browns having a more solid nucleus than at any time in recent memory... and thanked the current FO for not simply gutting everything the previous FO did. I think this 'year of eval' will pay off soon... as this bunch didn't simply trash all of Heckert's hires- and charged the new coaching staff to use them as they saw fit. IMO, it was the right call for the situation.

Now they know what needs to be added, and what needs to be junked. I can almost guaran-dam-tee you that the turnover will be smaller and more manageable than the usual "new broom sweeps clean" approach we've seen so many times before.

We're not a lock for playoffs next year, nor are we even a lock for 8-8... but there is a core of a team that can be worked with.Many are saying we're 'talent deprived,' and I won't argue that we don't need more- on both sides of the ball.

BUT... I'll also say this: 6 Pro Bowlers on a losing team is nothing to sniff at.

Agreed also that we're 'leadership deprived.' All season (after Hoyer went down), I waited to see someone step up set the example for others to follow. As far as I'm concerned, that needs to be something the coaches work on this offseason. Find/mold/make leaders on all 3 sides of the ball.

6 pro bowlers. On a 4-11 team. That alone should give some Browns fans some hope.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
jc

so we have 5 pro bowlers, one alt, so pretty much 6.

including the "overrated" TJ Ward. don't let some posters see that link.

i for one am really happy that we have 6 pro bowlers in. when is the last time that has happened?

2 on D, 4 on O? thats great!

i'm really we have browns players representing, and getting a nice vacation to boot!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Only once since the rebirth and that was after a 10-6 season including a KR and a LS as 2 of the 6 pro bowlers.

Legend
Legend
Congratulations to all of our guys. I cannot really argue with any of them.

I guess that I could be a little surprised that Mack made it, as I thought that our OL having a poor year would definitely cost him.

Gordon deserves it, as does Cameron. Thomas is a perpetual "deserver". I am really surprised that 4 players on offense make it from a unit as bad as ours though.

I do think that Haden deserved to make the Pro Bowl earlier this season, then slipped somewhat. Same thing with Ward. (and he is an alternate)

I guess this really shows how important the QB is,

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have more pro bowlers than wins... Damn isn't great to be a Browns fan ..

Congrats to every one of them

Legend
Legend
Everyone says that the Pro Bowl is essentially a meaningless game. I agree.

I also believe that a Pro Bowl bid is an acknowledgement of achievement that actually means something in the profession.

The game itself is stupid. The honor of being chosen is not.

To be honest, I was only sure about seeing Joe Thomas this year. All these other guys are pleasant surprises.... because Browns historically get no love. Each had the numbers and individual plays to be considered, but all voting contests are a crap shoot. Browns usually come up 'craps'... unless they're nominated for Special Teams.

This is my hope: I hope that these players recognize the opportunity they are being handed... and use it to 'up' their games even further. By opportunity, I don't mean playing in Hawaii.... I mean using their newfound recognition as validation for their hard work, and as license to act as leadership examples next year.

If this team is to find its leadership, it can most effectively be inserted from its highest-profile players. Players whose cred is now established.

I'd love for JoeT to break out of his shell, snatch some guys up by their shirt collars and say: "I'm tired of only going to the Pro Bowl. I want to go the The Dance... and you need to help make that happen!"

Haden could do it. A year removed from suspension, after a season where he shut out some of the league's biggest stars, he's earned enough cred to be one. Is his character solid enough to 'live it,' now that he's earned it?

Ward is no longer a young'un. What is he made of? Does he have the character to take this load on his back?

Gordon needs to stay clean and blow away records again next year, then take his turn at stepping up. Talk about a living example. One strike away from a year's suspension to becoming a league-leader in consecutive seasons? By then, he'll have truly earned the role (if he's suited for it). We'll see.

This is the chance for these guys to become the face of the team.... not just in publicity/marketing, but in the team's total culture. I hope someone gets with each of them, and explains to them that this is an opportunity to cement their names in a pro football franchise's history. Not as individual stats leaders at their respective positions.... but as the class that turned the franchise around.

