Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
I like it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Gordon, Edelman, and Cameron would be a fantastic start to a receiving corps. (obviously, including the TE) Little is a fantastic blocker, and might fit into that group well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm not sold on him, or any receiver who plays with Brady, Brees or Manning.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Have you watched him play at all? He was legit as hell and the only reliable target in New England for at least half the year.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah and he's been injured just about every season but last season.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'd happily take Edelman!

Work harder Hoyer in getting him here. He'll after all, make you look good on game day relieve some attention/pressure off Josh too. Defenses can't double team EVERYONE!

Plus, this would surely set Little to the deep end of the depth chart, where be belongs... #3 or beyond.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

That doesn't make sense to me. Why?

Sure, those guys hit receivers. That proves Edleman can catch catchable passes and also proves he is able to get open to catch them.

I can't knock on the receiver if the QB doesn't target him or throw balls that can be caught.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

That could be troubling. I wsn't really aware.

What type of injuries? Football contact injuries? I don't worry about those all that much. Those can happen and one doesn't predict the next. A broken wrist this year doesn't predict more broken bones next season.

I worry about what I call chronic injuries, most notably a guy who seems to pull a hamstring about every 2nd month. I'd stay away from that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That could be troubling. I wsn't really aware.

What type of injuries? Football contact injuries? I don't worry about those all that much. Those can happen and one doesn't predict the next. A broken wrist this year doesn't predict more broken bones next season.

I worry about what I call chronic injuries, most notably a guy who seems to pull a hamstring about every 2nd month. I'd stay away from that.

http://www.kffl.com/player/21170/nfl/injury_history/julian-edelman

All sorts of inujries, foot, arm, back, wrist, concussions....

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't make sense to me. Why?

Sure, those guys hit receivers. That proves Edleman can catch catchable passes and also proves he is able to get open to catch them.

I can't knock on the receiver if the QB doesn't target him or throw balls that can be caught.

Because I've only seen two receivers, off the top of my head, to be able to be successful after leaving one of those QB's. Vjax who left Brees for god-awful QB's and Wes Welker who got Manning.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://twitter.com/search?q=edelman%20cleveland%20browns&src=typd&f=realtime

Nate Ulrich ‏@NateUlrichABJ 1h
https://twitter.com/search?q=edelman%20cleveland%20browns&src=typd&f=realtime
Report: #Browns making 'strong push' to sign #Patriots free-agent WR Julian Edelman, a Kent State product: http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...delman-1.472876

lots of people saying the deal could be done today

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
WECT News ‏@wectnews 3m

The Carolina Panthers have officially released wide receiver Steve Smith from the team. http://buff.ly/1gnqCUr pic.twitter.com/RLpOfWlqqw

M
Legend
Legend
M
My concern with Edelman is that he hadn't done anything worthwhile until last year. 1,056 of his 1,700 career yards came last season...and he's been in the league since 2009. Was it his breakout season or was it because NE had no one else to throw to w/ Gronk and Amendola out with injuries and Hernandez incarcerated? I don't know the answer to that.

I won't be upset if we sign him or anything like that but the contract would be interesting to see. How much would we fork out for a guy who really had one good year because he was the only legit WR option with a first ballot HOF QB throwing to him?

I'd hate for the FO to be panicking right now because they might not get Hawkins and rush to secure this guy by overpaying him....but then again, overpaying and free agency are synonymous with each other.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If we didn't already have Gordon, then you would definitely be right.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
It's funny ...... Hoyer is pushing for us to sign Edelman ..... and Whitner is pushing for us to sign Ginn.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
sproles to Eagles.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...-131701097.html

That was it. The Eagles had signed receivers Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin, their two biggest unknowns on offense heading into the offseason, and they now could focus on the other side of the ball up through May.

Uh, yeah, Chip Kelly had (at least) one more trick up his sleeve on his burgeoning offense.

On Thursday, the New Orleans Saints traded running back Darren Sproles to the Eagles, according to various media reports. The Saints had considered cutting Sproles but wisely held onto him once it was clear there was a vibrant trade market for his services.

The Eagles traded a fifth-round pick to the Saints, one they had received for Isaac Sopoaga last season.

[Be sure to check out Shutdown Corner's NFL free-agent rankings. Click here for the list of offensive players, and click here for the list of defensive and special teams players]

One of the teams pursuing Sproles and that appeared to be in on him until the final moments was the Redskins, who lost out to a division rival.

