Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
This news is shocking.

When I connect the dots, it appears to be based in truth. I wonder if Lombardi and Banner's inability to land Harbaugh resulted in their dismissal?

I am not sure how I feel about the move. I love Harbaugh as a coach. I do remember him saying that Cleveland didn't have a shot of hiring him when he left Stanford, but that was when The Big Show was here.

I guess the big question is what draft picks were offered? Without knowing that, it's hard to offer an intelligent opinion on the proposed trade.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I guess the big question is what draft picks were offered?

Only what was reported as multiple picks. While Harbaugh may be a good coach, I dislike his at times, outrageous, undisciplined behavior. I don't want him here on any level, certainly not selling our 2014 draft to do so. This was a daft idea...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
So wait, Harbaugh takes the niners to the SB and to brink of the SB the last two years and he's on the outs with the ownership?

wow

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I guess the big question is what draft picks were offered? Without knowing that, it's hard to offer an intelligent opinion on the proposed trade.

While we can't know what was offered by the Browns (if the report is true), I think its safe to say it would have been along the same lines as the price Tampa paid for Gruden. In other words - a lot. Too much? Hell if I know ...

From Wiki:
After compiling a 40–28 win-loss record (including playoffs) in four seasons with the Raiders, Gruden replaced the fired Tony Dungy as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002, via a high-stakes trade that included Tampa Bay's 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks, 2002 and 2004 second-round draft picks, and $8 million in cash.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

This news is shocking.

When I connect the dots, it appears to be based in truth. I wonder if Lombardi and Banner's inability to land Harbaugh resulted in their dismissal?

I am not sure how I feel about the move. I love Harbaugh as a coach. I do remember him saying that Cleveland didn't have a shot of hiring him when he left Stanford, but that was when The Big Show was here.

That is the key here. If the report is true, there still hasn't been any leak on what the compensation would have been.

The Pats gave up a first round pick to hire Belichick; the Bucs traded two firsts AND two seconds to hire Gruden, so there's a pretty wide range of precedent here.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ultimately though, it's a moot point. Even if the report is true, Harbaugh chose not to come here. That puts the kabosh on the deal, period. For all we know, he was simply using the Browns as leverage to get a better deal from the 49ers. There are a lot of 'ifs' in there though.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ultimately though, it's a moot point. Even if the report is true, Harbaugh chose not to come here. That puts the kabosh on the deal, period. For all we know, he was simply using the Browns as leverage to get a better deal from the 49ers. There are a lot of 'ifs' in there though.

FWIW, Jed York is saying it's not true...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it's complete bull$#!% started by Lombardi to make him look somehow heroic and to throw the Cleveland FO and fan base into a tizzy. He's a scumbag POS and is the only player on the board with any motivation whatsoever to float this story. The 49ers would be completely stupid to entertain any offer like that and Harbaugh would have to be a complete moron to walk away. Lombardi, scumbag, end of story.

Jim Harbaugh: I know nothing about trade with Browns

* By Gregg Rosenthal
* Around The League Editor
* Published: Feb. 22, 2014 at 09:23 a.m.
* Updated: Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:03 a.m.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL Scouting Combine was rocked late Friday afternoon by a ProFootballTalk report that the Browns were close to a trade that would have brought coach Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland.

San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York quickly said that the report "isn't true" on Twitter. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the Browns did make a run at Harbaugh, as did the University of Texas, per sources informed of the Browns' thinking. But Harbaugh wasn't interested in the move, per Rapoport.

Now Harbaugh is going on the record with a strong denial as well.

"I echo Jed York's comment ... 'isn't true,'" Harbaugh told ESPN's Ed Werder in a text message. "I know nothing about a trade with the Cleveland Browns and us, involving me."

The Browns, meanwhile, issued a statement that didn't exactly confirm or deny the story.

"The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options. That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine and we're excited about his future with the club," the Browns said in a statement.

Browns CEO Joe Banner, who only has a few months left with the team, acknowledged weeks ago that there was a "mystery candidate" for the Browns' head-coaching job that was never revealed.

