Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
M
Legend
Legend
M
Cleveland Browns players unhappy with turnover

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski was fired Sunday night after one season in Cleveland. When news leaked of Chud's possible dismissal earlier in the day, Browns players were not enthused.

"It's just absurd to me that a report would be out like that, about a good coach like that. It's crazy, and that (ticked) me off when I heard that," Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said Sunday afternoon, via The Associated Press.

"We are so dysfunctional," one Browns player told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver on Sunday. "These billionaires need to pick somebody and stay with them. These aren't girlfriends. You can't dump them if they (fail to please you) one time."

"I'm on the wrong bus and very happy I don't have to sit on bus (No. 1, with Chudzinski) in awkwardness," another member of the team told Silver.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said, via a team source, that the Browns' front office believed the club was getting worse every week.

"More time wasn't going to help," said the source.

The front office and eventual head coach will have some smoothing over to do with veterans when the team reconvenes this offseason.

"You look at the great franchises," Browns left tackle Joe Thomas told the Akron Beacon Journal, "they don't fire your coach after the first season. You can't do it."

It's especially painful for longtime Cleveland players who have watched the ultra-consistent Steelers, Ravens and Bengals reach the playoffs for years on end, while the Browns -- once again -- can't get out of their own way.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...y-with-turnover

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
any idea on what time the presser is today, memphis?

i'd like to watch that in its entirety.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
12:30pm

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I haven't heard many players really complaining about this firing. It's the same quotes over and over.

A few weeks ago, a poster sent me an Insider report that stated the players were blaming the coaches for the losing. They were complaining about all kinds of things that the coaches were doing.

It made me mad to read that at the time and it is making me mad to hear the players complain now.

My advice to the players. Play harder. Win some games. Stop complaining about things you can't control.

This team quit down the stretch. Quit!!! Some were blaming the coaching staff for the losses. Now others are blaming the FO.

Pffftttttttttttt..............the Browns need to change the culture. Not sure how they are going to do it, but we have to get rid of the cancers.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Pffftttttttttttt..............the Browns need to change the culture. Not sure how they are going to do it, but we have to get rid of the cancers.

Well apparently, the Browns feel they just did. And I am sure more is to come.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Your not worried about Banner? ... Who would u be worried about then?

Haslam.

I think Banner is very smart. I think he will work harder than others to make this team a winner.

Now, back to Haslam. I'm upset because he freaking lied. He said that while he was in Pittsburgh, he learned that continuity was extremely important. He spoke of not firing guys and sticking w/the plan.

Bro, you know I hated Junior. I hated that wimp because he never had the fortitude to stick w/a plan. I thought Haslam was going to be different. He said he was going to be different.

Recently, I read one of those Insider reports that said Haslam was furious over the team's late-season performance and that heads were going to roll. I didn't think too much of it because those reports are hit and miss AND Haslam said he believed in continuity. I didn't think he could possibly be as dumb as Junior.

Well, nothing has changed. If Chud is really that much of a dud, why the heck did they hire him in the first place? If he was a good candidate, why not stay the course?

Freaking Browns.

M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c....

Albert Breer of the NFL Network reporting that a rift between Chud and the FO began several weeks ago when Chud was told to cut at least one player (presumably) Greg Little to send a message to the team and demand accountability. He went on to suggest the FO wanted him to agree to cut Weeden as well with the thought Chud gave him too many chances. Chud refused to cut these players, obviously. The divide was set between the FO and Chud after that, allegedly.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Mary Kay Cabot is pretty much saying the same thing.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
There are also reports out there that say the players were ready to start a mutiny and that's why Chud is gone.

I don't know what the real reason or reasons are, but it's the same old crap. Other teams are going to the playoffs and we are looking for a new head coach.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

There are also reports out there that say the players were ready to start a mutiny and that's why Chud is gone.

I don't know what the real reason or reasons are, but it's the same old crap. Other teams are going to the playoffs and we are looking for a new head coach.

and new QB...

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Chud probably should have done that...That being said the Browns made a mistake in only giving him one year unless they have a coach who is clearly better who they will bring in.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The thing that bothers me is that they deliberately leaked the firing DURING the game....then saying "No Comment" also DURING the game. Chud finds out from other avenues of information and has to demand a meeting that very night just to get it over with.

