Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Anyone heard the rumor about Gus MalZOON from AuBARN being targeted by the Three Stooges?

Yeah, it was posted in this thread last night.

Also, can we all please stick to Chud's potential replacements n this thread & discuss him & his firing in the other one pertaining to it?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Good luck with that...

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
My question is important. What are the parameters for Banner's removal or Lombardi's? Promised continuity. Nope. Hope they are shown the same degree of loyalty and honesty. I suspect the fix is in as to new coach (es). Lame.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Every boss I've had that was worth a damn held themselves to the same standards they expected of their employees.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

My question is important. What are the parameters for Banner's removal or Lombardi's? Promised continuity. Nope. Hope they are shown the same degree of loyalty and honesty. I suspect the fix is in as to new coach (es). Lame.

I think the parameters are the same....we better start to show improvements.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
It's a non issue for me. I was just amazed to see a coach's wife so outspoken and negative about her husbands job, college players, and the attention the game gets as she appeared on what looked to be a faith-based talk show...

It's just if she's irritated people would ask for her husbands autograph or place so much emphasis on the game in a college town, she better have a muzzle on her.

No pun intended.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

His wife just happens to be an idiot.

His wife can do whatever she wants as long as her husband is coaching the Browns.

I dont think it will happen. Banner and lombardi are already set with Josh Mcdainels...who is just another coach who left the belicheck comfort zone and failed miserably. Witht eh jim swartz rumors...it makes sense. I think the only reason they are going to try to interview the auburn coach is because they are simply trying to hide the fact that they have already settled on Josh.........bunch of liars......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
D
Legend
Legend
D
I believe Haslam put Banner and Lombardi on notice the other day. He's not a guy thats used to being exposed to that kind of public ridicule (3 Stooges). He did not look like a happy camper. The message Banner and Lombardi should have gotten from him was "get that weak [bleep] outta here."

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I've been reading the Lombardi has strong ties to agent Jimmy Sexton. Jimmy Sexton represents Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Gus Malzhan and James Franklin.

Sexton is also a graduate of the University of Tennessee so I would imagine Haslem and he have ties seeing how big of a booster Haslem was for the football program.

I have visions of the Holmgren/Bob LaMonte disaster all over again.

Same old Browns?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would not be so sure of that.

The alternative scenario is that Haslam made the call to fire Chud, independent of Banner or Lombardi. For all we know they (Banner and Lombardi) may have tried to point out the potential of the negative backlash, but none probably could have guessed the stooges comment and subsequent ridicule.

Either way, Haslam may have figured out by now that his financial success does not translate to respect and decorum in the public arena.

Now Haslam is burdened the fact that in they eyes of the fans, he is part of the continuing problem with his billion dollar team, and not the savior that he may have envisioned for himself.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He Just Won The Rose Bowl....I Wish.Mi

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Words of wisdom from Norv to the 3 stooges:

Turner clearly asked why the staff was told the plan was for a long-term rebuild when the commitment from the front office didn't last a year. Turner also detailed his concern that the coaching staff worked with handicaps given the personnel on the field, the sources said.

I'm sure he spoke for the majority of the staff! Ummm let me answer this one, Cause they are LIARS?

JMHO - watch the one staff member to stay, will be the only guy I thought should be fired TABOR...

U know what tabber .... U struck a HUGE CORD for me here ..... Watch this staff get gobbled up and land with GREAT JOBS right out of the gate and then either MOVE UP or stay at them as long as they want ....

WE HAD A GREAT STAFF .... These guys fired a VERY GOOD STAFF ... not like most of the bozos we've had in the past .... lets back track ...

Jeannie - ... NOT EVEN A SNIFF AT AN INTERVIEW as far as I know .... or did he interview once ... ya ... maybe one .. WOOOHOOOO .... oh wait ... I dunno ... the interview may have been for a DC job ...

great football mind ... no denying that ..... it just didn't carry over into coaching ... don't really matter .... he's where he belongs .... in a consulting role ... lending his great mind wherever needed .... sounds like the moron owner of the fish may give him a shot as a gm ..... good luck with that one Miami fans .... *L* ...

