Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I wanted to respond to this post by jifenant and also to what Portland said, because I think you guys are misinterpreting my point:

Quote:

Quote:
I mean.............why do so many of you feel the need to share how "unexcited" you are? Who cares?

Do you realize how arrogant that sounds? I for one care why someone would be unimpressed with this hire. If you don't care, don't read it.

Quote:
Being disinterested is not worth talking about.

I disagree....in a thread discussing the the hiring of a new coach, most rational people want to hear all sides of the story....including why someone finds the decision uninspiring. If you want a thread with only positive takes on the hire, start one.

Quote:
Or, is it that you don't want us to care, too?

After being on this forum practically since it's inception, I don't think I've ever seen someone's opinion changed solely by another's posts once they've taken a stand.

I'm not excited about this hire, and I understand people wanting to see activity in the win column before jumping on board. After what we've been through, how can anybody in their right mind expect otherwise?

I wasn't being arrogant and I fully understand why people are apathetic or taking a wait-and-see approach. That makes perfect sense.

My point is it's kinda hard to believe guys don't care when they take the time to post something about it.

For example.............I never talk about figure skating. I don't talk about soccer. I don't talk about fine brandy. I don't talk about many things. The reason why I don't talk about them is because "I don't care."

Who the hell talks about things they don't care about? I find it hard to believe.

I actually get anger. I get depression. I get being skeptical. I get being leery. I just don't get "not caring." If you didn't care, you wouldn't talk about it. That's all I was saying.

I do think some are trying to influence others w/their statements of "not caring," but that is just my personal opinion.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
There is a difference between not caring and being unexcited.

People are here because they care. But hearing Jimmy say the same things about Pettine that he said about Chud is not exciting.

I know you love the front office and feel every decision they make is great. If you expect me to share that point of view, it's not going to happen.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Let me get this out of the way:

Quote:

I know you love the front office and feel every decision they make is great. If you expect me to share that point of view, it's not going to happen.

"I never said I love the front office OR that every decision they make is great. Don't put words in my mouth. Read my posts. That's not what I said. What I said is that I support the front office no matter what."

[End Scene]

(Versatile Dog, this is a joke.)

J
Legend
Legend
J
First off, I didn't see anyone who said they didn't care. If fact, here is what you said:

Quote:

why do so many of you feel the need to share how "unexcited" you are?

Unexcited is much different than not caring. I think you know that the attitude you are having issues with is not even close to people not talking about figure skating, etc., because they don't "care" or have interest in the subject.

I realize you are having a very difficult time with those of us who are skeptical and who see some issues already with this new group. But, you aren't going to shut us up, or make us feel that our opinions are crap because they don't fall in line with your's.

You know these people care, and I still haven't seen anyone say they don't, so that argument with the brandy, soccer, figure skating thing is strange, to say the least.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

I realize you are having a very difficult time with those of us who are skeptical and who see some issues already with this new group. But, you aren't going to shut us up, or make us feel that our opinions are crap because they don't fall in line with your's.

Yeah Jules...........that's what it's all about.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't talk about fine brandy.

I don't know...especially if there is a tasting involved...

Pettine is a tough guy but if you saw his video clip from the Jet camp he was not a yell and scream tough guy. Although I could swear when a guy on the sidelines was cracking a silly joke he wanted to rip him a new head but knew he was on camera so just bit his lip.

But I like his Character...usually a team will mirror the character of the HC if he coaches long enough.

He most definitely know how to make Winners and not just any winners but LOSERS into Winners - he gets it.

I love the fact that our defense which I thought was outstanding and the real part of last year that I was upset on starting over, should basically be an easy transition cause we will have a very similar D in philosophy and he can coach it in 3-4 or 4-3 form but was weened on it via 3-4.

The O...tough to talk about cause we don't have a clue in the Hire and what kind of Scheme/s the new OC is about!

I started to get into Kubiak but then realized he had a health problem last year and the One Year Paid vacation probably would be good for him so the timing isn't right but man that would have been fun!

