Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you define one team showing their will on another as a "crappy" game then i would say you just dont really like football.

Sorry, you couldn't be any more in the minority with that opinion.

Not trying to take anything away from the 'Hawks, but that was easily the crappiest SB I've ever seen.

I recall the 55-10 drubbing of the Broncos by 49ers. Wasn't the greatest game either. Congrats to Broncos for these two "gems".

edit: Looking back at Bronco SB scores:

L 27 - 10
L 39 - 20
L 42 - 10
L 55 - 10
W 31 - 24
W 34 - 19
L 43 - 8

First congrats on getting to that many considering we have 0, but if my math is right that is 2-5 record and outscored 249 to 123. Conclusion is that all Bronco appearances carry risk of seeing a bad game.

One if my favorite moments from the game last night was when the camera looked into Elway's box. The look on his giant horse face was classic. Disgust in what he was watching. At the same time he had to be glad he isn't the only Donkey to complete crap himself in a Superbowl.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It seems to me, in looking at Seattle's schedule this year, that the teams that gave them the biggest fits were teams who had a defense that made Seattle's offense win the game, and teams that had a QB who could hurt you with his legs, and teams that didn't turn the ball over. It's not rocket science....

Doesn't mean the QB had to run for 100 yards but if they have to account for the fact that the QB can run, it slows them down just a little bit..

And that is the team I hope we build.. one that is strong on defense and has a QB who can at least be a threat to take off and beat you if the opportunity presents itself, and is smart with the ball......

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
yes, you have to add in one more factor too: teams that had a guy who could get downfield (and a QB who could get him the ball down there). if you don't spread out that defense down the field, then they just sit on you and destroy you (as they did to the Broncos).

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
that was some of the best coverage I've ever seen in a super bowl. Thomas is a great receiver, and the few times they went deep he was blanketed. Decker and Welker are just mediocre guys. I know Sherman described Crabtree as mediocre, but those 2 really are. You throw in Denver's lack of a running game, and it was easy to just tee off on a sitting duck like Manning. I probably would've taken every nfc playoff team, with the exception of Philly over Denver. If the browns ever get a qb, the afc is really wide open once BRady and Manning retire. The young qb's are in the nfc.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have not read any posts, except what is on this page (7) so if this has been talked about, sorry.

1. Over the last couple of yrs. a few of us dawgs have been saying that with the rule changes favoring the O, that Defense no longer Wins Championships.

Does this game change that? I know some have said the Ravens D and maybe a few others over the years just couldn't compete with the new O's anymore. I think this game say's they not only can but be dominating as well. I was just wondering what some on here think about the Upset?

Upset, being the D over the O more than the teams. If so, I'm hyped, I think our new coach can give us a D that will destroy other Teams....Go Browns

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If you look at Seattles first 3 rounds in the 2011 draft, you'd think it was a crappy draft for them.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ill just have to agree to disagree.

It was only a 3 score game at the half . Then Percy Harvin said "game over"

With Denvers offense I thought they still had a shot if they could get going.

And watching Seattle play defense is anything but boring

I have to agree with you. I love watching a great defense just flat out dominate a great offense like that. That Seattle defense is just so damn good that I could watch them play every week. They are fast to the point of attack, and strong. They tackle like they'll lose their paycheck for the year if they miss one. They are just professional through and through. Same thing, to an extent, with their offense. They are professional, and they didn't hand the game over to the Broncos. They didn't make the big mistakes. You would have thought that Wilson was the veteran playing in his 3rd Super Bowl and Manning was the 2nd year player in his 1st, rather than the other way around. Wilson never looked rattled. He never looked nervous, He was always in control of himself and his team. Just an impressive night for the entire Seahawks organization.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
It's amazing how many studs they found in the later rds. you hardly ever see so many booms, that late in drafts. the best secondary in football, 3/4 of it came 5th rd and later. Most of their receivers were undrafted. A lot of people think it's the culture Carroll has created in Seattle. Pete gets the most out of his guys, because they really enjoy playing for him, and they have huge chips on their shoulders for being drafted so late.Truly amazing how they put that team together with the late rd success.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It's amazing how many studs they found in the later rds. you hardly ever see so many booms, that late in drafts. the best secondary in football, 3/4 of it came 5th rd and later. Most of their receivers were undrafted. A lot of people think it's the culture Carroll has created in Seattle. Pete gets the most out of his guys, because they really enjoy playing for him, and they have huge chips on their shoulders for being drafted so late.Truly amazing how they put that team together with the late rd success.