This is just like Richardson hearing he got traded from a friend calling him.

Regardless of they're right or wrong about this firing, the way they have been doing these moves is absolutely cowardly and unprofessional. What coach or players want to come here after witnessing what has transpired over the past 12 months.

For me, this is an indictment on the character of Haslem, Banner, and Lombardi. Sorry, but it is.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was initially shocked by the move like I was shocked by the Richardson trade, but at the end of the day what do we lose? An attacking defense that doesn't attack and allows opposing offenses to score at will? An uninspired, outdated offense that can't convert a third down or score from the red zone? An uninspiring coach who lost 10 of 11 games and allowed the team to spiral out of control after the bye week and lose every 4th quarter lead we had?

The team is a mess, the organization is completely screwed up, but this move isn't the worst thing that could have happened. I have very little interest in this team as things stand right now, but the team, situation and culture (almost) certainly can't get any worse.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If true, that's exactly why I feared this kind of "consensus" thingy. FO talking into Coache's job and vice versa…not good. Everybody should know their job and held accountable for it. So when the consenus could not settle on a group decision they decided to cut the one that disagrees? So if you can't find a consensus, you force one by getting rid of the one disagreeing….Nice consensus lol

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
Legend
Legend
M
Jc:

From Peter King's MMQB:

• A totally Brownsian firing. Can you imagine what it must have been like to be lifelong Browns fan and 2013 Browns coach Rob Chudzinski Sunday night around 9, getting blindsided by the rumors of your firing after the last game of the season in Pittsburgh, wondering on the two-hour bus ride home if they could possibly be true, and then listening to club president Joe Banner destroy your dream, dismissing you after just 352 days of a four-year contract? I can’t imagine a more unexpected and brutal way to go. I told the news to one of the stalwart Browns, linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, at 9:55 Sunday night. “We fired Chud? Are you kidding me?” he said, stunned. Wish I was.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/30/aaron-rodgers-rob-chudzinski-monday-morning-quarterback/

Tackles are tackles.
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Quote:

The problem is, I'm more inclined to believe Joe and DQ, the captains of the offense and defense respectively, who are on tape voicing their support for Chud, than I am to believe some random message board poster citing an insider article with vague details that I haven't seen with my own two eyes. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

You're not going to get a team mutiny without Joe and DQ, they are way too respected in the locker room for that to happen.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
NRTU

Leslie fired

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Browns made decision to fire Rob Chudzinski before Sunday's game in Pittsburgh

The firing of Browns first-year coach Rob Chudzinski blindsided the players, media and fans on Sunday night.

But like the trade of running back Trent Richardson in September – the first defining moment of this regime -- the decision was discussed at length internally and was made with conviction. In the end, neither Chudzinski nor his coordinators were as stunned as everyone else.

Sources inside the organization told ESPN Cleveland that owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner arrived at the decision prior to Sunday’s 20-7 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Nothing that happened in the game was going to save Chudzinski’s job, a source confirmed.

As late as November, Banner was singing the praises of Chudzinski for keeping the team together during a difficult stretch of quarterback injuries and other unforeseen circumstances, such as the Richardson trade.

But as the losses mounted, friction escalated between management and the coaches.

The coaches became unsatisfied with the front office’s response to holes in the roster. For example, management wanted to blend in more younger players and expected the coaches to get them up to speed. When the toll of additional injuries taxed the roster, Chudzinski was expected to win with a threadbare roster.

A case in point was the quick de-activation of cornerback Chris Owens on injured reserve to give playing time to rookie draft pick Leon McFadden, whom the coaches had buried on the bench. Owens later asked for his release once he was medically cleared from a knee injury and was signed by the Miami Dolphins.

There were disagreements between Chudzinski and General Manager Mike Lombardi, though Banner regarded them as healthy and not out of line.

Other smaller issues arose. At one point, Chudzinski was urged by Banner to “shake up” the locker room by cutting wide receiver Greg Little or guard Shawn Lauvao. Chudzinski declined, and that was interpreted as Chudzinski not holding players accountable for their failings.

In recent weeks, a disagreement arose about a future role for receivers coach Scott Turner, the son of coordinator Norv Turner. Chudzinski, a source said, wanted to switch Turner to running backs coach. Norv Turner objected and the brushfire became another strike against Chudzinski.