What dawgs completely forget about is that the Talent is here. I remember several years ago...maybe even a decade as time flies by. But I resisted Diam's insisting we will not be good and the reasoning from him was we simply did not have the talent. He was right.

I think we finally do have the talent...and the bulk of it is drafted talent. Adding on to what Chud had to start with we got a Serviceable at the least QB (Hoyer) Bryant on the DL (FA), Kruger OLB (FA), Mingo OLB (Draft) and several other rookies who will contribute more - McFadden and others.

Then we have the FA market in 2014 with the most Cap room in the NFL. 10 draft picks with half of them in the first 3 rounds...3 in the top 35.

I like Pettine...I think he will be good for us. But he also is the RIGHT GUY AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.

This has nothing to do with Palmer, Butch, RAC, Mangini, Shurmur or Chud.

This is a new time - The Browns are ready in history to make their move to prominence! It has nothing to do with Haslam. I think he made a mistake with the Reboot but I don't think he built on that mistake...its done and we are moving on. Banner I like his prospects in when we build this baby it will be rotated with out with the old and in with the new at a well conceived pace.

Lombardi...phew...I have no clue - what I do like is FARMER...what I do know is he has been the guy checking out QBs first hand, he is the guy at the Senior Bowl.

as always JMHO everybody has their own pace of acceptance what I do know is Vers you better bring out some bottles of that fine Brandy when we get there

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We don't need a guy with some outstanding offensive mind. Just a sound plan that utilizes our players strengths that we can work.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

We don't need a guy with some outstanding offensive mind. Just a sound plan that utilizes our players strengths that we can work.

My take, we don't need a guy with some outstanding offensive mind. Just a sound plan and a QB that can play above average for 8-10 games, average for 5-7 more, and not melt down completely for the remaining 2-3.. A great QB will make an average OC look like a genius. The crap we've fielded at QB since '99 would make a 'genius' unemployed.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Perfect!

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Originally Posted: PortlandDawg
Not to answer for others but...
No, but I also don't understand the overly positive mindset either. This guy has proven nothing. We've heard his speeches flow from other coaches lips. It's all lip service until the season starts and the wins or losses start coming.
No coach would have me singing their praises at this point. Just win. Until then I'm not falling for coach speak or rah rah fandom.
I've read posters statements like, "He looks like a coach." How is that really adding to the conversation? Vermeil cried. Dungy was mousey quiet. They both won.
Get this team a franchise QB and the rest will work itself out. Whether the coach is young, old, bald or graying. A screamer or a saint.
Coach is just a placeholder unless we get a QB. So I'll get excited when we get a QB. Whoever is coaching when that occurs will 'look like a coach'. I'll get excited then.

I hear what you're saying Portland. When I listened to that press conference I nodded when I heard things like:
-Toughness especially mentally toughness is important.
-Players will be held accountable at all times.
-The strategy should be built around the players instead of trying to change a player to fit a certain approach.
However, I also had a nagging feeling that the PR guys had been grilling Pettine for the last two hours and the fans were just being told what we wanted to hear. So I figured I needed to find out more about this guy before I chose what to believe. The more I found out about Pettine the more I liked him, as he is definitely a man who lives his convictions.

I dig what you're saying about the importance of getting a franchise qb as well, but I really don't think the head coach is "nothing more than a place holder." It is going to take a strong leader to turn this thing around. I don't see any teams putting an offensive and defensive coordinator in place and then calling it good. The identity of a team is inexorably linked to the head coach. That does not mean that the coach needs to hoot and holler all the time. Dick Vermeil's tears did not make him any less a leader of men; they were indicative of his passion. While Tony Dungy was "mousy quiet" he was also intensely focused. He's the kind of guy who doesn't speak empty words.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry, The thought that Pettines words in his presser were basically scripted his complete horse crap!

I wouldn't bet a nickel he'd compromise himself and play such a ridiculous game.