On the surface, you might think, "Why Philly?" But Sproles adds an obvious mismatch piece to an offense full of them. LeSean McCoy might be a younger, quicker version of Sproles, but McCoy also needs a breather here and here. He played an extremely high total of 813 snaps last season, more than 50 per game, and totaled career-highs for carries (314) and touches (366) en route to 2,146 total yards from scrimmage.

Even as he turns 26 years old this summer, McCoy's workload has been pretty high and he's closing in on 1,500 touches for his career.

Sproles is a great option on screens, inside draws and even fake screens. His short-area burst still manages to surprise teams at times, even as he's slowing down at age 31. He carried the ball only 53 times a season ago for the Saints, which run a similarly paced offense as the Eagles, but he had 71 receptions. Sproles also returns punts and kickoffs, although his production dropped off in both areas precipitously last season. He's best as a breather guy at both spots now.

So even though this is a part-time player we're talking about, Sproles is a perfect fit in Philly. Kelly even can play Sproles and McCoy on the field together, with defenses having to choose which one to respect the most. Sproles is still good for a shot of life and is excellent in the up-tempo offense. He also pass blocks and runs excellent routes.

The Eagles struck on a great, little addition on offense. Now, about that defense ... there's still work to be done, even with Sproles' former teammate, safety Malcolm Jenkins, coming on board.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

WECT News ‏@wectnews 3m

The Carolina Panthers have officially released wide receiver Steve Smith from the team. http://buff.ly/1gnqCUr pic.twitter.com/RLpOfWlqqw

The guys on Highly Questionable were laughing over who in the Panthers organization ended up calling Steve to let him know he was fired. The GM told the coach, the coach told the offensive coordinator, the offensive coordinator told the LBers coach, the LBers coach got the S&C coach, the S&C coach found a locker room towel guy, the locker room towel guy asked the parking lot sweeper, etc.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
jc

Torn an Edelman.

He's absolutely useless outside, pure slot guy coming off his "career" season and oft-injured.

Hmm...deal should reflect that somehow. Since G.Tate got 6mil per and Roberts/McCluster 4mil per. Edelman should be around 5mil/season with ~10mil guaranteed.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Legend
Legend
D
Smith good WR but he has a mouth... I wouldn't wanna tell him he's fired. I'd send him a text or email lmao. Inform his agent and let his agent take the brunt of that. Although probably not much backlash as Steve likely knew he was going to get axed...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm still hoping for Hawkins.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
WR money has been less than I expected on the "big" guys like Decker and Tate.

In hindsight, we should have been players for Tate since he offer much needed WR2 and slot versatilty. In our situation, that's VERY valuable

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hawkins...Me too, fat lady did not sing.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Hmm...deal should reflect that somehow. Since G.Tate got 6mil per and Roberts/McCluster 4mil per. Edelman should be around 5mil/season with ~10mil guaranteed.

But to your point, Edelman should only be used in the slot. I think $10M may be a bit high but what was the guaranteed on Roberts and McCluster...that's all that matters, really.

$8M guaranteed for Roberts.
$ 4.5M guaranteed for McCluster and his production is similar to Edelman's at least in terms of yards...consistent production for his backup role.

I think Edelman may be more around the 7-8M guaranteed range. Maybe we need to shoot for $10M to separate ourselves from NE's offer....but man that seems steep for a guy with one year of worthy production who could be lower on the progressions hierarchy list with Gordon, Cameron, and #2WR (whoever that is)

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I think Edelman may be more around the 7-8M guaranteed range. Maybe we need to shoot for $10M to separate ourselves from NE's offer....but man that seems steep for a guy with one year of worthy production who could be lower on the progressions hierarchy list with Gordon, Cameron, and #2WR (whoever that is)

I like Edelman, but I'm not sure I like him at anything above 8mil if you wanna talk guaranteed $. At the point of that kind of money, Josh Cooper's name pops up into my head instead of Edelman.

Legend
Legend
I don't think very much of Edelman at all.

What role are they thinking of for him.. the #2??
I don't think he'd fit that very well at all.

I'm assuing that we're rolling with Greg Little as the hopeful incumbent at #2, and Edelman/Haskins/InsertNameHere will compete for slot duty?

If the QB(s) we might want are gone at #4, I'd be quite ok with taking Evans.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wasn't ok with Edlemen until you said Little hopeful as #2.

