Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
bonefish #847541 02/03/14 01:41 PM
Legend
Legend
I have a feeing that Campbell will be gone, no matter what happens with Weeden. IMHO, he made too many comments about losing his confidence to come back next year. I think that we start with Hoyer and a new QB ..... and see who we can pick up in free agency. Plus, we can cut Campbell and gain cap space. Weeden, for whatever it is worth, costs us cap space if we cut him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Damanshot #847542 02/03/14 01:41 PM
Legend
Legend
I think based on your previous comments towards twitter most assumed you were asking sarcastically.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Weeden, for whatever it is worth, costs us cap space if we cut him.

Ill start a fund

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Rex Grossman. . . come on down!

PDR #847545 02/03/14 01:56 PM
Legend
Legend
Can the pencil be broken? Not sure what Weedy's rock bottom price might be pushed to. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Damanshot #847546 02/03/14 02:00 PM
Legend
Legend
it was a just a jab. not serious at all, man

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Cousins is an interesting prospect but I don't think he would want to come here. The guy wants to be a starter, whether he's worthy of that is still TBD... He is not going to be happy being traded someplace where he has to compete with a top 10 pick or where he is the one year place holder while the top drafted pick prepares to take over.

I think Cousins might be decent but my thoughts have already been mentioned. I don't see him as a big upside over Hoyer and we already have Hoyer. I wouldn't be likely to give up much for Cousins.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #847548 02/03/14 03:27 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I wouldn't be likely to give up much for Cousins.

Nor me, which I would imagine Washington won't let him go for anything that I'd be willing to spend/give up to acquire him.

Dawg_LB #847549 02/03/14 04:20 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't be likely to give up much for Cousins.

Nor me, which I would imagine Washington won't let him go for anything that I'd be willing to spend/give up to acquire him.

If KShanny thinks he is better than what is out there and what we can draft... he will be the guy that knows. If we don't go after him... I can't see anyone wanting to go after him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Damanshot #847550 02/03/14 04:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're 100% right Daman.

There has been no "official report" saying he was hired. Until then it's all speculation.

It would be nice if the Twitter stuff was in a separate forum. It's not journalism and it's not news. For the most part it's rumors and speculation.

Stating the facts is not "being a hater'. Actually that term is nothing more than a feeble attempt to dissuade people from actually looking at truth and reality.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #847551 02/03/14 04:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Well I've seen multiple different places with "unofficial" reports then. ESPN, NFLN, and most sports sites are running it. And most aren't saying its a "rumor"

What's the difference between Adam Schefter writing a 200 word article saying something, and writing a 140 letter tweet that's basically a summary of the article?

ThatGuy #847552 02/03/14 04:30 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the problem. We see Tweets that turn out to be correct. I believe this one will turn out that way.

But so, so many of them don't end up that way. That's where the problem is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #847553 02/03/14 04:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You're 100% right Daman.

There has been no "official report" saying he was hired. Until then it's all speculation.

It would be nice if the Twitter stuff was in a separate forum. It's not journalism and it's not news. For the most part it's rumors and speculation.

Stating the facts is not "being a hater'. Actually that term is nothing more than a feeble attempt to dissuade people from actually looking at truth and reality.

Thank you,, you at least accept the premise that it may not be true. Myself, I think it's probably true. But I can't verify it. When we can, then we'll have something to talk about.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
predator16 #847554 02/03/14 04:33 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't want him. He hasn't proven he's any better than guys like Matt Flynn, Brian Hoyer, or Kevin Kolb. I suspect the Redskins would want at least a 1st rounder for him and he's nowhere near worth that. If he could be had for a 5th, fine. Anything more than that, I pray the team does not pursue him.

PitDAWG #847555 02/03/14 04:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Unless I see something from a guy like Schefter or Glazer I doubt I'd run with it. Even MKC is a little iffy.

As long as someone says "I got this from twitter" it's on you to determine if you want to believe it or not.