I suppose he had a teleprompter like old you know who!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
By placeholder I meant that he'll be just another name placard removed from an office door in 3 years if we don't find a QB. Yes the coaches intensity and leadership is a big factor. That can come in many different packages. But without a franchise QB coaches don't last long in the NFL. Especially in Cleveland.
Coach P will go as far as the FO takes him. They have to get it right or another ax will fall.

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Mutt, I didn't mean to imply that I actually think Pettine's remarks were scripted. It was more of a reflection of how we as fans have been groomed to look for the worst after such a long streak of futility. I thought my comment about Pettine being a man who lived his convictions got that across. My bad.

Last edited by VarmintKong; 01/25/14 05:03 PM.

#gmstrong

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Sorry, The thought that Pettines words in his presser were basically scripted his complete horse crap!

I wouldn't bet a nickel he'd compromise himself and play such a ridiculous game.

I suppose he had a teleprompter like old you know who!

I don't think he was saying that they were scripted but it was a bunch of coach speak. Listen to any coaches pressers when they're being introduced. They all come from the same page in the same book.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know. Pettine pretty much said we had weaknesses physically and with mental toughness.
Sure there was bit of rah rah we have great guys and such but I also heard you're going to be graded constantly and held accountable. This guy's is a 180 from Chud IMO.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

By placeholder I meant that he'll be just another name placard removed from an office door in 3 years if we don't find a QB. Yes the coaches intensity and leadership is a big factor. That can come in many different packages. But without a franchise QB coaches don't last long in the NFL. Especially in Cleveland.
Coach P will go as far as the FO takes him. They have to get it right or another ax will fall.

I can't argue that. I made the comment that a team's identity is linked to the head coach and I would have to say that a coaches livelihood is inseparable to his quarterbacks success. Everything I have heard, read, and seen in regards to Pettine leads me to believe that if the potential is there he will extract it.

#gmstrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

It's really starting to dwell and become a big concern for me. Who the heck is the offensive coordinator going to be? This hire could really make or break this guy and his success here in Cleveland.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'm just going to sit and wait to see who the new HC wants as his OC.

I'm not going to get all bent over nothing.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
My advice for Pettine 1) Never ever say the word process. 2) Ask the front office to start thinking about achieving success instead of trying to sustain success. 3) Don't let your daughter back on twitter. 4) Don't tell fans that your kids don't like the team colors. 5) Don't change the name of the 'Dawg Pound' to the 'Pettine Zoo' 6) Win now. Thanks.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[quote

boy, I am...after all that's the lowest hanging fruit on the "woe is me" tree

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I don't think he was saying that they were scripted but it was a bunch of coach speak. Listen to any coaches pressers when they're being introduced. They all come from the same page in the same book.

I don't think that's the case at all. That's why I linked to the introductory pressers for Pettine and for Chudzinski. So that they could be compared. To me, at least, the comparison showed a stark difference between the two men.

I suppose you could have gone back to pick up the video for Shurmur's hiring too and added it to the mix. In fact, here they are again (with Shurmur's added). First will be Shurmur, then Chudzinski and then Pettine.

-----

Shurmur

http://www.youtube.com/v/tKL-_8lS2zE

And the DawgTalkers discussion on it.

-----

Chudzinski

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/0ap2000000124836/Haslam-introduces-Chudzinski-as-new-HC

Curiously, I couldn't find the talk about him on the message board.

-----

Pettine

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...56-4bef1ca3ee5b

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not proclaiming anything. I like the hiring of Pettine. I'm just not going to get into the debate about this coordinator or that one.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not proclaiming anything. I like the hiring of Pettine. I'm just not going to get into the debate about this coordinator or that one.

hell, I'm not even going to get into a debate over Pettine.. What's the use. He is what he is and what he'll be. If he gets support, gets a QB and a Running game and another WR close to Gordon he'll win games. Just like I'm sure Chud would have done with those things.

