Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
With the talk of Schawtz becoming our new DC and switching back to the 4-3 would it not make sense to draft Clowney? Him and Sheard at the DE positions would be deadly.

DE: Sheard and Clowney
DT: Taylor and Ruben
OLB: Mingo and Kruger
MLB: Jackson
CB: Haden,Skreen/draft pick
S: Gipson and Ward

we would have a ton of depth on the D-Line, and think with that lineup we could rock some teams world. Thoughts?

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
I don't know much about where guys would fit, but all I know is we were supposed to "rock guys' world" this season ... and we sucked.

I'm to the point where I say get a QB come hell or high water ... and don't wake me up until we have a legit one.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I think drafting clowney would be huge and give us a stout front seven for sure.

we can get A.J. McCarron in the 2nd round. Think he is going to be this years Kirk Cousins

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Where does Desmond Bryant play exactly? I'd like to trade Rubin in that scenario. We'd have 6 DTs. Kruger, Sheard and Clowney would be DEs.

It'd have to look like this-

DE: Sheard, Clowney
DT: Bryant, Winn
NT: Taylor, Hughes, Kitchen
DE: Kruger, somebody

WLB: Robertson
MLB: DQ
SLB: Mingo

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think drafting clowney would be huge and give us a stout front seven for sure.

we can get A.J. McCarron in the 2nd round. Think he is going to be this years Kirk Cousins

The guy that has done nothing against good defenses?

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I purposely left Bryant off the starters I projected due to the injury/uncertainty of him coming back. I think Kruger stays as OLB in the 4-3 as well. Trade Ruben? Guess I ddidn't think about that to be honest. We still would have Hughes, Kitchen who could play there so sure. But what kind of trade value can we get for him

#brownsgoodkarma
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

The guy that has done nothing against good defenses?

Start Hoyer, groom McCarron

#brownsgoodkarma
H
1st String
1st String
H
Clowney is a luxury we can't afford with the current qb situation.
IMO there is no way our first pick is not used one way or another on a qb.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Switching back to a 4-3 now would be dubious at best. A new coach doesn't have to mean new schemes, and almost half the league runs a 3-4 so it shouldn't exactly be hard to find a decent DC should it be necessary.

I just don't see any compelling reason to switch to a 4-3... not Clowney and certainly not Schwartz. Unless dirty and reckless is what you want from your D-line I wouldn't want the guy as a DC even if we were already a 4-3 team.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
If we are changing to the 4-3 he would be the perfect piece to the puzzle.

we could still draft Tahj Boyd with our 2nd first rounder

#brownsgoodkarma
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Start Hoyer, groom McCarron

I doubt McCarron would even be worth a second.

as for the 4th pick this team needs a QB desperately....a viable QB could take us from 4-12 to 11-5.....we lost probably 8 games this year due to poor QB play.

This team needs a QB ASAP...either use the 4th pick on Johnny Football, Mariota, the best QB on the board, or try and trade up to the #1 spot and get Bridgewater....if we can't do that, then pullout the checkbook and do what it takes to Jay Cutler here (Minus McDaniels they don't like each other)

QB is the singlest most important need on this team.....look at the Packers...then went 2-5-1 without Rodgers and were horrid, and went 6-2 with Rodgers in the lineup and won the division....that's enough right there to tell you that you won't win th NFL without a viable QBand right now we don't have one, and getting one should be our top priorty and I will be livid if this team wastes a high pick on a DE/LB without addressing the QB position.

im tired of going 4-12, 5-11 every year because we don't have a QB...youhave a QB who can actually move the ball through the air it opens the running game, it opens everything....right now we can't win because we can't move the ball because we don't have a QB.....

I think its already a lock through that our high 1st rder will be used on a QB, the FO knows it, the league knows it, everyone knows it...if were going to win soon we need to.

Lets just hope Banner gets "Cleveland's Donovon McNabb" out of this upcoming draft.

Legend
Legend
Thank you.

You're preaching to the freaking choir. If you want to settle for losing, then don't draft a QB this year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Perhaps we can draft defense again and just oscillate the defense between 4-3 and 3-4 every other year and perpetually populate it with a handful of guys who sorta kinda don't fit with this year's scheme but might with the new scheme in another year or two. And while we're at it we can draft a scrub QB in the bottom of the 2nd round and platoon 2 or 3 mediocre QB's we'll rotate as the year (and injuries) progress.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just find it fascinating that the team would pick the DC before having a coach in place.

So much for letting a coach pick his staff....

This reeks of making Mangini the coach before hiring a GM.... And we recall how that turned out.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Clowney would be a great consolation prize if we didn't grab a qb. Unless he gets injured, you could probably pencil him in for at least 10 sacks for the next decade. The only way he busts, is if he doesn't try or take the game seriously. Everything else is there physically.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Clowney would be a great consolation prize if we didn't grab a qb. Unless he gets injured, you could probably pencil him in for at least 10 sacks for the next decade. The only way he busts, is if he doesn't try or take the game seriously. Everything else is there physically.

