Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
ouch. thats a lot of bread for coaches who don't even have to coach the entire time.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Browns Country reported a team's spokesmen said the report about Tressel is "Totally false".

It's on my Facebook wall.

On an unrelated topic - Vikings reported to interview Ray Horton on Tuesday:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ton-on-tuesday/

Good for Ray Horton. It'll be fun to watch the Vikings suck year-after-year if they hire him.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
This guy is a good coach...

He is a good football coach that has been successful everywhere hes been except this year...and this year you could even argue that he had a good year...His first year in a system having good numbers in all but 2 places...3rd down and red zone...yes those are big but...overall numbers mean alot too.

Horton will be a star in this league. You can mark that down.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The most expensive buyout: Butch Davis, who Randy Lerner still owed $12 million at the time of his 2004 firing.

Butch Davis quit, he wasn't fired. We shouldn't have paid him squat after he left.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

This guy is a good coach...

He is a good football coach that has been successful everywhere hes been except this year...and this year you could even argue that he had a good year...His first year in a system having good numbers in all but 2 places...3rd down and red zone...yes those are big but...overall numbers mean alot too.

Horton will be a star in this league. You can mark that down.

How much can I mark you down for?

It just occurred to me that you might be wanting a discount. Okay, how much? 10% off? 20%? Christmas 2014 special purchase?

Last edited by anarchy2day; 01/03/14 09:30 PM.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
you can just write it on paper.

There is nothing that makes me think he wont do a good job. He's been successful everywhere.

It has to start somehow
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He's been successful everywhere except for Cleveland

Fixed it for ya.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Isn't that their job anyway?

What I mean to say is, isn't that how it's supposed to run? The Front Office is supposed to give the coach players to coach?

Not sure that means they want a yes man as their HC. Now if you wanted to say they want someone with little power, then I'd say that's true. But every team is looking for a "yes man" as head coach.

Regardless of poster opinion on the power structure between HC and FO/GM. This was a DECISION by Banner/Haslam.

Here's, in his own words, what was promised by Banner:

"We think that the head coach is going to play even a bigger role in where we go from here," Banner said. "That will create a better situation for us to identify what role the GM, potentially director of player personnel, whichever it ends up being, exactly what qualities do we need in that person, so when we fit everybody together, we’ve got real strength in every area that we think we need to be strong in.”

In other words, the Browns are setting their sights high when it comes to the first head coach under the new regime and are willing to give as much power to that new coach as it takes to land him.

This isn't the first time that the Browns have done it this way. Under the old regime, the Browns hired Eric Mangini as coach before bringing in a general manager (which later became George Kokinis).

“This is a reasonable line of questioning," Banner said. "It is something we discussed a lot. It isn’t an obvious answer and not everybody does it the same way. We made the determination that the greater impact on our future was going to be the head coach, that we need to make sure we find two people that fit together well and complement each other well and that we wanted the skill set of the head coach to kind of drive what we’d be looking for in the position that we would hire after that."

Banner added, "Time will tell if that’s right and if we can find the right two people that are both high quality and fit together as well as we hope. This was maybe the first decision we made in terms of kind of moving forward here was, ‘What’s the right order? Are we doing them together, one first, one second?’ So it’s a totally valid line of questioning, but the decision we, in the end, made was to find the head coach first.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/69515/why-browns-are-hiring-a-coach-before-gm

Then, lol:

"Haslam repeatedly said he wants the Browns' sixth head coach since 1999 to be their last for years to come."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...e-coach-then-gm

I also remember them PROMISING to hire either a STRONG, big name HC or STRONG, experienced GM. They did neither. My suspicion back then was that Banner thought of himself to be that strong part. Yuck.

Other stuff I said about 12 months ago:

Quote:

With J&J I get this "outsmart", "double tlak" and "ego driven" feeling again and not "doing what they're saying".

