Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Legend
Legend
while last year suffered, man Kyle tailored that offense so well to RG3 when he was first drafted. the ONLY thing that killed it was rg3 injuries. that offense was simply unstoppable.

i hope we get Teddy. i bet Gordon is going to be foaming at the mouth for the positions Shanahan is gonna put him in, he might get to that 1800 yard mark next season.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

I just want Flash to reach his full potential here and I don't think it'll be done with Shanny at the helm.

Wouldn't you agree that Andre Johnson reached his potential?

Quote:

That said the reports on Shanny Jr. are all worse. It says he demeans his players, does nothing, but complain. Cries to his dad a lot. Just spoiled rich kid behavior to wrap it up.

I am not finding these reports. I am not saying they don't exist. If you would like to provide them for me I would love to read them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The guy does come off as a total ass. I do like the offense he runs however. We will see how he does.

Now as for whomever said they would quit watching football if the browns drafted Manziel? what the hell. There are plenty of reasons to quit watching the Browns but to quit because they draft a kid that plays each possession like it is the final play of his career, wow. Drafting Manziel may be the only thing that will pull me back into watching the Browns.

Gonna make for an interesting draft.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I will probably throw something and curse if we take Manziel, but I certainly won't give up on the team, nor would my reasons for being upset be so simplistic as 'because I don't like the guy'.

I really didn't like Quinn coming out, mainly because I never saw an NFL QB there, but also because he's an ass and a loser. So I can understand a dislike of a guy coloring one's view. But there has to be more than 'I don't like him' to elicit such aversion.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Possibly frustration. Maybe dad second guessed everything he did. Maybe Kubiak kept him within certain parameters. Who knows.
I do know the RGIII rookie season looked pretty good and a nobody RB ran all over the league.

I'd suggest doing what we're all going to have to do anyway.
Relax, wait and see what goes down.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Eh, I guess. I just want Flash to reach his full potential here and I don't think it'll be done with Shanny at the helm. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

I've read all of the Mangini and Daboll reports from the pop quizzes, the fumbles, the "toughening up", to the whole authoritative dictatorship that they ran in Cleveland. That said the reports on Shanny Jr. are all worse. It says he demeans his players, does nothing, but complain. Cries to his dad a lot. Just spoiled rich kid behavior to wrap it up.

That concerns me. I'm not a fan of demeaning players.

If anyone thinks the delay in hiring Shanny is weird. Don't forget we waited forever to hire Turner last year because he was on vacation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As far as demeaning players, I think Pettine will have his staff and team tight. IF Shanny is like that my guess is Pettine squashes it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would prefer Bridgewater..more of a passer..and has a good arm.Doesn't rely on his feet to make a play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love Bridgewater as a passer but he is a small human. I go maybe 210-215 and I have him by atleast 20 pounds and probably more. I am grading him as last I saw him but he has time to bulk up a bit. Right now however, he is a mid rounder that will need to physically mature before I would play him at thenext level. Guys we are talking 185-190 and that is probably with pads on seriously.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And the West Coast Offense returns to Cleveland..... as long as the front office drafts us a running back, we WILL run the ball next season. I am very cool with this hire. I think our line is much better suited to the zone blocking scheme. Shanahan and Kubiack always had good running games. Plug in a back and watch them kick ass. I was a little surprised Kyle didn't get an interview as a HC candidate by one of the teams this year. He is young. But I still thought he'd at least get an interview. Finally some good news. If Pettine doesn't work out, perhaps the younger Shanahan will be ready....

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I actually think the offensive line is poorly suited to run the ZBS and the majority of the players need replaced, especially the guards but Schwartz could easily be targeted too.

you had a good run Hank.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Quote:

It used to be that when a title like that showed up here, there was a link to a REAL STORY where it was verified.

ESPN.com

NFL.com

Sports Illustrated

National Football Post

CBS

Washington Post

Thank you!

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Shanahan and Simms are close friends, and Shanahan has a tattoo of Simms' initials on his leg.

Getting the initials CS on your leg? Sounds like they were cellmates not teammates.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
This guy is SPOT-ON.