If he doesn't get them, then more heads will roll next January.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm going to say the next heads to roll will be a couple of guys who wears suits on their jobs...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm going to say the next heads to roll will be a couple of guys who wears suits on their jobs...

I would assume Lombardi would be the next virgin sacrificed in the volcano

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with your view of things regarding the hiring of our new HC.

He "won" the press conference the other day. Which is better than looking bad to be sure. But I thought Mangini looked pretty good in his opening presser and we all know how that turned out.

It all boils down to who the next QB is and how does he play. Will they stick with Hoyer and use the two # 1's to fill other roster holes (this is my bet on what they'll do). Or will they go for Manziel, Bortles, etc.? Bad QB play=New HC in 2 or 3 years. And possibly a new FO. Haslam sure as hell isn't firing himself if things go south again.

I want this guy to be our Mike Ditka or Vince Lombardi. But until he's got a winning record as Browns HC he's just another guy in a (too) long line of guys who thought they had what it takes.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe.. or Pettine might be looking next January. If that happens, I know candidates will feel as if this situation is toxic.

But, speaking or toxic, look at washington, that's toxic, but they always find a coach, and so will we.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

As much heat as Lombardi takes around this realm, I don't have much of a problem with him. I don't think he deserves it (and Banner neither) so I'm not willing to sacrifice him.

If he had any part in the moves they've made so far, I don't have a problem with him.

While it's true that we don't know yet what Pettine can do, they (including Lombardi) have tried to change the culture of losing in Cleveland. They did it by firing Holmgren & Co. but by hiring a supposed 'offensive-minded' HC. It didn't go so well. Chudzinski was too meek to get the job done.

It seems they went with a coach with more credentials this time but on the defensive side of the ball (after the Ray Horton debacle), because something had to change. Maybe it was Horton's lack of production on the defensive side of the ball that got Chudzinski fired. Curiously, Horton remained tight-lipped after the firing of Chudzinski but Turner was very outspoken about it.

It appeared to me that Pettine projects confidence. Is it false confidence? Maybe. Did Chudzinski project confidence? Not really. He might have projected an air of loyalty and maybe even competence to a certain level, but that's the same as confidence. Projecting confidence will make those who are led better at their own jobs. Competence only projects to the person projecting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pettine is one of the few HC hires that I am optimistic about since the return.

I disliked the hiring of Palmer, Crennel and Mangini
I hated the hire of Shurmur
I was ambivalent to Chud. More of an Eh, let's see what we have.
I liked the Butch hire. Too bad Butch the GM couldn't draft talent or manage the salary cap.

So with Pettine, I am cautiously optimistic. Been snakebit too many times to jump in with both feet.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I am Mr. Glass Half Full normally.

But this:

Quote:

So with Pettine, I am cautiously optimistic. Been snakebit too many times to jump in with both feet.

I'm taking it one step at a time.. Not jumping to any conclusions. Other than what's right in front of me.

He sounded humble and confident at the same time in his presser. I liked the man. Now what remains is for me to decide to like the coach.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Been snakebit too many times to jump in with both feet.

I hear this loud n' clear!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
While I technically agree with what you say here, I have made no bones that I did not like the Lombardi hire and indeed view it as the worse decision this new FO/ Owner has made.

I assume he has had some input in the decisions made and I guess in fairness I should give him some of the credit, but the fact he is so far behind the scenes that I am not sure what he role is and how much he really is involved in final decisions, save as a vessel for input.

My thought here was that if things go bad and if heads need to be chopped, I would assume he would be next, Haslam aint going no where and I do not think Banner and Lombardi are as connected at the hip as they once were. In fact given what I perceive to be Banner's self protection mode he would be wise to distance himself a little from Lombardi so that he is not dragged down as well.

#gmstrong

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pettine is one of the few HC hires that I am optimistic about since the return.

I disliked the hiring of Palmer, Crennel and Mangini
I hated the hire of Shurmur
I was ambivalent to Chud. More of an Eh, let's see what we have.
I liked the Butch hire. Too bad Butch the GM couldn't draft talent or manage the salary cap.