'Instant immortality,' yo.

Their names would be spoken with the same reverence reserved for names like Kosar, Sipe, (80's) Mack,Matthews, Dieken, Groza, Brown and Graham. They'd never pay for another meal or drink in public, and they'd be able to look at their careers as special above most....

...because they helped to make something truly special out of next-to-nothing. That's more than just a career... that's a contribution to a legacy. There are few higher honors than that, no matter what culture or profession we discuss.

These guys have a chance to write a story that's worthy of the NFL Films Vaults.

I hope they get that. I hope they get it, and use it to give Browns fans some validation for their decades of patience and loyalty.

They could be heroes.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

These guys have a chance to write a story that's worthy of the NFL Films Vaults.

I hope they get that. I hope they get it, and use it to give Browns fans some validation for their decades of patience and loyalty.

They could be heroes.

Heroes? Heck, they could be legends.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Everyone says that the Pro Bowl is essentially a meaningless game.

Some are saying the same thing about the Browns / Steelers game this Sunday

Legend
Legend
Deezy:

This week has been hard for me on the boards.

I still think that every game is meaningful, because it's one of only 16 games we get to see.

I'm not posting this as some 'wannabe GM' in a Fantasy League Of Football Geeks. I'm posting as a Football Fan. There is still one more game to be played in the regular season. Against Pittsburgh. In their home.

As a football fan, I deserve to see a contest that is worthy of my 3 Hours Of Life.
As a football fan, I deserve to see My Team play its ass off, and do everything it can to win the game.
As a football fan, I deserve to see a team that makes me actually want to see some of these players back next year.

As a 'wannabe GM' in a Fantasy League Of Football Geeks... I want to wait until the reg. season is truly over, and deal with the draft as it will be, 5 wins or 4.

I hate seeing this team lose to Pittsburgh more than I love seeing this team defeat Baltimore. I can't help it. It's burned into my psyche. And if these Pro Bowl guys want to become heroes/legends/titans of Browns lore, they can make a real good start by stepping (tf) UP this Sunday, and show their team what a winner looks and acts like.

6 Pro Bowlers.
6 chances for players to re-write The Browns' Story.
6 people who can start 'turning it around'... not next year, but NOW.

I've pounded it into the ground over the years, but I'll say it again: I'm all about Culture. Without it, a team- ANY TEAM- is a house of cards- from one season to the next.

I can't think of a better First Step than being the team that officially eliminates Pittsburgh from playoff contention.

This is NOT a 'meaningless game.'

Screw ALL you 'draft junkies' who value April Boards over Games Yet To Be Played. I live my football fandom by watching men battle on the field. The draft will happen in its own time and place. For now, there is still football- REAL FOOTBALL to be played. And every game matters.

If I find out that the players on MY Team approached The Weekly Game with the same mindset that is displayed by some of its 'fans' on this board, I'll do one of two things:

1. Lobby that those players be expelled from the team
2. Quit following the Browns altogether... after 50 years of devout allegiance.

I've been forced to watch Steelers players laughing on the sidelines at halftime during blowouts against the Browns.

I've been forced to watch Dennis Northcutt drop a pass that eliminated us from further playoff contention... as we let That Team come back from a huge deficit.

I've watched games that have shown more yellow towels in the stands than Browns fans at the end of the 3rd quarter. In Cleveland. At the end of a season. It's happened way too many times for my taste... and it needs to change.

If these guys want to turn the tide of public sentiment from "the draft is our season" to "January is the start of our season," they need to start now. There is no time to waste.

Each of these Pro Bowl players has his chance to begin changing the culture at 76 Goza right freakkin' now.

With 6, we can do it.
With 5, me might be able to.
With 4 or fewer... maybe, but it's highly unlikely.
With 3 or fewer: this year's Pro Bowl Class is a mirage... and there's more work to be done than we all thought.

THIS class is the key, Deez.

