Next Thread
Print Thread
#860828 03/11/14 10:17 AM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Have an IIS question thats driving me nuts, figured some of my fellow techies might help. Anyone good with iis 7?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Have an IIS question thats driving me nuts, figured some of my fellow techies might help. Anyone good with iis 7?

Throw it out here to the masses and see what we come up with.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Legend
Legend
I suppose it depends upon the definition of "good", but I know my way around it a fair bit.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
ok here goes, I have 2008 server running iis7.5 in a DMZ, I have a netware server on my network that i've created a CIFS share on. I created a VD on IIS to unc to that CIFS share. I can test the connection and it passes, i can unc from that 2008 machine right to it no problem, but when I try to browse that VD i get a 404 error.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

I've done this before with no issues...not sure what I could be missing. I don't think i need pass-through for this to work. Could directory browsing need to be enabled?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
That could be your issue if your VD has default documents specified and those documents are not in the directory (hence the 404-Not Found error if it's looking for index.htm or default.asp or something). I would turn on directory browsing since it sounds like you are using it as a share.

Original Dawg Talkers Pick'ems Champion

Dawg Talk Member Since: 08/24/01
Legend
Legend
Make sure that the account that IIS is running under has permissions to that share.

Most likely, by default it is running under a local machine account (IUSR_xxxx) and has no permissions to anything on other machines in your domain/forest.

Also, yes, you may need to enable Directory Browsing. It is off by default in IIS7+ -- you should ONLY have to do this if you are not loading a default document and just want to see if you can read that share's contents via IIS. If you are attempting to load a specific file from that share, directory browsing is not the issue and can (should) remain disabled.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Yeah not using a specific file, its a directory of images and documents. I don't have a web.config or any default doc specified. So it sounds like directory browsing might be what i'm missing.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Any IIS gurus?

Link Copied to Clipboard