Browns coach Mike Pettine will meet with the media here in Indianapolis on Saturday morning, but his response is almost irrelevant. It's more interesting to ponder what's next with the 49ers and Harbaugh.

The 49ers and Harbaugh have both previously expressed public interest in a contract extension. No deal was able to be reached last offseason. CSNBayArea's Matt Maiocco reported Friday that the 49ers are "believed to be offering less in guaranteed money on a short-term deal" for Harbaugh with him only reaching the upper levels of NFL coaches if he wins a Super Bowl. One source told Maiocco that the 49ers are not expected to pay Harbaugh like a Super Bowl-winning coach if he has not won a Super Bowl.

This news of the Browns' interest could oddly help Harbaugh. It's more important than ever for the franchise and Harbaugh to present a united front to their fans and players. A new contract would accomplish that.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think the Browns didn't mind confirming it somewhat, because it lets the fan base know he explored every option....gives the Jimmaayy some good PR. I believe the source within the 49ers who leaked it to begin with was Harbaugh himself, because it makes him look sympathetic and gives him negotiating power moving forward.

Someone mentioned in another thread and it holds true here IMO.......these "insiders" get information that people want to be made public for one reason or another.

Kinda fits what I mentioned to U doesn't it?

And yes when things are leaked it is supposed to benefit someone..we need to think who would benefit from having that leaked out?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I think it's complete bull$#!% started by Lombardi to make him look somehow heroic and to throw the Cleveland FO and fan base into a tizzy.

Yeah, that's logical.

We have posters saying it would have been a dumb move.

And why would Lombardi want that? He is out of the hell-hole that is Cleveland in one of the most stable franchises in all of sports.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Sound thinking. And this time, I am not being sarcastic.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think the Browns didn't mind confirming it somewhat, because it lets the fan base know he explored every option....gives the Jimmaayy some good PR. I believe the source within the 49ers who leaked it to begin with was Harbaugh himself, because it makes him look sympathetic and gives him negotiating power moving forward.

Someone mentioned in another thread and it holds true here IMO.......these "insiders" get information that people want to be made public for one reason or another.

Kinda fits what I mentioned to U doesn't it?

And yes when things are leaked it is supposed to benefit someone..we need to think who would benefit from having that leaked out?

Only two types of people would leak that story. (true or not)

A. Someone internal to the Browns wanting to let the fanbase know they went out on a limb to try to get a great HC

B. Someone that has an ax to grind. that could be Lombardi or Banner. My vote would be for Lombardi because he's at the Combine and would have found it easy to leak the story to one of his friends.

My guess, Lombardi. Reason, if it was someone internal to the Browns, it could easily backfire as another failed attempt to lure a popular HC to the Browns.

Yeah, Lombardi.. I think Cal is Right...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
You really haven't considered a third possibility? How about Harbaugh? Think it through for a moment. It might come to you.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You really haven't considered a third possibility? How about Harbaugh? Think it through for a moment. It might come to you.

yes of course, I see your point. He could have floated that story to get a better deal. No question

I'm still going with Lombardi however. Reason, Harbaugh is gonna get his coin either way.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Was listening to a talk show and the guy on it mentioned that JH and the 49ers were a little at odds with each other.
I don't know how much, I do know in the past it has been noted there were some differences between him and the team so I would tend to think that could have come from him,..and supposedly Lombardi is good friends with him also.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is just another fabrication that comes out during the off season. Complete and utter nonsense. No WAY would the Niners deal their Head Coach. No WAY would Harbaugh even consider leaving that team, let alone for a team like the Browns.
The Browns may have called. But IF they did, I'm certain they got laughed off the phone. Loudly.

He's had the Niners in the playoffs every season he's been there, and took them to a SB two years ago. They made the NFC Championship this last season. To cut ties with Harbaugh would be monumentally stupid.