ThatGuy #847556 02/03/14 04:39 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well I've seen multiple different places with "unofficial" reports then. ESPN, NFLN, and most sports sites are running it. And most aren't saying its a "rumor"

What's the difference between Adam Schefter writing a 200 word article saying something, and writing a 140 letter tweet that's basically a summary of the article?

Here's something for you to ponder, all of those places you read that on were based on ONE TWEET. They all said so and referred to the tweeter by name. Only Rappaport doesn't indicate the source is that Tweet. but I bet it is.

As for a difference, the thing all comes down to this (here comes people calling me a hater again, you watch) it's the title.. it said we hired him. that isn't fact...yet! That my friend is the difference. If the title of the thread said, reports say we're close to hiring him, then I don't have a leg to stand on and to me, that's the proper use of twitter.

I've said what I have to say on the subject, there really isn't anything else to comment on.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #847557 02/03/14 08:04 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be perfectly fine with them trading for Cousins. I'd be thrilled if they traded for Cousins AND took a QB at the top of the draft. Cousins, Hoyer and a rookie draft pick. I could live with that QB stable this year. IF Hoyer is healing and IF he fits our new scheme. Otherwise draft two QB's this year. We HAVE to find one. Pete Carroll brought in a ton of prospects before finding Wilson. He traded for Whitehurst, signed Flynn, signed Tavaris Jackson.... he just kept at it until he found the MAN.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
ThatGuy #847558 02/03/14 08:12 PM
Legend
Legend
Doesn't ESPN edit their articles...? That sounds like Wikipedia. Only difference between that and tweets is that you can't edit tweets.

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

If we don't go after him... I can't see anyone wanting to go after him.

Very good point. If his own OC doesn't want him, who would?

candyman92 #847560 02/03/14 08:32 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

That sounds like Wikipedia.

At least Wiki has our coach right. Before they had Jim Tressel listed as our head coach - ha ha ha...

predator16 #847561 02/03/14 08:42 PM
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
I wouldn't even give up a sixth round pick for Cousins. We already have mediocre QBs with low ceilings. Lets get a real QB and save our 6th round pick for a Pro Bowl caliber long snapper.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wouldn't even give up a sixth round pick for Cousins. We already have mediocre QBs with low ceilings. Lets get a real QB and save our 6th round pick for a Pro Bowl caliber long snapper.

Alright, name the can't miss, sure thing,"real" quarterback coming out this year? Because to me, they ALL have question marks next to their names. There is no Andrew Luck coming out this season. Perhaps one or more of them will end up successful. But to my mind, there isn't one that stands out so much we should forgo exploring every opportunity available. By all means take a QB with our first pick. Doesn't mean we can't bring in Cousins as well.... Wouldn't bother me to have 5 or 6 QB's on the roster when camp starts. Identify the 4 best and keep them.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, except that giving up draft picks for a barely adequate QB makes no sense at all.

Every Browns fan remembers what Cousins did to us ....... but he completed only something like 52% of his passes and 6 TD passes and 9 INT against anyone not in a Browns uniform.

He's a guy. If we can get him for a 7th round pick .... then maybe ..... but even then I just really don't see where he would fit Should we give up a pick for a 3rd string QB? I don't think so.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah, except that giving up draft picks for a barely adequate QB makes no sense at all.

Every Browns fan remembers what Cousins did to us ....... but he completed only something like 52% of his passes and 6 TD passes and 9 INT against anyone not in a Browns uniform.

He's a guy. If we can get him for a 7th round pick .... then maybe ..... but even then I just really don't see where he would fit Should we give up a pick for a 3rd string QB? I don't think so.

Agree 100%

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Let's just sign Rex Grossman and get the older version of what Kirk Cousins is.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So you know for a fact the guy can't ever be more than a scrub from the very few games he's played? Hell man, he's been in the league two seasons and never been "the man". Your prescience must be extraordinary.

Hard to get too argumentative over this though, the odds of trading for him are slim and none. I just think we should explore every single chance at finding a QB. Trade, draft, bring as many in as it takes.

