Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
C
Legend
Legend
C
It's not like the Broncos were terrible. They were 8-8 and Cutler made the Pro Bowl the year Shanahan got fired.

They then hired McDaniels and he blew up everything unnecessarily.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's not like the Broncos were terrible. They were 8-8 and Cutler made the Pro Bowl the year Shanahan got fired.

They then hired McDaniels and he blew up everything unnecessarily.

And that's when the dark days started for Bronco's fans, when they hired McDaniels.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
I wish our dark days only lasted two years.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

ou have to remember that football is a gentleman's sport, off-field. People in that line of work are expected to be supportive and positive of other players and coaches. If they feel they can't be that, they'll probably just end up lying so they don't have to speak the truth.... It's just the way it goes sometimes.

I don't know if Jaworski was just being nice or perhaps he really thought Weeden had it?

Regardless, you don't hear many commentators throwing players under the bus, unless it's something major, like a drug bust/rape/whatnot.

Hard to buy that one, especially because he did bash Manziel.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Quote:

ou have to remember that football is a gentleman's sport, off-field. People in that line of work are expected to be supportive and positive of other players and coaches. If they feel they can't be that, they'll probably just end up lying so they don't have to speak the truth.... It's just the way it goes sometimes.

I don't know if Jaworski was just being nice or perhaps he really thought Weeden had it?

Regardless, you don't hear many commentators throwing players under the bus, unless it's something major, like a drug bust/rape/whatnot.

I wonder if Jaworski liked Weeden in his college days or in the pros? Just about anyone should have been able to see that he didn't have it while playing pro.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/johnny-manziel?id=2543462

6'0" Height
31 3/8" Arm Length
207LBS. Weight
9 7/8" Hands

Overview

Left school as a third-year sophomore. Won 2012 Heisman Trophy. 2012 Davey O’Brien Award Winner as nation's top quarterback. Two-time First-Team All-SEC. 2013: Finished fifth in Heisman voting. Started all 13 games. Led team in rushing with 759 yards. Suspended for first half of opener vs. Rice for violating NCAA bylaw saying student-athletes cannot permit their manes or likenesses to be used for commercial purposes. 2012: First Freshman to ever win Heisman Trophy. SEC Offensive Player of the Year. SEC Freshman of the Year. First Team All-SEC. Led the team in rushing with 1,410 yards. 2011: Redshirted. High School: A three-star player who was also recruited by Oregon. Misc: Arrested on June 29, 2012 for showing fake ID to police after getting into a fight at a College Station bar. Pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charge of failing to properly identify himself to police.

Analysis

Strengths

Has very big hands and grips the ball well on the move. Dynamic athlete. Exceptional game-day competitor -- rises to the occasion. Has a passion for the game. Played on the biggest of stages and revels in having his back against the wall. Stepped up against a national-championship Alabama defense in 2012 and has proven he can command come-from-behind victories, as he capped his career in the Chick-fil-A bowl vs. Duke by overcoming a 21-point halftime deficit. Sufficient timing, ball placement and accuracy (68.9 percent career passing percentage).

Terrific scrambling ability. Reverse spins and buys time in the pocket while continuing to scan the field -- can still set his feet, alter his throwing motion and manipulate his arm and throwing platform. Houdini-like escapability (uses subtle, nifty sidestep moves) and improvisional ability in the pocket to pull a rabbit out of his hat and create magic.

Has peripheral, wide-eyed running vision (sometimes seems like he has eyes in back of his head) and a very good feel for spacing. Carries the ball with a fearless confidence that he will find a way to create and usually gains positive yardage on broken plays when he appears trapped. Is mentally and physically tough -- will pop back up from hard collisions and respond to a challenge. Record-setting and award-winning two-year production. Has a knack for sustaining drives and possesses playmaking ability to create on third downs and in critical situations to keep the sticks moving.

Weaknesses

Has an unorthodox body type with marginal height, rounded shoulders, an underdeveloped body and very big feet that almost look clumsy. Will need to learn to do a better job protecting his body and sliding. Feels pocket ghosts and often takes off running at the second flash of coverage. Undisciplined -- plays his own offense and presses to make plays. Cannot see over the pocket easily and almost never steps up into it, creating extra difficulties for OL coaches to coordinate blocking schemes and for offensive linemen to anticipate where the pocket will be.

Dances around the pocket too much and creates needless sacks rolling into protection when the pocket is clean. Has not worked from under center, and footwork and set-up will require refinement. Often throws the ball up in the air and relies on big receivers to adjust to it and make plays, highly benefiting from the playmaking ability of Mike Evans. Tends to overshoot the deep ball and throw off his back foot, leading to some underthrows (too many dirtballs on the move) and diminished accuracy. Needlessly pats the ball when he scans the field.

Could stand to do a better job carrying out play-action fakes. Has not developed a reputation as a worker or for doing the extras. Suspect intangibles -- not a leader by example or known to inspire by his words. Carries a sense of entitlement and prima-donna arrogance seeking out the bright lights of Hollywood. Is known to party too much and is drawn to all the trappings of the game. Lacks ideal starting experience (only two years), operated a non-traditional offense and has a lot to learn.

Draft Projection

Round 1

Bottom Line
A very unique, run-around, ad-lib, sandlot-style quarterback who consistently won games playing a brand of fast-paced, jailbreak football that often goes off script and can be difficult both to game plan with and against. Is most comfortable on the move outside the pocket where he can find open throwing lanes and see the field and will command mush rush and extra spy defenders. Has defied the odds and proven to be a great college-system quarterback, but still must prove he is willing to work to be great, adjust his hard-partying, Hollywood lifestyle and be able to inspire his teammates by more than his playmaking ability.

Overall character, leadership ability and work habits will define his NFL career. Rare competitiveness and third-down efficiency could carry him a long way, yet he will be challenged to avoid a Ryan Leaf-like, crash-and-burn scenario if he does not settle down and mature. A high-risk, high-reward pick, Manziel stands to benefit from entering the NFL at a time when moving pockets are trending.

-Nolan Nawrocki

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if Jaworski liked Weeden in his college days or in the pros? Just about anyone should have been able to see that he didn't have it while playing pro.

If you look at Weedens rookie numbers, they werent "bad" he just happened to come in the same class that had Luck and RG3...

So when the idea is proposed that the new offense (Norv/Chuds) fits his style perfectly, it was easier for some (myself included) to buy into the idea that he could be a starter...

At that point I wasn't aware he was football dumb. Found out quickly...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you look at Weedens rookie numbers, they werent "bad" he just happened to come in the same class that had Luck and RG3...

So when the idea is proposed that the new offense (Norv/Chuds) fits his style perfectly, it was easier for some (myself included) to buy into the idea that he could be a starter...

At that point I wasn't aware he was football dumb. Found out quickly...

Oh No,, You didn't say you changed your mind did you? I mean, circumstances and and what you knew changed and you changed your thinking? How dare you LOL

You know, some would call you a liar for that! LOL

Just in case you weren't aware, if it's in purple, it's meant to be sarcasm

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Jaws actually made those comments about Weeden before last season.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You really have some serious issues.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Just for S's & G's ... (this is parody, not a real story)

Nike Signs Johnny Manziel to be the Face of their Child-Sized Shoes and Apparel

DJ Gallo
The Sports Pickle
Mar 7th, 2014

Many NFL scouts and teams have concerns about Johnny Manziel’s size. But Nike showed they think he is just the right size this week, signing the former Heisman winner to a multimillion, multi-year contract that will make Manziel the face of Nike for the youth and pint-sized set.

“Johnny is a unique athlete because he has the talents, abilities and production of a star football player, but he does it in a child-sized body,” said Nike Kids CEO Jeff McGill. “He’s basically what little kids everywhere dream about when they’re playing sports.”

The company had originally planned to sign Manziel to a typical athlete endorsement deal and brought him to their Oregon headquarters last month for a meeting. But they quickly realized most of their products were way too big.

“He looked like a little kid dressing up like his dad,” said Nike CEO Mark Parker. “He couldn’t reach most of the stuff on the racks and the neck of a hooded sweatshirt fell down over his shoulders. We were all kind of bummed out because we realized it wasn’t going to work out with Nike and Johnny, but then it hit me … Nike kids!”

Manziel will now help sell Nike child-sized shoes and athletic wear, but also lifestyle wear such as pants and shirts. And it will all be done under the new Nike Kids tag line: “Just Play.”

“It’s a better fit than we ever cold have dreamed of,” said McGill. “We wanted to expand into casual clothing and Johnny makes that natural for us because, let’s be honest, much of what makes Johnny Manziel Johnny Manziel comes from things that happen off the field, out of uniform. And the ‘Just Play’ line speaks to kids, but it also says something about having fun with sports and life — just like Johnny does. It’s perfect.”

The former Texas A&M quarterback says he’s excited to join the Nike family.

“Nike has been great to work with,” he said. “I’m looking forward to meeting a lot of MILFs through this ad campaign.”

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/03/nike-signs-johnny-manziel-face-child-sized-shoes-apparel

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
@ Dave -

Very, very funny!

Thanks for posting that. It cracked me up!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Trickshot Manziel with Dude Perfect

Thought was funny and great to watch. lol how about Dude Perfect in the 3rd round =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manziel is an enigma to me. If you have seen my previous posts, I love Bridgewater at #4. Manziel has too many ifssss (ssss on purpose). Yet if we took him at #4 I wouldn't be too upset.

Thats the thing, I believe he is 2nd round talent but I wouldn't cry if we too him at #4. ie an enigma.

he has the large hands that I love in a QB... yet I hate how he just throws it up when in trouble. I actually like his pocket awareness, but he scrambles too early.

Thing is i am scared we will take Carr.. who I hate (he is Weeden want to be). But build an offence around Manziel, we may have something.

Legend
Legend
The more I read about Manziel and Bortles, the more concerns I have. I am coming around to Bridgewater at 4, or the best available player at a different position. (just not Clowney, who I worry about from a motivation standpoint, especially on a team that has struggled in recent .... like the past dozen plus ... years)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IDK, Clowney might look good on this revamped D and I believe Dansby and Whitner will supply both strong and vocal leadership.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd almost be willing to bet a months salary that the Browns will not take him at 4.

Johnny Football has a history of being a Diva/ being outspoken
Shanny has a history with Diva/outspoken QB's and it never ends well. McNabb/RG3
However, he gets the most he can out of Quarterbacks that are more laid back and coachable.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'd almost be willing to bet a months salary that the Browns will not take him at 4.

Johnny Football has a history of being a Diva/ being outspoken
Shanny has a history with Diva/outspoken QB's and it never ends well. McNabb/RG3
However, he gets the most he can out of Quarterbacks that are more laid back and coachable.

I know it's easy to throw the "diva" tag on him, but if you followed him last year at all, his entire attitude seemed to change after that first game when he sat out the beginning, and then got a tongue lashing from his coach for showboating...

Assuming everything else were to check out, I think his personality would be a breath of fresh air with that team. They need something different. I think some of these players have to be tired of the "woe is me" attitude that goes on with these players after games, we all know that us fans are sick of it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I just think he carries far too many questions and bad habits that need to be coached to consider him at #4.

It seems he gets happy feet to run when the need to run simply isn't there. There will still be a good pocket and he hasn't went through his progressions and he takes off.

Seems a lot of his passes were just tossed up. That's fine when you have a Mike Evans against NCAA average CB's. But not at the pro level. When he does run, he has the ball out away from his body. Nothing in regards to ball security.

I don't question his attitude and will to succeed. But if every QB who had those attributes did succeed, the NFL wouldn't have a shortage of NFL franchise QB's.

I know many disagree with me, but I see as many or more questions about Manziel as I see answers. I would need to see a more well rounded QB and someone who goes through their progressions better than Manziel for me to consider taking that high in the draft.

But I have a feeling someone will take him top 10.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
That's what I meant when I said assuming everything else checked out. If the Browns feel ok about developing him to be a better pocket passer, and he can process the game and all that, then I don't think they should hold back because of a perceived "diva" attitude.

Like I said, projecting QB's from college to pro is so hard. People forget how damn good Colt McCoy and Brandon Weeden were in college. They were both really fun to watch...

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
It really is hard to make that projection. I just don't think Manziel is very good at working through his progressions.

My gut tells me he'd have some good games and some awful games but most importantly he'd be hurt quite often. I don't think he will be disciplined enough to know when to slide/throw it away vs. try to run for his life... I see a LOT of running for his life lol.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Rice played Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel this past season. Their defensive coordinator sat down with this writer and broke down some game tape of each QB. I thought it was pretty insightful.

Quote:

There is no consensus about who the Texans will take with the No. 1 overall pick of the 2014 NFL draft, if they even select a player at all. But this is certain: If the Texans use their potential franchise-changing pick to select a quarterback, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Central Florida's Blake Bortles or Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel will greet NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on May 8 in New York.

Two local college defensive coordinators – who have more than 50 combined years of coaching, including stints in the NFL, Southeastern and Big 12 Conferences -- recently opened their film rooms to the Houston Chronicle, providing a detailed look at how they countered, attacked and mostly tried to survive Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel.

The University of Houston faced Central Florida and Louisville in back-to-back road contests last November. The Cougars fell in both but David Gibbs' defense contained Bridgewater and Bortles, while holding the latter to his only game of the season when the Knights quarterback threw more interceptions (one) than touchdowns (zero).

"I see two safe picks. Two good dudes, good team leaders, good guys, all the tools. I don't see the bust," said Cougars defensive coordinator Gibbs, who served as the Texans' defensive backs coach from 2009-10.

Rice opened its 2013 season in College Station. Manziel only played the second half because a half-game suspension. But he was more efficient than he was all year, completing 6-of-8 passes for 94 yards, three touchdowns and a 297.5 passer rating.

"He's like carrying nitroglycerin around," Owls defensive coordinator Chris Thurmond said. "If you put it in the trunk of your car, you might get it where you're going. But, boy, you're always afraid it's going to blow up."

Gibbs and Thurmond were careful in their assessments about the prospects, who will showcase their skills a final time at their upcoming pro days. Bridgewater will be Monday, Bortles on Wednesday and Manziel on March 27.

The coordinators declined to be overly critical, respecting the unwritten rules of their profession. The duo also acknowledged everything from the offensive systems the quarterbacks' schools employed to the fact Houston and Rice weren't seen as must-win opponents limited the scope of their evaluations.

But the game tapes ultimately backed the current general reads on Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel. Bridgewater is highly polished and appears to be pro-ready, yet at times lacks buzz and a knockout punch. Bortles' frame, arm and long-term potential shine, as do his rawness and the reality he's the least prepared for Week 1. Manziel's in another world. He's electric and dynamic, often operating off pure instinct. He's also unconventional, unpredictable and falls somewhere between Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton and Tim Tebow after two thrilling but volatile years as the Aggies' starting QB.

"Sometimes in coaching, we want to make this a creative, robotic game," Thurmond said. "This is not a robotic game. This is a creative, reaction game and he proves it."

Teddy Bridgewater

Gibbs got Bortles and Bridgewater at the perfect time. The late-season Nov. 9 and 16 American Athletic Conference road matchups weren't ideal for the Cougars, who dropped from a season-best six games above .500 to 7-3. But Gibbs had more than two months' worth of game film as he prepared for the duo and the Cougars' defense didn't break in either matchup, only giving up 39 combined points and never allowing Bortles to fully lock in.

Based off the Cougars' video, Bridgewater clearly edged Bortles in several key categories. The 6-foot-2, 214-pound Louisville junior commanded a more pristine pro-style system, expertly adhered to the Cardinals' game plan and displayed everything from better execution to sharper accuracy and greater athleticism.

"Teddy can make all the throws. He gets rid of the ball quick. He is well-coached. … Very polished and impressive," Gibbs said.

During a season that saw Bridgewater complete 71 percent of his passes for 3,970 yards, 31 touchdowns and just four interceptions, he was 19-of-29 for 203 yards against the Cougars. Like Bortles, though, Bridgewater didn't record a touchdown versus Gibbs' defense and Louisville's QB stuck to the script Nov. 16 at Cardinal Stadium: play smart and efficient; only attack when there's a clear opening; let the running game and defense kill the clock.

Utilizing a high, quick release, smooth footwork and strong eyes, Bridgewater blended short slants and midfield crossing patterns with bootlegs, handoffs, bubble screens and an occasional deep route -- set up by deceptive play-action -- to wear down the Cougars. He stuck to called plays and quickly dissected the defense at the line of scrimmage, often employed fake audibles, regularly opted for the safe pass and rarely strayed from the norm.

"If I'm an offensive coach, if I'm a quarterback guy, this is exactly the kind of guy I want," Gibbs said. "He'll do exactly what you tell him to do."

When the Cougars utilized a nickel-based blitz, Bridgewater altered his approach and "took what was there." When the Cardinals faced a short-yardage, third-down situation – which saw the Cougars playing three defenders deep and keeping a single safety high -- Bridgewater turned Gibbs' defense upside down, throwing downfield and near the sideline.

"He knows where to go with the ball," Gibbs said. "You throw the ball outside the off man for a three-deep coverage, which he does."

Gibbs noticed facets of Bridgewater's game that require pro touchups. He at times checked down too often – likely staying within Louisville's prescribed system – didn't use a three-step drop from behind center and had a tendency to immediately bring the ball toward his ear when catching a snap from shotgun – a red blinking light that screams "pass" in the pros.

"This is something they'll change for him," Gibbs said. "In the NFL, you cannot catch from shotgun and hold the ball up."

The rough edges were offset by Bridgewater's overall precision and rarely seen but intriguing traits, including his ability to smoothly escape the pocket and sharply throw while scrambling.

"This kid, he can run, man. Make no mistake about it," Gibbs said. "He just doesn't do it very often."

By the time the room lights were flicked back on and Bortles' game tape was being cued up, Gibbs had translated four quarters of Bridgewater vs. the Cougars into four words.

"He's the whole package," Gibbs said.

Blake Bortles

Gibbs turned to Penn State – former home of new Texans coach Bill O'Brien – in the attempt to decipher Bortles.

On Sept. 14, Central Florida pulled off a surprising 34-31 victory against O'Brien's Nittany Lions in State College, Pa. Five games later, Bortles' Knights hosted the Cougars in Orlando, Fla. Gibbs borrowed a Penn State blitz to attack Bortles and the Cougars defensive coordinator entered a Nov. 9 matchup believing his gutsy defense could also surprise.

"I thought we could pick the ball off from Bortles a couple times," Gibbs said.

The Cougars did once and they sacked the 6-5, 232-pound Bortles twice, holding the Central Florida junior to 17-of-24 passing for 210 yards, with six rushes for -10 yards.

"I don't know that anybody can just knock this guy and say there's something that he can't do," Gibbs said. "But is he the athlete that Teddy is? Is he as accurate as Teddy is? Probably not."

When Bortles was on target, he was stronger than Bridgewater. And the primary pro evaluation that was missing from the Cougars' game tapes – the prospects' NFL ceilings – temporarily became evident when the larger, thicker Bortles reared back and unleashed a crossfield, downfield arrow that was perfectly placed and perfectly thrown.

"He does have a bigger windup than Teddy," Gibbs said. "But it is a freakin' great throw."

Like Bridgewater, Bortles ran a pro-style system featuring under-center calls, a quick three-step dropback, play-action passes and bootlegs. Yet Bortles did not check off or down as often, at times failed to recognize blitz packages and fell prey to Gibbs' third-down multiple defense, killing a potential first-quarter scoring drive that abruptly ended at the Cougars' 9-yard line.

On third-and-4, Gibbs employed a scheme that appeared to be a soft zone. Bortles thought he knew what the Cougars were running and threw a quick in route as a response. At the same time his receiver pulled up, Cougars defensive back Trevon Stewart sliced in, picking off the potential No. 1 pick and silencing the Knights' threat.

"Clearly, there's no question he knows the coverage, right? Why did he throw it right to us?" Gibbs said. "He has shown that he will do this every now and then. (Bridgewater), you never saw him do this."

But there were also Bortles' arm, size and stability, which increasingly stood out as the quarters wound down.

After rewatching video replays of two intriguing but still developing QBs the Texans have been evaluating for months, Gibbs jokingly re-emphasized the one thing he knew going into the film breakdowns: The former Texans coach is glad he's not making a decision that could alter the franchise's direction for the next decade.

"There's really nothing glaring about either one of the guys, which makes it that much harder for the Texans to make their pick," Gibbs said

Johnny Manziel

Thurmond has devoted more than 30 years of his life to college football. Rice's defensive coordinator has never seen anyone – on the field or on film – like Manziel.

Thurmond rolled two tapes to prove it.

The first, Thurmond turned to when he prepared for the Owls' 2013 season-opener: Texas A&M's 29-24 victory at Alabama on Nov. 10, 2012. The game that solidified the Cult of Manziel and helped make the Kerrville native the first freshman Heisman Trophy winner in history.

The second was Manziel's post-autograph controversy debut, via the Aggies' 52-31 home win against Rice on Aug. 31 at Kyle Field.

Both videos displayed an incredibly talented, highly unorthodox contemporary quarterback whose confidence, charisma and bravado continue to excite and confound NFL personnel. Like Bridgewater, Manziel quickly read defenses and was willing to check down to secondary receivers. Like Bortles, Manziel had the arm to nail crossing routes and didn't hesitate to throw a deep bomb. But there is no one like Manziel in the college or pro ranks, and his backyard, gunslinger style can make instant believers out of conventional coaches who grew up on single-wing tailbacks and true pocket passers.

"What this guy does is, this guy never proofreads his work. He turns his paper in right now," said Thurmond, whose coaching résumé features Oklahoma, the Cougars and the Crimson Tide. "He's not second guessing his reads. He's not saying, 'OK, am I sure I'm right?' He knows he's right. And that's how he plays. … He plays with amazing, amazing confidence."

He also ran a lot – more than any NFL quarterback would ever consider. Bridgewater regularly saw holes in the Cougars' line, yet consistently fired the ball to his nearest receiver, rather than tuck and sprint. Bortles ran 87 times apiece in 2012 and 2013, but is not regarded as a dangerous scrambler. Manziel rushed 19 times in a single game Oct. 12 at Ole Miss and recorded six attempts in one half against Rice.

"He's like a point guard in basketball that can create and he's playing quarterback," Thurmond said. "That's probably his greatest asset, is his ability to create plays."

Manziel made Bridgewater and Bortles look mundane. Against Alabama, the 5-11 ¾, 207-pound QB turned a near-sack into a bobbled ball that was recaptured, sprinted toward his left, squared his shoulders and fired a crossfield bullet that became a video game-like 10-yard touchdown and his signature Heisman moment.

"This kid's physical – he's an unbelievable fighter," Thurmond said. "He has that boxer's mentality about, 'Hey, you might knock me down. But I'm going to get up and I'm going to punch you again.' "

Thurmond sees pieces of Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton in Manziel, but Newton's size (6-5, 245) creates separation. The most direct comparison is Washington's Robert Griffin III, who blew out Thurmond's Owls in 2011, when RGIII was at Baylor.

Still, Manziel is his own monster. A fascinating but unpredictable quarterback who intrigues the Texans, hailed as everything from a consensus No. 1 pick to no better than a fourth-rounder.

On film, Bridgewater and Bortles appeared promising, but both reinforced the belief the 2014 draft doesn't feature an instant franchise-changer at quarterback. Manziel altered college football's culture at College Station. But a long-asked question still shadows him less than two months before selection day: How will Manziel's act translate in the pros?

"With this guy, I don't know that in any time in college anybody mastered that blueprint," Thurmond said. "Now, if you play him over a long period of time, who knows?"

Houston Chronicle

A lot of what this article does is reinforce what we already know. Bridgewater is the most ready and safest; Bortles has potential, but can't start away; and Manziel is a lightning rod who carries "nitroglycerin around."

One thing that stuck out to me is the fact that Bortles knew what coverage Rice was in, yet still tried to force the throw. I really want nothing to do with Bortles. I am tired of QBs who don't know what they are doing (Weeden, McCoy, Frye, etc.).

Another thing was that Bridgewater was using dummy audibles in college. I don't know if this is rare or not, but either way it is impressive. Bridgewater really reminds me of Matt Ryan; super smart, prepared, and coachable. But he doesn't have elite skills. You can definitely win with him, but he will never be an elite QB in the league on the level of Rodgers (or someone similar). I am fine with that.

(I am posting in all three threads about the QBs so it can contribute to the individual discussions of each QB.)

#857763 03/16/14 01:48 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Many mock drafts are now projecting Johnny Manziel to fall in the draft possibly as far as our #26 pick and even the 2nd round.

Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridewater will be our pick at #4 unless they are both off the board. If that was to happen should the Browns stick to the plan of selecting a QB at #4 and just take Manziel. Take a player like Watkins or Robinson at #4 and hope Manziel falls to #26. Or trade down from #4 pick up additional picks and select Manziel between #4 and #26?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If both Bortles & Teddy are gone and either Sammy or Clowney are sitting there at 4, I don't know how you justify passing either of them up to trade down for Manziel, unless you're getting a 2015 1st round pick and you're admittedly tanking the 2014 season to take a QB next year. JMHO

Also, depends on how far you would trade, because moving past 8 wouldn't guarantee he'd even be there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

unless you're getting a 2015 1st round pick and you're admittedly tanking the 2014 season to take a QB next year. JMHO

I can not see how not taking a QB high is tanking the season. We have Hoyer, and there are FA QBs available. Plus, some of the lower graded QBs could be had. With the moves made thus far, tanking is a foolish notion.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm saying trading down to a point where Manziel becomes a value pick would cost another team a 2015 1st. That move, IMHO, would smack of coveting a QB in next years draft, and would take the tanking of the season to get into position to take one. I'm not saying it's something we will do, or would even consider. Just like I doubt we will trade down to get Manziel. Just don't see it happening. Obviously, those enamored with Johnny Football will see it much differently.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Me personally, I wouldn't take Manziel at all unless it were in the second round or beyond... let alone trade down for him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ditto. I'd take Garoppolo before I'd draft Manziel.

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
+1

The only thing about Garoppolo I worry about is his small hands. Maybe a fetish but I always worry about QB with small hands.

#857770 03/21/14 04:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Merrill Hodge described 100% how I feel about Johnny Manziel. Dude will be a HUGE bust in my opinion.

E
Legend
Legend
E
bust??? as in Canton

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

bust??? as in Canton

I picked a good week to buy some hip waders.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

#857773 03/21/14 07:11 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
You don't worry about his propensity to force the ball into tight coverages? What about the fact that he played against inferior competition? Or, that he has to stop and reset when he has to scramble?

None of those things bother you?

Legend
Legend
I feel like level of competition is starting to become a non factor. Over the last 7 years, how many truly great QBs has the SEC produced? I'm saying 7 years because that's when they earned their reputation. The jury is still out on Stafford and Newton.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay. But then why is it okay for people to use that against Teddy?

Legend
Legend
I'm confused...

So if we can trade back 5-7 spots.. pick up a '15 1st... and still get Manziel...

That means we're ganna take a QB in '15??

But... we just took Manziel...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

I feel like level of competition is starting to become a non factor. Over the last 7 years, how many truly great QBs has the SEC produced? I'm saying 7 years because that's when they earned their reputation. The jury is still out on Stafford and Newton.

Disagree on that one; Stafford can sling it like nobodies business, but he's prone to mistakes because of the fact that he throws so often (having Calvin Johnson doesn't hurt either). Newton's gotten better as a passer, but he struggles sometimes in reading defenses; especially those that can take away his ability to run.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

if you are unwilling to count those 2, then how many truly great QBs have been drafted in the last 7 years?

Luck - on his way, sure. not quite there yet.
Ryan - ? I'd put him slightly ahead of Stafford/Cam's class but not "truly great"
Russell Wilson - ? I'd say to slow down that one for now. He is on a Brady-esque start, but lots of growing to do.

Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers were all drafted further back than 7 years. Let's give this thing some time to breath.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Manziel has just as much potential to succeed as Brees and Wilson did. Although I do see him dropping in the draft much like Brees did. It is going to be a big gamble to pull the trigger and draft him early IMO.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
L
Legend
Legend
L
I wouldn't be upset if we took Bridgewater, but I'd take Manziel and would be happy with drafting him at #4.

Johnny Football wins games, yeah they be short fellas, but guys like Brees, Flutie and Garcia win because they.just.know.how.to.win.games.

I know there's risk there, but life is risky.
Manziel will spark some excitement in this team and Cleveland.
If he busts as a player or leader, well, we've had plenty of QB disappointments, what's one more?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Johnny Manziel (Yet Again)

Link Copied to Clipboard