Otherwise, we're looking at another 5 years before we even can hope to have legitimacy.

The window is tight. The clock never stops ticking.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Screw ALL you 'draft junkies' who value April Boards over Games Yet To Be Played. I live my football fandom by watching men battle on the field. The draft will happen in its own time and place. For now, there is still football- REAL FOOTBALL to be played. And every game matters.

What kills me is that if you look at our draft "competition" and who they play, there's a good chance that the outcome of this game won't even affect our slot.....and we still have people hoping we lose.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
If it doesn't have an effect on our draft position, especially since beating the Steelers would then make their 3rd round pick, which we own, would improve. (probably)

It is always great to beat the Steelers. I always hope for us to beat them, even if it would hurt us in the draft. Unfortunately, it usually doesn't matter.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
JC

I hope the Pro-Bowl draft is like picking teams for gym class in high school where you get down to the last 5 people and both Jerry Rice and Primetime start to cringe and just point at the player they want.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't like the idea of teammates playing against each other.

Congrats on the 6 mentioned players. Too bad Mack is probably going to walk unless we franchise him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
While losing is not likely to improve our draft slot, winning will certainly drop us 3 to 5 positions. We are currently at fourth or fifth, we could drop to eight or nine.

Clem, I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. This is a matter of short-term versus long-term, it's losing the battle to win the war.

I believe there are better odds of more improvement next year, and beyond, from losing this game rather than winning it. By next years' opener, nobody is gonna remember this game.

As for the Pro Bowl, the recognition for the players is good, but the game itself is a farce. IMO, it is not football and they need to do something different.

6 Pro Bowlers is something to be excited about. It is hope that we do not really suck as bad as we look, and next year we actually might not suck at all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
More so than short term vs long term, I think Sunday's game is heart vs head.

The pragmatic part of me says we get a better draft slot if we lose but my heart says no way do I want to get beat by the steelers - anybody else and maybe but not the steelers.

Overall this team is on the verge. like KC last year, we need a competent Qb. I really believe their success this year comes from the acquisition of Alex Smith much more than the hiring of Andy Reid. Look at how we did with Hoyer. He was a competent Qb and we won all the games he started. Campbell, almost a competent Qb and we almost win. Weeden, incompetent and we don't have a chance with him at the helm.

With a guy like Hoyer or Josh McCown this team is 8-8 or 9-7 and fighting for a playoff spot. Possibly better if we get the momentum going. Get a good Qb and we could be a very good team. Of course that brings us back full circle to how do you get a good Qb?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
This is awesome... I voted for them players hardcore.

Hopefully this gives them the "excitement" for wanting to come into next season and bust their butts. Enjoy sippin' the cocktails in Hawaii guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Video of Josh Gordon and Haden's reaction when finding out they were selected:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...86-c16fd2ba4935

Nothing crazy but the smile on Haden's face is awesome. Congrats Joe!

Legend
Legend

Happy, happy, happy. hats off!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I agree. I don't *think* we have a shot in hell to win this one, but it would be just like us to do it. Go Browns!

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

6 Pro Bowlers?

This confirms that we have a handful of talented players but that doesn't equate to overall team talent.

Sure, it's great that we can point to a popularity contest and say for the first time in years we actually have a core of decent players to build upon, but if we don't get our draft picks right and our free agents right, we're still not going to be up to snuff even in our own division, let alone the rest of the league.

Outside of these players, our collective talent falls below the rest of the league.

As noted before, we aren't far away from being on-par in the overall talent category, but if we don't hit on most of our moves this off-season we're not going to be a winner next year.

Good for these guys to make it, though. Mack has been under-rated for several years by many posters and Thomas remains the best LT in the league. If we can get a TE to pair with Cameron who can actually fight through a paper bag we'll have a solid 1-2 punch. I'd also note that while Haden isn't perfect he's also taken way too much abuse from fans around here. People seem to think that if you're taken in the top-10 of a draft that you somehow need to become Deon Sanders. In a league that's geared to give offensive players every conceivable advantage the odds of a Derrelle Revis coming along are one-in-a-hundred. Sure, Haden gets beaten at times but he's a solid player.