I can certainly understand that. With his degree in economics from the University of Virginia's Darden School of Business, they might be able to replace Banner as the salary cap guru in short order if Pettine is willing to take on the responsibilities.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

While I technically agree with what you say here, I have made no bones that I did not like the Lombardi hire and indeed view it as the worse decision this new FO/ Owner has made.

I assume he has had some input in the decisions made and I guess in fairness I should give him some of the credit, but the fact he is so far behind the scenes that I am not sure what he role is and how much he really is involved in final decisions, save as a vessel for input.

My thought here was that if things go bad and if heads need to be chopped, I would assume he would be next, Haslam aint going no where and I do not think Banner and Lombardi are as connected at the hip as they once were. In fact given what I perceive to be Banner's self protection mode he would be wise to distance himself a little from Lombardi so that he is not dragged down as well.

I'm not sure that Lombardi or Banner were ever joined at the hip. I really don't know where that notion comes from. It's actually possible that Lombardi has connections to Haslam via Lombardi's gig at the NFL Network.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Lombardi has done a lot of collegiate scouting for the Browns, in particular....Johnny Manziel. I am not sure about that, but it's what I hear.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I felt pretty much the same way as you did.

I like the Mike Pettine hire. The Butch Davis hire was the last time I was fired up about the announced hire. Still think Butch is a good coach. He need a better FO when he was here.

I was dissapointed about the Chris Palmer hire. I was so excited about the team coming back and all the big names being floated about Palmer was a real cluncker.

I was cautiously optimistic about Eric Mangini.

Very blah about Romeo, Shurmer, and Chud.

I like tough coaches whose personalities are larger than the team. Their intensity resonates thru the entire team. That is the reason I have been holding out hope that Cower and Gruden would come here. I think Pettine has that kind of personality and will be good for this franchise.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Although a Homer who rah rah's on all hires. I too like this hire, I think he has that Super Star quality in him - I don't know maybe its the bald head and the scowl?

I agree about your Butch assessment - a shame he had to try to do it all cause he relied on that little college black book of his way too much. Fazio and Arians were excellent coaches things went to heck after they left.

I think you were wrong about Mangini cause I followed him closely and was so happy - but he too fell a lot because he didn't have a Personnel guy. He relied on Kokinos that first draft as he got the organization and staff and for some reason...Koke burnt out. Many thought it was Mangini trying to do it all but that wasn't so he covered for Koke as much as he could. What GM gets fired months into his reign? There was some terrible things and Mangini didn't say a word and took the hit.

But I get it you either loved him or hate him. I doubt anything I say will convert your thoughts...lol but I saw him in a similar gaff with Butch...if they had good Personnel guys - we wouldn' t be int this situation now. My goodness Mangini won games where we had like 9 passes another we had like 18 yards in the air. He beat the Pats and the Saints with a 3rd round rookie QB...the man could coach. As for jobs afterwards. His paid vacation from football ended in 2013 and he got a job as consultant with the 49ers. On offense no less. He knows football.

Pettine will have a chore to do but his biggest obstacle is to get all the players back on board and I love the hire cause he seems to be good at it. Also the guys was born to be a HC - he played enough to understand that aspect but he grew up coaching...analyzing see the game like others do not. I probably am over reacting but I think we got our Super Star HC... Finally! Now all we need is that superstar QB and we have a championship caliber team!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
J/C
It's a shame that we have to keep rehashing old coaches and memories and rely on yet another to lead us to some respectability. Hopefully, we can keep this guy for the next decade and it will be hard to even think of who those old coaches were
Winning cures all ills, so here's to that!!
Go Browns!!!

#gmstrong.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

Maybe everyone won't continue to ignore my posts!

Did you say something?

You're right.............it is sad that we have had so many failed coaches.

Oh well..........let's hope this is the one. After all, a man needs hope in order to carry on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Pettine as HC--cont.

Link Copied to Clipboard