QB would be key for Shanahan in Cleveland

By Matt Williamson | ESPN.com

The Cleveland Browns are rumored to be very interested in hiring Kyle Shanahan to be their new offensive coordinator. This would be a very good opportunity for Shanahan to get out of the shadow of his father as well as presumably develop a young, talented quarterback, which is a great path to take for a potential head coaching job in the future.

But let's discuss the scheme that Shanahan would be employing and how Cleveland's current personnel fits what Shanahan wants to do, as well as what the Browns would have to address on this side of the ball.

In the Shanahans' offense, everything starts with their zone-running scheme. As most know, this running game needs offensive linemen with great movement skills, and they can compromise size and to some degree, power, for agility, quickness and great body control.

This offense calls for a lot of designed quarterback movement as well as an extensive play-action package. Obviously Robert Griffin is an extreme athlete and with him the Redskins can do a great deal of read-option, but this offense has been successful with lesser, but somewhat underrated athletes, such as Matt Schaub and Jay Cutler. Being able to move is a must for quarterbacks in this scheme. Considering his familiarity, maybe Shanahan would have interest in trading for Kirk Cousins to be his starter in Cleveland, but the most likely scenario is the Browns drafting a quarterback such as Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel or Derek Carr for Shanahan to develop. Brian Hoyer will be an excellent backup, but most likely, the Browns' starting quarterback is not currently on their roster.

On the offensive line, Joe Thomas -- an elite pass protector -- really fits any scheme. He is on pace for a potential Hall of Fame career, and most importantly should be able to secure the blind side of the Browns' new quarterback, which of course should make the new signal-caller's transition easier. At right tackle, Mitchell Schwartz isn't incredibly light on his feet, but that is not a weakness of his, either. He has entrenched himself as a quality starter, and the Browns have no reason to make a change at this position.

The interior for Cleveland is a different story. In the middle, Alex Mack is a free agent and will cost quite a bit to retain. But I think it is a move that Cleveland should make. While he isn't the most physical guy or a true mauler in the middle, Mack does move very well and having an established high-end anchor in the middle of this line to team with the pair of tackles should allow Shanahan and the new quarterback to succeed at a more rapid rate early in their development. Guard was a need when the season ended and would be exacerbated with the implementation of Shanahan's offense. John Greco is a quality starting guard overall, but is a questionable scheme fit, while Shawn Lauvao -- another free agent-to-be -- does not fit this scheme well at all. Letting Lauvao walk seems like an easy decision for Cleveland if Shanahan is indeed hired. Jason Pinkston is also in the mix and is a bit of a wild card considering his injury history. If the Browns keep Mack, adding a starting caliber guard in free agency or high in the draft would be wise. If Mack leaves, the interior of this unit will need plenty of work.

While the Shanahans have an outstanding history of turning mid-round draft picks into very productive NFL running backs, Cleveland, which might have the worst stable of backs in the league, definitely needs to address this position. Even before Shanahan was in the mix, the Browns were rumored to be interested in Ben Tate, who is an ideal fit. Edwin Baker also was impressive to finish the season and Dion Lewis will be returning from injury. That duo would provide quality depth, as Willis McGahee, a free agent, won't be brought back.

In terms of the receiving options, the Browns' cupboard isn't as bare as many would think. First off, this offense stresses getting the ball to a difference maker at the X receiver position, where guys like Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson and Pierre Garcon have thrived and posted huge numbers as the team's top option. Josh Gordon is perfect for this role. The No. 2 wide receiver isn't a featured player in this offense. Shanahan demands his wide receivers to be good run blockers. Remember, everything stems from the running game in this offense. The blocking aspect and a new coach could favor Greg Little, who has the stature and after-the-catch skills required, but continues to be very inconsistent catching the football. While Little could rebound strong in this environment -- and with some stability at quarterback -- the Browns still need to bring in at least one more quality option at this position.

Of course much hinges on the development of the Browns' new young quarterback, but overall, there is a lot for Shanahan to work with here if he does in fact get the job. Not to mention, Cleveland has a lot of cap space and draft picks to fill these needs. This could be a much improved offense in 2014.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It used to be that when a title like that showed up here, there was a link to a REAL STORY where it was verified.

ESPN.com

NFL.com

Sports Illustrated

National Football Post

CBS

Washington Post

What's your point? I said it was probably true and that I believed it...