I worry about what is going on upstairs with that young man. I don't think that I would draft him high, even with his huge physical talent, because, from what I have seen he has missed games with relatively minor type injuries, and has taken a lot of plays off in games.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I don't want Clowney but I think a switch to the 4-3 could work. I don't trust Clowney's character after this season.

V
1st String
1st String
V
Quote:

With the talk of Schawtz becoming our new DC and switching back to the 4-3 would it not make sense to draft Clowney? Him and Sheard at the DE positions would be deadly.

DE: Sheard and Clowney
DT: Taylor and Ruben
OLB: Mingo and Kruger
MLB: Jackson
CB: Haden,Skreen/draft pick
S: Gipson and Ward

we would have a ton of depth on the D-Line, and think with that lineup we could rock some teams world. Thoughts?

I agree. It is not like the Browns have forgotten how to run the 4-3 defense. I would not say the 3-4 defense was a huge success this year.

Voleur

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Oh no! Your talk of the switch back to the 4-3 (after one season in the 3-4) has gotten all the 'woe is me' folks back out again.

I could see it happening with the look of the depth chart of the DL/LB going to:

OLB: Kruger, Sheard, Mingo, A. Bryant
DT: Taylor, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, D. Bryant
MLB: draft picks?, Robertson

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The team is fit to run the scheme that Schwartz runs, the 9 wide. It's also the same one that the Eagles ran under Banner in Philly.

It wouldn't shock me, nor would it be a bad move. It would fill one hole of needing another MLB, or at least make it much easier to find that guy. And Kruger and Roberson are much better OLBers in a Wide 9 than in the 3-4.

you had a good run Hank.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Oh no! Your talk of the switch back to the 4-3 (after one season in the 3-4) has gotten all the 'woe is me' folks back out again.

I could see it happening with the look of the depth chart of the DL/LB going to:

OLB: Kruger, Sheard, Mingo, A. Bryant
DT: Taylor, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, D. Bryant
MLB: draft picks?, Robertson

I still can't believe we're really talking about switching back after a year. I'm not saying you, I just mean in general. How sad is it that we're switching back?

P
Legend
Legend
P
At some point you have to address the O.

You simply can't keep ignoring putting major investments there and blaming others because you can't score enough points to win.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
While I understand the topic of switching back to a 4-3 drafting Clowney would be horrid. Pencil him in for 10 sacks when he can't must 4 in the NCAA? We would have 3 DE's in Sheard, Mingo, and Bryant. No reason to spend a top pick on a controversial prospect when you need QB, OL, WR, RB, ILB and S much more. Argue if you'd like but you'll never hear his name called to the Browns in May.

Either way it doesn't matter. We need a ILB/Will. Similar prospects. If you field a top 10 D I don't care what front you choose. I see his faults but I wish we'd hire an offensive HC and just let Horton continue. 3-4 players add more versatility to a defense.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
If we go back to the 4-3 I think I will throw up.

Legend
Legend
We should draft a big armed drop-back passer and switch to the WCO. The NFL will never see that one coming.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

We should draft a big armed drop-back passer and switch to the WCO. The NFL will never see that one coming.

wow.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
If we go to a 4-3 I will be very disappointed. Not because I prefer any scheme over the other, but because that will be three different schemes in three years with a significant monetary investment in the 3-4 defense.

-Mingo almost becomes irrelevant in this scheme and even a BIGGER gamble trying to make him a 4-3OLB. Same thing with Kruger. There is $36M in guaranteed money right there.

- We'll have Taylor, Rubin, Bryant, Hughes, Kitchen (maybe a FA), Winn, and Sanford as DT. That's way too much in my opinion.

- We immediately have a glaring whole at arguably the most important position in a 43 defense...RDE. There is nothing to tell me Kruger and Mingo can do this and Sheard could be on the other side at LDE. We said we wanted to attack? Well, we would need to find someone for that.

- However, this could be a situation where Jackson is more valuable to us.

This would be very scary for me. We've invested too much money in the 3-4 within 12 months just to pack it in and start something new again.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Both Kruger & Mingo would be a switch to DE or be gone..... or, we just roll with them for when we switch back to the 3-4 the following year.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm going to have to agree with this post, 100%. I don't per say have a preferred scheme, 3-4/4-3, whatever works but now I think we have to play it by what type of ammo we have best suited up for, that IMO is the 3-4.