Dumbell - QB coach somewhere now???? .... one year as head man at Miami under another IDIOT HC .... now hes back where he belongs ....

Jauron - Not sure ... but hes a good coach ... think hes a position coach somewhere ....

I'm too tired to type out the rest of the BUMS and the fact there no where now ... where is bOtch at???? ...

Naaaa ... this staff will get GOBBLED UP IN A HEARTBEAT .... wow ... this stinks ... THEY SUCKED OUT MY HOPE!!!!

U know what ... sorry .... but calling them the 3 stooges is an INSULT .... its an insult to the three stooges .... we should be so lucky .....

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Again....Schwartz doesn't play a true 4-3. He calls it a wide 9...I think we have the players to play that.

Ah, yes. The Wide 9 where you play 4 defensive linemen and 3 linebackers. How very different from the 4-3.

Sorry for the pretentious snark, but it's my style for better or worse (it's worse).

Also the Eagles ran the Wide 9 a few years ago and it blew up in there face as the OLBs could not contain their gaps against the tackles.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Lovie Smith hired by the Buccaneers

i knew it was gonna happen, but i was really hoping he would get interviewed here.

and thats too bad, because he IS the top coaching hire this off-season. we missed on this one, and instead....

sigh...

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What about Duke head coach David Cutcliffe?

If we want someone who can groom a young Qb …

I absolutely love Cutcliffe.. as a college coach. If he leaves Duke it's going to be for a premier college job, don't see him going to the NFL...which is a good move for him.

I wonder how much we will be able to tell about our draft by our HC selection. There are a number of good spread offense coaches in college that I think we will talk to, which makes taking a guy like Manziel a little more likely... or a guy live Seattle's OC... it will be interesting. I can honestly say I don't have a favorite for HC just yet.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Meh, people here hated Bruce Arians, and ripped me over the fact that I thought he was a very good coach back when he worked for us, and he now has the looks of being a great head coach.

You missed Mangini's defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan. He was immediately hired by the Cowboys, improved their defense, then was fired, and immediately hired by the Saints. The 'Boys defense went in the toilet this year, while the Saints improved greatly.

We also had Carl Smith, who has been working with a certain short QB tearing things up in Seattle ....... Gary Brown, who was retained here, then went to the Cowboys last year ...... George Warthop, who was also retained by not one, but 2 Browns regimes ...... Bryan Cox, who went to Miami, then on to work with the Bucs for a couple of years as "front 7 coach" ...... Jerome Henderson went to Dallas with Ryan, and stayed after he was fired because the 'Boys liked him as a DB coach .....

Oh, and we also had Brad seeley. He's pretty good too, from what I have heard.

Very few coaching staffs are great from top to bottom. I do agree that this staff is exceptionally talented, especially at the coordinator position ....... but that doesn't mean that previous staffs necessarily sucked.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Obviously there is something going on with McDaniels.

If they bring in Mallet, that could be the thing (after over 50 years) that finally sends me over the edge. Im not sure I could get over it.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Is mallet a hot head or something?

I know very little of him.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. We had a nice staff this year, but not so much better than previous years, and not so much better than the staff that will be assembled over the next month or two.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I've been reading the Lombardi has strong ties to agent Jimmy Sexton. Jimmy Sexton represents Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Gus Malzhan and James Franklin.

Sexton is also a graduate of the University of Tennessee so I would imagine Haslem and he have ties seeing how big of a booster Haslem was for the football program.

I have visions of the Holmgren/Bob LaMonte disaster all over again.

Same old Browns?

It appears so. But realistically speaking, it's human nature and I don't have much of a problem with that...as long as it works out OK.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Every boss I've had that was worth a damn held themselves to the same standards they expected of their employees.

Then consider yourself extremely fortunate...and in the minority.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree. We had a nice staff this year, but not so much better than previous years, and not so much better than the staff that will be assembled over the next month or two.

I can't say that.