And I want you to notice something, All those reports except the NFL.com report by Rappaport are using Marvez as their Source. And even he says that Shanahan WILL be hired. He doesn't say he HAS been hired.

So all the hubbub is based on a tweet by one guy.

The title of this thread is misleading. There is commentary that he WILL be hired,NO confirmation that he HAS been hired.

Posting links from Legit outlets doesn't change the fact that it's all based on a tweet.

Exactly why I don't like Twitter being used as a source.. (by the way, there are other tweets out there by different people saying other candidates are still in the mix)

Still, I believe it. it sounds about right. and I"m not the least bit upset by it.

Anyway, if you check out the NFL.com link you posted, they have a video up with Josh Gordon being interviewed.. He handled it pretty well when asked about how tough it was having had 3 different QB's.

Also saying he's excited by Derek Carr. Didn't see that coming. Our star WR likes Carr. Based on some posters here, you'd think that Carr was a slouch LOL

He mentioned that he liked Manzial and Bortles as well. FWIT

That same link talks about how Manzial will fit in with Shanahans offense well. Again, I wouldn't know.. Most of you know better than I about that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Twitter... bah, humbug.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Twitter... bah, humbug.

We are in the minority here Ddub

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bad Interview...pfft...that is the Bozo Rappaport covering his butt cause he make fun of us not hiring Shanahan before and was dead wrong. btw - when was this guy ever right? It seems he just throws stuff up against the wall hoping it will come true and then he can say he was the first to know. When he is dead wrong he makes excuses now its not he was DEAD WRONG its our guys didn't like his interview cause he was too candid and decided to change our minds and hire him

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
How does he have to be wrong.....maybe he is reporting exactly what happened?

Like Rapoport said, Shanahan came across overly blunt and initially turned the Browns' brass off. If I am not mistaken, Rapoport also reported Shanahan was still in the mix days ago.

Then after interviews of other candidate(s), perhaps the Browns thought he was the best option despite the shortcomings of the interview. I mean, who else was out there that the Browns were interesting in and how long were they willing to not have this thing wrapped up and move forward?

I mean, I'm indifferent about Rapoport and could really care less who reports what, but just maybe Rapoport reported the timeline and views w/ Shanahan exactly how it happened....

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
and initially turned the Browns' brass off.

That's where he was wrong, reporting that. Making us look fickle and inept in the process. So what happened to change that? Did we have another interview? The guy is full of crap and is trying so hard to be another Adam Schecter... same with La Confora

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
My question to you is how do you know that?..How do you know he was wrong about turning the Browns brass off? Just because we are apparently hiring him now? No, I don't necessarily believe that.

Many things could have happened along the way that changed the minds of the people in charge.

I also disagree that it tries to make us fickle and inept in the process. Fickle would have been going back and forth several times with candidates. We went back once....hardly fickle. And inept would be having several people turning us down for the OC position....that also has not happened. In fact, since Pettine has been hired, he responded rather quickly putting his team together. In no way, do I think Ian Rapoport is trying to make the team look bad....I know you don't like "bozos" but I think this is a giant reach.

We apparently look at this differently but I don't think there is any proof whatsoever that show Ian Rapoport being wrong about the brass "initially" not liking him.

Things have, and always will, change. This very well may be a good example of that....plus, we already had limited options as it is.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

This guy is SPOT-ON.

QB would be key for Shanahan in Cleveland

By Matt Williamson | ESPN.com

This is a very good article. Thanks for posting it.

I am not a huge fan of us going after Tate, but I won't complain too much. I'd rather we draft a guy in the middle rounds and pair him w/Lewis and Baker.

The guy was all over it in regards to the OL, although he thinks more highly of Schwartz than I do. The key is to get athletic guards and it is imperative we upgrade the RG spot. Thomas and Mack are perfect for a zone blocking scheme. They both can get downfield. Greco is somewhat tall for a guard, but he isn't bad at the second level. We could live w/Schwartz for another year.

Man, Teddy would be great in this offense. He is so freaking football smart. He would be a perfect fit. Manziel should excel, as well.

I like what he had to say about our receivers, although I still think we need a dependable route-runner.