Sign him up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
sounds like it could really happen

Will Gellman ‏@Will_Gellman 5m

Cleveland Browns Could Be Close To Signing WR Julian Edelman http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/03/13...eveland-browns/

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I don't think very much of Edelman at all.

What role are they thinking of for him.. the #2??
I don't think he'd fit that very well at all.

I think he has to be viewed as a slot receiver and our #2 will be drafted whether it be at #4, 26 or the Browns 2nd rounder. This draft is extremely deep at WR so the Browns should be able to draft Watkins, Evans, Robinson, Lee, Benjamin, Beckham...etc.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I'm still hoping for Hawkins.

Looks like you might get your wish...the way the offer was structured, it looks like the Bengals may not match any longer...

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
James Harrison is available.....

web page

James Harrison released by Cincinnati Bengals

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: March 13, 2014 at 01:39 p.m.
Updated: March 13, 2014 at 02:06 p.m.

James Harrison's time in Cincinnati apparently is up after only one season.

Harrison said goodbye to Bengals fans on Twitter on Thursday, and the team announced his release shortly afterward.

Many thanks to all the @Bengals fans for your support over the last year - I had a great time in Cincinnati.
— James Harrison (@jharrison9292) March 13, 2014

It's a surprising move. Harrison was mostly effective in a part-time role for the Bengals, but Marvin Lewis apparently wanted more out of him. It's also possible they felt that his prickly off-field personality wasn't worth managing for another season.

It wouldn't be a total shock if Harrison returned to Pittsburgh, assuming he's come to terms with his role as a backup. It also wouldn't be a shock if Harrison's career is over at 36-years-old. The 2008 Defensive Player of the Year has had a great run after bouncing around and being released multiple times early in his career.

And the next head coach is ......
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

James Harrison is terrible

fixed it for you

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
#Patriots Pro Bowl DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If we add Edelman, Hawkins, and Tate this off-season, then that would be an incredibly successful haul. That would go a long way towards filling some of the major holes we had on offense.

I suspect that we will try to add a veteran OL, but that might even be after the draft. (Depending on what happens with Mack)

I like the 2 major moves we made on defense, and see both as upgrades. I hope that we can find an upper level CB somewhere, maybe not a Revis, obviously, but a useful 3rd CB would be nice. I don't know who is left at ILB ...... but maybe we can find a 2nd starter prior to the draft? (though I suspect that our 2nd starter will come from the draft)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A strong WR corps and good competition for the open spots may be exactly what Little needs to realize with hard work he can be quite good.

It's all on paper but get these guys and an RB or two and this team will compete.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

James Harrison is terrible

fixed it for you

I LOL'd.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
Wilfork won't last on the open market but for maybe a few hours lol. What a huge loss to NE's D if it happens.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Moats from buffalo for ILB ?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
N
Legend
Legend
N

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Here's one for the rumor mill fire:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...-222207162.html

Already de-bunked. Or at the very least denied.

Quote:

It was the screenshot talked about 'round Northeast Ohio -- except there's about a 98 percent chance it wasn't a big deal at all.

As new Browns general manager Ray Farmer entered the media center to introduce the team's new free agents on Wednesday afternoon, someone got a picture. That picture showed a white board in the background with names of free agents and their 2013 teams, and it started making its online rounds as a list of the team's potential free agent targets.

Twitter freaked out. "THE BROWNS REVEALED THEIR FREE AGENT LIST!"

This is the state of the Cleveland Browns. Anything's possible. Everything is believable.

The truth is this: Farmer entered the press conference room through the team's non-football video edit suite. That's the room where team website and in-house television shows, segments and interviews are produced. Names on that white board were simply names of potential free agents of interest so that those people who make the videos -- read: not the people who make the football decisions -- could be prepared with highlights if any of those players signed with the Browns.

As someone who worked in that building and in that realm for nearly a decade, I can say with certainty that news involving free-agent signings or even just interest often trickles outside the building before it filters downstairs or around it. The "war room" and any other room where meetings would be held or information would be stored is upstairs, safe and secured from the plebeians.

Browns add free agents Dansby, Whitner and Trufant

The Cleveland Browns on Wednesday signed free agents, linebacker Karlos Dansby, and defensive backs Donte Whitner and Isaiah Trufant.
Football operations upstairs. Web and TV operations downstairs. That's pretty much universal.

