Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It's not ludicrous at all. What gives you the impression that it would have to be any sort of business-instated policy?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
As much as I don't really care for lawsuits in many cases, that is the answer to your question.

It's how every discrimination case I've ever seen have been settled.

Now in the case of the ambulance service, you may get something like a negligent homicide charge. Not sure but when your actions or lack there of are a part of the discussion in someone's death, that is the point I believe criminal law would enter things.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If businesses aren't allowed to discriminate based on whatever bigotry....how is that enforced?

If you discriminate against me I take you to court and use you. I thought that was obvious.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Ok. Put "you go to court and get sued" at the first part of my logic string and the rest still follows

You aren't aggressing against anyone when you refuse them service. Assuming it isn't some life or death situation.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The rest of your logic doesn't follow because you don't go to prison if you lose a lawsuit.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If businesses aren't allowed to discriminate based on whatever bigotry....how is that enforced?

Obviously there would have to be some sort of fine in place or the mandate would make no sense.

What happens when someone refuses to pay that fine? Typically you would be put in jail right?

If you want to advance the argument fully (uh oh here is the gun)...what happens if that person then refuses to be taken to jail?

So then that person would be imprisoned for attempting to practice their religious beliefs..

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
....did you read the loop?

Go to court and be sued.
Be ordered to pay a fine.
Refuse to pay fine.
Go to Jail
Refuse to go to jail.
Shot by police.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you discriminate against me I take you to court and use you. I thought that was obvious.

That seems like a fairly drastic way to get people to empathize with gay rights.

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Go to court and be sued.
Refuse to pay fine.
Go to Jail
Refuse to go to jail.
Shot by police.

At this point I assume that you're just trolling.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

That seems like a fairly drastic way to get people to empathize with gay rights.

Ha!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Go to court and be sued.
Refuse to pay fine.
Go to Jail
Refuse to go to jail.
Shot by police.

Pretty sure you just gave Direct TV their next "Don't get shot by the police, get Direct TV" commercial lol

Legend
Legend

I HATE those commercials-

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's not ludicrous at all. What gives you the impression that it would have to be any sort of business-instated policy?

The law applies to businesses, not individual employees of those businesses. Your ambulance driver wouldn't have the choice to legally refuse to transport the gay heart attack victim at his discretion unless his company had a policy stating so. Hence the ludicrousness of your hypothetical situation.

For the record, I do think the law was discriminating and I'm glad it was vetoed.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I don't often get into politcal debates because I was raised by a libertarian and everything always made sense to me. So I don't exactly know how to go about changing someones mind on the subject. Same goes for religion

The government is a monopoly on violence. There are ethical ramifications to that if you care to delve deeply into it you can do so. I frankly can't understand the mindset of people who can't admit or understand the consequences of that reality.

I don't think it is ethical to threaten to arrest a business man for being discriminatory. Go shop somewhere else. How is someones bigotry harming you in any way? I'm not pro-bigotry, but I don't think violent solutions are an ethical way to go about solving social issues. If someone is outed as an outright bigot their business will fail and their personal life will be full of bigots. That is plenty of social justice for me. Sadly these people often have children and raise them with bigotry etc. which is the real social problem in my opinion.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

The law applies to businesses, not individual employees of those businesses. Your ambulance driver wouldn't have the choice to legally refuse to transport the gay heart attack victim at his discretion unless his company had a policy stating so. Hence the ludicrousness of your hypothetical situation.

For the record, I do think the law was discriminating and I'm glad it was vetoed.

The vetoed AZ law applied to individuals. It said that no state action could infringe on a person's right to freely practice their religion.

Legend
Legend
Not according to CNN:

"In short, SB1062 would amend the existing Religious Freedom Restoration Act, allowing business owners to deny service to gay and lesbian customers so long as proprietors were acting solely on their religious beliefs."

CNN

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Person includes ANY INDIVIDUAL, ASSOCIATION, PARTNERSHIP, CORPORATION, CHURCH, RELIGIOUS ASSEMBLY OR INSTITUTION, ESTATE, TRUST, FOUNDATION OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY.

Quote:

Except as provided in subsection C OF THIS SECTION, STATE ACTION shall not burden a person's exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability.

link

Subsection C states that religious exercise can be burdened if the burdening party demonstrates that the burdensome action is both furthering a compelling governmental interest and is the least restrictive means of doing so. That's all well and good, but if you're in an emergency situation where someone is refusing you service, you don't exactly have time to take them to court and sue them over it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am curious why you see the Tea Party, the movement I most identify with out of any organized major political group currently operating in America, as a bunch of "mindless bigots"?

I prefer lower taxes and smaller government. That is damn near the entirety of the Tea Party message. What is the part you find to be "bigoted"?

That was the tea party message before Obama. Now the entirety of the Tea Party message is anti gay, anti woman, anti Obamacare, and anti middle class. Yep "bigoted" in one word.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
imo, thats pretty much the opposite of smaller government, as well.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Yeah Baby ...bigotry is acceptable when hiding behind the holy bible. How ironic is that?

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I am curious why you see the Tea Party, the movement I most identify with out of any organized major political group currently operating in America, as a bunch of "mindless bigots"?

I prefer lower taxes and smaller government. That is damn near the entirety of the Tea Party message. What is the part you find to be "bigoted"?

That was the tea party message before Obama. Now the entirety of the Tea Party message is anti gay, anti woman, anti Obamacare, and anti middle class. Yep "bigoted" in one word.

I am anti Obamacare, because it will wind up being a massive expansion of government spending and control over peoples' lives.

Raising the minimum wage is a huge anti middle class move, because the middle class's eages are not rising in corresponding measure with those minimum wage increases. Our current monetary policy is hugely anti-Middle Class, as it has destroyed the value of savings. It was bad under Bush, and it has gotten worse under Obama. Obamacare, which increases payroll costs for most employers is anti jobs. There is a damn good argument that Obama is anti-Middle Class as well.

The Democrats have tried to silence women who have been raped, because the rapists have been powerful Democrats. Isn't that anti-woman as well?

I will acknowledge that the Republican Party has many people who have also done some of the things you suggest, but I don't know how many of them are Tea party members. Can you give me specific examples? I am not going to try and argue generalities.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It's funny how you say the Republicans are becoming more Democratic while I see it as the Democrats are becoming more Republican.

There is a lot of truth to both of these... Our two party system is quickly becoming party 1A and party 1B...

That may not be as bad a thing as you might think. If they start moving closer to each other, most problems may become easier to solve. Constant bickering isn't really fixing anything.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah Baby ...bigotry is acceptable when hiding behind the holy bible. How ironic is that?

Not sure why you're directing that post at me. I said in this thread that I thought the law was discriminating.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not according to CNN:

"In short, SB1062 would amend the existing Religious Freedom Restoration Act, allowing business owners to deny service to gay and lesbian customers so long as proprietors were acting solely on their religious beliefs."

CNN

You posted this. I made a comment. Do you not read your own posts?

Nevermind, I almost forgot, you are the one who posted a link here on that well known Internet hoax of a African priest drowning while trying to walk on water and lost your crediblity here.

– Jackie Robinson
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

Nevermind, I almost forgot, you are the one who posted a link here on that well known Internet hoax of a African priest drowning while trying to walk on water and lost your crediblity here.

Why are you so obsessed over him posting that story? You post about it constantly. You think that makes a person lose all credibility? You are the one looking foolish, not him.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Not according to CNN:

CNN

You posted this. I made a comment. Do you not read your own posts?

I will only speak for myself (but I'd bet most would agree), Jfan has a lot of respect here - and that's not because I agree with everything he says - it's because he's earned it. Just saying.

Legend
Legend

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
+1

– Jackie Robinson
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I think you're losing far more credibility harping on him than he ever did posting it.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I think you're losing far more credibility harping on him than he ever did posting it.

Agreed. X 29.

And perfectspiral - for me to agree with pdr - well, that's the equivalent of something that happens about once every......eh, every leap year. That might tell you something.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. X 29.

And perfectspiral - for me to agree with pdr - well, that's the equivalent of something that happens about once every......eh, every leap year. That might tell you something.

We've been busting each chops. Get over it people. I think he can stand up for himself. Or can he?

– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. X 29.

We've been busting each chops. Get over it people. I think he can stand up for himself. Or can he?

I'll say this: If Arch, Jules, and pdr can agree on something - it most definitely must be true. Take that for what it's worth.

Any other posters want to chime in on the "arch, jules, pdr" thing?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Quote:

While that is quite unusual, I agree with all three of you too. Which makes it yet a bigger anomaly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

While that is quite unusual, I agree with all three of you too. Which makes it yet a bigger anomaly.

spiral - since pit has joined the crowd........well..........do the math.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I obviously don't carry the same post count or the history/reputation that you guys do on this board, but I agree as well.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Maybe he should change his name from perfect spiral to wounded duck.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
post count and history has little to do with knowing right from wrong..

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

post count and history has little to do with knowing right from wrong..

Well, clearly my judgment is also flawed as I'm a Browns fan.

I was more referring to reputation.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wow! Thanks for the support all, but let's not overlook what PS has accomplished here. He's done something that most would have considered impossible.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Impossible?? not at all... you got them all to beleive a priest in africa actually drowned trying to walk on water. Easy peasy to fool folks around here.

– Jackie Robinson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... If Arizona bill becomes law, will NFL move Super Bowl?

Link Copied to Clipboard