I call BS.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
V
Legend
Legend
V
That makes sense to me.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is just another fabrication that comes out during the off season. Complete and utter nonsense. No WAY would the Niners deal their Head Coach. No WAY would Harbaugh even consider leaving that team, let alone for a team like the Browns.
The Browns may have called. But IF they did, I'm certain they got laughed off the phone. Loudly.

He's had the Niners in the playoffs every season he's been there, and took them to a SB two years ago. They made the NFC Championship this last season. To cut ties with Harbaugh would be monumentally stupid.

I call BS.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that Lombardi made that call (which is another reason he's gone perhaps) to help Harbaugh out with contract talks in SF.

Then Leak the story to the press at the combine to get a dig in against the Browns..

But who knows and I agree with you,, This whole story smells bad,, a little like BS....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

yes of course, I see your point. He could have floated that story to get a better deal. No question

I'm still going with Lombardi however. Reason, Harbaugh is gonna get his coin either way.

Harbaugh doesn't need to float that story for any reason, in fact it would be stupid to do so, alienating him both from the players and from ownership. Besides, if there were so called draft picks involved and since Harbaugh is under contract, then ownership, not Harbaugh, would be taking lead in negotiations. So to think Harbaugh is leaking this story to improve his negotiating position against an ownership that would have to be complicit in and desirous of getting rid of him in the first place is completely ridiculous. This whole thing stinks of fantasy and has the stench of Lombardi all over it.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the rumor has any legs..If it came from him...Maybe he wants out....?
I could see Lombardi leaking this also.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 02/22/14 04:50 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we'll eventually learn that an inquiry was made and rejected and that's all that happened. Everything else and anything having to do with the leak and inflated scope of this story is Lombardi related. JMHO

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually what was reported on the NFL Network today made the most sense to me.

Basically stated there was an initial call made and Harbaugh simply balked at the idea of leaving San Fran. No draft picks or terms mentioned because it never got that far.

But secondly, I don't see how leaking a story where you refused to leave your job as their coach would alienate any fans. To me it would show them you want to be there and refused to leave.

There was a similar story about offers from Texas to Harbaugh which he also refused.

How would you draw the conclusion that would alienate your fan base?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The original story leaked was that he was set to do the deal but his family, specifically his wife said no. Where do you see me concluding it would alienate the fan base? Though it certainly could be true if there were a shred of truth to the original story.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Harbaugh doesn't need to float that story for any reason, in fact it would be stupid to do so, alienating him both from the players and from ownership.

From this post you made on the previous page.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Harbaugh doesn't need to float that story for any reason, in fact it would be stupid to do so, alienating him both from the players and from ownership.

From this post you made on the previous page.

Yeah... Don't see fan base written there, but as I posted...

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
from the redzone............

Mike Pettine said the Harbaugh trade story had 'zero effect' on him

2/22/2014 3:51:02 PM

Browns coach Mike Pettine stressed Saturday that he doesn't give a "flying ----'' or a "rat's ---'' about the report the Browns tried to trade for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh just before they hired him, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports..

"I got a phone call saying that report was about to come out and I shot the messenger a little bit,'' Pettine said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I asked, ‘How does that affect my tenure as the head coach? Has that changed?' The obvious answer was 'no' and I think my next sentence, I either used the word flying followed by something, or referenced a part of a rat’s body.''

Pettine vowed that the report, by profootballtalk.com's Mike Florio, will have no bearing on his job moving forward.

"It doesn't faze me,'' he said. "That's noise to me. That’s a critical thing. A big part of being an NFL head coach is dealing with the noise, dealing with the distractions. Just add that one to list.''

Pettine said that if anything, such a power-play makes a positive statement on the club.

"What it tells me is that the Cleveland Browns have a desire to win and get this team back to a championship level,'' he said. "To me, it shows the commitment, but as far as how it affects me and my approach to how I'm going to coach this football team and how we are moving forward, has zero effect.''