Nice article, thanks again.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Memphis, Mary Kay reported Kyle was still in the mix. Ian came after washing down his story.

I feel Ian is a good reporter. I think Lombardi doesn't like very well. Whenever he reports something about the Browns, Mary Kay comes back with a contradicting report.

If you read or reread Mary Kay's Sahanahan hired story, she states:

Quote:

Shanahan's interview with the Browns on Wednesday went well and he became a frontrunner from the start. A report on NFL Network Thursday that it didn't go as planned and that the Browns had moved on from him was inaccurate, a source said.

Cleveland Browns finalizing deal for Kyle Shanahan to be new offensive coordinator By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group Follow on Twitter on February 01, 2014 at 1:09 PM, updated February 02, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Prior to Lombardi hire Mark Kay was never right about anything. This year she has been spot on. To me, it appears Lombardi is the source. I wish I had proof!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I second that...kudos on the post kwhip.

I am a firm believer our OL is adequate for now. Like to shore up other areas before cleaning up the guard position. I like to get another receiver to jump start or pass Little. I also like added depth at middle LB. Last but not least a couple of RBs. Lewis and Baker maybe acceptable along with an added rookie. I can't remember does Shanahan use a FB? If so, Browns might want to get one! I simply want solid depth. What good is it having better guards when the injury bug hits.

If Browns don't resign Ward, they will need someone and depth at safety is lacking regardless. Same goes for Mack if not signed. Yes, we slide Greco over, but what if he gets hurt.

I feel quality depth is needed much more than finding offensive guards. Don't forget we also have Faulk and Gilkey who may make leaps their second year.

By the way Vers, I know you have been strong on Tate. Why? I know he has the goods to be a starter, but as a backup he can't stay healthy. He is hurt every year. You really feel that is good chase? Personally I take my chances in the draft especially this year. Not slamming here simply curious what you are seeing.

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

I'm not sure how to feel about this hiring. In any case, with him or any other - going to boil down to qb play. Regardless of systems or schemes. Hoyer and whomever is spawned from the draft is going to have to ball it out. Weeden is a total non factor here, and likely will be released. Jason could possibly stick around as a mentor, locker room role but to rely on him, even for back up - questionable... Shawn Lauva and Grecco are going to need to step it big time in the zone blocking. Not sure they are capable of that.

We'll see what Kyle's system, and whoever qb is operating it - will do. Can't believe ClevelandBrowns.com hasn't made it official yet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Shanahan hire is true, and I hope it is, I'm very happy. I also think a couple adds like Su'a-Filo & Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill put us right where we need to be to run his Zone Blocking scheme. Round that out with a couple receivers like Benjamin, Robinson or Matthew & Beckham or Herron and this offense could explode behind a QB like Hoyer, Bridgewater or Manziel. Not super high on Manziel because he scares the crap outta with his size & potential immaturity issues, but I can't argue the fact that he would be very dynamic, can extend plays, stretch the field and has a real ability to find the open receiver.

Put all that together and we could have a really efficient and potent offense, with existing talent like Gordon, Cameron, Benjamin & Lewis (assuming Benji & Lewis are healthy).

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm not a big zone scheme fan.Age and my football preference has more to do with it than whether it's godd,bad,better or worse than a power scheme.
A coupla years we hosted Jim McNally (google him,he was one of the pioneers of Zone blocking in the NFL) thru the lessons during the day,and the beer drinking and BSing in the evenings,I gained one hellova an appreciation for coaching the scheme.
One thing he said stuck with me,it will take two years for a team converting to the zone to become proficient,not good,proficient.
Anyway,Mack and Pinkston should benefit from this change,Schwartz definately not,Greco,I'm not sure about.That other guy Gilkey? who the hell knows.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
E
Legend
Legend
E
How do you know he was wrong about turning the Browns brass off?

Ummm how bout the fact we hired him...so just how turned off were we?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

How do you know he was wrong about turning the Browns brass off?

Ummm how bout the fact we hired him...so just how turned off were we?

we do that in the military all the time. when we evaluate a soldier, sometimes we are put off in their thought processes, but we end up giving them a certain position because we realize while we didn't like how they came off, they were the best to fill that position.

so yea, the same exact thing could've been applied to shanahan.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It is entirely possible that he did turn off the Browns brass initially. Maybe he said something like "Look, the perception is that this is a horrible place to work. We are going to have to work overtime just to try and attract free agents, or spend heavily in the draft. I am not going to come into a job just to be fired a year later, so I want to know that you have a plan in place, and are willing to see it through."