Ultimately, the reasoning behind the dismissal was summed up in the following sentence from the team’s official statement announcing the firing at 9:35 Sunday night:

“We needed to see development and improvement as the season evolved and, unfortunately, we took a concerning step backward in the second half of the year.”

The losses – seven in a row, nine out of the last 10 and 12 overall – reduced Chudzinski’s credibility to almost zero. Haslam, said one source, was furious with the loss to the New York Jets. He felt the players quit on the coach that afternoon.

“The team not only didn’t improve, it got worse,” said an organization source. “That’s very unusual for a first-year coach and staff.”

The fact that every first-year staff in the NFL had a better record than the Browns – Jacksonville’s was the same 4-12 and included a win in Cleveland – was a death blow to Chudzinski’s tenure.

The bad PR stemming from firing a coach after only one season did not faze Haslam and Banner.

When they explain their decision at a press conference Monday, they will recite recent examples of coaches being one and done -- seven since 2000 -- most recently Jacksonville’s Mike Mularkey after a 2-14 season in 2012, Oakland’s Hue Jackson after 8-8 in 2011 and Seattle’s Jim Mora after 5-11 in 2009.

Before the firing became official, team leaders, such as Joe Thomas and D’Qwell Jackson, reacted angrily to questions about Chudzinski’s future after the game. An organization source said player reaction was “a concern,” but that the new coach would be tasked with reinstalling confidence and unity.

As for potential successors, Penn State’s Bill O’Brien and New England assistant Josh McDaniels have been mentioned in several media quarters. Both have strong associations with Lombardi, who was extremely influential in last year’s search despite not being officially introduced to the media until eight days after Chudzinski was named coach.

O’Brien was interviewed by the Browns in January, which helped him receive a new contract from Penn State. O’Brien is considered a favorite for the vacancy with the Houston Texans, but the team has said it will interview other candidates.

The Browns have to comply with NFL rules by interviewing a minority candidate. It’s possible that defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who auditioned for head coach last year, will receive another interview to comply with the rule.

Otherwise, it is expected that Chudzinski’s assistant staff will be released after exit interviews Monday morning.

How will Haslam and Banner deal with fan outrage over the quick hook given to Chudzinski while they profess to favor continuity and stability?

One clue was contained in the team’s official statement on Chudzinski’s firing.

In part it read: "Our fans deserve to see a consistently competitive team. We have high standards, and there's an urgency for success. When we believed we were not positioned to achieve significant progress in 2014, we knew we had to admit that a change was needed, and move forward.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=27121

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

NRTU

Leslie fired

No surprise there... I'm still shocked that chud is out... But it sounds like it was more clashing with other coaches and members of the FO that got him fired rather than the win loss record

<><

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
So I have to ask...

Does this type of interplay ....suggestions made to the coach on how to handle his roster ...happen on other teams as well? But since other teams win it is no big deal?

Because it sure seemed that the FO was stepping on Chuds toes and interfering with his job.

The thing I was really surprised to hear was a potential rift between Chud and Turner.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

For me, this is an indictment on the character of Haslem, Banner, and Lombardi. Sorry, but it is.

Not sure this is a national perception, though.

Here is a quote from Gil Brandt. You can find the entire article in the College Football thread. Last page.

Quote:

This is a well-run organization that has the money ($40 million in cap space) and the ammunition with all of those draft picks.

So, I don't know how hard it will be to attract coaches or players.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Sounds like Turner and Horton are going to be let go as well. So we bring in another all new coaching staff next year and they finish 4-12....I guess we should let them go as well and keep on plugging in a new coach and new offensive and defensive coordinators until "progress" is made?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, the reports are suggesting the same things I concluded out of this mess.

FO talking into Coache's terrain, asking Chud to fire certain players "to show" accountability. Guess Chud went over a line asking THEM for accountability when pointing at the depth chart, like: Hey LomBanner, if you want me to cut Little or Lauvao or Owens, maybe give me better talent to work with behind them than Tyms or Cousins/Gilkey or McFadden/Posey

Chud wanted to put his team in the best possible situation to win games, he's a coach. That was his priority.

LomBanner wanted to throw around "messages" of fear by bullwhipping players, either because they're vain idiots or because they really thought it would "change the culture". You can guess whatever their priorities are, but it looks a lot like they're all about "appearance"…at all cost

So ugly….

