A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL Didn't' I just say that a few posts above.. Great Minds Anarchy LOL

Yeah, you did... but we still need to find out who that person is and convince their team's GM that the move must be made and that they can't fool around and try to low ball the Browns. LOL

Here's the funny part of that, we may not have to find them, they may find us...LOL

At this point, low balling the browns is better than we get if we release him and I'm guessing everyone knows we are probably going to do just that

You know, you're right. Where did Heckert go? Denver? Perfect! They take aging QBs and get them to perform at the next level. I'd be willing to get a 7th from them for Weeden.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I haven't added to this thread yet, though I stop by to read it.

I wonder if Weeds would have felt the same way if the FO stayed the same. Did he feel as though he had a chance with them? He should have had his bags packed when the final whistle blew in game 16. He was done here no matter what.

The only way a team makes a deal for him is if they do not want to have to compete with another team when he gets cut. And it would be a minimal deal, like Weeds and our 7th for a low 6th.

I think that the Browns might actually take a conditional 7th rounder. That is, they trade him to a team and if he makes their roster, the Browns get the team's 7th rounder. It could have more conditions, like if he's named the starter, then it moves to a 6th. Otherwise, if he doesn't make the team, the Browns wouldn't get anything.

A conditional 7th and a bucket of KFC extra crispy.. I'm in

I'd try to finagle them out of the biscuits too.

Probably as much chance of that as seeing this.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
It would be interesting to see what the GM who picked him in the 1st would give up for him now. But I think Weeden has Holmgren written all over it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
And Holmgren has moron written all over that. See how the chain of stupid starts there?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

It would be interesting to see what the GM who picked him in the 1st would give up for him now. But I think Weeden has Holmgren written all over it.

Don't bet on it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/10966...-brandon-weeden

What would Heckert give up for him now?

Legend
Legend
Ahh yes, Bisquits. MUST HAVE.. MONGO LIKE BISQUITS...LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Don't bet on it.

Wasn't that before we drafted him and Heckert got to see him perform in the NFL this year and last? I'd bet he has a different opinion of him now. just a guess

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Heckert did not have a clue about QBs.

I think Holmgren was the one who initiated the TRich trade and Heckert took Weeden all on his own.

That may have been the worst draft in history.

Two first round picks that were busts. A top of the second round pick for a guy who will probably be replaced w/in the next year or so.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
From what I've read, Heckert was enamored with Weeden, but thought he'd be available in the second. It was Holmgren who made him pull the trigger early.

No idea if that's the truth or not, though.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

From what I've read, Heckert was enamored with Weeden, but thought he'd be available in the second. It was Holmgren who made him pull the trigger early.

Yes. I've read reports on this timeline as well.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
That's also what I thought happened. Either way, IDIOTS

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't bet on it.

Wasn't that before we drafted him and Heckert got to see him perform in the NFL this year and last? I'd bet he has a different opinion of him now. just a guess

Right, but I only linked to show that Heckert was high on Weeden too and that it didn't just have Holmgren written all over it. Holmgren would never admit that it was a screw-up.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Yes. I've read reports on this timeline as well.

That may be so, but still, Heckert still loved the guy and would have used (wasted) a 2nd rounder on him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't bet on it.

Right, but I only linked to show that Heckert was high on Weeden too and that it didn't just have Holmgren written all over it. Holmgren would never admit that it was a screw-up.

Ahh yes,, makes sense. thanks

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Damanshot, is Weedy still here? Think we should help him pack. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

guess im one of the few that think weeden might be here next year? his money is fully guaranteed and with the new coaching staff they might want to see his big arm?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

guess im one of the few that think weeden might be here next year? his money is fully guaranteed and with the new coaching staff they might want to see his big arm?

Good one!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Good one!

He's probably gone but he stands a better chance at staying than Jason Campbell. It really depends on how FA and the draft go. If we grab a vet (like a Grossman or Shaub) in FA and a rook in the draft, then yes, I think it will be inevitable he is gone.

Farmer said the time will come when Weeden and his agent know where the Browns stand. I'm sure that's predicated on how the above falls into place.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
If Mike/Kyle start or play Weeden, they'll have fans truly hating them right off the bat and questioning their level of expertise heavily. Weeden should be avoided at all cost cause he's toxic to the city of Cleveland, let alone has about no skills/IQ. If they wanna pi$s the fans off, they'll play him. If they really wanna pi$s the fans off, they'll play him game one of the season.

No one wants him. Therefore he'll freeload on the Brown's bench as a total low-end spot (like 4th string lol), or, Browns will elect to cut him to preserve a roster spot for someone, anyone, worth a damn and still pay Weeden his very unearned and very non-deserving pay and then say good bye at the end of next season... which likely could be Weeden's final NFL job.