I could see giving up a third rounder if they think he might be a candidate.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Wouldn't bother me to have 5 or 6 QB's on the roster when camp starts.

I don't know if you are serious or not, but there would not be enough reps to go around. At some point you have to watch a player practice with the 1st team if you want to give him a shot.

There is a reason why no one has tried that method before.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we are going QB at #4 (or higher), which I think we are, then no way am I giving up a 3rd rounder based on a "think" and a "might".. Because I think that might be the OG we need or the RB we need or the FS we need... If we don't go QB high in the draft.. well, I'll be disappointed.. but at that point, I might consider bringing in Cousins to compete with Hoyer.

yebat' Putin
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

When you draft a QB in the 5th or 6th, you are getting a project QB that MIGHT have a shot in the league but needs time to develop. How is trading a 5th or 6th for Kirk Cousins any different? The plus is that he knows the system an can compete with the Rookie and Hoyer. The downside is that he might not work out; not that big of a deal to me considering our draft record. Name a 5th/6th rounder drafted by the Browns in the last 5 years that was an immediate impact player.

2009: 6th - Don Carey and Coye Francies
2010: 5th - Shawn Lauvao 6th - Larry Asante
2011: 5th - Buster Skrine and Jason Pinkston
2012: 5th - Ryan Miller 6th - Emmanuel Acho and Billy Winn
2013: 6th - Jamoris Slaughter

Of these guys Skrine is the only one to have a lightbulb come on and that took 3 seasons. In fact, he surprised the heck out of me and deserves a most improved player award for 2013.

I'll join the minority on this one; I think Cousins is worth a shot with Kyle Shanahan as our new OC.

HewDawg #847570 02/04/14 02:12 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Cousins only cost a 5th or 6th rounder I am on board as well. But he is going to cost more than that. I would say that he would at least cost a third round pick and if that is the price I say no.

Based on what we have seen Cousins is not a starting QB in the league and we already have a player with a very similar skill set in Brian Hoyer (coincidentally Cousins was Hoyer's backup at Michigan State. And to add another weird twist, Cousins only played because Nick Foles transfered to Arizona.)

Also, I would like to see how Kyle Shanahan does without "his guys." His whole career, so far, has been defined by aligning himself he is familiar with. It is time for him to show he can do things on his own.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So you know for a fact the guy can't ever be more than a scrub from the very few games he's played? Hell man, he's been in the league two seasons and never been "the man". Your prescience must be extraordinary.

Hard to get too argumentative over this though, the odds of trading for him are slim and none. I just think we should explore every single chance at finding a QB. Trade, draft, bring as many in as it takes.

You complain about my thinking that he is a scrub from the limited games he's played (plus seeing him play at Michigan State) yet you believe he is worth a 3rd without seeing him in more than a limited role?

When I saw Cousins play at Michigan State, he was really, really ordinary. He possesses no special skills. He has a weaker arm. (Not "weak", but sub par) He threw a TON of little passes in college that really bumped his completion percentage up significantly. His mechanics and footwork are poor. He cannot lead a WR well, nor is he particularly effective throwing to a spot. He did run a pro style offense in college, and that means that he was already towards the upper limits of his ability. He wasn't a guy who was using his great talent in lieu of his skill. In short, he was "OK", but not special in any way. I should add that I saw him play 2 or 3 times as a senior.

Looking, yes, I saw him play the YSU Penguins, (My local team) Notre Dame, (On NBC every week) and OSU. I didn't have DirecTV then, and was at the mercy of broadcast TV.

Looking at how he played in 2013, he doesn't offer much hope. He averaged a whopping 5.51 yards/pass attempt. This was on 151 pass attempts, so it was a decent number of passes. He was much better as a rookie, but he got to destroy us, so that's to his advantage.