I really liked this year's staff, because the strength was in the coordinators. With Mangini, he did have an experienced DC, but a 1st time OC. He also had some younger assistants who turned out to be longer term assistants in the NFL.

Chud went for very experienced coordinators. We knew what these coaches brought to the game. They also brought along some very good position coaches.

One huge difference between the 2 staffs is that Mangini's staff wasn't tole that their were on a long term deal, trying to build a team over time, and Chud's staff (and he, himself) were. Chud was told that the team wasn't going to be the same old Browns, making rash decisions, and not allowing players to grow. Further, the front office made decisions, pushing assets into the future, indicating that this was not the year to be competitive, but rather to develop players. He, and his staff, did develop players. When a staff develops players, it doesn't mean that everyone improved a great deal. Usually there is a talent base that follows a normal progression, and a player or 2 makes a big jump. We had, at least,5 guys make a huge jump forward. (Gordon, Cameron, Haden, Skrine, and Gipson) That's a strong year of player development.

I guess when I responded to Diam, I was just being a little contrary. People berate Mangini's staff, but he has assistants that he hired who stayed here on Shurmur's staff, and again were also a part of Chud's staff. He hired some solid assistants.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

His wife just happens to be an idiot.

Then I guess it's a good thing she's not getting hired right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would disagree here. The results weren't any better than any other year by most any other coach we've had, but this was a really solid group of minds running things.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Chud was also the guy who didn't give Rainey the time of day

???
First two games...yes, Trent got all the rushing reps and Ogb was in there on passing downs.

3rd game w/ Hoyer at the helm...McGahee got the bulk of the rushes and next came Rainey who caught 1 pass - 4rushes 17 yds...I know we lost that game cause we didn't utilize Rainey more...oh wait we won...

4th game w/Hoyer again. Same deal Rainey was 2nd in rushing reps 6rushes for 9 yards. 2 caught passes...oh yea of course we won that game despite under using Rainey according to you that was a big reason of us losing right???

Game 5...McGahee had his best game Hoyer got the start Weeden finished with probably his best managing game. Not counting Weeden's scrambles Rainey got the the rushes that McGahee didn't 2 rushes 8 yards and 1 pass for -5. Again would this be the game that Chud should be chastised? As we of couse won it also.

Game 6 he had one rush for -0- yards...and pulled his Groin...he was to be out a couple of weeks....Chud asked Lombardi for a backup runner. he didn't tell Lombardi how to make roster room - Lombardi went out and got Fozzy who was on the Chargers Practice Squad n released Rainey....How is this all Chuds fault???

Yes the team did not finish. I get that...Its a trait of Back Up QBs unless you can pull out a dynamic Running game combined with the D. You pretty much are dead in the water. Our Offense was pass Oriented, it worked from the success of the passing game. You know - how it flowed with Hoyer in there. Oh that run run O n good D did get us the win with Weeden relieving Hoyer after the injury. They also had to go to their backup QB so they had the same finishing problem we did and we prevailed.

But Back up QBs cannot finish games well. That's just the way it is. Also when we would be ahead and great against the run on D...it forced teams to go more spread and expose our lack of depth in the secondary. Which also limited a lot of our blitz packages....we Needed a good cover safety for our Nickel to cover the TE or RB which Robertson was exposed...Thats where the long term by our coaching staff came in. Cause no doubt in my mind and by the words of Turner we were given UDFA after UDFA to get the depth right....if one n done...Again no doubt the staff would have been clamoring for Veteran depth instead.

The only thing worse than making a mistake is having the ego to stick with it.

Ummm thats called stability and if we don't get a QB and we only get 2 games from Hoyer as the starter next season....you don't think the results will be similar??? Somebody is in denial and it ain't me. Reid's 5-11 season...they didn't suck? I guess they were just unlucky. All our veterans thought our preparation and practices were very professional. With Coordinators Turner n Horton do you think we were inept in our preparation...no that is why we did so great the first half cause we were well prepared. Campbell had one decent game in him out of what 7 starts...Weeden only ok game was his relief although his last start was pretty interesting with the Gordon record.