I do seem to recall hearing that the younger Shanahan can be rather ...... blunt. Maybe that bluntness turned the Browns off, until they realized that he was right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I do seem to recall hearing that the younger Shanahan can be rather ...... blunt. Maybe that bluntness turned the Browns off, until they realized that he was right.

Or they were never turned off in the first place...

you had a good run Hank.
E
Legend
Legend
E
yeah I know Rapporpot is just a great journalist and our FO n Owner a bunch of stooges...I'm sick of the insults from the media about our Guys.

How bout this and it makes a lot more sense than Rapaport BS...

How bout we interviewed him and it actually went pretty good but he wanted to take a vacation before it was to be announced possibly we even covered some hires like QB coach and OL coach for him - but we were taking a big hit in the PR department so we leaked it out.

But nah it wouldn't be something as logical as that. Obviously these guys are a bunch of bumbling idiots...lol

So I got BOZO material vs. common sense...I'll go common sense until something Definite is out there to prove me wrong. I have no problems saying oops I'm wrong...actually Rappaport is the one with that problem...nah he couldn't be wrong so it has to be the bumbling idiots that threw him off.

Bozos The Owner n FO will have to do a lot more to have me miss trust them more than BOZOS

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It is entirely possible that he did turn off the Browns brass initially. Maybe he said something like "Look, the perception is that this is a horrible place to work. We are going to have to work overtime just to try and attract free agents, or spend heavily in the draft. I am not going to come into a job just to be fired a year later, so I want to know that you have a plan in place, and are willing to see it through."

My guess is that this is possibly what happened.

If so, and the Brass hired him anyway, it suggests that they got over any hurt feelings enough to hear the 'tough love' talk. Good on them, if this was the case.

Some of the most influential teachers I had were ruthlessly candid. Didn't kill me- made me better.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

By the way Vers, I know you have been strong on Tate. Why? I know he has the goods to be a starter, but as a backup he can't stay healthy. He is hurt every year. You really feel that is good chase? Personally I take my chances in the draft especially this year. Not slamming here simply curious what you are seeing.

I either wrote it wrong or you misunderstood. I am of the opinion that we should not go after Tate. I agree w/you that he has had injury concerns. I also think he puts it on the ground a bit too much. Additionally, I can't see overpaying him in free agency. I would rather draft a RB in the middle rounds and roll w/the rook, Lewis, and Baker.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.......I don't think there is a chance that is the way it went down. Man, you guys got it bad.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agree!

We battled, toughed it out, hung tough , competed, blah blah
blah. We sucked! Period!

Sometimes to change you have to look in the mirror, admit your faults and change course.

Possibly Shanny woke someone up.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL.......I don't think there is a chance that is the way it went down. Man, you guys got it bad.

Well... since we're all just speculating at this point- what would be your take on it?

Providing that the "rough interview" is even based in fact-

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really don't feel I have enough information to speculate on it.

However, I am fairly confident that the interview didn't go down the way YTown said. LOL

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
jc...

Word was that Shanahan told them that didn't care for the firing of the head coach after one season, and they initially weren't too pleased that he said as much.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh well..................looks as this is the direction this thread is going to take.

Let's not talk about KWhips article and how our current talent fits Shanny's offense. Let's not talk about Shanny's previous successes and struggles. Let's not talk about which qb might fit in best w/our new offense.

Let's talk about how Shanny dissed the FO and how our FO is so desperate that they hired him anyway. Yeah.............that's the ticket.

Look, we do NOT know if there is any truth at all to the what Rappaport reported. He's been wrong quite a bit recently. Look back to the BS he made up about Ben wanting out of Pittsburgh. But, even if the Browns were not giddy over his interview, do you think it may have possibly been along the lines of how much control of the offense that Pettine was willing to give him? Wouldn't that make sense on any kind of level, or is it that Shanny had to have insulted the FO?

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns hire Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator

Link Copied to Clipboard