Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
J
Legend
Legend
J
What a complete cluster. I am amazed at the total ineptness that this portrays. Just when I think they can't surprise me, they go and do it once again.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So... Which one of us is submitting their resume first?

I'm typing mine up as we speak.

Already sent mine... hey I have 14 years coaching youth football... I am in !!!!

Hah! I have 50 years of knowing it all ........ I'm a shoe in.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We're the laughing stock of the NFL. The only bright side is that Lombardi is gone.

Nice we can add some comic relief.... really who gives a rats A about what others think... we know we are a dysfunctional family ... but we stand together, well excpet for Banner, Lombardi, Crennel, Davis, Shurmer, Chud, Turner, Horton, Palmer, Lerner, Mangini, just to name a few

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Jimmy must've felt snookered with the league-arranged marriage and wanted out.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's participating in a lengthy, league-arranged conversation here soon. He's had an itchy trigger finger since the end of the regular season.

I wonder if he's had input from other owners. I've always pictured the Rooneys as ones that would be open to provide him w/ all kinds of advise & constructive criticism.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Somewhere in Indianapolis, Chud is laughing his butt off......

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Best News all day....

Called it!!!

Not sure how to take that. I feel Lombardi is a terrible talent evaluator and having Ray Farmer be the GM to me puts us in a better situation come draft day.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And the beat goes on, wild just wild !

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Ordering my "3 Stooges" shirt ASAP…that's a collectors' item now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This is nuts. The dysfunction and turnover has reached a ridiculous level, and everyone is right to ridicule Haslam and the Browns as a whole.

I understand that and expect it, and have no argument against it.

At the same time, however, I am not upset. I think that maybe, just maybe, the Browns have stumbled into a situation that has a decent chance to work, once the dust settles.

From what I have read, Ray Farmer has a good reputation in NFL circles. He is considered smart and qualified and an up-and-comer in the league.

Pettine has consistently coordinated good-to-great defenses, seems like a leader and a teacher, and has a reputation as a very good talent evaluator for a coach (from the book Collision Low Crossers by Nicholas Dawidoff).

The Browns now have a more traditional front-office structure, with Owner->GM->Head Coach. The GM is 39 and well-respected, the Head Coach is 47 and has a positive pedigree. It might just work.

If it does work the Browns will certainly have reached this point in a roundabout and laughable way, but in the end, if they win, no one will care.

The process has been a disaster, but hopefully the outcome will be good. I think it has a ddecent chance to be.

Agreed, I still am of the feeling this is a good thing and we have youthful leadership in place with Farmer, Pettine and Scheiner.... I got no problem with Haslam finally putting HIS stamp on HIS team... about time in my book

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Christmas has come early this year. Someone finally realized that Banner and Lombardi were FAKES!!..

Think about it, Banner/Lombardi probably sold old jimmy on the fact that Chud was crap and that the Browns could get anyone to coach them. After that blew up in their faces and they signed the last man standing. Jimmy had to pull the plug on the two stooges!!...

Makes me wonder how Jimmy made all his money???

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be if we had Farmer as GM instead of Dumbardi.

So which draft pick are you thinking

Then gimme lottery numbers...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I feel better about this newest insane wrinkle. This has to be Haslam getting fired up to take hands on control more directly. Somebody lost a power struggle or created too much heat. JH must have gotten fed up. Might salvage some respectability from this. Chud still looked like a trumped up, shoot the victim scheme.

Go forward now.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Yeah, unfortunately for at least Banner and Lombardi, that name will follow them for quite awhile.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Already sent mine... hey I have 14 years coaching youth football... I am in !!!!

DAMN Ya got me... can I be your asst GM?

#gmstrong

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Jimmy Haslam: Purpose of moves is to provide fans with winner they deserve

Posted by Josh Alper on February 11, 2014, 10:20 AM EST

The Browns will hold a press conference at 11:30 am E.T. to discuss the unexpected changes to the front office that they announced on Tuesday morning.