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
This latest Browns move is almost incomprehensible. Haslam and Banner came into town preaching the importance of continuity. They hire the guy they made the decision on. Not like Mangini with Holmgren.

What kind of table does this set for the next guy. "We are starting a new culture about winning and we believe that continuity is the key". The hypocrisy just drips off the page.

This just rings of some kind of personal thing. Given the circumstances that made the team what it was this season what did Haslam and Banner expect? They played with 3 quarterbacks and had no running game. Take Aaron Rodgers off Green Bay or the starting quarterback off any team and what do the results look like.

Looking at this team from the outside ( not as a Browns fan or someone from Cleveland) it reeks of dysfunction. You got a owner staring at a Federal rap sheet. Banner who did not come up through football ranks in regards to scouting and player evaluation. Lombardi who's record as a personnel man is questionable. Does not really look like a formula for success.

This move on top of another 4 win season feels like barf stuck in your throat.

Have no idea how this latest move can be seen as a step in the right direction or helping the team move toward success.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

I said this when Tom Heckert was let go last year: Get ready for a really bad stretch of football.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

J/C

I said this when Tom Heckert was let go last year: Get ready for a really bad stretch of football.

Because we were in such a good run of football...

Crap is gonna smell, no matter who is doing it.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

J/C

Because we were in such a good run of football...

thats what people are missing

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

J/C

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Well, the reports are suggesting the same things I concluded out of this mess.

FO talking into Coache's terrain, asking Chud to fire certain players "to show" accountability. Guess Chud went over a line asking THEM for accountability when pointing at the depth chart, like: Hey LomBanner, if you want me to cut Little or Lauvao or Owens, maybe give me better talent to work with behind them than Tyms or Cousins/Gilkey or McFadden/Posey

Chud wanted to put his team in the best possible situation to win games, he's a coach. That was his priority.

LomBanner wanted to throw around "messages" of fear by bullwhipping players, either because they're vain idiots or because they really thought it would "change the culture". You can guess whatever their priorities are, but it looks a lot like they're all about "appearance"…at all cost

So ugly….

This is pretty scary.

I've read so many concerning things recently that make all players in this saga look bad ...from Chud all the way up.

The most recent is that Banner has created such a toxic environment that the coaches and players have felt for most of the season that its a "us vs them" mentality.

Why on earth would anyone want to be a part of that?

But Jimmy apparently loves him some Banner. And Jimmy appears to be just as much of an idiot.

Maybe this is what the NFL wanted ....continued dysfunction in Cleveland.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J/C

haha come on Bro, this is a roster full of his players....

Legend
Legend
Chris Mortensen just reported that Chud is getting 10.5 million to walk.

He's set for life if he wants to be. Not too bad for a one year gig.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

J/C

And 4 out of the 6 are pro bowlers that he drafted. None of the guys the new FO brought in even came close.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
j/c

1) I forced myself to be optimistic this year and give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I feel I can safely eat crow. What a bunch of buffoons.

2) I'm not mad that Chud was fired because of who he is, I'm mad he was fired because of the situation. Was he the greatest coach in the world? Nope. You see a team like Jacksonville play hard through the end of the season and you see our team crap the bed. Gotta hold Chud accountable for that.

3) My problem is that, at the beginning of the year, they talked about "consensus", that nothing would be done unless everyone agreed. Then, they tell Chud to cut players, Chud refuses, so they punish him? That doesn't sound like "consensus." That sounds like all the stuff about Banner being a jerk and Lombardi being a goof are true.

4) And cutting a guy to send a message? If they cut Lauvao, would Schwartz suddenly begin playing better? If they cut Weeden, would Campbell suddenly start playing better? I can see failure to hold guys accountable for off the field stuff. But if a guy stinks on the field, you don't just cut him, IMO.

So frustrating...

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

J/C

And 4 out of the 6 are pro bowlers that he drafted. None of the guys the new FO brought in even came close.

Pro Bowl players on a team that hasn't won more than 5 games since they've been here. Tell me more about how he set us up for greatness.

Come on man, throwing out Pro Bowl players is just garbage. We probably have more than the Jets and they have 8 wins, not 4. Pro Bowls are a consolation prize for garbage teams that don't make the playoffs. Losely based off Fantasy Football and Fan voting both of which I could absolutely not care less about.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

J/C

Pro Bowl players on a team that hasn't won more than 5 games since they've been here. Tell me more about how he set us up for greatness.

