Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Legend
Legend
Quote:

except that it was explicitly reported that Riley in fact DID break league rules and colluded with those guys. it could very well be that it didn't matter though, I agree and already stated it was a bit unfair.

Where was that reported as fact? I mean sure, it's been speculated about, but if facts came out that Riley did actually collude to get those guys in ... wouldn't he be fined up the wazoo?? I mean, this is the same league that fined Steve Kerr 10K for joking that he'd have Lebron on is team if he was willing to take the league minimum.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
By Windhorst in the days after the Decision.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/inside_the_decision_miamis_cou.html

Getting all three together was really only possible in Miami, and Wade pushed the topic. Despite being discouraged by Commissioner David Stern and perhaps breaking tampering rules again, Wade flew with Bosh to Akron to meet at James' house in the last week of June. Still under contract with the Heat, Wade got the other two to the brink of a deal to join up.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
N
Legend
Legend
N
from that same link was the actual part I was referring to:

Riley really put the plan into action last November. During a Cavs visit to Miami, Riley arranged a get together with Michael Jordan and James. Jordan, who was in town to do some Nike work with Wade, at the time did not own a majority of the Bobcats.

During the meeting, Riley talked to James about how more modern players should pay homage to Jordan. Riley always had led this effort, retiring Jordan's No. 23 in the rafters at AmericanAirlines Arena even though Jordan never played in Miami.

The Cavs knew about it, and while it seemed like it could be classic tampering, they decided not to make an issue of it -- mostly because the meeting technically wasn't about free agency.

the Cavs were informed (not by Riley - that was in a different article), but it's still their own fault for not making a big deal out of this.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I think you're making ferry out to be better than he was. he wasn't horrible while he was here, but he wasn't anything good either. Even though he never picked in the top 10, he had mutilple chances to get good players. in 06, he could've had Rondo if he wanted him. He went 21st, ferry ended up taking Shannon Brown at 25. I'm sure it wouldn't have took much to trade up a few spots. Then in 09 he takes Christian Eyenga. what the hell was that pick about? Taj Gibson was picked a few spots earlier. Did I expect Ferry to hit home runs with every pick? Of Course not, but in 4 years the guy failed to hit on one pick that might have helped us get over the hump. No way Boston beats us those 2 series without Rondo. Danny Ainge was able to get the job done. Same for the Lakers when they acquired Gasol. Just amazing he could never produce a better supporting cast than he did.

Here are ferry's draft picks
06 Shannon Brown, Daniel Gibson, Ejike Ugboaja
07 None
08 JJ Hickson
09 Eyenga, Danny Green

ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's really easy to say we could of had guys like Al Jefferson, Rondo, Taj Gibosn... All good players...

But they weren't who they are now coming out of college... If Rondo was so great he wouldn't of went in the 20s. He just happened to develop into a good PG. But even in his first few years playing with 3 HOFers, he was still looked at as a project...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
There's plenty to dislike about Ferry's tenure as GM, but failing to trade up for guys in the 20s and 30s who eventually developed into decent players is not one of them.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you're making ferry out to be better than he was. he wasn't horrible while he was here, but he wasn't anything good either.

And like I've said repeatedly ... I've never claimed he was all that "good", he just never had the chance to be, even if he wanted to.

Quote:

Even though he never picked in the top 10, he had mutilple chances to get good players. in 06, he could've had Rondo if he wanted him. He went 21st, ferry ended up taking Shannon Brown at 25. I'm sure it wouldn't have took much to trade up a few spots.

You really want to play the should-of-drafted-this-diamond-in-the-rough game?? Yes, I remember all the people clamoring about how we should be trading up to take Rondo, because he amazingly fell so far in the draft, and Ferry stupidly stood pat at 25 ... oh wait, nobody was saying that. Actually, people were pretty happy with the Shannon Brown pick, because he had actually fallen pretty far in the draft. Later that draft, he took Daniel Gibson who was a big part of why we made it to the NBA finals the next year.

Quote:

Then in 09 he takes Christian Eyenga. what the hell was that pick about?

Cap room ... due to guaranteed contracts, it actually makes a lot of sense for teams to draft an international project-player in the late first round, and let him mature in Europe for a few years, while he doesn't count against your cap. It's also a much safer gamble than paying a college-project first round guaranteed money to take up a roster spot, and hope he pans out.