I think late round success means good coaching and not so much good drafting luck.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think late round success means good coaching and not so much good drafting luck.

I think that it's both.

Great coaching can turn a bum into a decent player, but it rarely turns a bum into a Richard Sherman. (or any of the other multiple late rounders they have had come through big time for them) They draft talent that fits their system, and develop it nicely. I think it's both ends of the equation.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree that there is a component of both.

Take a look at Danny Trevathon. One of the Broncos's best defensive players this year. He was drafted in the 6th round. But somebody on this board discovered him and started pimping him. By draft day, almost all of us had him in our mock drafts that year, typically in the 4th or 5th. He clearly had talent that we all saw and it got developed.

While watching the super bowl, every time I saw him make a play I wondered why he isn't a Brown.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

every time I saw him make a play I wondered why he isn't a Brown.

Wit our draft history since '99, you had to wonder?

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
From what I remember this board has a tremendous eye for small linebackers. Everyone was all over Trevathon and Dumervil. Trevathon falling to the sixth is baffling. I don't know why these kinds of players fall so far so consistently.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just a prediction for next year: Imagine Dragons and Kendrick Lamar for next years halftime show. They'll probably include some 80's band too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Doesn't surprise me but makes me wonder why if someone took the info from this board and analyzed it, throwing out the outlaying opinion, they could do much better than our front offices have over the years. Yet for our front offices this is their job, they get paid a lot of money, have a team of scouts, access to game tapes and interviews with the players … Haslam should save himself millions of dollars by firing the entire scouting department and hiring some intern to read dawgtalkers.net and then have a guy like Farmer make the final decisions based on that info. All he would really need to do is to scout the controversial player or two like Manziel and form an opinion on him. Our track record is much better than theirs over the years!

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree that there is a component of both.

Take a look at Danny Trevathon. One of the Broncos's best defensive players this year. He was drafted in the 6th round. But somebody on this board discovered him and started pimping him. By draft day, almost all of us had him in our mock drafts that year, typically in the 4th or 5th. He clearly had talent that we all saw and it got developed.

While watching the super bowl, every time I saw him make a play I wondered why he isn't a Brown.

IIRC it was Django that was pimping Trevathon. I watched one game of his at Kentucky and he didn't make an impact. He made a lot of tackles in the game but none that made a difference, just ended the play. I wasn't sold on him. I am surprised he's made a secure place for himself in the NFL and I was wrong about him.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

If you define one team showing their will on another as a "crappy" game then i would say you just dont really like football.

And all the Manning talk is sad. The guy isnt the reason they lost and now all anyone says is "choke artist"

Never said it was a crappy game, just thought and hoped it would be more competitive. When you don't really have a dog in the race, you at least hope for a close race.

And, I'd agree, Denver got beat all around by a team that was absolutely dominant in the game. I think that there are a lot of people who just don't like Manning and root for him to fail, probably the same with Brady.

#gmstrong.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
lot of people are just tired of them. They have dominated the league for 15 years. Enough already.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I love football.... and if it's my team, I would have enjoyed the hell out of them dominating somebody... but as a fan who wanted to see a good game? What I saw was a great performance by the Seahawks but a crappy game... and yes, my definition of a "good game" is one that is still in doubt late in the game...

yebat' Putin
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'll just say it- PED'S.

Maybe not even illegal ones (yet) either. No way Seattle DBs were THAT much faster than broncos WR's.