Quote:

While I have a very bad feeling with Jimmy and Joe myself, I'll wait for their "moves" before I'll drop the hammer....but I'm sure they won't "disappoint" me.
This has ALL the ingredients for a power hungry mess waiting to happen...and the Cleveland Browns are the training ground for NFL "maybes" again. Heckert was the only proven guy at his job since our rebirth. Now we'Re back to: 1st time owner learning on the job and doing rookie mistakes, 1st time football guy (Banner) learning on the job/overestimating his "abilities" (yeah I know Joe, you hired Reid, you're smart, ok ok VERY smart) and most probably 1st time HC or failed former HC and puppet 1st time GM, ex-director of personell somewhere (think Kokinis)

They all can train on the job, we bring in new terminology on Offense and we start from scratch

We should file a form to the NFL to be re-named Cleveland Rebuilds, as we constantly tear down the house before we even build it. We're a league wide running gag

Thanks again Mr Lerner, you useless piece of crap couldn't even sell the team at the right time

Hehe, there were even McDaniels rumors a year ago, that was my reaction then and that hasn't changed a lot. If anything it's gotten more pessimistic:

Quote:

Banner = new Mangini "the I'm so smart GM version"

McDaniels = Mangini "the I'm so smart HC version"

Lombardi = new Kokinis

Haslam = new dumb owner getting fooled by double tongues

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Legend
Legend
D
FYI for those interested in Zimmer ...

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Vikings, Redskins, and Lions all have "interest" in Bengals DC Mike Zimmer.

Per Garafolo, Zimmer could interview for all three head-coaching vacancies as early as next week. The Vikings have been linked to both Bengals coordinators, also OC Jay Gruden, while Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is considered the tentative favorite to land the Detroit job. Zimmer has been waiting so long for a head-coaching gig that he may actually be willing to work for Dan Snyder in D.C. He'd whip that Redskins roster into shape, right quick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I mentioned to Big Wilie in the Chud thread the Browns are going to let names float around so as to throw people off ,because there's one guy they want.
Now I believe as I read some things that two things exist that hadn't before.
I -Hasslehoff wants more candidates especially his southern boys, and
2-Lomdardo has contacts and knows how to contact Jimmy's favorites.

I heard Franklin's name come up this week and they have their bowl game in a few..

I cannot say Gase is the guy or not at this time but I did know there was/is a mystery guy they've been on the tail of.
I see some more rumors are starting to float, sooo I want to see what direction this goes.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 01/04/14 01:36 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
FWIW, Grossi says Gase is the guy they want, not McDaniel. Either is a "meh" to me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah I saw that. But anyone wanting him will have to wait till the Broncs are done..wonder if the Browns are going to wait..

Legend
Legend
I had to look up Gase, because I wasn't all that familiar with him. I know that he's the Bronco's offensive coordinator, but that is about it.

He is 35 years old. He has been a coach with the Broncos since 2009. He started out as WR coach, then moved to QB coach, then to Offensive Coordinator this year. Yeah, 1 year of OC experience, just like Shurmur.

Prior to joining the Broncos, he was an offensive assistant with the Niners, and QB coach for the Lions in 2007. (along with a pair of unspecified offensive assistant positions) Prior to that, he was a defensive assistant at LSU, under Nick Saban.

He looks like a career assistant, but rarely the top level type guys.While I personally believe that a head coach needs leadership and ability to inspire others, along with an ability to set the agenda, and keep everyone on the same page more than technical skill, I worry when a guy has had only 1 year as a coordinator. Being a coordinator does not offer all of the skills necessary to be a head coach, but it does require organization, and the ability to handle a part of a staff.

It seems like we are going to look for the guy who can be a head coach for the next 15 years ...... when we really meed to be concerned more about the next 2 or 3.

JMHO.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I had to look up Gase, because I wasn't all that familiar with him. I know that he's the Bronco's offensive coordinator, but that is about it.

I actually though Peyton Manning was the OC in Denver. Isn't it he who calls all of those audibles at the LOS?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
It's hard to be a head coach at 28 ya know? He's 35...he should be an assistant all the way through unless he's Kliff Kingsbury.

a 35 year old becoming a head coach is about that time if youre really good at your job.

Also, Shurmur had 2 years OC experience...but yes I see the correlation. Cept Shurmur was OC in STL with a bad HC and Gase has been around great coaches his entire career.