Anyway, I feel that he was a very ordinary college QB with no standout traits, and that kind of QB rarely goes on to success in the NFL. Can you tell me what you have seen that makes you think that he is worth a 3rd round pick? What skills and ability do you see that makes him likely to succeed as a starting QB in the NFL, and to be worth the investment of a 3rd round pick?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Alright, name the can't miss, sure thing,"real" quarterback coming out this year? Because to me, they ALL have question marks next to their names. There is no Andrew Luck coming out this season. Perhaps one or more of them will end up successful. But to my mind, there isn't one that stands out so much we should forgo exploring every opportunity available. By all means take a QB with our first pick. Doesn't mean we can't bring in Cousins as well.... Wouldn't bother me to have 5 or 6 QB's on the roster when camp starts. Identify the 4 best and keep them.

Even Andrew Luck had questions. Is his arm strength good enough? Does he make tough enough throws? Is he the product of NFL talent and Haurbaugh? Will he struggle to deal with the pressure and hype?

Find me a QB prospect that never had questions or flaws. Find me a current NFL QB without questions or flaws.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that's what he's saying. Re read his post. He just doesn't want to give up the farm for the guy.

He did say he'd give a 7th but I'd bet that if the browns thought he was worth while, Ytown would be ok with giving a 5th or 6th rounder if thats what it took.. Especially in a year when we have 10 picks.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #847574 02/04/14 10:04 AM
A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
Cousins had one good game and that was against us, then lost the next 3 games. He was backup I believe to Hoyer in college and was just an ordinary guy. Hoyer was a starter who spent 3 years backing up tom brady. Hoyer is a much better QB than Cousins ever will be and giving up anything for him would be foolish.

aej #847575 02/04/14 10:30 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Cousins had one good game and that was against us, then lost the next 3 games. He was backup I believe to Hoyer in college and was just an ordinary guy. Hoyer was a starter who spent 3 years backing up tom brady. Hoyer is a much better QB than Cousins ever will be and giving up anything for him would be foolish.

and I don't disagree with you at all..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #847576 02/04/14 12:07 PM
Legend
Legend
Actually, I do not believe that I would want to give up a 5th round pick for Cousins. I just don't see the NFL ability. He's a decent backup, but I think that's where it ends. If we have Hoyer, and draft a 1st round QB, then frankly I see no need for a guy like Cousins. If we want a veteran backup, I'm sure we can find one who will fit the offense and cost us nothing other than cash.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
jc

QB prospects in the proposed Cousin range (5-7):

Brett Smith Wyoming (Basically Manziel of the small schools)
David Fales San Jose State (Good accuracy, no arm)
Aaron Murray Georgia (Bonafide a day one or two pick who tore his ACL)
Jeff Matthews Cornell (Project)
Keith Price Washington (No arm, but has all the intangibles)
Tyler Russel (Another project)

Personally I'd rank Kirk Coursins after Brett Smith, Fales, Murray and maybe after Jeff Matthews.

candyman92 #847578 02/04/14 12:36 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Even Andrew Luck had questions. Is his arm strength good enough? Does he make tough enough throws? Is he the product of NFL talent and Haurbaugh? Will he struggle to deal with the pressure and hype?

Find me a QB prospect that never had questions or flaws. Find me a current NFL QB without questions or flaws.

May be you had questions about Luck.......

Not me, I was willing to give up 3 firsts and 2 seconds to move up to 1 to get him...... The only question I had about Andrew Luck was if he was going to get hurt in some freak injury/accident.

And Holmgren offered our whole draft for the guy. I don't really think he had any questions either. IMO Andrew Luck was the only QB with no questions about him. Now, analysts might have came up with "weaknesses" but that's because they're trying to have a conversation. In the eyes of team managers, when the draft came around, and probably before that: I don't think there were any questions about Luck at all.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
cfrs15 #847579 02/04/14 12:40 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't bother me to have 5 or 6 QB's on the roster when camp starts.

I don't know if you are serious or not, but there would not be enough reps to go around. At some point you have to watch a player practice with the 1st team if you want to give him a shot.

There is a reason why no one has tried that method before.

how quickly we forget Jon Gruden's last 2 seasons in TB that got him run out of the league.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not for nothin, but I don't remember anyone having any questions about Luck. Did I miss something?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kirk Cousins

Link Copied to Clipboard