I'm glad we've sent some guys to the pro-bowl. Now we get to see if we can get the next 5 or 6 starters to get us to the point where we can compete for a division title.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
This means more than having those guys go in 2007 Back then we had had a good season, but this time, we didn't.

I'd like to think that we've improved....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Of course it is no coincidence that when the Browns have gotten a good game from the quarterback position they have done alright.

Management has put forth their agenda: Defense is based upon rushing the passer. Offense must have a top level quarterback in order to compete.

It is clear beyond doubt that this off season will define this owner and his management team. The Browns have to find a quarterback. Hoyer is a fall back. What he does is provide a little cushion but is not perceived as the answer.

Free agency and the draft will either move this team a significant step forward or will set them back for years. They have to go into next year with a plan in place from the quarterback position. Meaning options that can win games. Hoyer could start. They should be grooming their future. Campbell is a swing guy. They must improve the running game. Their passing offense has to include more options at wideout and TE.

The defense is in decent shape. They need the players they have to improve and add guys to challenge and provide depth.

The no question reality is players can be added to fill in areas of need. The quarterback decisions will either make the team a go or no go.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I'm feeling a bit conflicted about this. I'm happy that we have 6 guys representing the franchise for the Pro Bowl.

4 out of 11 starters from the offense, 2 from "potential" playmakers positions. Yet, our offense was one of the worst in the league. Instead of celebrating the honor, maybe more emphasis should be on why the other 7 guys on that side of the ball weren't considered. We need that TE that can provide plays. We need better play from the LG and RG positions, a true RB and a QB. Hopefully, that core of Pro-Bowlers can set the tone and change the culture.

On the defensive side of the ball, only 2 out of 11. Seems to me that emphasis needs to be placed on the performance of the other 9. I think the FO has a lot of work to do this off season to solidify the Browns as possible contenders.

I guess I am conflicted because I worry that it might be "fool's gold." I sincerely hope that these six players can help the franchise turn the corner. Unfortunately, we will have to wait and see.

But, I definitely with ClemDawg in that they all have their chance tomorrow to start building that legacy. They have the chance to set the tone for next year by coming out and playing like winners against the Steelers. I don't really care about draft position. That day will come regardless. I want to see a win and our players laughing on the sidelines.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

nobody is gonna remember this game.

The players will.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
If we knock the steelers out of the playoffs, it will be remembered by many.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we knock the steelers out of the playoffs, it will be remembered by many.

For a few months until we lose to them again because we don't have a QB that can consistently beat them

Legend
Legend
I honestly don't think you know what type of talent level is needed to win a Super Bowl. Do you think Baltimore was the most talented team in the NFL last year? Look at how "talented" the cowboys are as they've done nothing. You need talent at QB, no doubt.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
*shrug*
I've always caught Hell when I don't toe the company line that we are a solid team. I don't expect that to change because some players win a popularity contest, especially in the tidlewave of the jubilation that "6 of our guys are pro-bowlers."

I maintain that if we got an Alex Smith at QB next year we still wouldn't be a playoff contender with this current talent. We are still lacking in other areas.

Lots of Homerism going on 'round here right now, understandable though it be.

Funny thing is even though I'm optimistic about things going into the off-season, and happy that underappreciated guys like Mack and Haden are receiving recognition, it's still not enough for the masses. *shrug*

Anyone that believes we're a talented enough team for a playoff run should take it up with Pluto as he's noted the same thing.

All this can go away, though, if we hit on most of our shots in this off-season.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

*shrug*
I've always caught Hell when I don't toe the company line that we are a solid team. I don't expect that to change because some players win a popularity contest, especially in the tidlewave of the jubilation that "6 of our guys are pro-bowlers."