They are sticking with Lombardi....I liked his moves for the "LONG TERM" but it didn't help the season much. Bryant was great. Kruger was just OK not bad not any game changer stuff. Mingo was OK, what Owens? McFadden? Hoyer was brilliant, how much of that was Lombardi or just the results of BB. Just what did he do to help the season....bring in around 20 UDFA or 7th round released players in a round robin search of mud to stick to the wall? Don't you see Chud was made the Scapegoat cause it was the same thing Holmgren did when he fired Mangini and got Shurmur he stated we can't lose watch what we do now....well Haslam and Banner stated basically the same thing. They were embarrassed by the 4-12...and Haslam who isn't as gifted as one might think...reacted the only way he knows how to LEAD...Fire and put fear in all - produce or else.

Look I'll never give up on our Browns...we will reboot probably have more success especially if we get a real QB and/or have Hoyer start the entire season assuming of course he gets the new playbook coming. Cause he's not about his natural ability...he's about knowing the O and executing.

In the Long run "ON PAPER" we are losing just a year. We did cause a lot of damage in the heart of the players. If we get that dynamic HC we can turn them around into the new program....you know how Chud had them all gung ho about the new O n D

I just hope its not a total reboot cause we lost the players then it will be a couple of seasons bringing in the new talent. So year three we will be in the position To build if that is the case.

But I'm done buying into the company line....I've done it year after year. Yeah that's the ticket look Chud was a loser so its good we cut that cancer out now...You really believe that??? And if you don't you it must be because I'm a buddy of Chuds...of course I took that as an insult...read into your post??? How possibly is it not an insult even if you meant it for real? It was insulting cause none of my opinions could possibly have merit as it must be cause I met Chud and became friends why else would I be so UPSET??? Come on Ballpeen.

Mostly I'm upset cause I Believed them....I believed finally we were going to get continuity and stability... Instead we got the LEAST of that EVER in all our 15 years of existence! That is what upsets me the most. Well no more, These guys are mud to me until they prove otherwise. No benefit of the doubt....I am towing their concept now of - HEY THEY THE FO/OWNER SUCKS CAUSE THEY GAVE US 4-12!!!!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The biggest thing this staff had going for it was name recognition... Everybody knew Chud because he had been here before and the whole local boy story... Norv led an ubertalented Cowboys offense to great success then had some succes in San Diego with a pretty talented team... and Ray Horton had a nice resume and had been in line for a HC job for a couple years without landing anything... There is nothing in any of their resumes that screams I'm the next Dick Lebeau or the next Bill Walsh.. but people had heard of them...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The biggest thing this staff had going for it was name recognition... Everybody knew Chud because he had been here before and the whole local boy story... Norv led an ubertalented Cowboys offense to great success then had some succes in San Diego with a pretty talented team... and Ray Horton had a nice resume and had been in line for a HC job for a couple years without landing anything... There is nothing in any of their resumes that screams I'm the next Dick Lebeau or the next Bill Walsh.. but people had heard of them...

Funny because everyone had such an opposite take going into this season.

I'd say if you used that same rational when dissecting this FO, you'd find the coaching staff has a much stronger resume' than the group that fired them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
jc

Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell merit attention over Josh McDaniels

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...-josh-mcdaniels

On the first day of 2014, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers took a page out of the 2013 Kansas City Chiefs' Quick-Fix Playbook, choosing Lovie Smith as the next coach of their talented but underachieving team.

Just as the Chiefs did one year ago in hiring Andy Reid, who subsequently followed up their league-worst 2-14 season in 2012 with an 11-5 playoff campaign, the Bucs went out and got an experienced NFL coach with a strong, Super Bowl-enhanced résumé. Smith, fired by the Chicago Bears after a 10-6 season in 2012, is a true pro who gives Tampa Bay the best chance to reverse the damage of the two-year Greg Schiano nightmare.

When I said Monday that the 2014 Bucs have a great opportunity to be the 2013 Chiefs, I was banking on the Glazer family making such a move. While I'm always in favor of a team finding a future star when filling a coaching opening -- a Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh -- there are times when hiring a so-called retread is understandable, perhaps even preferable.