I didnt care who won, i like them both, but that disparity was too much.

The D-line was catching the RB's from behind. Almost all the time. And that was after rushing the passer.

i saw seattle over the year several times, and ALL the players cant get that fast, that quickly.

I smell a rat.

Mark my words 10 yrs from now a player will write a book and shed some light on it.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, that is incredibly lame.

Legend
Legend
somebody lost some money on vegas bets.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Wow. I'm agreeing with Vers.

That's what defensive football looks like when it's being played at its peek. Eleven players working as one. Playing for each other. For themselves. Leaving it on all on the field in the biggest game of their collective lives.

It's hard being a Browns fan.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 02/04/14 08:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
To play devil's advocate, hasn't a large portion of the team been busted for drugs (in some form) over the past 2 years?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Legend
Legend
S
Wasn't able to get my thoughts on this game out until now...

Congrats to Seattle. Always good to see a city that has had some bad luck with sports come through...

I was just amazed at how fast their defense looked. It wasn't as noticeable in the NFC Championship, which tells you how good SF is... Maybe I should take back some of the things I said about Kap, because with hindsight, he did well against a great defense.

It's just amazing how this league works. Seattle was against the ropes in their own house and Kap threw a bad pass when they were rolling (I think had he run for another first, they find a way to score and win) and then 2 weeks later they're champs.

Look at Baltimore last year... They were finished in Denver, FINISHED. Then Flacco throws that madden-esque bomb to Jacoby Jones and 2 weeks later, they're champs. Amazing. This league is almost as much about luck as it is about being damn good.

I do find it funny that the sentiment around football fans, especially hearing Browns fans now is that all of a sudden you don't need a QB to win... You can win with defense. I don't think that's true at all but you do need a great defense and it sure as hell doesn't hurt.

It's as if they forget how horrible this team was with Charlie Whitehurst... Also, this team is currently making football fans forget how terrible Pete Carroll was in his first NFL run...

On the other side though, the offensive stats for Seattle were mind blowing...

Wilson 18/25 for 206 and 2 TD's

Lynch was 15 for 39 (very richardson-esque)

Harvin did have those 2 good end around plays for 45 yards...

Their WR group did not feature anyone with more than 6 catches. Two guys had 60 yards and change...

I understand the way the game went dictated Seattle not pressing on offense. They pretty much just kept it simple because Denver was imploding, but I felt after the first few series' that Seattle would be able to one up anything Denver was doing.

It felt like a college game. The NFL with parity keeps these games pretty even, and it usually comes down to the last few possessions in the 4th quarter, especially when you are deep in the playoffs. This game had the feel of Alabama-Notre Dame even though the way Seattle dominated was a little different.

I'm not much of a super bowl guy. I usually don't do parties but just take it easy at home. It's more depressing than anything else because it signals the end of football, and it is another year in the books where it isn't the Browns. I get more excited when it's my own team playing, even if they are horrible.

As far as championship games go, the SB is behind the Stanley Cup final and the NBA finals as far as my interest goes.

Legend
Legend
Hopefully no one posted this yet... not that it matters, but it is breaking news:

'Seahawks star Richard Sherman says they cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code during the Super Bowl so they were able to predict every play'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...edict-play.html

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
What a thug. Stealing other people's plays? Ugh. So beyond this

Legend
Legend
The line about Sherman having a drink in his hand during the interview was so pointless and annoying.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

And why would you say that without any reasoning, Vers? Isnt this a board for discussion, not name-calling?

Why do you think Seattle was faster, stronger, had more energy?

We've all played, sometimes there are games like that, esp if the losing team in the SB is a team of rookies, but that was not the case here.

Are you gonna take the position there are no drugs/PED's in the NFL?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

To play devil's advocate, hasn't a large portion of the team been busted for drugs (in some form) over the past 2 years?

Thank you.

Legend
Legend
I blame the MLB mostly.

A guy can't have a great year without someone automatically assuming they're on PEDs. And most of the time they are..

Just because Seattle played better means they're all on drugs? Really?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you.

