Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#835456 12/29/13 10:42 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
This is one of the new regime's new commandments.

And one of their biggest problems I think. They love to be "Bold", honey badger style, see TRich trade, Chud firing etc.

But what kind of argument is it? Does it lead to winning? Where's the connection? To me this reeks of out-smarting ways. We are much more clever than other's, even if we're in the minority. Basically, they first commandment boils down to "we are gods". Only insecure and clueless people have to go out and say it to the world.

I think its a delusional, elitist thinking that has no grounding whatsoever. I mean, what have these guys done before that they act as if they've been to this "bold greatness" before?
The last guy in Berea who itched the same symptoms was Eric Mangini. There are a lot of similarities. A lot of two faced talking and hypocrisy. Actions not meeting words and a slavish worshipping of everything Bellichick/Patriots (Mallett, McDaniels pimping). I'm very concerned by this and would like to hear your take on this and their other debatable "commandments" they threw against the walls in order to "change the culture". Do words change a culture? Do they know that actions must meet those words to make it "reality" or do they think it's enough to just shout it out there and play Cesars "thumb up/thumb down" when its judgement day? What kind of culture is it? Words are cheap...

Discuss

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
i have a crap feeling...

a half or more of our 6 pro bowlers are gonna be gone in 2014.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
These guys will soar or drown.

I'm still not sure which, but there won't be any middle ground.

Would you be shocked if Horton gets hired?

I doubt it, but this is a weird scenario

PDR #835459 12/29/13 10:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

that would . me off. they fired chud, and hired horton? he's directly responsible for this crap defense these last 6 games.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #835460 12/29/13 10:52 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am at home. Where are you?

Dude, why the heck am I in your sig? You freak me out at times.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am at home. Where are you?

Dude, why the heck am I in your sig? You freak me out at times.

calling you out, brah. normally i wouldn't care, but you insulted anybody who didn't support this FO.

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Legend
Legend
S
They can talk about being bold, but they better have a deal in place with some A+ candidate or this whole thing is going to end up getting everyone under Jimmy canned.

They cannot just do some BS search where they go and just "pick the best guy" or sit around and wish that Chip Kelly agrees.

Bill Cowher, David Shaw, Nick Saban. Top shelf candidates.

Considering Saban just got a fat raise, and David Shaw has repeatedly said no, I'd say none of the above are happening.

This is such a hopeless organization, and it's really starting to get to me. No, I'm not jumping ship, but I just seem to care a little less right now, than I did before.

I'm not going to get excited if it's just another crap hire. Just some coordinator trying to make it. That's not going to work. We keep ignoring the QB position.

The great coaches can get by with mediocre QB play. Harbaugh was minutes from the super bowl with Alex Smith.

Other coaches need their QB or they got nothing.

We have neither.

Legend
Legend
Saban, Cowher, Lovie Smith, Gruden, and MAYBE shanahan.

anybody else will be a serious waste of our time.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #835464 12/29/13 10:56 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I insulted them? Really?

Seems to me I tried talking football and it's guys like you who make it personal.

How about this..............why don't we just ignore each other. I don't like you. You don't like me. Let's just ignore each other and save the board this type of crap.

Deal?

Swish #835465 12/29/13 10:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Norv Turner.

I don't see Mack or Ward resigning here.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, I hope Mack does, but if Ward doesn't..............that would be a good thing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He isn't staying either. Dream on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Let's just ignore each other and save the board this type of crap.

Thanks, Vers. Dude is all over the place "calling you out". GMAB

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I politely ask you and others to keep this useless personal venom stuff out of this (and other) threads. It's bad enough as it is.

Btw, Dungy's reaction on air to the firing was an "Oh" shaking his head laughing. Guess he wasn't impressed with this "bold" move?

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I politely ask you and others to keep this useless personal venom stuff out of this (and other) threads. It's bad enough as it is.

Btw, Dungy's reaction on air to the firing was an "Oh" shaking his head laughing. Guess he wasn't impressed with this "bold" move?

Saw that DJ. And I agree.

PDR #835471 12/29/13 11:03 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I called this scenario in another thread.

I don't think it's far fetched in the least.

I'm guessing it is one of their top three scenarios.