One such retread, Bill Belichick, has been a revelation the second time around, leading the New England Patriots to five Super Bowls and collecting three rings. Others have enjoyed success in their second (or third) head-coaching gig, and I would expect Smith to join that group. Given the Chiefs' nine-victory improvement this season, I can see why men with prior NFL head-coaching experience are in demand.

Not all retreads, however, are created equal. And when I read reports that former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels might be the leading candidate to fill the Cleveland Browns' opening, I feel like someone has just taken a tire iron to my skull.

McDaniels? Really? This is the guy who, at 32, was hired as the Denver Broncos' coach and given de facto control over all football-related decisions, and proceeded to embark upon a reign of error that can only be described as a fiasco.

First, McDaniels clashed with Jay Cutler, trading his franchise quarterback and beginning a feud with Brandon Marshall that ultimately led to the star receiver's departure. After winning his first six games, McDaniels lost 17 of his next 22, making a string of dubious personnel decisions along the way. He was fired with four games remaining in his second season, in the wake of a cheating scandal that underscored his abrasive and alienating interpersonal style.

NFL coaching shake-up

Latest news:
» Lovie Smith finalizing deal for Bucs' job
» Texans reach agreement with Penn State's O'Brien
» Browns get permission to talk to Pats' McDaniels
» Redskins plan to interview Seahawks' Bevell
» Raiders owner to meet with Allen next week
» Munchak's fate with Titans remains uncertain
» Jerry Jones never considered firing Garrett

Video:
» McClain: O'Brien's top priority for Texans is QB
» Which coach deserved another season?
The following season McDaniels landed in St. Louis, where he managed to make 2010 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Sam Bradford regress mightily while coordinating the league's second-worst attack. Fired by the Rams, he immediately got his old job back in New England, where as offensive coordinator he had the luxury of working under one of the league's most brilliant strategists (Belichick) and calling plays for one of its all-time greatest quarterbacks (Tom Brady). Hey, it's nice work if you can get it. Predictably, the Patriots have been highly prolific during McDaniels' second stint, just as they were during his first stint, and in the years between. (The guy who coordinated the Pats' offense while McDaniels was in Denver and St. Louis, Bill O'Brien, parlayed that sweet gig into the Penn State coaching job and, on Tuesday, a deal to become the head coach of the Houston Texans.)

So if the Browns decide McDaniels is the man to bring stability and continuity to their long-suffering organization, pardon me if I don't drink the Kool-Aid the way so many other football fans and media members seem to when it comes to such matters.

I could spend some time talking about how coaches from the Belichick tree (Eric Mangini, McDaniels, Romeo Crennel) have failed after taking over NFL teams, and why I think autocrats who lack people skills and have yet to establish a legitimate aura of authority (the way Belichick and his mentor, Bill Parcells, already have) are perpetually set up for failure.

Instead, I'll simply say this: If we're going to extend second chances to previously fired NFL head coaches, there are a whole lot of others I'd put above McDaniels on the list. Some of those men, like ex-Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, likely will draw some interest from the teams still searching for coaches. Now the Chargers' offensive coordinator, Whisenhunt, who took the Cardinals to the brink of a Super Bowl championship five years ago, can't be interviewed at least until after San Diego's first-round playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

As for the others -- well, I just hope the second-chance spirit extends to minorities such as Jim Caldwell and Hue Jackson, two qualified candidates whose names are often scoffed at by outsiders but who, like Smith, could do wonders for a team in search of stability.

Caldwell, who coached the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl appearance four years ago and earned a ring with the Baltimore Ravens last February (after helping to pump life into the team's stagnant attack as a late-season replacement for offensive coordinator Cam Cameron), reportedly is drawing interest from the Washington Redskins and Detroit Lions. I sincerely hope that Caldwell is not being courted simply as a means of satisfying the Rooney Rule, but will receive serious consideration for these jobs. The arguments I hear from outsiders questioning his credentials -- that his success in Indy was merely the product of Peyton Manning's brilliance, that the Colts' subsequent collapse (2-14 in 2011) with Manning shelved all season by a neck injury exposed his inadequacies, that his low-key personality isn't conducive to running a team -- are superficial and silly.