I maintain that if we got an Alex Smith at QB next year we still wouldn't be a playoff contender with this current talent. We are still lacking in other areas.

Lots of Homerism going on 'round here right now, understandable though it be.

Funny thing is even though I'm optimistic about things going into the off-season, it's still not enough for the masses. *shrug*

U consider me a homer??? ... *LOL* ...

and I firmly believe we can win with what we have now with decent qb play (and no ... not Alex Smith .. the Chefs win despite of him .. *L*) ....

I think we have a roster right now we can with with and be right there with anyone ... crap bro ... say what u want ... we had NE beat ... they were done ... we lost ... my point is with decent QB play that game we should have beat the 2nd seed in the afc ...

so how far off can we really be ....

and I think we have decent talent outside of the 5 pro bowlers and the alternate ... ....

Taylor ... Sheard (is he in a contract year or does he have one more year .. ) ,... DQ has some faults but u can win with him .. hes a positive on this team ... Mingo has some skills and can do some things ... kruger is no stud and we way overpaid for him but hes by no stretch of the imagination a bum ... Skrine can cover ... perfect slot cb ...

naaaa ... I couldn't agree with u less on the talent here bro ... a QB would go a long ass way in making a lot of these guys look better ... and our D can be OUTSTANDING with what we have now ... and that's with some major weakness in the secondary and a minor whole at inside LBer ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree Diam. We can look at our roster and I see players all over the board that could start for good teams in this league. The missing ingredient has been at QB. We just havent had good enough play out of the position. If we can finally get that, this team can win.

Other than QB, each side of the ball might need a couple of upgrades to become a really good team. On D a backer and nice 2nd corner. On O either another receiver across from Gordon or a back, and a guard. Even if people want to say we need 4 positions on O...all mentioned and another guard, those are fairly easy positions to fill. None really require a 1st round pick. Good backs and guards are taken in rounds 2-3 every year. A nice 2nd option at receiver as well.

We don't have that much ground to make up once we find a QB who can consistently give us solid play. The guy doesn't even have to be a superstar. I break the QB position down in to thirds....the top ten guys are guys who can make you solid winner. The next 10 are decent players who will help win games but aren't the type of player you want to fill the position for the next 8 years. Then you have the other guys. Clearly weak, but as it works out, all teams need to start a QB so they get the nod. Some are fairly decent but are really nothing more than a solid back-up player. Some just stink. If the league was smaller, they would be hard pressed to be called a decent back-up player, let alone a good back-up. They probably wouldn't even be in the league.

We need a top 10 player at the position. As it stands, Weeden sucks and really needs another shot with another team if he is ever going to be good enough to be a decent back-up type player. Campbell is a solid to good back-up QB, and Hoyer....who knows?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
I agree. With more consistent QB play, this team is completely different. With talent we have here (as evidence of the Pro Bowl nods) validates that IMO. It is partly a popularity contest with 1/3 voting from the fans, however, the remaining 2/3 come from players/coaches-- I think that goes a long way to truly determining where the best talent lies. Do they get it right all the time? No, but those who get the nod are universally considered some of the best players in the league at their positions. We have five, possibly six going.

Still some positions need fine tuning and this regime couldn't fix everything all in one year. Furthermore they didn't purge and start over with the talent already here. In fact, in some respects, you can say they just continued with the game plan minus being more active in FA from what we saw from the prior regime.

Changes in scheme, primarily defensive, may or already have altered what they want to do but in any event many legitimate pieces are already in place to build upon---just not the QB position.

FYI- Jabaal Sheard is a FA in 2015. Same with Taylor....and Haden.....and Cameron...and Gipson....and Skrine.....and Rubin...

2015 may be even more challenging than this upcoming 2014 when it comes to re-signing players we choose to pursue.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's why we need to get a few of them extended now. It makes no sense to give up cap dollars when you know you have a logjam a year or two down the road.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Thomas, Mack, Gordon, Cameron, & Haden make Pro Bowl

Link Copied to Clipboard