Quote:

Taj Gibson was picked a few spots earlier. Did I expect Ferry to hit home runs with every pick? Of Course not, but in 4 years the guy failed to hit on one pick that might have helped us get over the hump.

Not only are you expecting him to hit home-runs on his draft picks that weren't obvious home runs a the time ... you're also expecting him to have the foresight to TRADE-UP to a spot just before these guys got drafted, and draft them. What kind of crystal ball do you expect your GM to have?

If you put up Ferry's draft record against guys that drafted in around the same spots ... he did pretty well. Most the guys he got contributed and weren't complete busts. Actually, if you want nail Ferry to the wall for something, it would be for not trading these guys when their values was the highest. Of course, people might have flipped if he traded Boobie Gibson the summer after he lit it up in the playoffs, or traded Hickson when he was starting to show major promise.

Quote:

No way Boston beats us those 2 series without Rondo. Danny Ainge was able to get the job done. Same for the Lakers when they acquired Gasol. Just amazing he could never produce a better supporting cast than he did.

No way Boston or LA even sniffs the playoffs without two extremely questionable, pennies on the dollar trades that let them team up superstars. For Boston, former Celtic Kevin McHale trades his superstar for a pile of spare-parts that still included Al Jefferson (probably better than any trading chip we could offer in a deal). In LA's case, Jerry West steps aside as GM in Memphis and heads back to LA, and within a year, the guy he handed the reigns to "donates" Gasol to him in a trade.

In both cases though, the Celtics and Lakers had trade pieces that were still worth more than anything the Cavs could of offered up. And that's always been my case. Ferry was hand-tied form the beginning. He had no trade assets, and no real draft picks. The only thing he did get was a bit of cap room, a terrible free agent class, and a directive to immediately sign whoever he could to keep Lebron in town.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

There's plenty to dislike about Ferry's tenure as GM, but failing to trade up for guys in the 20s and 30s who eventually developed into decent players is not one of them.

That's pretty much how I feel. As it was stated before, Ferry had to spend that initial money when they had FA cap space.

If you want to knock him for maybe not playing the trade market better, I can buy that. Maybe there was a deal similar to the Rockets getting Harden that was out there where he just needed to push a little bit... I don't knock him for not getting Amare.

I think people need to come around on the fact that LBJ was probably gone regardless. Ferry was handcuffed. That's not to say he is a good or bad GM, just that he was limited in what good/bad moves he could make. It's like playing a game of checkers when you only have a few pieces left, and only so many options, and most of them bad...

I really wish the NBA could be run like the NFL where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual piece, but it's just never going to be that way.

The only way this team is really going to get back to being a power is through the draft, and that doesn't necessarily mean tanking for #1. It means making better decisions than we have the last few yeas with the commodities we had... I think once you get to the level that other mid-markets like Indy and OKC are at, then you can maybe flirt with the idea of throwing money at an all star, and even then, coastal cities are just going to have the leg up.. It sucks but it's the way goes.

Sorry to bring up hockey but based on this system, the NHL has a far better chance to succeed in Cleveland. The NHL is built more like the NFL where you don't need superstars to be good.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If you want to seperate a championship team from a 3rd or 4th place team than yes, you have to look at it, as to why we failed to win one. When free agents were limited to larry hugues and a bunch of castoffs, ferry needed to hit in the draft. Ainge did with rondo, as did the spurs with manu, and tony. I know its nitpicking, but its reality.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'm not arguing that Ferry's draft record wasn't poor. But to fault him for not trading up to draft players who, many seasons later, are not much more than decent role players is asinine.

Legend
Legend
Nice win for the Cavaliers tonight. Hawes with another double double.

Klay Thompson was out for the Warriors, which helped the Cavaliers, but they won pretty much going away from the 3rd quarter on. It didn't look like that would be the case early on. The Warriors led 32-19 at the end of the 1st quarter. The Cavaliers really put the clamps on defensively after that though, and allowed only 62 points combined in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters combined.

I hope that we can keep Andy in this role of about 20 minutes/night, bringing maximum energy when he is in the game.

Anyway, nice win tonight.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A Sunday win at the Clippers gives us a west coast sweep

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Quote:

A Sunday win at the Clippers gives us a west coast sweep

Kinda scary.