Silver: Chud firing infuriates Browns
In the wake of Rob
Chudzinski's abrupt firing, numerous Browns players vent their frustrations to Michael Silver. READ
If Brady's praise of McDaniels as a great offensive coach can boost his credibility, shouldn't Manning's strong endorsement of Caldwell, his quarterbacks coach in Indy from 2002-08 and head coach from 2009-11, carry similar weight?

Then there is Jackson, who went 8-8 in 2011, his lone season as the Oakland Raiders' coach, before getting fired by owner Mark Davis. In retrospect, Jackson's performance in taking the Raiders to the brink of their first AFC West title (and playoff berth) since 2002 -- despite challenges such as owner Al Davis' death and season-ending injuries to quarterback Jason Campbell and running back Darren McFadden -- looks downright brilliant. His replacement, Dennis Allen, has won eight games in two seasons, losing 24, and reportedly will meet with Mark Davis on Monday to determine whether he returns for a third campaign.

Yet Jackson, the Bengals' running backs coach and special assistant to head coach Marvin Lewis, is routinely lampooned as a possible coaching candidate by fans and media members, as if his prowess as an offensive strategist was not well-documented, or his perceived coaching missteps were anywhere approaching those of McDaniels or Jackson's predecessor in Oakland, Tom Cable (whose name still gets thrown out liberally). Cable did manage to finish 8-8 in his final season -- after Jackson, brought in by Al Davis and given full control of the offense, took the Raiders from 31st to 10th in the league rankings and more than doubled their point total from the previous year.

When Davis fired Cable, the owner cited the embarrassment the coach had caused the franchise via his "accidental" breaking of ex-Oakland assistant Randy Hanson's jaw and subsequent allegations of domestic abuse. Now compare those blights on Cable's record to the oft-cited complaints about Jackson, and tell me which man is more worthy of a second look.

First, though Jackson is routinely blamed for the Raiders' much-maligned trade for quarterback Carson Palmer, I've argued that the move wasn't nearly as ruinous as is commonly perceived, and that even if it were, it would merely reflect Jackson's shortcomings as a general manager candidate, not as a head coach.

Secondly, Jackson came off as brash and power-hungry in several press conferences late in the 2011 season, something he has since said he regretted, but hardly a cataclysmic act. Compared to, say, Rex Ryan at his boldest, Jackson's words were relatively tame. The man was frustrated in the midst of a late-season slump that would surprisingly cost him his job; hey, at least we know he cared.

If Jackson's supposed failings are somehow perceived by NFL owners and general managers as more significant than those displayed by McDaniels in Denver, I can't help but wonder if race is playing a role. When I write and speak about the challenges faced by minority coaching candidates -- and this is an issue I've been harping upon for a long, long time -- I'm not trying to launch some bleeding-hearted social crusade in the name of affirmative action. Rather, I'm expressing an undercurrent of frustration rampant in NFL circles among African-American coaches and, yes, many of their white counterparts, a sense that while progress obviously has been made, a different set of rules tend to apply to otherwise comparable candidates.

That the Bucs seemingly regarded Smith the way the Chiefs viewed Reid a year ago is a highly promising sign. In the coming weeks, if Caldwell and Jackson can get at least a level playing field when being judged against checkered candidates like McDaniels, we can hail that as further progress, not to mention a win for rational thought.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

I agree on Horton ... but U know very little of Turner if u don't think VERY VERY HIGHLY OF HIM .... theres a lot more to him than just Dallas and SD ..... every place hes ever been as an OC or HC there has been very productive Offenses almost every year ....

he is as a matter of fact one of the GREAT OFFENSIVE MINDS of the last 20 years .... not quite where Walsh is but only ONE RUNG BELOW .... and seeing as how Walsh sits on his own rung .... that's a pretty lofty rung Norv sits on ...

