Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

jc

I really thought Denver was going to win. Trouble is I think Denver thought so too and didn't really give much effort. Seattle played hungry, knew every play was important and didn't pass up opportunities to make key plays. I know the score was a blowout but honestly I'm glad the underdog won and enjoyed seeing the underdog win convincingly

Oh and I think it's nice that seattle finally got back for Super Bowl XL

The only reason Denver was a favorite is because of Manning. You look across the board, Seattle has way more talent. Who on Denver's defense is any good? Had an average defense all year, and finally met a defense that had the speed, and pressure to shut down their offense. I couldn't believe Seattle was the underdog. The afc was a joke all year, and tonight their best team was exposed as a fraud tonight.

Legend
Legend
Nrtu

Man I've never seen a Super Bowl where it looked like a team was trying to throw the game

Denver looked awful...just as a whole flat awful.... And i know that the Seahawks are a great team but there was so much self affliction done by the broncs.... Just horrible game

<><

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Thank goodness Adam Gase was so dedicated to his craft he couldn't spare a few hours for an interview. Just think what might have happened...

Legend
Legend
Seattle played every play as if it was the most important play of the game ..... and Denver played like they could show up and win.

Seatt;e has not only a great defense, but great depth on defense as well. Man, they lose Sherman and Thurmond, and Manning finishes up only 3-7 for 23 yards and a fumble with those 2 key players out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just think, Seattle did that without there 6'4 brick house CB Brandon Browner.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
That san fran vs seattle rivalry is the best in football. Reminds me of the San Fran vs Dallas rivalries in the 90's. 2 best rosters in football.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I understand it's mockery. So who was it then?

It was Marcus Allen and it's not mockery.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just think, Seattle did that without there 6'4 brick house CB Brandon Browner.

Just think. 4 years ago I watched Seattle lose to Cle 6-3 in the worst gake I've ever seen.

Last edited by ThatGuy; 02/03/14 12:47 AM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
oh man, what a microcosm you just brought up... where seattle has gone and where we have gone in that timeframe since charlie whitehurst

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Which brings me to a question I had during the game:

"How far is Cleveland's D from being this dynamic?"

Dawgs, I watched this team's D play at a level that would make them bullies of both Pittsburgh and Baltimore. A D that 'travels well.' A D that got pressure in Manning's face while only rushing 4 (sometimes 5). A D that is fast, opportunistic, relentless, and just mean.

I ask because of this: we placed a heavy investment in last year's D, with some success. Early in the season, they were developing an identity that seemed to be working. We all saw the late-season fizzle.... but it still seems like the core of a very good D is already in place.

I know that we're getting all new coaches, schemes and terminology.
I know that "the plan" was to load the D in Year One of the Haslam era, and that O would be addressed this year.

Despite all that- what would it take in personnel to ramp up to near this level?

We just saw another version of the first Ravens SB team: overwhelming D giving an average to above average O the chance to win an entire season through the playoffs. So- defense can still win championships.

Can the Browns build something like this in the same amount of time? If so, what would it take?

Thoughts on this subject are very welcome.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
What strikes me about Seattle's D is that it's basically Horton's idea of small guys, run fast, and tackle hard. The Seattle front 4 looked tiny but boy were they quick!

I thought we had a bit of that the first few games of the season. But yes, we did fizzle out. I think we could somehow emulate this with our current personnel. We have the secondary to do it, too.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Seattles defense is why I value foot speed over size. They have small LBs and small DEs that fly around and HIT you in the mouth. That secondary is massive, but also fast. They make windows extremely small and limit your room for error.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
What? One of their starting DE's is 323. Their D-Line is huge for a 4-3.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Michael Bennett and Clff Avril (forgot other DE) really are not that big. They are primarily speed rushers.

Legend
Legend
I believe that Seattle's front 7 players are roughly the same size, or slightly larger, position for position, than the Browns were under Shurmur.

Their DBs are huge, and talented.

6'3" 195# Richard Sherman
5'10" 202# Earl Thomas
6'3" 232# Kyle Chancellor
6'1" 207# Byron Maxwell

Their other usual starter is Brandon Browner, a 6'4 221# CB.

They love big DBs ..... and it works for them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Those two don't start. But the other end isn't nearly as big as Red is.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Those two don't start. But the other end isn't nearly as big as Red is.

Yeah, but that's the equivalent of Justin Tuck not starting for the Giants. He gets starter snaps for them.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I believe that Seattle's front 7 players are roughly the same size, or slightly larger, position for position, than the Browns were under Shurmur.

Their DBs are huge, and talented.

6'3" 195# Richard Sherman
5'10" 202# Earl Thomas
6'3" 232# Kyle Chancellor
6'1" 207# Byron Maxwell

Their other usual starter is Brandon Browner, a 6'4 221# CB.

They love big DBs ..... and it works for them.

I guarantee Walter Thurmond III and Brandon Browner will be let go now. Seattle doesn't need them.

Legend
Legend
Not sure the last time I saw a team so totally dominated like Denver was last night. I mean, we've seen lopsided scores before, but damn, Denver couldn't get out of their own way.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Should the Browns be thinking about Ryan Shazier with their #26? I was watching Chancellor and wondering if Shazier was a fluid enough athlete to play SS. The two seem to have similar bodies, along with great closing speed to the ball.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
From what I saw tonight, the only team capable of stopping Seattle the next few years is also in the NFC West. San Francisco would have done the same thing.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Not sure the last time I saw a team so totally dominated like Denver was last night. I mean, we've seen lopsided scores before, but damn, Denver couldn't get out of their own way.