Paul is not a cover LB, so he becomes a highly paid, unsharpened and rarely used tool in the 4-3 toolbox. Mingo, I'd have no clue where he'd even fit in at. I highly, highly doubt these two be effective as ends in 4-3

We'd have to trade a few players that we jsut spent draft picks on, money on free agent contracts and so forth to do yet again, another flip-flop or flop-flip of schemes. and trading and dealing these players would only display more-so of how unprepared and poorly Haslam/Banner planned, implemented and executed their actions. I thought these people were suppose to be a "foundation" or "base" to building a football team?

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Both Kruger & Mingo would be a switch to DE or be gone..... or, we just roll with them for when we switch back to the 3-4 the following year.

Yea but what about the eventual switch back the 4-3 in 2016?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yea but what about the eventual switch back the 4-3 in 2016?

Ooof, I didn't think that far out. 2014 draft picks replace them when their contracts expire?

Browns is the Browns

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Changing systems again? A sure sign of a horrible franchise.

Also, in a 4-3, Ward is a fish out of water. He can't cover anyone, so now we're going to drop him into 2 deep? lol

S
Legend
Legend
S
I would like to see them keep the 3-4. If you can convince the coach to stick with it, I think he'd retain Horton. I mean really are you going to do better coach wise than him at this point?

Horton didn't do the best of jobs, but I think he can still get this group to be good.

As far as Turner goes, I don't really care, because it doesn't matter who you have if you aren't going to get a legitimate quarterback in there.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Definitely

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Definitely

oh well , just consider it replacing Curly with Shemp.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
A. Bryant could play RDE in a 4-3 without question. They had him bulk up quite a bit to play 3-4 DE this past year. The guy is explosive and has long arms to match up with LTs.

This is how I would see our front-7 depth chart:

Base 4-3:

LDE: Sheard, Winn
NT: Taylor, Hughes, Kitchen
UT: D. Bryant, Rubin
RDE: A. Bryant, (E. Martin?)

SLB: Kruger, Groves
MLB: Jackson, Carder
WLB: Mingo, J. Staples

Nickel:

LDE: Sheard/A. Bryant
NT: Winn/Taylor
UT: D. Bryant/A. Bryant
RDE: Mingo/A. Bryant

LB1: Jackson
LB2: Staples

(Note: Robertson's contract is up. Browns have exclusive rights to his contract negotiations since he only has two accrued seasons, but he may not be back).

Now, that's with no draft picks. I don't think Manziel or Bridgewater last to 4, and if we don't go Carr at 4 (or if he goes to Jacksonville) we could go Clowney. That would make a huge difference in our front-7, laziness be damned.

I think we see the Rams cut or trade Bradford and draft whichever QB Houston doesn't take. They have $2.4 million in cap space for the upcoming season and Bradford hasn't taken them to the next level, and has gotten injured several times. They have less than $200k they can carry over from last year. Moving him would free up $10 million in cap space and they can start over with undamaged goods. Here are the only players they can move to get any significant cap room:

1) QB Sam Bradford: +$10 million
2) C Scott Wells: +$4.5 million (Starter)
3) DT Kendall Lankford: +$4 million
4) G Harvey Dahl: +$4 million (possible to be cut, but may move into starter role)

Both their backup QBs (Clemens and Davis) contracts are up, so they will have to sign at least one backup. Both their starting guards' contracts are up (Saffold and Chris Williams) and one of their two backup guard's (Shelley Smith) contract is up so cutting either Wells or Dahl seems like a big gamble after paying all that money to JakeLong to fix the OL last year. Kendall Lankford is their starter and best DT on the team, and at $6 million dollar salary ($2 million dead money) is a good contract value.

Anyways, with Bradford ending the season on IR and the Rams getting a free 2nd-overall pick... signs to me point to them taking a QB and parting ways with Bradford.

Last edited by clevesteve; 01/02/14 11:41 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I would agree with all of that....but what would you prefer at this point? Staying in the 3-4 or switching to the 4-3?

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just remember there is one guy who runs this show...all others work and comply to him!

Haslam stated that he wants and ATTACK 3-4 Defense...we might fire Horton or he might leave - but I seriously doubt we will see anything but a 3-4 Defense next year. Of course I could be wrong. But I don't think so. If Schwartz comes here as the DC he better have a playbook with 3-4 embossed on the cover

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would agree with all of that....but what would you prefer at this point? Staying in the 3-4 or switching to the 4-3?

I want a defense that can get to third down, can stop them on third down, and can create turnovers/force field goals in the red zone. I don't care if it's a 3-4 or a 4-3. Both can do it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... the Rams getting a free 2nd-overall pick... signs to me point to them taking a QB and parting ways with Bradford.

Quite possible, but I prefer the popular view that either they trade down, or pick OT Matthews. Would you give up our second 1st round pick for Bradford? Interesting...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum changing to the 4-3...maybe not a bad thing.

Link Copied to Clipboard