Legend
Legend
honestly?

i'm frustrated.

who cares anymore about what we say to each other?

we just got lied to AGAIN but the FO, just like the last one.

why is anything we say worth debating?

we can debate about ward. guess what? it doesn't matter.

we can debate about mingo. guess what? yea....

we can debate about the coaching? nope, we already know what the FO thought about that.

the only thing we can debate about is the direction of the FO, and honestly Vers, no matter what WE think, they are gonna do the opposite, and we are going to be in the basement again.

so its whatever bro. that bet me and you made? even if i end up being right, which now is a STRONG possibility, it doesn't even matter, because, it won't be surprising anymore.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Norv Turner.

If Norv has any backbone, he asks for his papers before the "consensus" approaches him. He's gone anyway. He was Chud's handpicked OC, they were attached to the hip. Only internal option is Horton imho, but I think it'll be someone else

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Let's just ignore each other and save the board this type of crap.

Thanks, Vers. Dude is all over the place "calling you out". GMAB

to be fair... Vers isn't a saint either. I've been calling him out only when he claims that no one replies to him. I reply he ignores it because it proves he is inaccurate on one player. He's right on a lot of stuff. Just not TJ ward.

Which really won't matter because Mack, Cousins, Lava, and Ward will be gone next year. Possibly along with Cundiff

PDR #835475 12/29/13 11:05 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

I would almost view that as a best case scenario. Keeping Horton and Norv would keep the systems in place. Limit player resentment and give us continuity in the face of disaster.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks Michelle. I deserve being called out at times. I typically take the minority opinion. I want to spark debate. But, not hatred.

Swish is the same guy who lambasted me daily about TRich. He kept bringing up stats, such as TRich breaking Jim Brown's record and saying I was just a hater.

We saw how that turned out.

I will apologize for being antagonistic right now. I know a lot of you don't want to read all this bickering and I am partially at fault for it. I am upset right now. I don't agree w/this firing. We are always spinning our wheels.

With that said, reading through 7 or 8 pages of that one thread made me one to choke the crap out of some of these guys.

Kumbayah.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Norv Turner.

If Norv has any backbone, he asks for his papers before the "consensus" approaches him. He's gone anyway. He was Chud's handpicked OC, they were attached to the hip. Only internal option is Horton imho, but I think it'll be someone else

you think they would go for norv or ray for the job?

i mean...all the reports ended up being true, which meant chud was gone regardless of the outcome of the pitt game, so they HAD to have somebody in mind, right?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I would almost view that as a best case scenario. Keeping Horton and Norv would keep the systems in place. Limit player resentment and give us continuity in the face of disaster.

They could have had either one LAST YEAR!!! Specifically saying we didn't get our man so neither one of those guys can be their man.

Expect the worst guy you think of but hope for the best!

Swish #835479 12/29/13 11:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Norv Turner.

i mean...all the reports ended up being true, which meant chud was gone regardless of the outcome of the pitt game, so they HAD to have somebody in mind, right?

I'd pass on Turner, and Shanny- they are old school NFL. We are in a whole new league that is changing to the Chip Kelly style high powered offense that are constatnly breaking offensive record.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Really????

The guy has me in his sig and you are calling me out? Really?

Let's see DJ..................let's just all agree w/you and it will all be okay.

Get lost.

Legend
Legend
i took it out, dude.

calm down.

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
There is really nothing new school about the Eagles.
Put Nick Foles and McCoy on this team and we would be just as good as the Eagles. Probably better. Our D doesn't give up as many points.
Oh, they do drink top secret Protein shakes.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Swish #835483 12/29/13 11:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Norv Turner.

Been off the grid all day and just saw the firing announced at halftime of the Sunday night game. Wow.

My first thought was that they have to have someone in mind. No idea who but Horton came to mind.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
A BOLD 8am staff meeting has been called with the coaches. I can only guess what that means....

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
What does that mean? Seriously?

M
Legend
Legend
M
It means it's been reported that a 8am staff meeting has been called with the coaches tomorrow. I added BOLD because I didn't know where else to put the info. BOLD keeps with the spirit of the thread.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Do you think they will all be fired? Is that what you are saying?

If that happens...............man.......

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Do you think they will all be fired? Is that what you are saying?

If that happens...............man.......

at this point... I wouldn't be shocked.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Well, It's Black Monday. Their HC has been canned. What else do you think will happen?

Politely, I think they'll encourage coaches to pursue other opportunities while they (the Browns) interview candidates (both internal and external) for open positions-- all while wishing everyone the best luck in their endeavors.

Meanwhile, if there are any coaches the FO really likes, they've already had those conversations behind close doors.

