Next Thread
Print Thread
#860416 03/10/14 05:00 PM
B
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
B
With free agency starting tomorrow I figured I'd make up a mock offseason. What do you hope happens with free agency and the draft?

Resign: Alex Mack

Sign:
Rex Grossman-WAS-QB
Toby Gerhart-MIN-RB
Greg Jones-HOU-FB
Lance Moore-NO-WR
Brandon Myers-NYG-TE
David Joseph-TB-OG
Darly Smith-BAL-ILB
Arthur Moats-BUF-ILB
Brandon Browner-SEA-CB (sign a 1 year huge incentive type of deal he’s a great player but is a suspension risk which I think will make people less likely to go after him)
Donte Whitner-SF-S
Jarius Byrd-BUF-S

Round 1 Pick 4: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (A-)
Round 1 Pick 26: C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 3: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 7: Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson (B)
Round 3 Pick 19: Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington (A)
Round 4 Pick 6: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas (A)
Round 4 Pick 27: Andre Williams, RB, Boston College (B-)
Round 5 Pick 5: Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State (B+)
Round 6 Pick 4: Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon (A-)
Round 7 Pick 3: Kasim Edebali, OLB, Boston College (C+)

QB: Johnny Manziel, Brian Hoyer, Rex Grossman (3)
RB: Toby Gerhart, Bishop Sankey, Andre Williams, Dion Lewis (4)
FB: Greg Jones (1)
WR: Josh Gordon, Brandin Cooks, Martivias Bryant, Lance Moore, Travis Benjamin, Greg Little (6)
TE: Jordan Cameron, Brandon Myers, Gary Barnidge, (3)
OL: Joe Thomas, John Greco, Alex Mack, David Joseph, Mitchell Schwartz, Travis Swanson, Jason Pinkston, Chris Faulk, (8)
DL: Desmond Bryant, Phil Taylor, Ahtyba Rubin, Billy Winn, John Hughes, Ishmaa'ily Kitchen, Armonty Bryant (7)
LB: Paul Kruger, CJ Mosley, Daryl Smith, Jabaal Sheard, Barkevious Mingo, Christian Jones, Quintin Groves, Arthur Moats, Kasim Edebali (8)
CB: Joe Haden, Brandon Browner, Buster Skrine, Leon McFadden, Terrance Mitchell (5)
S: Jarius Byrd, Donte Whitner, Tashaun Gipson, Johnson Bademosi (4)
K: Billy Cundiff (1)
P: Spencer Lanning (1)
LS: Christian Yount (1)

Browns26 #860417 03/10/14 05:10 PM
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
why would you want to bring in browner. he might have a bad influence on Gordon. wouldn't be a smart move.

Browns26 #860418 03/10/14 05:15 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Sign:
Rex Grossman-WAS-QB
Toby Gerhart-MIN-RB
Greg Jones-HOU-FB
Lance Moore-NO-WR
Brandon Myers-NYG-TE
David Joseph-TB-OG
Darly Smith-BAL-ILB
Arthur Moats-BUF-ILB
Brandon Browner-SEA-CB (sign a 1 year huge incentive type of deal he’s a great player but is a suspension risk which I think will make people less likely to go after him)
Donte Whitner-SF-S
Jarius Byrd-BUF-S

I know we have a lot of cap room, but this is a little ridiculous. When was the last time a team signed nine starters in free agency?

cfrs15 #860419 03/10/14 05:34 PM
B
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
B
I see 5 starters in the bunch (Byrd, Whitner, Browner, Smith and Joseph). Jones would start too but he is a FB so I don't know how much that counts, any FB we would sign would start. I know I listed Gerhart as starter but he is more of a compete to start not a guarantee to start type of guy.