False alarm here.

People who work on the team's website would see the same tweets, read the same articles and have access to same free-agent lists and any fan at home would. Ideally, these people would also know a little about football and the league and the process of this stuff, so a list on a whiteboard of top free agents or potential targets would be used in their pre-free agency meetings, which differ greatly from the ones that go on upstairs.

Upstairs, the goal is to get the player in the building and to the roster. In the edit suite, the job is to make the consumers and web-clickers believe that player is the one that's going to tilt the Super Bowl axis.

(As I write this, the 49ers PR deparment just sent out a press release with a link to an interview with their new safety, Antonie Bethea, and B-roll of Bethea playing with his old team, for stations and websites to pursue if they want. Here's a bet that in Santa Clara, there were names on a white board).

If a name was crossed out, circled, highlighted or somehow otherwise made to stand out from the others on that Browns board, chances are it's because footage of that person wasn't yet secured. Maybe there wasn't a lot available. Maybe it was already downloaded to a certain system. It's not supposed to be rocket science.

Now, could the list compiled "downstairs" have been run by someone upstairs to give a nod in one direction or another? Sure. Is there a chance some names on that list were educated guesses? Yes. But they were still just names on a list, names any GM across the league -- or any fan in Brecksville or Boise -- could have written anywhere.

Twenty-six hours into free agency, it wouldn't matter. The negotiating period began five days ago. The Browns apparently had deals with Karlos Dansby and Donte Whitner done before the real stuff even started. There wasn't going to be any white board in any 8x15 edit suite that was going to change that.

I love to tell old Browns stories on Twitter (you may have noticed).

If you've read any of them or just followed the organization in general, you know there was plenty of high-level stupidity that went on inside those walls that didn't involve the high-level botching of the football operation.

For example, in 2006 the start of free agency came at midnight on a Friday (so, technically, 12:01 a.m. Saturday). We had met throughout that week -- "we" being the web staff and a couple of bosses -- about players the Browns might pursue, what we could have done in advance in case news broke, being available through the weekend and strange hours, etc. Part of these discussions were the league's tampering rules and how we needed to take extra caution as a site not to share any information or put the team in any kind of bad light.

It should have been basic stuff.

It was the Browns.

Before leaving the office that Friday, I had submitted "quick" stories -- five or six paragraphs, facts and stats only -- on the Browns potentially signing free agent wide receiver David Givens and punter Dave Zastudil, both of whom had ties to members of the Browns coaching and/or personnel staffs. These stories were e-mailed by me to my boss, and per previous discussions he knew just to keep them in a file and not let them anywhere near our computer system.

Well, this boss thought he was really smart, really slick and super important. And in a super slick lapse of judgment, he put these stories into our admin system with a postdate and future time, meaning they shouldn't have shown up in our newsroom, front page or anywhere else.

Someone found them. They were there, in plain view, on ClevelandBrowns.com.

I was at home in my living room, and I believe I was playing poker with some friends. When my phone rang about 12:45 a.m. from the office number of a pretty high-ranking "upstairs" official, I admit I was initially feeling pretty slick myself and thinking I was about to get some inside information.

Instead, I saw my job flashing before my eyes. People were calling. The Patriots, in fact, were calling, because some guy had posted something written by the lowest-ranking member of the whole organization on the team's official website. To make matters worse, my guess had been wrong. The Browns didn't even call Givens.

I wasn't tampering. I was playing poker. I wouldn't have known David Givens from a pair of sixes.

Before the poker game even ended -- and again through the weekend -- the story made its way to the Pro Football Talk website. At the start of free agency Pro Football Talk was probably getting about 7.3 million hits per second.

When you work for a team website, your No. 1 goal is to never, ever end up on Pro Football Talk.

To make a long story short, the team's PR department officially claimed a hack had taken place. Pro Football Talk called that bluff but eventually had better things to write about. We all got lectures, and we all knew what had happened. We took the names then-coach Romeo Crennel called us the only way we could, with our heads down. I was calling that boss guy who'd put us in that spot even worse.

It didn't happen again. I worked for the Browns for almost four more years following that, which makes me qualified to say it's not worth sweating that white board and the innocent writing on it from today.

It's just a list of any names on a board downstairs. Any schmuck could have put it together.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/did-...rd-photo-031214

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum FA links/rumors/tweets

Link Copied to Clipboard