It's too bad that this team is still so erratic, because when they are on, they really can play with almost any team. They are certainly capable of upsetting almost any team. However, they are also capable of losing to the worst of teams, or the worst of teams missing most of their players. (like when they lost to the Lakers earlier this year)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, we really are a Jekyll and Hyde team, aren't we?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, we really are a Jekyll and Hyde team, aren't we?

Old Dr Jekyll is a symbol of stability compared to the Cavs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hawes with another double double.

Seems to me, Hawes is becoming our best player.

We gotta re-sign this guy!

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Hawes with another double double.

Seems to me, Hawes is becoming our best player.

We gotta re-sign this guy!

He has said that he wants to come back, so hopefully we don't screw that up between now and the end of the season.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Hawes is a glue guy...just does the little things...Kinda like Varejao...two of em together? That's great. Its made life MUCH easier on Kyrie.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
It's hilarious watching Miami versus Houston's bigs. Bosh is completly outmatched unless he's reaching.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Hawes is a glue guy...just does the little things...Kinda like Varejao...two of em together? That's great. Its made life MUCH easier on Kyrie.

problem is they are both so soft or they make silly fouls because they can't handle most bigs. I will say Hawes is slowly becoming my fav player..he's very smart, usually makes the right play/pass and a 7' that can stroke the 3 and take it to the hole...thats rare..its awkward when you see him and then you watch TT and his ugly duckling moves to get stuffed by the rim on a 3 on 1 break and you just scream at the tv because a guy at that position shouldn't be that bad around the rim. I think if we had hawes at beginning of season, TT shoudl have been in Dleague to continue refining his offensive game.. there will be none of that under Mike Brown. Watching this team on offense is so horrible. Its really stunted everyone. If they keep him next year I hope they bring in someone like Kuester to run the Offense again.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
N
Legend
Legend
N
ok, so Kyrie hurt his biceps and the Cavs might just sit him the year to tank, I mean to be cautious.

4 games up from having top4 odds in the lottery.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Ha...

I tell ya what. A scorer like Parker, Wiggins, Warren would REALLY elevate the team.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N
or if Embiid's back isn't a long-term concern, having a real center would do wonders for both sides of the court.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
CBS.Sportsline.com Link
By Royce Young | NBA writer
March 17, 2014 8:36 am CT

Sounds about right for the Cavs.

Kyrie Irving injured his left bicep in a loss on Sunday to the Clippers, and may have his season ended because of it, reports the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. Irving is set to have an MRI today to confirm the injury and figure out a timetable.

The Cavaliers are just 26-41, but still have slim hope for the postseason at 4.5 games back of the Hawks. But if Irving were indeed done, any chance of that happening are sunk with him.

Irving left Sunday's game in the first quarter after bumping into Blake Griffin.

The Cavs point guard has gained a bit of a reputation for being injury prone, though this season he's only missed three games because of a left knee contusion, but played through a broken nose.

Irving, 21, is averaging 21.5 points and 6.3 assists this season.

It would have been nice to see them fight for the 8 seed a while longer (and maybe get it). Oh well.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
He's made of glass.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

He's made of glass.

and magically this glass appears the last month of the season when we need to lose games.

I am not normally a big conspiracy theorist, but Kyrie himself has intimated it in the past (that the staff holds out players for any minor ailment down the stretch of a losing season).

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It wasn't the end of the season when he missed his entire freshman year at Duke, or when he broke his wrist slapping a gym wall over the summer.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I don't always use purple font

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
My mistake. There are a lot of people who believe that they're faking injuries, but I'm not one of those people.

N
Legend
Legend
N
no worries, I can see how you read it w/o the sarcasm I intended.

Last edited by no_logo_required; 03/18/14 10:41 AM.

#gmstrong
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So without Kyrie...

We lose a close game to the Heat(w/o Wade), which needed LeBron to go off for 40...

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
And Dion went for a double double.(17 points, 11 assists, and 4 rebounds) Andy also went for a double double, and Hawes came within a rebound of a double double of his own.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
They should consider trading one of them. Dion did play well, but he isn't the playmaker of Kyrie. I think he had 6 turnovers, and missed a few shots at the rim. I would only trade Kyrie if we were able to get someone like Kevin Love. Not sure what Dion would bring back in a trade, but this team has too many holes to be having 2 guys with very similar games.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Who could have predicted Waiters chucking nineteen shots with Irving out?