Good call about Browner lol. He shouldn't be around Gordon

Browns26 #860420 03/10/14 05:45 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
FREE AGENCY:

RB: Sproles and Ben Tate
WR: Golden Tate
LB: Worilds (take him or make PIT pay him)
OG: Geoff Scwartz if he's cheap,

DRAFT
1. Best QB available, Bridgewater
1. Darqueeze Dennard, CB
2. Xavier Su'a-Filo G/T
3. Christian Jones ILB FSU
3. AJ McCarron QB (yep, if he falls I take him and Teddy)
4.. CJ Fiedorwicz TE Iowa -traditional TE, blocker-
the rest...BPA

Keep: Mack, Ward and Lava. I'd shop Greg Little (Philly?) but give him 1 more year if no takers.

Browns26 #860421 03/10/14 05:49 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Sign:
Alex Mack, C (5yr~$7m/yr)
Geoff Schwartz, OG (5yr~$7m/yr)
Arthur Moats, ILB (2 yr~$3m/yr)
Jarius Byrd, S (4 yr~$8m/yr)
Brandon Spikes, ILB (2yr~$3m/yr)
Andre Roberts, WR (4 yr~$4m/yr)
Malcolm Jenkins, S (4 yr~$4m/yr)

Draft (assuming no trades)
1a: Sammy Watkins, WR
1b: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG
2: Kyle Fuller, CB
3a: AJ McCarron, QB
3b: Shayne Skov, ILB
4a: Daniel McCullers, NT
4b: Jerick McKinnon, RB
5 Josh Mauro, DE
6 Cody Latimer, WR
7 Max Bullough, ILB

cfrs15 #860422 03/10/14 05:49 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Re-sign Alex Mack

Sign Eric Decker WR to replace Greg Little as #2 WR
Sign Julien Edelman WR replace Devone Bess as slot WR
Sign Donte Whtner S to replace Ward as SS
Sign Geoffery Schwartz OG to replace Shawn Lauvoa
Sign Vonta Leach FB
Sign Rex Grossman to be 3rd string QB to school drafted rokie QB
Sign Matt Schaub to be starting QB until drafted rookie QB is ready

Trade Greg Little to Detriot for 5th round pick
Trade Brian Hoyer to Texans for 4th round pick

#4 - Draft Blake Bortles for future franchis QB
#26 Draft Kyle Fuller CB to play opposit Joe Haden
2nd - Draft Carlos Hyde to be featured back
3rd A - Draft Christain Jones ILB
3rd B - Draft Shayne Skov ILB
4th A - Draft TY Zimmerman S
4tf B - CJ Fiedorowicz TE
4th C - Sentral Henderson T
5th A - Chrsi Davis CB
5th B - Jeremy Hill RB

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Schaub isn't available, yet...

C
Legend
Legend
C
What is the appeal of Schaub? That he played in Shanahan's offense previously? Dude was a hot mess last year.

cfrs15 #860425 03/10/14 06:33 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

What is the appeal of Schaub? That he played in Shanahan's offense previously? Dude was a hot mess last year.

Not sticking up for Schaub as I'd personally really would rather have Grossman - but one could make a point that the entire organization there was a hot mess.

Dawg_LB #860426 03/10/14 06:34 PM
Legend
Legend
jc.

not trying to get flamed here...but i wouldn't mind if they brought in vick.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #860427 03/10/14 06:46 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Vick would be interesting... but at what price and, ( maybe even a bigger issue), would he be a good mentor for a young QB?

Or do you want Vick instead of a qb this year?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Swish #860428 03/10/14 06:49 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not a big Vick fan here... when he played, he played so bad. Inaccurate. We already have inaccurate qbs on this roster and for that reason alone, I would pass...

With that said, I'd take Vick over Jason and Weeden (and Tanney) any day of the week if it weren't heavy on the requirements needed to bring him here. Definitely...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Vick would be interesting... but at what price and, ( maybe even a bigger issue), would he be a good mentor for a young QB?