Norv has been doing this WAY BETTER THAN MOST FOR A VERY VERY LONG TIME ....

Y-TOWN .... I was reffering to the HC;s and coordinators ... not the entire staff ... cause the philosophies of the head 3 are what the assistants coach too ...

I forgot about Ryan .. he is a very good coach IMO ...

I was only trying to show what a GREAT STAFF (top 3) these guys hired compared to what we've had in here in the past ..

ALL 3 OF THESE GUYS WILL GET GOBBLED UP IF THEY SO CHOOSE .... the other staffs had one decent coach amongst all 3 of the slots ....

like tabber ... NEVER BEEN THIS UPSET .... and we've done plenty to get upset about .. *L ...

these guys are sleezeballs ... and u know what I just realized ... one of the reasons I'm so bitter right now is cause these guys gave me hope again by HIRING THIS STAFF ... I certainly wasn't giddy over the banner hire and I was downright pissed when we hired Lombardi ....

but then (and I said it back then and now it appears to be true) .... they BACKED INTO CHUD and he hired GREAT ASSISTANTS ..... that got my hope up .....

and then BAMMMMMM ..... out of left field they chop the BRAIN OUT OF THE HEAD ....

TABBER - .... please quit BRINGING UP THE FACTS .... the details of how things actually went down don't jive with what the DA's are saying ..... so when guys like Peenie that want to defend them don't have a leg to stand on ..... so when u BRING UP THE FACTS AND DETAILS about the reasons that went into the firing they get a little defensive .... witch is really hard because trying to defend a position that is indefensible ...

Good Luck with that one bro ....

Last edited by DiamDawg; 01/02/14 02:40 PM.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree on Horton ... but U know very little of Turner if u don't think VERY VERY HIGHLY OF HIM .... theres a lot more to him than just Dallas and SD ..... every place hes ever been as an OC or HC there has been very productive Offenses almost every year ....

he is as a matter of fact one of the GREAT OFFENSIVE MINDS of the last 20 years .... not quite where Walsh is but only ONE RUNG BELOW .... and seeing as how Walsh sits on his own rung .... that's a pretty lofty rung Norv sits on ...

Y-TOWN .... I was reffering to the HC;s and coordinators ... not the entire staff ... cause the philosophies of the head 3 are what the assistants coach too ...

I was only trying to show what a GREAT STAFF (top 3) these guys hired compared to what we've had in here in the past ..

ALL 3 OF THESE GUYS WILL GET GOBBLED UP IF THEY SO CHOOSE .... the other staffs had one decent coach amongst all 3 of the slots ....

like tabber ... NEVER BEEN THIS UPSET .... and we've done plenty to get upset about .. *L ...

these guys are sleezeballs ... and u know what I just realized ... one of the reasons I'm so bitter right now is cause these guys gave me hope again by HIRING THIS STAFF ... I certainly wasn't giddy over the banner hire and I was downright pissed when we hired Lombardi ....

but then (and I said it back then and now it appears to be true) .... they BACKED INTO CHUD and he hired GREAT ASSISTANTS ..... that got my hope up .....

and then BAMMMMMM ..... out of left field they chop the BRAIN OUT OF THE HEAD ....

TABBER - .... please quit BRINGING UP THE FACTS .... the details of how things actually went down don't jive with what the DA's are saying ..... so when guys like Peenie that want to defend them don't have a leg to stand on ..... so when u BRING UP THE FACTS AND DETAILS about the reasons that went into the firing they get a little defensive .... witch is really hard because trying to defend a position that is indefensible ...

Diam, honestly, if they fired Chud, they should've just given the job to Horton or Norv, IMO.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Diam, honestly, if they fired Chud, they should've just given the job to Horton or Norv, IMO.

Give the job to Norv, draft Bortles. Way better than McDaniels and Manziel IMO.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
D
Legend
Legend
D
*LOL* ... norv is so pi$$ed at these guys ... NO WAY HE'D WORK FOR THE DA's ... NO WAY ....

and I LOVE Norv as OC ... but hes FAILED TWICE AS A HC ... sorry .... not again ... at least not here ... his skill set doesn't translate well to the HC ...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

theres a lot more to him than just Dallas and SD ..... every place hes ever been as an OC or HC there has been very productive Offenses almost every year ....