Ray Farmer is replacing Mike Lombardi as the team’s general manager while CEO Joe Banner will be stepping down in the next two months as the organization continues the housecleaning that started with Rob Chudzinski’s ouster as head coach after one season. We’d expect many of the questions at the press conference to be a variation on “What in the world is going on here?” and owner Jimmy Haslam got the ball rolling on explaining the moves in a statement.

“First of all, we wanted to capitalize on the knowledge, experience and character we’re fortunate to have in Ray Farmer,” Haslam said. “Ray has a tremendous football IQ, he’s compelling, and he understands the types of players we need to acquire and develop in order to win in Cleveland. He embraces his partnership with Mike Pettine, which is critical in helping build the right team. Ray will provide excellent leadership in our front office. … [Lombardi] is an experienced and creative NFL executive with a unique ability to see the big picture. He has tremendous instincts and I know he’ll be a valuable addition to any NFL organization. We simply wanted to give Ray this opportunity that he’s earned. We wanted to move forward under his leadership and capabilities. The purpose of these moves is to unify our team with one, unequivocal goal: Provide our fans with the winning organization they have long deserved.”

At the moment, it would be easy to believe just about anything is possible for the Browns except for that outcome.

Banner also released a statement, calling his departure from the team “bittersweet.” Confusing would be another word for it, especially after Banner and Lombardi were part of the team’s search for Chudzinski’s replacement. Coming up with an explanation that also explains how this puts the team on the path toward that winning organization would be a good way for Haslam to battle the growing perception that dysfunction is the only thing functioning in Cleveland at the moment.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Somewhere in Indianapolis, Chud is laughing his butt off......

My gut tells me Jimmy is the guy who pulled the plug on Chud. Just a feeling.

Whew!

This is getting spicy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am sure a lot of this has to do with the thinking on the QB position.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
But I just bought my new Three Stooges T-shirt . . . .

Poopy.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
jc…

Think this decision was reached by consensus?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

some of you can call gloom and doom and worry about others perception.... me , ....I was willing to give the new FO a shot, now I dont have to.... I am as happy as a mule eating briars.....

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DAMN Ya got me... can I be your asst GM?

Sorry, but I am hiring a staff of 18 year old hot blonde chicks to work ...ahem ..... directly under me.

Oh wait ...... I reformed from that kind of wanton behavior. DogGoneIt!

Sure, I guess you can be the assistant them. How much worse can we screw things up?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What a complete cluster. I am amazed at the total ineptness that this portrays. Just when I think they can't surprise me, they go and do it once again.

It's either Ineptness or brilliant. Time will tell. I don't know many that were pleased with the Lombardi or Banner hire last year . I wasn't. But I warmed to them as the year went on after seeing some of the moves they made..

For me, they tanked with the firing of Chud and his staff. So man, I don't know what happened but wow, this was just out of nowhere. Didn't see this coming. I thought they'd be the scapegoats next season if we failed next year.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Wow. Whats going on? Is Jim Haslem and Dan Gilbert playing a game? Who to fire next? Lmao.

This is unexpected.

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

Agreed, I still am of the feeling this is a good thing and we have youthful leadership in place with Farmer, Pettine and Scheiner.... I got no problem with Haslam finally putting HIS stamp on HIS team... about time in my book

What? He had that chance the first time around, and he apparently got EVERY major personnel decision wrong. So wrong that they only lasted ONE season. Who in the hell trusts this guy now? I was willing to give him a chance. I'm done. He is in way over his head from what I see.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

For me, they tanked with the firing of Chud and his staff. So man, I don't know what happened but wow, this was just out of nowhere. Didn't see this coming. I thought they'd be the scapegoats next season if we failed next year.

Ding... Ding... we have a winner!!!..

Old Jimmy slick did not like how that entire espisode went down. Jimmy thought he was getting some great coach that Banner/Lombardi told him they would get but they ended up with another asst coach wanna be!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be if we had Farmer as GM instead of Dumbardi.