I'd be okay with him...but idk...

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I actually though Peyton Manning was the OC in Denver. Isn't it he who calls all of those audibles at the LOS?

One year as a coordinator with PM as the qb? Now there's a body of work you can hang your hat on.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I wouldn't base the Denver OC's success on his ability. He just happens to be the guy who has maybe the best QB ever at the helm of his O.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Think about what film study has to yield for him though...

That man has to have learned just a TON about both offense AND defense just talking with Manning.

It has to start somehow
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Maybe Jimmy is hoping that he can parlay the combination of Gase as HC and his own Tennessee ties into a co-ordinator position for Peyton after he retires as a player. (I looked and no, Jimmy Sexton is not Manning's agent)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just Go Get Stoops. The Guy Guides A Successful, Big Time program. I Dont Think We've Expressed Interest In him But thats Probably Due to Banner And Lamebardi Not Wanting Anyone They Deem Wiser Than Them In Here.

Legend
Legend
j/c

Latest rumor being floated around NFL Network is that Browns have interest in Bob Stoops.... and that interest may be mutual.

Thoughts?

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

j/c

Latest rumor being floated around NFL Network is that Browns have interest in Bob Stoops.... and that interest may be mutual.

Thoughts?

i rather deal with stoops, and i might actually have hop he does good, than deal with McDaniels.

I'm not saying it all adds up, but the ONLY time we have been to the playoffs....was with a College HC. no other former Coord. turned HC besides Romeo even came close to taken us to the playoffs.

so, why not give him a shot.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we take a guy from the college ranks, I think I am leaning toward James Franklin. Didn't know much about him last week but the more I read about him the more I like him.

The other guy I am interested in in Bowles.

I am not a big McDaniels fan but would be okay with him. Maybe that is my John Carroll bias (class of 91).

Gase, Quinn and Stoops would be disappointing to me.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Thoughts?

i rather deal with stoops, and i might actually have hop he does good, than deal with McDaniels.

I'm not saying it all adds up, but the ONLY time we have been to the playoffs....was with a College HC. no other former Coord. turned HC besides Romeo even came close to taken us to the playoffs.

so, why not give him a shot.

But Davis also had 6 seasons of being an NFL asst. coach/coordinator before the Miami HC gig.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c

Thoughts?

The Browns are interested in Franklin(Vandy coach) and have received very good feedback on the HC, and are intrigued. Can he handle the situation in Cleveland or the NFL???

Bob Stoops.Interest on both sides.the Browns, as do many around the league believe Stoops translates well to the NFL and is as ready as he has ever been to making the jump. Stoops is not a yes man and does get respect.

McDaniels. The Browns have expressed serious interest and the OC has gauged interest in assembling a staff -- if the offer comes or he decides to jump in with both feet.

Auburn's coach-The Browns are intrigued and have a great respect for Gus M' offensive thinking . .Those are the rumored HC candidates...

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 01/04/14 06:38 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I Just Don't Think The FO Can Afford To Gamble Here But Dealing With A First Timer Is Just That. A Gamble.

Stoops Is The Exception Because Of The Major Program He Runs.

Mora Jr.
Billick
Mariucci
Green
All RetreadS Oit There.

M
Legend
Legend
M
All reports now are saying that talk of Stoops interviewing with the Browns is completely bogus.

Stoops was probably being purposely coy about his interest in the NFL in order to get OU to up his contract. Seems to be the new negotiation tactic for college coaches.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I wouldn't base the Denver OC's success on his ability. He just happens to be the guy who has maybe the best QB ever at the helm of his O.

Not for nothing, but folks said the same thing about Denver's OC, Mike McCoy, last year as a coaching candidate and he now has lead the Bolts to the playoffs.

Personally, I'd take Gase over McDaniels. With Gase, you do not have a proven failure on your hands.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Thoughts?

The Browns are interested in Franklin(Vandy coach) and have received very good feedback on the HC, and are intrigued. Can he handle the situation in Cleveland or the NFL???