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Vers I think they were in hot water for their responsibilities of the poor showing in 2013. But it was the interview process that shocked Haslam I believe. As Lombardi had two big names in McDaniels and Harbaugh but I think the discord between Banner and Lombardi showed up and was obvious to both candidate and Haslam - Something turned Harbaugh off as he was the one who nixed it at the end but in the beginning was the one who sort of gave it a nod with Lombardi. Also McDaniels chose to bow out as well again in both case it wasn't Lombardi who scared them off.

We know of the Wisenhunt but that was public and we know of the whats his name highly recommended by BB and the OSU HC. I think the friction and growing farther apart in Banner and Lombardi was very evident turning off a lot of the candidates and Haslam. Who knew until the bits and pieces came in.

In a way I actually feel sorry for Lombardi...I think if it was just him as CEO and Farmer as GM it would have worked out as it seemed Lombardi had a plan but Banner did not.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

I was wondering, how many of you really feel that going after Harbaugh (if true) was a bad idea?

First off, I think the entire thing was blown out of whack.. But, if true, I'd say that it's basically turning over every rock to find a winner. that can't be a bad thing.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Guess it was true after all

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/02/23...d-jim-harbaugh/

WOW,, This is the article that Dawg LB mentioned in PM I guess..

Anyway, not sure how others look at this, but what it says to me is that Haslam left no stone unturned to get a HC.. That's actually pretty bold..

EDIT: Another thought occurred to me.. By saying that he did try to get Harbaugh, all those that said it didn't happen are now known liars LOL wow. I bet he made a few friends......

Last edited by Damanshot; 02/24/14 08:12 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
2nd String
2nd String
Haslam needs to learn to shut up. He just made Farmer's job a lot harder as other teams in the league will be hesitant to discuss trade scenarios with us in the future knowing the ownership of the Browns has a big mouth.

At least we know he now didn't know about what was going on at Pilot Flying J. If he did, he would have told the whole world.

M
Legend
Legend
M
For me, I'm glad this never happened.

1. It probably would have cost us a boat load of picks (some of which I'm guessing would be early rounders). At this point we have nothing significant to show from the 2013 draft. I would hate for the same thing to possibly happen in 2014.

2. I've always viewed Harbaugh as a loose cannon. Sure, he is a good coach but it looks as though he is becoming another guy that wants all the credit and power over the front office and it is wearing organization thin. Talk about egos.....

Try to imagine Banner and Harbaugh in a draft war room!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Haslam needs to learn to shut up. He just made Farmer's job a lot harder as other teams in the league will be hesitant to discuss trade scenarios with us in the future knowing the ownership of the Browns has a big mouth.

At least we know he now didn't know about what was going on at Pilot Flying J. If he did, he would have told the whole world.

that was good...

Seriously, he shouldn't have spoken about it. He should have shut up.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. He does need to keep his mouth shut.

I think we may be getting a NEO Jerry Jones on our hands.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

For me, I'm glad this never happened.

No need to worry; Harbaugh would have failed his physical...

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

What? They asked the 49ers about it, they lied about it. Haslam was asked about it, and said there was something there that didn't materialize.

Big deal.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
This is after the 49ers CEO said he knew nothing about it though. He didn't make any friends with that move.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

littlebig...I agree, not a big deal...

...the story has been public for two or three days and 90% or more believe the Browns and 9ers had some kind of talks concerning Harbaugh going to Cleveland for draft picks.

The idea that Haslam just gave up top secret information that is somehow going to damage the creditability of the Browns front office is a bit of a stretch.

Haslam simply confirmed what everyone already believed happened.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

How far or to what level did this permeate into the 49ers FO? I understand that the Browns (and Texas) made an inquiry to Harbaugh's agent. According to the story, Harbaugh briefly considered the move and subsequently declined. Now did this actually reach the 49ers FO and was trade compensation discussed? Don't know...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I think that would've been the smarter move. If they didn't want to deny it (because that would've been lying, I guess), they could've put out another canned "neither confirm nor deny" statements for the media to chew on. When pressed, he should've said, "it's in the past, we got our guy."

Or, the other GMs just don't care...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sources: Browns tried to trade for Jim Harbaugh

Link Copied to Clipboard