Beyond worthless draft pick he turned out to be, which is EXACTLY what I predicted the moment they announced that moron.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

The problem with keeping Weeden in Cleveland has different aspects.

One, he is a reminder of what is wrong with this team. A failed experiment at best. This isn't someone you want around to remind fans of past failures.

Secondly, you don't keep a poor player that not only don't the fans like, but has also let it be known that he no longer wants to be here. As if the backlash of him playing last year bad enough, now he states he no longer wants to be here. So what message would it send in keeping him here?

I believe this FO and coaching staff needs to send the message that they don't want disgruntled players on their roster. When you publicly state you know longer wish to be a Brown, you are no longer a Brown.

Keeping him would be yet a further distraction when the last thing we need are more distractions. Anything less than getting Weeden out of Cleveland makes little to no sense what so ever.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Good one!

I think it's awesome that cutting Campbell basically pays the cap bill for cutting Weeden. It's like the FO knew they would be doing it this offseason and set it up that way on purpose.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Keeping him would be yet a further distraction...

Yes, I believe that it would be. However, assuming we draft one QB, we do need a veteran presence at QB. (I'm saying Hoyer is not a veteran, only due to his lack of actual playing time). Do you keep Campbell, Weeden, or pick up one veteran through FA or trade?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
lot of reason to dump him. and reasons to keep.

got to pay no matter what.

never know a coach that didn't think he could turn a player into a good player and this is a new staff.

never know druing the season some team might get needy and make a trade

for all I know haslem might have fire chud because he couldn't coach him up and haslem might make the new staff try?

more reason to keep than dump.

and this is from me. I don't even like the guy!!!!!!!!! lmao.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yes, I believe that it would be. However, assuming we draft one QB, we do need a veteran presence at QB. (I'm saying Hoyer is not a veteran, only due to his lack of actual playing time). Do you keep Campbell, Weeden, or pick up one veteran through FA or trade?

To really have an impact, I believe it would make far more sense to dump the current veterans and get one who is already familiar with the system that will be implemented.

IMO to have veterans that must also have the learning curve of learning an entirely new system sort of defeats the purpose you are trying to accomplish by having a veteran presence.

Much like Holmgren brought in Seneca Wallace. A veteran who can help the younger QB's learn the terminology and the playbook would be a very useful tool. But we simply don't have that within our current roster.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

got to pay no matter what.

He was drafted at #22 and the cap hit isn't substantial.

Quote:

never know a coach that didn't think he could turn a player into a good player and this is a new staff.

Smart coaches also know their jobs depend on winning and putting together a team that can play within their system. They also understand that you need a player with a skill set you can win with.

Quote:

never know druing the season some team might get needy and make a trade

With all of the negatives I mentioned, this relative hope that someone may give you a late round pick out of desperation? Seems like a high gamble for little "possible" reward.

Quote:

for all I know haslem might have fire chud because he couldn't coach him up and haslem might make the new staff try?

I'm not sure if you're joking here or making a reach of astronomical proportions?

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I'm not sure if you're joking here or making a reach of astronomical proportions?

after the last couple of months I don't think you can
Quote:

reach of astronomical proportions

. jmo. one thing for sure. we will find out sooner or later.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If Mike/Kyle start or play Weeden, they'll have fans truly hating them right off the bat and questioning their level of expertise heavily. Weeden should be avoided at all cost cause he's toxic to the city of Cleveland, let alone has about no skills/IQ. If they wanna pi$s the fans off, they'll play him. If they really wanna pi$s the fans off, they'll play him game one of the season.

No one wants him. Therefore he'll freeload on the Brown's bench as a total low-end spot (like 4th string lol), or, Browns will elect to cut him to preserve a roster spot for someone, anyone, worth a damn and still pay Weeden his very unearned and very non-deserving pay and then say good bye at the end of next season... which likely could be Weeden's final NFL job.

Beyond worthless draft pick he turned out to be, which is EXACTLY what I predicted the moment they announced that moron.

They could demote him to the practice squad. If he signs with someone else, would the Browns then have to pay him the remainder of his salary?

C
Legend
Legend
C
They cannot demote him to the practice squad. He has played too many games.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

They could demote him to the practice squad.

I thought players with more than a year experience (which unfortunately he has) - cannot be eligible for the practice squad?

Edit, too late.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 02/28/14 07:55 PM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

They could demote him to the practice squad.

I thought players with more than a year experience (which unfortunately he has) - cannot be eligible for the practice squad?

Edit, too late.

Okay. I follow. That's too bad. Okay, trade him for a bag of lopsided practice footballs and be done with him. Pay the remaining money owed and let him suck up a roster spot and salary of another team.