That's my guess.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know what to think. I took Haslam at his word in regards to the continuity thing.

Same old Browns.

Losers.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

A BOLD 8am staff meeting has been called with the coaches. I can only guess what that means....

Pace Thick and Chunky or Diet Dr. Pepper? BOLD!

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
PDR #835492 12/30/13 12:07 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Nothing would shock me with these guys anymore. They ARE bold, that much they've accomplished. But what has that lead to? Their commandments demand greatness everywhere, just like Lombardi's "blue chip" classification when it comes to evaluating player and team talent. It's not only elitist, in my opinion it's incredibly ignorant, as they hung up about a "classification", a "goal" or a "form" (or style) they want to get at, that they miss the "content", the "details", the "meanings" of how to get there. Like a pretender they know how to act and talk like what they want to represent without being it. Hence my delusions of grandeur accusation

You ARE not great by SAYING "we want to be great" or paint it on a wall. That's not a plan, that's stupid. What makes it worse is that it hinders the necessary steps from the basement TO THE heights of greatness. We have to become a WC contender first before we talk about "championship caliber QB" etc, even if it means to sign someone like Cutler to get there first. THAT is the reason WHY we didn't bring in some CLEAR upgrades to OBVIOUS need positions. The consequence is that we start some fringe talent, because those guys seem to think that whatever is under the "blue chip" classification is not differentiated at all. That's simply incredibly FLAWED thinking.

To illustrate my point: think of the CB2 situation: they were dead set on signing Grimes for CB. It was him or nothing at all. He was a great target and would have been indeed a blue chip addition, but there were numerous upgrades to Owens/Skrine on the outside that they overlooked because they didn't consider them in the same class as Grimes, again thinking that there would not be much difference between some UDFA or (former) late rounder or a FA not considered a blue chippper. That's NOT how you build a team and on top of that it's an incredibly FLAWED logic, as the majority of NFL players aren't blue chippers, there IS indeed a difference between them too and that's a FO work too, instead they think they can count the greatness of a team by counting blue chippers and all others are just puppet players. The highlight of that superficiality of this "classification" is that Lombardi didn't consider JJ Watt a blue chipper when he was in the draft. This approach "acts" as if it has an "elevated" content compared to other logics, but actually ends up having even MORE problems regarding content because of its ignorance and lack of differentiation. It's black and white.

You're either "championship" or "not championship". There's no middle ground, so of course you get the feeling it'll either be an epic fail or a huge dynasty. It's a reductionist logic that reminds me more of apes than smart human logic. We've seen this with Grimes, with Chud and many other examples will follow. The consequence is no feeling whatsoever for team chemistry, how to build it etc. Social and soft skills are NON FACTORS in this logic.

Question for you and all others: how many guys do you know that like to talk about how great they are and that ARE actually smart and great? Yeah, guessed so…..my money is on a big, fat fail job. They again act like they're Bellichick without the reputation for players and fans to buy into it.

But at least they're bold, lol

#gmstrong

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

It's not only elitist, in my opinion it's incredibly ignorant,

Good God!

How about this, DJ................they all suck. Let's fire them all. We have no chance of ever being good because they are ignorant elitists.

Now, will you shut the heck up?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Well said. I think that is a very compelling point-of-view. I'm not sure if it directly correlates to the FO but I could understand why you and possibly others think this way. Let's see if it continues to play out....

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
People are dumbfounded how the Browns have more PBowlers than wins.

I offered an explanation.

It's no secret that Lombardi and Banner think in those terms. They had this oh so smart idea to look at all strong PO teams and counted their "blue chipper", found out that those teams have more than lesser teams and figured "if we get enough of them ourselves, then we'll be great too. They actually said that with a straight face, I'm not making this up. There were numerous articles about that out there when they got hired. That's their PLAN. They ridicule the "value" term when it comes to drafts, they don't believe in difference underneath anything below "championship" and "blue chip" talent.

I think that logic and fact that we have more PBowlers than wins are directly linked as it means the other starters are much worse than other's teams "other/non-blue chip" starters who have a BETTER record and LESS blue chippers. Those positions got neglected and I happen to think it's a big flaw in their "logic", because they think in this reductionist and elitists terms. They put the cart before the horse imho

It makes a lot of sense to me and at least is an argument to understand this discrepancy. If you don't see it, no problem, but please move on.

#gmstrong

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum We will be BOLD.

Link Copied to Clipboard