Bob Stoops.Interest on both sides.the Browns, as do many around the league believe Stoops translates well to the NFL and is as ready as he has ever been to making the jump. Stoops is not a yes man and does get respect.

McDaniels. The Browns have expressed serious interest and the OC has gauged interest in assembling a staff -- if the offer comes or he decides to jump in with both feet.

Auburn's coach-The Browns are intrigued and have a great respect for Gus M' offensive thinking . .Those are the rumored HC candidates...

When James Franklin's name popped up in the discussion, my interest was piqued. I like him. I also like Malzahn. In his two seasons as a college HC, he's been the champion in both. The Sunbelt champs at Arkansas State and the SEC champs this year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Franklin is the guy that I want the most. He's a great leader and has a personality people gravitate to.......so basically there is no chance the Beowns hire him...lol.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

All reports now are saying that talk of Stoops interviewing with the Browns is completely bogus.

Stoops was probably being purposely coy about his interest in the NFL in order to get OU to up his contract. Seems to be the new negotiation tactic for college coaches.

KFFL

Browns | No plans to interview Bob Stoops
Sat, 04 Jan 2014 18:44:26 -0800

The Cleveland Browns do not have any plans to interview University of Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops for their head coaching position.

Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay Cabot

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

KFFL

The Cleveland Browns do not have any plans to interview University of Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops for their head coaching position.

And why not?????? I certainly hope that we are still interested in Franklin and Malzahn though.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Yeah Malzahn can teach our guys how to have passes deflected to wide open receivers and how to return field goals 109 yards.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Yeah Malzahn can teach our guys how to have passes deflected to wide open receivers and how to return field goals 109 yards.

and how to actually have a running game?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

and how to actually have a running game?

That he can do. Auburn might have the best running attack I have even seen. I would be interested in him. I love the hurry up attack.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah I saw that. But anyone wanting him will have to wait till the Broncs are done..wonder if the Browns are going to wait..

Didn't he turn down the interview request?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There was an article with a misleading title out there.

He didn't specifically turn down the Browns. He turned down all interviews until after the Broncos are out of the playoffs.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's correct. It was another lame attempt to bash the Browns by the local media. The Bears also wanted to interview Gase. He didn't just turn us down. He is simply waiting until Denver's season is over.

I'm glad that the Stoops thing is bogus. I like him as a collegiate coach, but how would he translate to the NFL. He seems really old school. He isn't an innovator like Kelly.

I like Franklin and Malzahn though. Both are progressive guys who are excellent motivators. It's always a bit of a crap shoot when moving to the NFL from college, though.

From the professional ranks, I like McDaniels and Gase. The latter was hand chosen by P. Manning to be his coordinator this year. Manning thinks the guy is extremely bright.

McCoy, the previous OC in Denver, had a nice season in San Diego and you have to admit, his offense was way more productive than Norv's. They didn't take nearly as many sacks and Rivers played much, much better.

I've been thinking about that recently. I loved our coaching hires from last year, but all three teams: Carolina, San Diego, and Arizona improved w/out those guys. I'm not sure if there is a correlation there, but it is something to think about.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Franklin is the guy that I want the most. He's a great leader and has a personality people gravitate to.......so basically there is no chance the Browns hire him...lol.

Maybe you're right. It does seem that way, doesn't it? He's the one that I think has the most to offer in as far as pure coaching ability goes.

Malzahn's use of the no hesitation, no huddle offense could make for a fast-paced game. If he comes here, the Browns could really amp up the scoring possibilities by keeping winded defensive fat men on the field. I don't know though, if we have the personnel to really work with that type of system. It could mean a wholesale overhaul of the OL, but it might be able to be run with the weapons on offense that we have. I think Hoyer could operate it smoothly enough, but it would mean that Cambell and Weeden would both be gone. We'd have to get backup QBs that could operate it.

It would also mean that we would need to have one hell of a strength & conditioning coach, or a whole staff of them.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

KFFL

And why not?????? I certainly hope that we are still interested in Franklin and Malzahn though.

He's already been interviewed?

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who's going to be the new HC?

Link Copied to Clipboard