E
Legend
Legend
E
J/c...I think after page one this has become a free post thread...lol

I doubt Weeden leaves unless one of two things happen.

Somebody offers us a draft pick....

Weeden makes himself intolerable as a Browns player via attitude then he'll get released and be a FA.

DQ earned his respect to be released early. Weeden - there is a fine line in being intolerable to get released to totally lowering his value as in what team really would want a 31 year old player who cannot learn a new system and doesn't GET IT.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I am fine with Weedon staying one more year. AS long as he is third on the depth cart behind Hoyer and a Rookie or young free agent. He sucks but so do most third string QB's

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Brandon Weeden needs to go. I cringed with disgust the moment we drafted him. I kept thinking to myself when our other 1st Round pick came "Please don't tell me you traded up to get a QB. Please not him." And then sure enough...

We'll take an economic hit if we release Weeden and I'd be fine with that. I'd rather pick up a scrub UDFA Rookie QB this year and let him be the 3rd stringer.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am fine with Weedon staying one more year. AS long as he is third on the depth cart behind Hoyer and a Rookie or young free agent. He sucks but so do most third string QB's

I'd rather just go with two QBs than to have Weeden's still on the team.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'd rather just go with two QBs than to have Weeden's still on the team.

After seeing QBs go down with injuries left and right last year, I wouldn't.

Despite his many flaws, Weeden did have some degree of chemistry with Gordon last year. That's not much, but it is as much as you can expect from a 3rd string guy.

Add in the guarantees, which are fairly substantial, and like I said earlier in this thread, I could see us holding onto him as our 3rd string, or offering him an out, that gives up some of those guarantees. (or even the offset language in his contract) If he chooses to hold on to his guarantees/offset in his contract, then he sits as the 3rd string here for the next 2 years, and hits the market in 2 years as a (then) 32 year old backup with limited experience and less success. Or, he could give up some of his guarantees or offsets, and go on the market immediately and try to find a job. It depends on how much he truly believes in his ability.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Unlike many, I had no problem with the Weeden pick. We needed a QB and they took a shot. I have no problem with any attempt at finding one. I hope we take two in the upcoming draft. I'd be fine with Farmer spending both firsts on QB as long as one of them turns out to be a long term franchise player. Hell, take three.

Weeden just didn't work out....so if he want's out we should oblige him. Do what it takes to make that happen. I wouldn't say it's impossible for him to play at a decent level in our new scheme(crazy things happen all the time in the NFL). But considering we've already seen him in the WCO, it's highly unlikely.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Brandon Weeden needs to go. I cringed with disgust the moment we drafted him. I kept thinking to myself when our other 1st Round pick came "Please don't tell me you traded up to get a QB. Please not him." And then sure enough...

We'll take an economic hit if we release Weeden and I'd be fine with that. I'd rather pick up a scrub UDFA Rookie QB this year and let him be the 3rd stringer.

Oh I have made it clear we are screwed when Weeden plays BUT we are screwed whenever our 3rd sting QB plays. lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Campbell is better than Weeden.

Weeden has said he wants out.

It's obvious his teammates don't care for him.

The fan base is down on him.

Farmer's comments were damning.

He's gone.

Look, I know you like him and I promise you I am not rubbing it in. We battled before about how good he is. I am not rubbing salt in your wound. It's just over, man. He's going to be out of here.

I am not going to say "good riddance," or "I told you so," or "don't let the door hit you ..."

I will simply say that while I was brutal in my criticism of him, I was always inwardly hoping I was wrong. I really do wish he wold have worked out and proved me wrong. If he had, we would be a better team and we wouldn't even have to think about drafting another qb this year, never mind trading multiple picks to get our guy.

Legend
Legend
I cna see Campbell out of here, especially with the comments he made last year about being nervous and such. A leader cannot do that kind of stuff, and he is expensive.

Also, Maybe the Browns don't keep Weeden, but perception is important. Maybe they keep him in an attempt to void the offset language. You know how the game is played. teams say one thing in order to get concessions. Often it's the idea that a guy could be cut ..... but in this case maybe it's the idea that he could be kept that gets those concessions.

I don't care of Weeden is here or not next year. I don't care if Campbell is here or not. Frankly, I could see both gone. In either case, if either guy is here, he's likely to be the 3rd string guy ...... and if we are down to the 3rd string, we're in trouble.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Weeden said he wanted out. That's worse than what Campbell said.

But, you are probably right in that both will be gone.

I do think that is a mistake, though. I would keep JC as my 3rd. He had some good games. He was best early on. He would be a guy who might win a couple of games as our 3rd stringer. That's a pretty good return. Most 3rd stringers stink.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Weeden wants out of Cleveland

Link Copied to Clipboard