Oh. Everyone. Got it.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
you have to remember Deng didn't play either. That's around 40pts not in the lineup. Really didn't have a problem with Dion taking 19 shots. Just prefer he make a few more.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Oh. Everyone. Got it.

True. It's hard for anyone to chuck 19 shots when Kyrie's healthy, except for Kyrie. When the cat is away, the mice will play.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Oh. Everyone. Got it.

True. It's hard for anyone to chuck 19 shots when Kyrie's healthy, except for Kyrie. When the cat is away, the mice will play.

Yeah, but who had 11 assists in the pool for Dion? Anyone?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah I didn't see why Deng didn't play and i'm suprised miles didn't play more..miles could have got some of those points missing from kyrie/deng being out. I have no idea how dellavedova is still in the nba...i get he's a hustle guy, but theres a dleague full of them, and they can actually play. This dude is frustrating to watch. That was a very winnable game...i mean if they didn't have lebron..they'd be a lottery team..simple as that...and thats with bosh/allen and maybe even dwade in the 12 games a year he plays. I think what ever team lebron picks in his prime are a championship caliber team. I think he knows that and he knows the heat aren't really the best option moving forward, he can go to a team with more and younger pieces and I think be more successful. The sun has set on the Heat. I don't think they get out of the east this year.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Adam Silver: Ads on jerseys 'inevitable'
By Royce Young | NBA writer
March 20, 2014 8:00 am CT

The NBA had a plan to put advertising on jerseys in the past few seasons. But it fell through.

Still, it's coming. And maybe soon.

"I think it's inevitable," commissioner Adam Silver said at a recent conference, via AdAge.com.

"It just creates that much more of an opportunity for our marketing partners to get that much closer to our fans and to our players. It gives us an opportunity just to have deeper integration when it comes to those forms of sponsorship," Silver said. "Increasingly as we see Champion's League and English Premier League televised in the US, I think it's going to become more acceptable and more commonplace for our fans as well."

As for timeframe, Silver was asked if the change could come within the next five years to which he initially said "definitely," but then hedged by saying "most likely."

Two years ago, an estimate said advertising on jerseys could bring in an additional $100 million in league revenue.

A pretty obvious working theory is the addition of more and more sleeved jerseys is due to the plan to implement adversiting on those sleeves.

But money to be made, you can be sure that the NBA will be repping Coca-Cola or Verizon or whoever next to Lakers, Bulls or Heat. It's just a matter of time.

Ads on soccer jerseys are acceptable because there aren't commerical breaks throughout the game. It's a tradeoff. But if the NBA wants to go both, commericals AND ads on the jerseys, that's going to get tough on the eyes and my patience.

I've already gone on record that watching a NFL or NBA game is an increasingly difficult task. The lengthy commercial breaks and the constant "that layup/TD was sponsored by <insert product name here>" are just too much. I feel like 50% of the game is just ads.

Sperg and I have talked about it a lot. Watching an EPL game feels "different". Yes soccer is a little slower but you're not breaking away from the action, ever. It's like how the Masters sometimes runs without commercials, it's freaking great. The NBA better be careful, a lot less people will want to wear a jersey with a Coke logo on it and I'm sure some will just start turning the channel too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
American sports fans and media alike are obsessed with scoring. They treat high scoring football games as instant classics and hardly give notice to a 14-10 win. I'm sure fantasy football sports has a lot to do with it.

Soccer is so far on the other end that I think it draws American fans away, other than your true soccer fans and hipster-sports types (90% of MLS fans).

I think the surplus of commercial breaks make the NFL worse. You can tell college football uses less commercial time, and the game flows so much better.

Although I was at the Big Ten Championship, and it felt a lot more like an NFL game. Probably because it was a "playoff" game on national TV, in front of pretty much every single college football fan in the world, but there were just so many tv timeouts that I thought the flow of the game was ruined (the game was still really good, one of the better events I've attended)

I have complained before, but the Touchdown-commercial-kickoff-commercial sequence is the absolute worst. That needs to stop.

I also am buying less into the "our guys/defense were just tired" theory/excuse for when your team loses, because even if they are being dominated in TOP, they are still sitting and standing around a TON.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs and NBA Discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard