BADdog #856380 02/26/14 06:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wow someone needs a new sig

It happens to us all.

Long Live Pontbriand!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Wow someone needs a new sig

It happens to us all.

Long Live Pontbriand!

I hope I never have to change my sig.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

DQ has suffered amongst us for many years. I hope he finds a soft landing spot with one of his many former coaches that are sprinkled throughout the NFL now.

Amen. I'm thinking we might miss him.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is just the beginning of Farmer and Pettine restructuring the roster. Given our continual 4-12 seasons, I say go for it. I am sure there will be more unpopular decisions made.

Good, because in reality what we have and have done the past 15 years ain't working
Change is needed and welcome
JM0

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
I don't really consider it unpopular as much as inevitable, unfortunately.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
I am sure there will be more moves, but most will be minor. Jason Campbell and Weeden are as good as gone. Other than those two I don't see anything else too big on the horizon

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I don't really consider it unpopular as much as inevitable, unfortunately.

Watch it will morph into an unpopular choice and the I enivitable debate of old FO vs new

I can see it now you guys like this decision? LOL you would have hated it if Banner made it.

Just wait

#gmstrong

cfrs15 #856387 02/26/14 06:29 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I am sure there will be more moves, but most will be minor. Jason Campbell and Weeden are as good as gone. Other than those two I don't see anything else too big on the horizon

Did you see this coming? I did not, even though I have no problem with it

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's actually pretty cool to see Browns' fans saying goodbye to DQ on twitter. There is much love and respect for what he did in Cleveland. For anyone that is interested, check out #ThankYouDQ52.
(Not intended for you, Damanshot. )

I thought it was a nice send off for the guy regardless of what you thought about him and/or his play. No matter how bad our team is, we always tend to latch on to individual players regardless. And that's not a bad thing.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah that is cool, I think we can all respect what someone like DQ did for our team

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
Business -- but also football -- ended LB D'Qwell Jackson's time with the Browns

Ray Farmer’s first tough decision as general manager of the Browns has resulted in the release of the most respected player in their locker room.

The Browns decided to release inside linebacker and defensive captain D’Qwell Jackson rather than pay a $4 million roster bonus.

He was also due a $100, 000 workout bonus and $3.933 million salary as a result of incentives met last year, when he played every defensive snap (1,149) except a Hail Mary attempt at the end of the Minnesota game.

Jackson and the Browns had talks after the collective dust of coaching and front-office blow-ups settled. But there surely is evidence that this was more than a financial decision. Such as:

* The Browns have plenty of salary cap room – reportedly $51.2 million – under a cap that may balloon as high as $132 million. If they badly wanted him to remain in the middle of new coach Mike Pettine’s defense, they could have accommodated that with some agreeable restructuring.

* Mike Silver of NFL Network reported that before Bart Scott ended his playing career and accepted a position with CBS, the Browns were interested in bringing in the former Ravens and Jets linebacker to serve as a stop-gap.

Pettine, who coached Scott at Baltimore and the Jets, was asked about Jackson last week at the NFL Combine and praised him for his intangibles but made no reference to Jackson’s fit in his defensive scheme.

“It’s easy to see why he’s so highly thought of. The leadership ability, the intangibles to me are off the chart,” Pettine said.

The coach said he spoke with Jackson “within the first week I was hired.”

“He was in town and bounced right up to the office. You could tell he’s special,” he said.

Jackson, 30, knew his contract would be a huge factor in his future with the Browns at the conclusion of the 2013 season. He sounded agreeable to working toward a restructuring and vowed to outlast the franchise’s losing ways because he wanted to be here when things got turned around.

But that was before Pettine replaced Rob Chudzinski as head coach and then Farmer replaced Mike Lombardi as GM and Joe Banner was fired as CEO.

In the club’s statement on the news, Farmer said:

“We had positive discussion with D’Qwell and his agent over the last several days, and we came to the mutual agreement to go in different directions. D’Qwell is the epitome of class, leadership and professionalism. Every day of his NFL career, D’Qwell has been a solid representative of the Browns and the City of Cleveland, both between the lines on Sundays and off the field in our area community. We want to thank him for his eight years of service and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”

Jackson was the longest-tenured player drafted by the club. He was a second-round pick in the 2006 draft, selected by former GM Phil Savage. Jackson suffered through four head coaches (Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Chudzinski) and five defensive coordinators (Todd Grantham, Mel Tucker, Rob Ryan, Dick Jauron, Ray Horton).

After Jackson suffered separate torn pectoral muscle injuries that cost him 22 games in the 2009 and 2010 seasons, he worked hard to return and never missed a game in the succeeding three seasons.

He was rewarded by former GM Tom Heckert in 2012 with a five-year contract extension totaling $38.5 million. His release will cost the Browns $4.2 million in “dead money” on their cap – but that’s $5.233 million less than Jackson would have counted under his current contract.

In the statement released by the Browns, Jackson said:

“To the people of Cleveland and Browns fans everywhere: Eight years ago I began a journey that blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of a wonderful organization and community. I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for opening your arms and hearts to my family and me, and for making Cleveland an easy place to love and call home. It’s been an honor playing in front of you.

“I also would like to thank the Browns players, coaches and staff for their tireless work and commitment. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all and will always carry you with me."

In the six seasons in which Jackson played 16 games, he averaged 139 tackles. Overall, in his eight years in Cleveland (one inactive), Jackson suffered through seven losing seasons. The Browns were 41-87 in those years.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=29021

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

People have been talking about Jackson being cut since the beginning of the 2013 season.

cfrs15 #856392 02/26/14 06:50 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

People have been talking about Jackson being cut since the beginning of the 2013 season.

If you are referring to the "2013 season" as when football games began, I'll say well before that....more like around when Horton was hired. It was apparent, with his prior experience/struggles in other 34 defense, he could be an issue. He had become much better in a 43 and going back to the 34 did scare some folks.

One thing that is peculiar is the timing of this release. Technically, the Browns had until March 15 to pay him his roster bonus of $4M. That's more than two weeks away. I'd think if the Browns REALLY wanted DQ back, they would have waited as long as they could to try and negotiate. However if Jackson REALLY wanted out, maybe he said he simply won't restructure.

We probably will never know.....like always.

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #856393 02/26/14 06:55 PM
Legend
Legend
This one hurts guys. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY was respected as much as DQ in the locker room. Nobody worked as hard, or carried the company line more than DQ did. He will be missed in Cleveland more than the regular fan will ever know. Good luck buddy I hope you end up on a Super Bowl team as nobody deserves it more than you

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you are referring to the "2013 season" as when football games began, I'll say well before that....more like around when Horton was hired. It was apparent, with his prior experience/struggles in other 34 defense, he could be an issue. He had become much better in a 43 and going back to the 34 did scare some folks.

One thing that is peculiar is the timing of this release. Technically, the Browns had until March 15 to pay him his roster bonus of $4M. That's more than two weeks away. I'd think if the Browns REALLY wanted DQ back, they would have waited as long as they could to try and negotiate. However if Jackson REALLY wanted out, maybe he said he simply won't restructure.

We probably will never know.....like always.

or they would have tried to trade him for a draft pick.

wonder why they didn't shop him at all?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
They respect him enough to give him a chance to catch on with another team.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DIEHARD #856396 02/26/14 07:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Sorry to see him go. Been an anchor and a tackling machine. Thanks for hanging tough, DQ; best of luck in the future.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #856397 02/26/14 07:15 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

I sure hope it was b/c he wasn't willing, or very flexible, on reconstructuring and not that the staff disliked him. Not sure how much blue collar you can get and he was extremely serviceable on the field.

Incredibly a sad day. Now we have two holes to fill at inside LB cause ain't none of the others (Tank, Eubanks, Roberston) are worth a bloody damn...

Dawg_LB #856398 02/26/14 07:17 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Other potential surprising cuts:

Rubin - hopefully traded, but good chance cut. I don't see us paying $8mil for a rotational DL in a 3-4. Love Rubin and I think he can get close to that somewhere else (especially 4-3 team), so I don't think he restructures.

Pinkston - if he's not healthy or just been away too long, then he costs too much.

Barnidge - he was Chud's guy. Chud's gone.

Groves - same, except he was Horton's guy.

Ogbonnaya - don't be surprised to see 3 new RBs.

Sanford - just didn't do enough to warrant a spot. He'll likely be on the team through August though.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Rubin - hopefully traded, but good chance cut. I don't see us paying $8mil for a rotational DL in a 3-4. Love Rubin and I think he can get close to that somewhere else (especially 4-3 team), so I don't think he restructures.

I think the move with DQ is a clear sign Farmer isn't liking paying the big dollar amounts and if DQ was at 4mil with no depth or anyone to fulfill, and Rubin as you said, 8mil with quality depth behind and etc - it doesn't look too promising for the big guy there...

Dawg_LB #856400 02/26/14 07:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This has more to do with scheme and fresh legs than salary. Smallwood, Borland, Skov, Jones all there to be had in rounds 2-4. I read the FO has shown particular interest in Jones. Several of my mocks have us taking 2 ILBs. I'm not sweating it, the holes will be filled.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg_LB #856401 02/26/14 07:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I think the move with DQ is a clear sign Farmer isn't liking paying the big dollar amounts and if DQ was at 4mil with no depth or anyone to fulfill, and Rubin as you said, 8mil with quality depth behind and etc - it doesn't look too promising for the big guy there...

Two totally different situations, DQ is best suited to a 4-3, is aging, and while he makes a lot of tackles, isn't a difference making play maker while Rubin is still young, has an incredibly high motor and fits the scheme. I think he stays.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #856402 02/26/14 07:28 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
At the holes we now have at ILB, you better hope they select two winners and that neither of them get injured as we have zero "quality" depth behind them...

I hear LB'ers are rich in this draft though, so perhaps we do our due diligence and pick up two monsters that can cover and, at the very least, help plug some run lanes when our big guys fail todo so...

Dawg_LB #856403 02/26/14 07:33 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
There is also the FA signing period. There is more than ample opportunity and time to address both spots at ILB.

Like many, I really like DQ and he has been a very valuable and stable player. All the best to him. I'm sure his leadership role will be the hardest thing to replace.

I tried to tell people that he wouldn't fit well in the 3-4 but many disagreed. It will be odd not to see the #52 on the field. And even odder to see someone else wearing it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #856404 02/26/14 07:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There is also the FA signing period. There is more than ample opportunity and time to address both spots

^This.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Pinkston - if he's not healthy or just been away too long, then he costs too much.

Sanford - just didn't do enough to warrant a spot. He'll likely be on the team through August though.

Rubin is the only one on that list that would be a surprise. The others wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for me.

Browns is the Browns

DIEHARD #856406 02/26/14 07:45 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Pretty much expected. I liked the guy, but the contract numbers just didn't mesh at this point.

DQ is a Brown. He'll be one of those guys sitting in the club section for a signing and still living, hanging around Cleveland for many years once his playing days are through This is where he made his mark and gained his fans. I doubt he makes the same mark on some other team for the 2-3-4 years he has left.

I normally don't care what players are paid. I say it isn't your money, but in this case, he is on the downward side of his career and upward side of his contract.

I'd rather lock up Hayden or Mack with DQ's money.

JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
PitDAWG #856407 02/26/14 07:46 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Free agent ILBs:

Donald Butler, Chargers

Jon Beason (could probably play ILB), Carolina

Karlos Dansby, Arizona.

Daryl Smith, Ravens. Bet they resign him for sure...

Brandon Spikes, NE Pats.

Shaun Phillips, Denver - forget really where he lined up when he played in the Charger's 3-4 (OLB I am sure but too lazy to confirm) - but he's a pass rusher and we've already got a bunch of them anyway.

... lots of aged people on that list, please add if I am missing anyone that isn't a OLB. I'd be happy with Butler though.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Geez, at some point you need depth!

I get what you're saying and I think there will be more cut as well. Jason Campbell comes top o' the list for me. I would say Greco as well, but the way his newly signed contract is structured, he essentially goes down to base pay if he loses his starting job.

The Rubin situation is interesting to me. I've also thrown out his name as someone who could be cut/re-structured/traded for quite some time now...since Horton was hired. I never thought he was all that good as a 34 NT under Crennel/Mangini and now think his weight/style is a dying breed in many 34 schemes for DE. I think lighter, more agile/athletic ends with long bodies are wanted. Simply look at the Desmond Bryant signing; Where Datone Jones was drafted; JJ Watt and Calais Campbell. Heck, Billy Winn and John Hughes fits this mold too (although Huges is a little on the heavier side). These 300-315lbs with longer frames that are more difficult to control than the large, slower 320-330 big-bodied DE that simply are asked to take up gaps. I see more 3-4 DCs having an inclination for their ends get after the QB. I'm not sure Rubin fits that mold if we stay in a 34 attack D I'm trying to describe....And Pettine has said he wants an attacking D.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg_LB #856409 02/26/14 07:51 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just wondering if they see someone on the current roster moving to the inside? Not sure but stranger things have happened.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

Rubin is the only one on that list that would be a surprise. The others wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for me.

Groves and Rubin for me. Can never have too many pass rushers. Groves does one thing really well ... rush the passer.

DjangoBrown #856411 02/26/14 07:55 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot · 6m
D'Q Jackson said #Browns tried to restructure his contract, but the number wasn't right for him and "I want to go somewhere with stability''

I want to go somewhere with stability''

Good, so at least they wanted him back.

Not sure if we low-balled him or if he thinks he's worth more, but he won't even sniff the 4mil he would have made as base salary now. Dansby got barely over 2mil last season on his one year deal.
Having said that and with his agent knowing full well that he'll make less wherever he goes....to me means he wanted out.

I wonder if you put the two comments together... "the number wasn't right" and "Want more stability".. if the number in question isn't the years number and not the dollar figure number.

When anybody sees stability they immediately think of our staff and FO turnover... but I wonder if he means his own contract stability.. if they offered him one year or even two, he might have meant stability as in, I don't want to have to renegotiate every year... Just an alternate opinion....

That said, I always felt a special connection to DQ because he was a Terp first.. I remember saying the day he was drafted, he'll be a good solid LB for a long time but he's never going to be a real dominant force and I was right. I also said if they could put that dominant guy beside him in the near future, he would excel but they just never did..

Oh well, I wish him a good productive few more years in the NFL.. and hopefully a chance to play for a winner for a while before he retires.. just wish it had been here.

yebat' Putin
PitDAWG #856412 02/26/14 07:55 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I'm just wondering if they see someone on the current roster moving to the inside? Not sure but stranger things have happened.

TJ Ward?

j/K

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #856413 02/26/14 07:59 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

rubin will be next.

That would be ridiculous. I would be surprised.

Jackson was released because we could save money and he doesn't fit the defense. If he fit the defense he wouldn't have been released because we have enough cap space to absorb the salary.

Releasing Rubin would save money, but he seems to fit the defense.

D'Qwell was due a $4.1 million roster bonus. He wasn't going to get it.

Ahtyba Rubin is due a $200,000 roster bonus. He'll probably get it. Even if they pay him, they could probably trade him for something. He probably won't get re-signed when he becomes a free agent though if he is still on the team for next season.

Rishuz #856414 02/26/14 08:01 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Groves averages a sack per year it seems. He's old and a bust. He should be cut and replaced by a project pick in the draft.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

TJ Ward?

Maybe....or Mack. I'd gladly sacrafice DQ's money to keep them.

j/K

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So uhhhhh, can Khalil Mack play inside?

Cause if that's the case, I'd have no issues taking him at 4.

I would love to draft MAck. But I would definitely keep him as an OLB. I would look to move Sheard inside. Possibly Kruger.

Seems like we will definitely be adding an ILB (either through FA or via the draft).

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #856417 02/26/14 08:11 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

So uhhhhh, can Khalil Mack play inside?

Cause if that's the case, I'd have no issues taking him at 4.

I would love to draft MAck. But I would definitely keep him as an OLB. I would look to move Sheard inside. Possibly Kruger.

Seems like we will definitely be adding an ILB (either through FA or via the draft).

I am thinking he is our target....we can find a inside lb.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
GMdawg #856418 02/26/14 08:22 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

This one hurts guys. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY was respected as much as DQ in the locker room. Nobody worked as hard, or carried the company line more than DQ did. He will be missed in Cleveland more than the regular fan will ever know. Good luck buddy I hope you end up on a Super Bowl team as nobody deserves it more than you

The thing that is odd is that if you listen to Pettine and Farmer describe the type of player they want, DQ fits that to a tee.

I think it's money and only money. and that's hard to swallow also because we have so much money under the CAP. SO yeah, this is a little confusing.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Well, ILB just moved up on the priority list, fo' sho'.

I though that it was a priority anyway. There are about to be some decent ILB free agents to hit the market. Donald Butler (SD), Perry Riley (WAS), Arthur Moats (BUF), Brandon Spikes (NE), Darryl Sharpton (HOU) are just a few.

Moats might be a target for sure. The LBs coach for Buffalo was tapped to be the DC and Pettine was the DC there last year.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/inside-linebacker/

There are also a few nice ones available in the draft too.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/ILB

Why pay D'Qwell Jackson that when it could be used to sign one of these other guys and depending on where the ILB is taken in the draft, the entire rookie contract of a draft pick?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DQ Released

Link Copied to Clipboard