Or do you want Vick instead of a qb this year?

definitely wanna get a QB with the 4th pick hopefully, but honestly, i think having Hoyer and Vick compete to start the season would be good.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg_LB #860430 03/10/14 06:57 PM
Legend
Legend
i understand.

i guess, i really wanna get rid of weeden. i think this OL would be the best Vick would ever be behind in his career, not that it might matter because of his play style. but he does have a cannon and decent instincts.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #860431 03/10/14 07:01 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
He's a leftie...do you trust Schwartz to be the blindside tackle? And Thomas becomes a pretty expensive frontside tackle. Not that this is the deciding factor to bring in a QB, but one to consider.

clwb419 #860432 03/10/14 07:09 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Keep Mack, match anything up to 9mil/season

S
FA:
Byrd or Ward for 8mil/season over 4 years.
Draft:
Please don't waste a pick after faling to keep your own AllPro. That'd be the offseason equivalent of a fumble for a safety.

RG
FA: S.Smith 3years, 7.5mil...also, offer Asamoah 4 years at 5-6mil and see if he accepts, if not go with Greco/Pinkston/draft pick at LG
Draft:
LG/C Steen in the 3rd/4th

RB
FA:
Offer Jennings an incentive laden contract: 3years, 6mil that can get up to 9-10mil. Offer Starks 3years, 4-5mil. Offer Moreno and Tate 3-4mil per season max. One of those 4 will bite.
Draft:
Depending on who signs, either draft Hyde at 35 or Sims or White in 3rd/4th.

WR
FA:
Offer James Jones 3years at 4mil. Offer Edelman 4 years at 3-4mil. If both don't bite (very likely they'll get more somewhere) offer A.Roberts incentive laden 4year 8-10mil deal. Last FA target Lance Moore: 3years at 2.5mil/season
Draft:
Pick one of Lee, Beckham or Matthews at 26 if Jones doesn't sign. Draft one of them even if one of the other 3 sign.

CB
FA:
Offer T.Brown 4years at 5-6mil. Offer Munnerlyn 4years at 4-5mil. Offer J.Greer 2years at 1.5-2mil. Offer Ghee 3years at 1-1.25mil
Draft: If Brown or Munnerlyn sign, don't draft a CB in top 3 rounds. Consider EJ Gaines or R.Reynolds in the 4th if available. If only Greer/Ghee sign, consider Fuller at 35. If no CB is signed, then draft Fuller at 35 AND either EJ Gaines or R.Reynolds in the 4th. Fall back pick Aikens in 5th/6th

ILB
FA:
Offer A.Jordan 3years at 2.5-3mil. Offer Bishop incentiv laden 3years 1mil base up to 3mil/season based on health and production.
Draft:
Regardless of FA, draft one of Skov/Bullough and one of Kirksey/C.Jones in 3rd to 5th range

Other Draft additions:
- draft Bridgewater or Bortles at 4 in that order
- strongly consider about QB Murray if he's there in the 4th
- draft DE Urban with 4b or 5th if there

Draft:
1 QB Bridgewater/Bortles
1a WR Lee/Beckham/Matthews
2 CB Fuller
3a ILB Kirksey/Skov
3b LG/C Steen or ILB/RB
4a RB Sims/White or CB Gaines
4b ILB Bullough/Skov or RB
5 DE Urban or C Linsley if Mack only signs tender
6 CB Aikens or ILB P.Brown if Gaines in 4th
7 FB

Even if we get all of my most expensive target, we'd spend well under 30mil of the 50mil. Enough for the draft class and roll over, but also covering the 89%.
Just do it, it ain't that hard, really.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Remember that the 89% is 4 years rolling, so if we've been way under in the past, we'll need to make up for it...

I like your thinking, not too dis-similar to mine. I had some of the guys you had in my mind when I wrote that, just added my top preferences as FA and draft...

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
damn that was well thought out you insightful son of a gun

I'm not really happy with the FA talent available for WR #2 so I'd rather draft one. But seriously, Little needs to go pronto.

Browns26 #860435 03/10/14 09:17 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Re-sign Mack then Ward

Free Agency: ILB Karlos Dansby, RB Toby Gerhradt, Guard and FB

Draft:1a)WR Sammy Watkins
1b)RB Carlos Hyde
2)QB Tahj Boyd
3-5)ILB,OL,DB

Kingcob #860436 03/10/14 09:58 PM
H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
Cut
Weeden
Campbell

Sign
Shawn Hill
Julian Edelman
Vontae Davis or if he asks too much Captain Munnerlyn
Jarius Byrd

Re-Sign
Mack

Draft
1A. Watkins WR
1B. C. J. Mosley ILB Bama
2. Tre Mason RB Auburn
3A, David Yankey G Stanford
3B. Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois

I don't know enough to comment on the later rounds.