Come on man, throwing out Pro Bowl players is just garbage. We probably have more than the Jets and they have 8 wins, not 4. Pro Bowls are a consolation prize for garbage teams that don't make the playoffs. Losely based off Fantasy Football and Fan voting both of which I could absolutely not care less about.

True. I just pointed it out cause it at least shows we have some talent.

Honestly , you're right. It doesn't even matter at this point.

- Theodore Roosevelt
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

J/C

True. I just pointed it out cause it at least shows we have some talent.

Honestly , you're right. It doesn't even matter at this point.

Yeah, I'm just frustrated. I get a lot of my family arguing with me about how much "Talent" we have and they just can't understand my "So what?" pessimism.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. I think these guys are bafoons, but so were Holmgren and Heckert. I can remember watching every FO since rebirth stink, and can pretty much point you to a particular incident that let me know these guys weren't the answer. For H/H it was holding onto Mangini, and then sealing it with the last draft that was utter crap. I wanted to believe in these guys, but this kills it.

I have no problem firing Chud as some of things that have been mentioned (team didn't improve, they quit..etc) are pretty accurate. The problem is Jimmy and Banner were all over Chud's nuts as the next "Big Thing" a year ago.............utter incompetence.

In reality, Chud was there 3rd choice, because the other guys said no. They were so arrogantly sure that they would get Kelly/BO'b that they were stunned when they were turned down. Now these same arrogant goofs think that this time will be different and they can persuade BO'b to come to this mess.

I hope they are right and get BO'b, because he is the best coaching prospect we have had since Butch (and Butch could coach he just needed a GM). The problem is we will get stuck with McDaniels who is an utter clown.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The NFL wants a team in Cleveland, and they want it to be a successful team. That's why they worked so hard to put together the Haslam deal, and why they were so horrifies when the rebate crap came out at Pilot/Flying J.

The Browns are a cornerstone franchise. They want us to be successful. It's good for the NFL. Unfortunately, it seems like things may have backfired.

Was that supposed to be in purple?

No. This is very true. The NFL considers it a shame that a cornerstone franchise has been so bad for so long. Once Lerner was considering selling the team, they wanted to find a solid buyer. That's why they put Lerner and Haslam together. Haslam was a minority owner in a franchise that has done it right for a very long time. That's why they were so enthusiastic to have him buy the team.

Of course, then the crapstorm started as soon as Haslam closed the deal ........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have read almost everything on Chud's firing, and have not come across anything like this. Can you link to it for me?

Thanks.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Your not worried about Banner? ... Who would u be worried about then?

Haslam.

I think Banner is very smart. I think he will work harder than others to make this team a winner.

Now, back to Haslam. I'm upset because he freaking lied. He said that while he was in Pittsburgh, he learned that continuity was extremely important. He spoke of not firing guys and sticking w/the plan.

Bro, you know I hated Junior. I hated that wimp because he never had the fortitude to stick w/a plan. I thought Haslam was going to be different. He said he was going to be different.

Recently, I read one of those Insider reports that said Haslam was furious over the team's late-season performance and that heads were going to roll. I didn't think too much of it because those reports are hit and miss AND Haslam said he believed in continuity. I didn't think he could possibly be as dumb as Junior.

Well, nothing has changed. If Chud is really that much of a dud, why the heck did they hire him in the first place? If he was a good candidate, why not stay the course?

Freaking Browns.

My only concern with blaming Haslem for this whole ordeal is that Banner repeatedly stated everything would be a consensus decision. I find it hard to believe this is all on Haslem. Especially reading reports on how there was a rift between the FO and Chud regarding cutting certain players as a sign accountability.

Wrong or right in Chud being fired, I just have a hard time laying the blame on Haslem alone. What concerns me most is 11 months ago these folks were tellings us what a great hire Chud was and how everyone was on the same page, yada yada and it is proven to be dysfunctional. And now I'm supposed to be believe this get it right this time?

They will have a complete and total disaster and possibly unrecoverable mess on their hands if the Browns go 4-12 or 5-11 next year.

Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Report: Browns HC Rob Chudzinski’s Future In Doubt

Link Copied to Clipboard