So which draft pick are you thinking

Then gimme lottery numbers...

Not sure yet, still doing research.

The lottery numbers are 1 to 49.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
N
Legend
Legend
N
Okay, I'm a bit surprised at the overall tone here.

I understand that we need continuity and am a proponent. However, I did not like the Lombardi hire and have not liked his moves to this point. So, I would only hope the talent evaluation goes up from here.

Banner I was more iffy on. I didn't like him sitting on cap money last offseason with glaring holes, but our business moves more or less seemed to work out okay. My guess is that the vision he sold Haslam on last offseason fell on its face and Haslam had all of this planned out since December.

Also, Ward & Mack not being signed despite that money and now having big years and going to cost much more $$$ to retain likely played a small part as well.

Anyways, Farmer and Scheiner were considered great hires when we got them. Let's hope that our young faces in Farmer/Scheiner/Pettine are just what this team needed.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well......

CongratS, farmer?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wow. Whats going on? Is Jim Haslem and Dan Gilbert playing a game? Who to fire next? Lmao.

Ha ha ha....I LOL'd.

Mike Brown just turned off his phone.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
The Indians are Cleveland's most stable franchise, and might have the best owner.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Jason Cole reporting the Banner and Lombardi not being able to deliver on the coaching search sunk them. Apparently, Banner and Lombardi couldn't deliver their guy to Haslam for the HC position. Is there some truth in McDaniels turning us down? It will be very interesting to hear what comes out after the fact.

I for one, like the Scheiner, Farmer and Pettine team.

Jason Cole

Legend
Legend
This is an interesting thought that is being discussed on WKNR right now.

When Chud was fired, Banner and Lombardi were unable to produce any of the candidates that they told Haslam they could be replace Chud... The announcer is saying t hat may have sealed their fate.

Not sure if that's true or if it's just what is being bantered around. I doubt we ever know that for sure but it's an interesting take just the same

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

But I just bought my new Three Stooges T-shirt . . . .

Poopy.

Hey now it's acollectors item.

I have one too, i told my son watch as soon as we buy any jersey or shirt that player is gone... banner is on borrowed time... if I only knew.

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
Daman, I just posted the link to the story you discussed above your post.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Jason Cole reporting the Banner and Lombardi not being able to deliver on the coaching search sunk them. Apparently, Banner and Lombardi couldn't deliver their guy to Haslam for the HC position. Is there some truth in McDaniels turning us down? It will be very interesting to hear what comes out after the fact.

I for one, like the Scheiner, Farmer and Pettine team.

Jason Cole

LOL I just typed the same thing.....funny

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
From the Canton Repository's Steve Doerschuk:

Quote:

What happened. We hear Lombardi kept pushing for McDaniels to be HC, creating rift with Banner. Haslam lost appetite for rifts.

Link

Last edited by brownsfansince79; 02/11/14 11:50 AM.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think we just typed it at the same time.

Here's a report that Lombardi was going to be out if Adam Gase had been hired. Take it for what it's worth.

Ian Rapoport

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
For hilarities sake I hope he fires Pettine and hires Quinn.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

I am sure a lot of this has to do with the thinking on the QB position.

Sam, Sam, Sam, Sam, Sam, Sam, ....

The timing suggests it may have had more to do with their thinking on Sam. Maybe they fell for the "The media will love us if we pick Sam with our first pick" line. Maybe Rich Eisen and John Feinstein had convinced them that if we have Sam play quarterback all would be forgiven on the Chud deal.

I guess I may get a three to four minute break from being constantly told how bad everybody is who doesn't believe exactly everything you are being told to believe on the Sam company line. I'm not sure what I would believe if I didn't have sports journalists telling me what and how to think.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

For hilarities sake I hope he fires Pettine and hires Quinn.

lol

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Banner to Step Down; Mike Lombardi Fired; Ray Farmer Promoted to GM

Link Copied to Clipboard