Alternate version.
Don't sign Hill
Draft Bortles at #4

Browns26 #860437 03/10/14 10:50 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Win the lottery.
Buy house on coast near Catawba / east of Sandusky along the causeway, and a nice cottage on South Bass Island.
Buy season tickets to Browns.

1JohnnyG #860438 03/11/14 04:19 AM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
On the eve of the free agency my dream acquisitions would be to sign:

1) Donte Whitner: There is a lot rumors about the Browns going after him and he will probably be cheaper than Ward or Byrd. Money is important

2) Sign or trade for Darrelle Revis (The Steelers 3rd would be the absolute highest I would go): Revis has played for Pettine and unlike Cromatrie didn't almost come to blows with him. In fact, some of Revis's best years were with Pettine. Revis would knock Skrine to covering the 3rd WR option. Additionally, the money saved by signing Whitner would be applied to Revis.

3) Sign Julian Edelman: He would provide us with the slot presence, leadership, and catching ability that Bess was supposed to. Probably would cost about the same.

4) Sign Rex Grossman: I love Rex Grossman. He knows the offense and could be a mentor to a 1st round QB and I would buy his jersey. Unleash the dragon, bring the sex cannon to NE Ohio.

If the Browns could manage those three FAs I would be pretty happy with whatever else they did. I expect them to bring in a zone-blocking Guard, maybe a RB if the price is right, and ILB.

Draft:
1st Round:
4 Johnny Manziel: I think he will be the only 1st round QB at 4 other than Derek Carr who I want no part of. I think the draft goes:
1) Blake Bortles
2) Sammy Watkins if the Rams can't trade or Clowney if they can
3) Teddy Bridgewater

It comes down to either you like this guy or you don't. I like him and think he would be excellent in a Shannahan offense (move the pocket, roll outs...etc) think waht Shannahan did to the Browns but instead of Kirk Cousins it would be Manziel. I hope that the Carr stuff is a smokescreen.
26: CJ Mosely : I think he drops a little and would at least provide the Browns with 1 excellent ILB prospect

2nd round:
M. Lee, K. Bejamin, B. Cooks..etc: Basically whichever, stud receiver doesn't get taken in the first round. The WR class is so strong I think a 1st round WR will be available at our 2nd round pick;

3rd round:
Tre Mason or Carlos Hyde: I think one of these guys drops. Mason I think would be the better zone RB, but it sure would be fun to see Hyde running over Steelers.

I expect them to draft another WR, Guard and linebacker at some point. After that I don't care

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Browns26 #860439 03/11/14 05:34 AM
Legend
Legend
Just a hunch: the Browns will sign Dexter McCluster later today. He was drafted to KC with Farmer involved. He is a FA who reportedly will not sign back with the Chiefs ... AND he just started following the Browns on Twitter (the only team he follows other than the Chiefs).

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good catch. I really liked McCluster out of College and we could do worse for the hybrid RB/slot WR role. He's had an AVG NFL career so far, but was stuck behind Charles and Bowe in a conservative Offense. He still has upside left, if used properly.

That said, I hope we don't go more than 3-4years at 2-5-3.5mil/year

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, this was mentioned on 92.3 The Fan this morning (the twitter following thing). It did seem a bit odd he'd be following Cleveland.

IF this is true, does it have any bearing on Dion Lewis' role or status with the team? I kinds view Lewis job similar to what Dexter would do...

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Dion Lewis will have to fight hard to be on ANY roster next September. He's a bonus camp body, who has to show himself to be worthy of a backup RB role, not someone who should be counted on considering his injury history and lack of NFL experience.

Let him fight it out with Baker, Obi and some decent UDFA rooks for that 3rd RB spot...that'll be hard enough for him

#gmstrong

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mock Offseason

Link Copied to Clipboard