I have nothing against Norv.... but like a lot of coaches, his stats rise and fall with his talent, just like every other coach...

His first 3 years in Dallas he had what amounts to the Alabama equivalent in the NFL.. his offense was top 5 every year..

He goes to Washington for 7 years and his offense is top 10 twice...

Then to Miami.. in the teens and low 20s...

San Diego the first time as OC... teens...

Oakland teens and low 20s...

Back to San Diego with good talent and he's back in the top 10...

Then to Cleveland where he's back in the 20s...

I'm not suggesting that a coach should be able to be top 10 with no talent.. but his two great stints are Dallas and San Diego when he had very good offensive talent... Maybe just having some of those other teams in the middle was a tremendous accomplishment, I don't know for sure... but, not unlike all other coaches, when Norv doesn't have a good QB, his offenses are average at best...

Keep in mind, I liked the staff.. though the reasons given, the decline (total collapse) down the stretch was troubling... I fully expected this staff to get at least one more year and wish they would have...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

*LOL* ... norv is so pi$$ed at these guys ... NO WAY HE'D WORK FOR THE DA's ... NO WAY ....

and I LOVE Norv as OC ... but hes FAILED TWICE AS A HC ... sorry .... not again ... at least not here ... his skill set doesn't translate well to the HC ...

I was more saying I'd rather have him and Bortles than McDaniels and Manziel which is the general consensus belief that the Browns are leaning towards.

I wasn't saying Norv is the best out there, might be the best that we can get though and that's just because any HC worth a damn isn't coming here.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I was more saying I'd rather have him and Bortles than McDaniels and Manziel which is the general consensus belief that the Browns are leaning towards.

I wasn't saying Norv is the best out there, might be the best that we can get though and that's just because any HC worth a damn isn't coming here.

I'm against hiring Norv, but you make a pretty decent case.

Forget what us fans think about McDaniels, the media will be counting down the days until he's fired... This guy's grave has already been dug and we don't even know if he's going to be the coach. It's only speculation at this point....

I hope it all works out, I hope I'm dead wrong about McDaniels... I hope we find our QB and win 10 games and make the playoffs....

But I'm telling you right now, if this doesn't work out, there is going to be a poop storm of epic proportions.. Because everyone, at this moment, thinks it's going to happen if he's hired.

Would not be a fan of the hire, but will be behind him because I'm a Browns fan and I have no other choice, and I will never be that guy that roots against him just so I can hop on here and tell you guys how I was right. I don't care about that I just want to win games.

I also hate how the media seems to bask in the process of firing coaches... Reporters can't wait to break that news, talk shows can't wait to do 5 hour shows on it... I live for the day where we don't have that anymore because we have a good team.

I don't think the media was as bad with Chud, because of the shock value, but some of these other firings they couldn't wait to write them up... They see web page hits and dollar signs, I see new faces, lots of changes, and many, many growing pains and talks of 3 years from now....

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
The AC is based on talent. To paraphrase Bill Walsh, "You run the AC when you have talent. You run the WCO when you don't."

The AC will thrive when we get the talent here like it did w/ Dallas and San Diego and burns where you don't have talent.

Legend
Legend
The Banner/Lombard group want a yes man as their HC. A guy who will take the players they give him and coach them.

I don't know if McDaneils is that guy. But he might be.

And if he comes here. I'm going to assune Mallet will also. And depending on the price. I may be ok with that.

Getting Mallet here and still having two first round picks would be nice.

I woould not give Indys first for Mallet. Maybe swap with NE. But not for him.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Give the job to Norv, draft Bortles. Way better than McDaniels and Manziel IMO.

After his comments? I think Turner burned any bridges he might have had. As far as I know, Ray Horton hadn't said anything regarding Chudzinski's firing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Good to see you old friend

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who's going to be the new HC?

Link Copied to Clipboard