For weed and other drugs, no PEDs.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

And why would you say that without any reasoning, Vers? Isnt this a board for discussion, not name-calling?

We've all played, sometimes there are games like that, esp if the losing team in the SB is a team of rookies, but that was not the case here.

Are you gonna take the position there are no drugs/PED's in the NFL?

I wasn't calling you names and of course it is for discussion.

I am sorry but I have a problem w/you calling them cheaters and then giving yourself a 10 year window to prove yourself right. No one is going to remember these posts in 10 years. Therefore, you are basically calling them cheaters w/out any proof at all.

My "opinion" is that you are making an a hurtful, outrageous claim that has no factual support. I do not think that is fair at all.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll just say it- PED'S.

Maybe not even illegal ones (yet) either. No way Seattle DBs were THAT much faster than broncos WR's.

I didnt care who won, i like them both, but that disparity was too much.

The D-line was catching the RB's from behind. Almost all the time. And that was after rushing the passer.

i saw seattle over the year several times, and ALL the players cant get that fast, that quickly.

I smell a rat.

Mark my words 10 yrs from now a player will write a book and shed some light on it.

Here's why:

'Seahawks star Richard Sherman says they cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code during the Super Bowl so they were able to predict every play'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...edict-play.html

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
To stop Brady and Manning now, you need to play press and get in the WRs grills. Manning and Brady dink and dunk you to death. If WRs do catch short passes, you smash them in the face. Brady and Mannings offenses rely on precision and timing. If you throw them off by 1-2 seconds the play breaks down.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I believe the Patriots did this to the Colts years ago. They basically smashed the WRs to death every single play. Lead to the Colts complaining to the league about it if I remember correctly.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I believe the Patriots did this to the Colts years ago. They basically smashed the WRs to death every single play. Lead to the Colts complaining to the league about it if I remember correctly.

Yup.

It's why I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Manning get embarrassed. Denver uses a ton of illegal picks. So to counter, Seattles secondary smashed them every time they could legally. Seattle bitch slapped Manning and his WRs.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Yup.

It's why I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Manning get embarrassed. Denver uses a ton of illegal picks. So to counter, Seattles secondary smashed them every time they could legally. Seattle bitch slapped Manning and his WRs.

yes, they did, but you mentioned they got in the WRs grills and threw off their timing, which is not what happened the majority of the time in the Superbowl. It was what Peyton/Gase were expecting, but Seattle chose to instead sit in a short zone and have their CBs and Ss come up and hit the WRs when they caught the ball. Because they were sitting in the short zone, they didn't have to worry about being picked (they weren't blindly following their man across the field). It was a beautiful adjustment that Denver never countered.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He didn't call you a name, he said your opinion was lame. You made the assertion that they were on PEDs because they played on a different level than the Broncos.. your only reasoning is that they were better, therefore PEDs must be the reason... it's a pretty serious assertion with absolutely no proof what-so-ever other than they looked that much better.

Quote:

I think they appeared to be the first two because of the last one. From the opening safety to some of the hits Seattle put on Denver in their first couple possessions, I think Denver was intimidated. Much like I thought some of the 49ers were intimidated a couple weeks before.

Seattle looked like Baltimore's defense from the early 2000s.. they were everywhere and they hit you hard when they got there.

Seattle's whole team, but especially the defense, did what most people say they wish still happened in football, they flew to the ball and gang tackled, they tackled hard, they tackled correctly, they wrapped up and they drove through, they punched out the ball when they could, the offense was efficient, not spectacular but they didn't have to be, they threw in a few gadgets but for the most part they were just efficient, very good on 3rd down of keeping drives alive... this is EXACTLY how many people on here say football should be played... So we finally get to see it on the biggest stage and your first response is.. it had to be PEDs... I have to agree with vers, I think your opinion is lame. You are entitled to your opinion but you better come with more than.. they looked faster and stronger to back it up.

yebat' Putin
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2013 Super Bowl Discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard