Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think either of those guys are sure-fire.

I have seen Matthews get beat repeatedly in one game.

Robinson doesn't have the feet to be a sure-fire prospect.

I also disagree w/you about Joe slipping this year. In fact, I think he had one of his finest years since he's been in the league.

All Pro
All Pro

Stories from the Future: Johnny Manziel Leads Cleveland Browns to Super Bowl L Victory

. Rejoice, Cleveland sports fans. Your long nightmare has finally come to an end.

Those now famous words spoken by Manziel two years ago proved to be prophetic last night, as the Browns defeated the New York Giants 31-27 to win the first Super Bowl championship in the franchise's history and Cleveland's first professional sports title in 52 years. Manziel, named the game's MVP, completed 31 of 40 pass attempts for 321 yards and a pair of touchdown passes. He also ran for 53 yards and a score.

How is it possible that we arrived at this point, to a place and a time where the Browns are Super Bowl champions? It all began back in September 2013 when rumors first started swirling that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and then team general manager Mike Lombardi were interested in the phenom known as Johnny Football. Those rumors continued even after first-year head coach Rob Chudzinski was fired following Cleveland's disappointing 4-12 campaign, and after Lombardi and then team CEO Joe Banner left the club in the middle of February 2014.

It was believed at that time that general manager Ray Farmer wasn't a fan of Manziel for whatever reasons. Whether Farmer eventually fell in love with Manziel or he felt that he had to appease Haslam may never be known, but what is known is that the Browns, one week before the 2014 NFL Draft, traded with the Houston Texans in order to move up and obtain the rights to the first overall pick.

A stroke of luck and a Houston demand ultimately benefited Cleveland more so than anybody could have guessed at the time. Houston, not enamored with the No. 26 pick of the '14 draft that the Browns acquired by controversially trading running back Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts the previous September, demanded that Cleveland trade pick No. 4 from '14 and the team's first rounders for '15 and '16.

The Browns acquiesced, and while Houston now owns the final pick of the first round in this year's upcoming draft, Cleveland used their second first-round pick two years ago to select wide receiver Allen Robinson out of Penn State. Robinson has, since his first game in the league, been the perfect two of a one-two punch that has featured Josh Gordon, regarded by many to be the best WR in the game today, as its star.

Both Robinson and Gordon caught TDs last night.

One could feel the magic in and around the Cleveland area right from the moment that Manziel held up his Browns jersey at Radio City Music Hall. Not all fans of the team were immediately sold on Manziel, but some of those individuals became instant believers the following morning after Manziel appeared on the ESPN Cleveland radio program The Really Big Show .

"I meant everything I said a few months back," Manziel told TRBS hosts Tony Rizzo and Aaron Goldhammer. "I know we're going to a Super Bowl and soon, and it starts this season with the playoffs. We'll see you in the playoffs this January, Cleveland."

Manziel went one-for-one in calling his shots, but it happened at the expense of a local guy who remains, to this day, a favorite among the Cleveland fan base. Career backup Brian Hoyer played well for the Browns in two games during the 2013 season before he tore his ACL that October. While Hoyer has made for a serviceable No. 2 since then, he never quite looked the same coming off of that injury the following summer.

Manziel, meanwhile, shined in each of his preseason appearances. He showed that he had learned how to change his game in order to thrive and survive in the NFL, playing more like Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson than like the retired Mike Vick. Manziel made smart decisions and, just as importantly, he made smart and accurate throws, turning the ball over only once in four preseason appearances. Head coach Mike Pettine made the obvious choice and named his rookie the starting quarterback nine days before the start of the season.

From there, the Johnny Cleveland era was upon us. The Browns won the season opener for the second time since returning to the league in 1999. Cleveland lost only once in division play. An AFC North title, an 11-5 record and, as Manziel had predicted, a trip to the playoffs was all deservedly earned.

Trouble came in the AFC Divisional Round. Manziel had his worst day to date as a pro, throwing two picks and completing only 11 of 30 passes as the Browns were downed by, of all teams, the Baltimore Ravens. The former Browns had again broken Cleveland hearts, and the most battered fan base in all of pro sports couldn't help but wonder if 2014 was too good to be true.

It wasn't.

Manziel seemed to only get better with every game, regardless of the result, and the Browns went 13-3 in 2015 and clinched home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Cleveland then eased to a 27-10 victory over the Miami Dolphins, setting up for an AFC Championship showdown with the Denver Broncos.

Yes, those Denver Broncos, the team that prevented the Browns from playing in several Super Bowl games back in the '80s. Manziel would have none of it when presented with his first shot to play on football's biggest stage, out-dueling Peyton Manning in what we now know will be the future Hall of Fame quarterback's final professional game and leading the Browns to a 27-17 victory.

It is, of course, unfair to only give Manziel credit for what was, just two offseasons ago, the laughingstock of the NFL becoming the final team standing. The Browns re-signing center Alex Mack and safety T.J. Ward two years ago was vital, as both have played massive roles in the team enjoying its current success. Joe Haden, who was inked to a long-term deal that same springtime, is now the best cornerback in the league, one who deserves to have a continent named after him because an island just isn't big enough.

The NFL is a quarterback-driven league, though, and thus it's Manziel who gets the criticism and the love, the headlines and the opening stories on SportsCenter. It was Manziel that TMZ waited for outside of Lola as the QB enjoyed his first dinner as a member of the Browns. It was Manziel who had editorials written about him in the Cleveland Plain Dealer after he partied maybe a little bit too much following the team's Bye week two seasons ago.

It was Manziel who was the first Cleveland player in history to kiss the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Last night's historic event wasn't the end of a tale. "The best," Manziel told reporters after the game, "is to come." He hasn't lied to you yet, Cleveland fans. Just imagine what the future could hold for your Browns.

Just imagine.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stories-fut...00504--nfl.html

GO BROWNS!
E
Legend
Legend
E
QB is on record as the toughest evaluated position in Football and also the toughest transition from college to NFL there is in a position ergo hard to evaluate.

Manziel - I really think he will drop, I'm hoping all the way to 26 Or we move up and get him from that slot. I am counting on the bias of the NFL. I would not mind us just getting him at #4 if Teddy is gone. But if he gets past the Vikings who expressed a big interest in him late December. He could drop all the way back.

Bortles, Carr, Garapolla are End of first beginning of the 2nd worthy. It all depends on a run or not. Last year they had Geno Smith in the top 10 picks but the NFL teams just weren't buying. I do think Teddy goes early n quick. Then it could benefit us if everyone drops. I think Ponder, Tannehill (not bad but not an overall #7 pick), Weeden and others have slapped some NFL teams into reality. Manziel if he was 6'2" would be the overall #1 pick. So I'm going on the obvious bias NFL GMs have on short QBs in the draft! Assuming Teddy goes early and we don't have a say in it. My hope is that JM drops due the bias and we pick him up near 26. Just my thoughts. I think he would be great for Cleveland and not at #4 you won't have the hounding of HE HAS TO PLAY CAUSE ITS #4. This way he can sit a while and learn n transition his game into the NFL

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
All Pro
All Pro
Well said, and I think Manziel is a "ticket booth QB" because he will put fannies in the seats, ownership loves that.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well said, and I think Manziel is a "ticket booth QB" because he will put fannies in the seats, ownership loves that.

Sometimes I wonder if they like that better than winning LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
If we trade our '15 and '16 first round picks to move up 3 spots... to draft Manziel...

I... I just don't even know what I'd do...

Heck, I wouldn't give that for anyone in this draft...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It's easier to constantly reinvent hype than it is to build lasting success, so it would be a sound business model. They don't need to ever be good, they just need to sell you the HOPE of being good, and the tickets will sell.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's easier to constantly reinvent hype than it is to build lasting success, so it would be a sound business model. They don't need to ever be good, they just need to sell you the HOPE of being good, and the tickets will sell.

That's why the franchise is worth a billion, Browns fans always have HOPE.

GO BROWNS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Manziel is probably the only player in this draft that is intriguing enough to make me purchase sunday ticket to watch the Browns. I will be honest, for the first time in almost 3 decades, I dont really care if I watch this team or not.

Legend
Legend
I've been a bit apathetic about the QB's this season, they all seem to be less than stellar for our needs. Now hearing that Manziel's pro day is going to bring out such football fans as former Baseball owner and US President, George Bush and Texas Governor Rick Perry, well how can you not pay attention?

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Houston are you listening?

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Here are five things NFL scouts will focus on during Johnny Manziel's pro day, which will take place at Texas A&M and be televised live by NFL Network on Thursday:

1. Footwork
Manziel mainly operated out of the shotgun in the Aggies' offense. At his pro day, he will take snaps from under center and scouts will get a chance to see his three-, five- and seven-step drops. I don't think this will be much of an issue for Manziel because he's spent a ton of time working on his drops since the end of the season. Once he reaches the top of his drop, scouts want to see Manziel drive off of his back foot and transfer his weight to his front side during his delivery. At times, he lifts his back foot instead of driving off it, and that takes away from both his velocity and accuracy.

2. Throwing with anticipation
The passing windows in the NFL are much smaller than those at the collegiate level. With that in mind, throwing with anticipation is crucial at the next level. This is an area that Manziel needs to show improvement. The spread offense at Texas A&M creates huge seams in the passing game, and Manziel was afforded the luxury of waiting for his receivers to come out of their break before throwing the ball. Scouts want to see him show more trust in his pass catchers and release the ball prior to the break point.

3. Driving the football
Manziel throws a beautiful deep ball. He puts just the right amount of air under the ball on deep posts and fades. There isn't any concern about his ability to push the ball vertically, but some scouts question his pure arm strength to drive the ball on the deep out and comeback routes. I've seen Manziel throw twice in person and I came away impressed by his arm strength. He'll have a big opportunity at his pro day to ease any concerns about his ability to make all of the necessary throws at the NFL level.

4. Movement inside the pocket
Nobody questions Manziel's ability to elude pass rushers and create plays. His highlight reel is littered with wild scrambles culminating in touchdown passes or runs. However, there aren't many examples on tape of Manziel sliding up in the pocket and resetting his feet to deliver the ball. This is an important aspect of playing quarterback at the next level. NFL defensive coordinators will focus their attention on boxing him in, and he needs to get more comfortable shuffling/sliding inside the pocket. There won't be a pass rush to contend with at his pro day, but Manziel will have an opportunity to display his movement skills inside the pocket.

5. Interaction with his teammates
Quarterback is a leadership position. Manziel received some criticism this past summer because he was spending so much time outside of College Station. Initially, some scouts were concerned that Manziel might've alienated his teammates with his offseason activity. However, after completing the background work on the Aggies' signal-caller, every scout I've talked to has said that Manziel's teammates love playing with him and also praised his leadership. Scouts will be paying attention at the pro day to see how Manziel interacts with his teammates. This is also a great opportunity for scouts to talk to more sources at the school to corroborate their information.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

I've been a bit apathetic about the QB's this season, they all seem to be less than stellar for our needs. Now hearing that Manziel's pro day is going to bring out such football fans as former Baseball owner and US President, George Bush and Texas Governor Rick Perry, well how can you not pay attention?

As I said before/, "fannies in the seats."

GO BROWNS!
N
Legend
Legend
N
for #5, I wonder if it will be brought up that Manziel and Evans skipped the A&M pro-day and are staging one of their own. you know, bringing less scouts to see the fringe Aggie players who are fighting to just be considered by the NFL. not exactly being a team player by having his own day there.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

for #5, I wonder if it will be brought up that Manziel and Evans skipped the A&M pro-day and are staging one of their own. you know, bringing less scouts to see the fringe Aggie players who are fighting to just be considered by the NFL. not exactly being a team player by having his own day there.

"every scout I've talked to has said that Manziel's teammates love playing with him and also praised his leadership."

GO BROWNS!
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

"every scout I've talked to has said that Manziel's teammates love playing with him and also praised his leadership."

and, you can see that in the Duke game among others. and, i'm guessing this personal pro-day is due to his agents. but, i'm also not of the mind that you just excuse things as he should be taking control.

it is simply a note and a minor one, but one i would expect to be brought up (and hasn't been from what I have seen).

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Quote:

Johnny has been very quiet lately for Johnny. I hope they have a camera on him draft day, that will be interesting.

He has been quiet.. Not sure why. Maybe a few of his friends, parents or agents have said,,, SHUT UP JOHNNY LOL

Anyway, very talented kid. A whole lotta fun to watch.. Again, I just don't know if his game translates to the pros... When it comes to size, it's a question mark but then Brees and Wilson probably had some of the same question marks and both have won SB's

Go figure.

He's never been loud...It is just that they have less access to him since he has left the campus..No college "friends" to take snap shots at parties, or camps to work where he is late getting to the field. Manziel isn't nearly an issue off the field as the media made him out to be months ago.

2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

I think he did his teammates a favor by not being there. It would have been all Johnny, all day. This put the spotlight on the other players that deserve their day to shine in front of scouts. To a less extent, Jake Matthews brought in the crowd which allowed others to have a spotlight. Johnny would have even sucked that light away from Matthews.

Legend
Legend
J/C

Johnny Football is getting WOWs! on his pro day. Interview going on right now nfl network

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
He killed it. I know he was throwing against air, but his arm strength should no longer be a question.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He killed it. I know he was throwing against air, but his arm strength should no longer be a question.

Shouldn't have been in the first place.

Take Johnny Football at 4 and don't look back.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's killing the interview also. Extremely talented kid.

– Jackie Robinson
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's a better fit for Houston given the weather, but we'll see.

C
Legend
Legend
C
What does the weather have to do with anything? Manziel's got as much arm strength as Bridgewater (or more) and Bortles (whose arm strength is overrated).

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Johnny Manziel wears helmets and pads during pro day workout. Curiously, they were black. Does he want to go to the Black Hole in Oakland?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's a good fit for any team in need of a franchise QB. I understand our FO people are not there. I only hope they really know what they just missed. To witness something like that live is so much more exciting and impressive then watching it on TV.

– Jackie Robinson
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Even as a non-supporter, those 50+ yard throws on the run from both directions were extremely, extremely impressive...

A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
Yes, I'm very surprised at watching Johnnys pro day. Shocked to say the least. I'm 64 years old and watched steve young and fran tarkenton play ball for years and he reminds me of both of them. He has a strong arm, down and outs were on a rope, good velocity on all 30 to 40 yard throws and on target and on deep throws it didn't take long to get there and they were on target leading the receiver. Two drops, one is on the receiver one on him, but only two passes where the receiver had to slow down for on the long ones, otherwise he was on target especially moving to his right which really surprised me. After watching Bortles and Bridgewaters pro day, I came away very impressed not only with the workout but with his interview. Maybe i'm wrong but a kid like this doesn't come along very often. Of course Tarkenton and a Young doesn't either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You mean he looked better than Joe Kapp ?

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
I want nothing to do w/ gambling on Manziel at #4 (or any of the other QBs). That said, didn't you guys in his corner read/hear a while ago that he doesn't want to be called Johnny Football anymore?

I liked that he wore the helmet & pads. Kinda adds to that "gamer" mystique he has going for him.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

He's a good fit for any team in need of a franchise QB. I understand our FO people are not there. I only hope they really know what they just missed. To witness something like that live is so much more exciting and impressive then watching it on TV.

We have a private workout set up with him.

Johnny Manziel at Pro Day: “I can make any throw”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT

Former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel threw the ball well at his Pro Day workout today, and he said afterward that he believes he proved he can make every throw an NFL quarterback needs to make.

“I can make any throw on the field and hopefully compete with anybody,” Manziel said on NFL Network.

Manziel did his Pro Day work in a helmet and shoulder pads, a rare choice that may have had something to do with the fact that Nike has just unveiled a new line of Manziel Pro Day apparel. But Manziel said the only business he’s thinking about is playing quarterback, and he hopes NFL coaches know that about him.

“I just wanted these guys to know that my focus is football. This is my life, this is what I want to do, and I’ve never been more dedicated or more committed in my entire life. I understand the challenge,” Manziel said.

Manziel isn’t the prototypical NFL pocket passer, but some NFL team is likely convinced that he can make every throw, and in May he’s likely to be a first-round draft pick, anointed some team’s franchise quarterback.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm more intrigued by the fact they are saying his footwork was improved. I already did my break down of Manziel, I knew he could make NFL throws in January.

Legend
Legend
Wished I'd have seen it.. sounds like he had a good day...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here's a nightmare scenario for you.

Haslam fires Banner and Lombardi who desperately wanted Manziel.

Farmer takes Bortles or Watkins and Manziel becomes a superstar.

Cleveland has a meltdown.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Haslam fires Banner and Lombardi who desperately wanted [Carr].

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Even as a non-supporter, those 50+ yard throws on the run from both directions were extremely, extremely impressive...

Yeah, he was making them look really easy too.

All Pro
All Pro
Hold your fingers 3 inches apart.

Do you think it really matters if Manziel was that much taller--- with his arm?
What the heck the guy can dunk a basketball.

That being said, I think he may be gone at 4.

GO BROWNS!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I've wanted him from the beginning of the draft talk this year, but if we don't take him I want Sammy. If we do take Johnny football, I think he will be a very good QB for a long time.

My biggest question is Hoyer. If Hoyer is our future we should get the best supporting cast we can get. If Hoyer is not the future then Maziel is a no brainer at #4. I SO hope Bridgewater is gone before we pick... lol I would hate to see us take him. I just don't see him as the answer... I might be wrong but it's JMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

My biggest question is Hoyer. If Hoyer is our future we should get the best supporting cast we can get.

How can anyone, including this FO and coaching staff say that Hoyer is the answer based on two very average at best NFL starts? How silly would it be to stake your future on that if you feel you have a reasonable chance at answering the franchise QB position in the draft?

While we disagree on who that answer is, the question is no less valid.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

My biggest question is Hoyer. If Hoyer is our future we should get the best supporting cast we can get.

How can anyone, including this FO and coaching staff say that Hoyer is the answer based on two very average at best NFL starts? How silly would it be to stake your future on that if you feel you have a reasonable chance at answering the franchise QB position in the draft?

While we disagree on who that answer is, the question is no less valid.

Because an average NFL start with the Browns makes the fans think Superstar.

GO BROWNS!
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Johnny Manziel (Yet Again)

Link Copied to Clipboard