Wow!!! Six pages of discussion and I went to bed after Harvin scored. Makes me wonder how much football any of us know....

I never would have thought that would be the outcome. I think the stage was set with the safety.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
Some of the "discussions" I had after the game, mostly over facebook were laughable. erIf you define one team showing their will on another as a "crappy" game then i would say you just dont really like football.

And all the Manning talk is sad. The guy isnt the reason they lost and now all anyone says is "choke artist"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
j/c

I think we see that, while Manning is a HoF QB, an immobile pocket QB can't beat a top flight defense built in this style. Someone commented to me yesterday that Brady would have beat Seattle. I don't think he would have had a much better day either. That defense swarmed on every single play. Never took one dang play off. Props to Seattle.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Its going to be boring. Manning will win this with no problems.

Not picking on you BADdog. Just one of those things that made me chuckle when I went through the thread. We've all have a bad prediction at least once.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Legend
Legend
NE's WR's wouldn't had stood a chance.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I really thought Manning would tear them up.

Seattle's D is one of the best complete units I have ever seen, at least in this game. Manning did not have a good day, and he didn't get much help from the rest of the team, but I don't think he would've beaten that defense if he did.

Sadly, it was a lot like watching a Browns' game. Lots of critical errors, few big plays, plus some bad luck, and a team that just could not get fired up to play.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

and a team that just could not get fired up to play.

Actually I said that the moment they ran onto the field ... literally. Seattle seems to explode out of the tunnel and was jumping around. Denver seemed more like they were jogging out of the tunnel. I said something to the effect of, "Wow, Seattle looks more up for this than Denver does" ... and was kind of shocked when it carried over into the actual game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And if the score was reversed we would be saying that Seattle was too hyped up whereas the Broncos came in calm, collected and confident.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

If you define one team showing their will on another as a "crappy" game then i would say you just dont really like football.

Sorry, you couldn't be any more in the minority with that opinion.

Not trying to take anything away from the 'Hawks, but that was easily the crappiest SB I've ever seen.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Quote:

If you define one team showing their will on another as a "crappy" game then i would say you just dont really like football.

Not trying to take anything away from the 'Hawks, but that was easily the crappiest SB I've ever seen.

I recall the 55-10 drubbing of the Broncos by 49ers. Wasn't the greatest game either. Congrats to Broncos for these two "gems".

edit: Looking back at Bronco SB scores:

L 27 - 10
L 39 - 20
L 42 - 10
L 55 - 10
W 31 - 24
W 34 - 19
L 43 - 8

First congrats on getting to that many considering we have 0, but if my math is right that is 2-5 record and outscored 249 to 123. Conclusion is that all Bronco appearances carry risk of seeing a bad game.

Last edited by I_Rogue; 02/03/14 11:32 AM.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Denver's 5 SB losses had an average margin of loss of 28 points. Even if you throw out the 55-10 loss, avg margin of loss was 23 points. Not sure what that means, but I like it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That is easily the crappiest SB I've ever seen.

So if it was 52-50 that's a good game? Hell I remember people saying the last NY/NE game was "boring"

Someone just said a game ending on a FG is "exciting" Really?

Give me total domination of one team. Thats something to watch.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
52-50 is a good game if you don't care for defense. And the that NY/NE Superbowl was awesome, in my book.

To each his own. I like shifts in momentum. Nail biters. Anyone's game. Not the Globetrotters vs the Generals.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Sadly, it was a lot like watching a Browns' game. Lots of critical errors, few big plays, plus some bad luck, and a team that just could not get fired up to play.

That's funny. I was watching the game with my wife and at some point in the second half I said, "I feel like I'm watching the Browns play." The Broncos looked horrid. I'm now more glad the Browns didn't hire Adam Gase after last night's offensive performance.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Its going to be boring. Manning will win this with no problems.

Not picking on you BADdog. Just one of those things that made me chuckle when I went through the thread. We've all have a bad prediction at least once.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

52-50 is a good game if you don't care for defense. And the that Superbowl was awesome, in my book.

To each his own. I like shifts in momentum. Nail biters. Anyone's game. Not the Globetrotters vs the Generals.

I understand that. Back and forth games are exciting.

When a team sucks and plays like crapand gets blown out. To me that's a bad game.

Denver didn't play like crap because they suck. They played like crap because Seattle was better in every phase of the game and MADE them look like crap.

That's great football.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
jc

I hope the stooges were watching and taking notes on how to build a winner.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is easily the crappiest SB I've ever seen.

So if it was 52-50 that's a good game? Hell I remember people saying the last NY/NE game was "boring"

Someone just said a game ending on a FG is "exciting" Really?

Give me total domination of one team. Thats something to watch.

A blowout like this is just boring. Especially when the game is over by halftime. I like a close game that goes down to the final play, like the Rams/Titans super bowl.

I had to work yesterday, was thinking about taking the day off, but glad I didn't.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Ill just have to agree to disagree.

It was only a 3 score game at the half . Then Percy Harvin said "game over"

With Denvers offense I thought they still had a shot if they could get going.

And watching Seattle play defense is anything but boring

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2013 Super Bowl Discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard