Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Well I didn't say he said he was tired of losing and Jacksonville has nicer weather more like a California kid is used to and of course there is the ladies on the beaches. However, all I was saying was someone has finally asked him to visit and he took the opportunity. I think we should give him at least one place to visit before we vilify him for being a greedy scum sucking pig.

That's what I figure. There's all different reasons Mack could want to leave. May be he wants to simply move from the North to the South. Jacksonville is a nice city. I know a bunch of people who live there who like it. Not a bad place at all.

But me, I don't really care. I'm not that high on the guy anyway. He should be able to do what he wants to do. And good luck to him. But that doesn't mean that we have to bend over backwards and take it because of what Jacksonville wants to pay the guy (for however many years)........ I do think Mack is replaceable.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

...not a ridiculously overpaid center.

There, fixed it to express my views on the subject.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Well I didn't say he said he was tired of losing and Jacksonville has nicer weather more like a California kid is used to and of course there is the ladies on the beaches. However, all I was saying was someone has finally asked him to visit and he took the opportunity. I think we should give him at least one place to visit before we vilify him for being a greedy scum sucking pig.

I don't vilify him for being a greedy scum sucking pig. I vilify him for thinking he's worth more than he is and for not signing the transition tag.

I actually criticize the new front office for even offering him that, although I can understand it. They don't want a hole to fill on the OL. They would like to keep him at a reasonable price and this was the most economical way to do it.

He would get paid more if franchised. The Browns can let other teams make the offers for them. If they see an offer that they don't like, they can pass and let Mack leave.

The $22 million over 3 years deal that's been tossed out there would actually benefit the Browns. They could match and get him for little more than $7 million/year (not the $10.39 million this year) for the three years of the deal. Even at that, they could let him leave and claim that it was just too rich and that they thought that he was really worth about $6 million/year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This was all inevitable from the start. Free agency dies down, a team now has time to sit down and negotiate with Mack, and then we match whatever offer they make.

Yeah, that's probably true... the biggest thing people said was that nobody would waste time (and miss out on other targets) trying to lock up Mack when the Browns could just match. Now, teams are just sitting on their hands, so why not throw a line out there and see what you can get to bite?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Is Hank Fraley available?

Nope Hank is coaching for the Vikings

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Is Hank Fraley available?

Hank is on the Minnestoa Vikings coaching Staff...Dude was a rock

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Loved Hank, and having Danielle around was nice.

To me, the biggest issue with Mack is the possibility that we will probably be developing a rookie QB this year. Anything and everything that we can do to stabilize the OL is extremely important.

Mack is a very good center, and we are weak at guard. IMO we just can't afford to downgrade here, even a little bit.

Also, I'd rather put a low-round developmental pick into his replacement for next season than a higher pick to start this year. We can afford a pretty good cap hit this year, spend that rather than draft picks.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
JC

I would think if he gets a 3 year/22 mil contract offer we'd match in a second. 7.3 million/year seems reasonable for one of the best centers in the league, especially when we are prepared to season 10 million this season for one.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I know it has been said we have maintained discussions with his representation. I wonder what kind of numbers we were offering?

I know some feel like it isn't that Mack doesn't want to be here, that it is simply about getting the best deal possible. My counter is why is his agent so vocal about crafting a deal we won't or can't match?

Sure, money is a part of it, but this goes beyond that. They want out of town.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know it has been said we have maintained discussions with his representation. I wonder what kind of numbers we were offering?

I know some feel like it isn't that Mack doesn't want to be here, that it is simply about getting the best deal possible. My counter is why is his agent so vocal about crafting a deal we won't or can't match?

Sure, money is a part of it, but this goes beyond that. They want out of town.

3 year, 22 million isn't the problem. Maybe how they structure the deal that would make a difference. But I can't imagine anything that would stop the Browns from matching.

As for him wanting out of Cleveland, I have no idea. As for it being about money, if I were to guess, I'd say that's the hangup.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't really see a way they could structure the deal that would scare us off if it doesn't scare off Jville. A one time, lump sum payment? We could cover that as it stands, though we probably wouldn't want to do that. That might hinder our ability to lock up Haden this season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I hear what you are saying, and I get it. However, there are days I dont want to work where I do either.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't really see a way they could structure the deal that would scare us off if it doesn't scare off Jville. A one time, lump sum payment? We could cover that as it stands, though we probably wouldn't want to do that. That might hinder our ability to lock up Haden this season.

Not necessarily. If we used up most of our available cap space on Mack this year, that would lessen his impact next year. We still have carryover left to spend. Plus, if we signed Haden to an extension this year, we could do it with a minimal signing bonus this year, with a 2nd, guaranteed signing bonus next year, and a huge, also guaranteed roster bonus.

The Redskins squeezed Jackson's deal into something like $3.5 million in available cap room. Where there is a will, there's a way.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

I read that we have $5 mil or more cap space than the Jags. I though that Macks' tag ( $10 mil) was laready counted against our cap... so wouldn'e we avctulay have at least 15 Mil more than the Jags to match a deal?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Good question.. I'm not sure they count it until a contract is signed committing those funds,,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The highest paid center in the league is Ryan Khalil at like 7mil per season. Mack is good but is he the best in the league, I don't think so. I think a 7m per year deal is fair.

Anything above 10m a year, I'd probably let him walk.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It doesn't matter that he isn't the best, what matters is that he is available and teams are willing to pay him.

E
Legend
Legend
E
and teams are willing to pay him.

Of course still waiting to be seen...hard to tell what he's worth there hasn't been a breath of a contract offer. This is the only one to take a look at him - I haven't heard of an offer on the table.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
We are willing to pay him as well.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
If Mack really wanted out of Cleveland - he would sign a transition tender and play out this year, then make his way to the FA market next year.

If Mack wanted the best deal for himself, he would approach a team like Jacksonville that both needs a C, and has tons of money - and try to get the best deal possible from them, and seeing if Cleveland matches.

This is only a positive development.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The highest paid center in the league is Ryan Khalil at like 7mil per season. Mack is good but is he the best in the league, I don't think so. I think a 7m per year deal is fair.

You have to remember B, Salaries go up for the most part. So while 7 mil was the right price perhaps when Khalil signed his deal, that doesn't mean that if he resigned right now that he wouldn't get 8 mill.

I have another question, well actually two.

1. If we agree to match an offer, can Mack still choose the other team? Or does he have to take our offer and remain with the Browns?

2. Can another team offer us a draft pick (to our liking of course) in exchange for our release of Mack's transition tag?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You have to remember B, Salaries go up for the most part. So while 7 mil was the right price perhaps when Khalil signed his deal, that doesn't mean that if he resigned right now that he wouldn't get 8 mill.

I agree but they don't usually go up 30%... I think a lot of people are ok with paying him $7million, not ok with paying him $10 million .. the question is how high would you go.

Quote:

1. If we agree to match an offer, can Mack still choose the other team?

No, if we match he has to play here. That is the whole purpose of the tag.

Quote:

2. Can another team offer us a draft pick (to our liking of course) in exchange for our release of Mack's transition tag?

Not sure on this one but I do not think so. I think that deal would have to involve him signing the tag and then us trading him. Big risk for them if he wasn't immediately willing to negotiate a long term deal because they could lose him after that one year.. at least that's how I think that would work.

yebat' Putin
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote>

1. If we agree to match an offer, can Mack still choose the other team? Or does he have to take our offer and remain with the Browns?

I totally understand him getting a pay increase from the last big contract but almost double, I couldn't stomach. I think we should match just about anything, with the exception of something ridiculous like 10m per season. That is left tackle money, heck that's QB money.

If he signs a contract offer and we match, he plays for Cleveland.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I agree but they don't usually go up 30%... I think a lot of people are ok with paying him $7million, not ok with paying him $10 million .. the question is how high would you go.

Quote:

1. If we agree to match an offer, can Mack still choose the other team?

No, if we match he has to play here. That is the whole purpose of the tag.

Quote:

Not sure on this one but I do not think so. I think that deal would have to involve him signing the tag and then us trading him. Big risk for them if he wasn't immediately willing to negotiate a long term deal because they could lose him after that one year.. at least that's how I think that would work.

I assume you are speaking of a 30% increase over his current pay? What they will pay him going forward has little relationship to what they paid him before. In the NFL, its not at all like it is in the real world.

Nobody I know expects a 30% increase from their current salary. But there are circumstances that it applies to the real world that you and I live in. For instance, a guy is non degreed and he works for me as a draftsman or designer using CAD. Now he gets his BSME and wants a 30% raise. I may not be willing to give it to him, but someone else will..

I kinda thought that if we match, he's ours. But I just wasn't sure. Thanks for that info.

Essentially, what I was saying, can someone give us a draft pick in order to entice us to drop the Transition tag on Mack. I hadn't considered the sign and trade part.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
What's the expected increase in the cap over the next couple years? I would think that a top paid Center (in theory) should expect to get around the same % of the cap over time. This assumes the position doesn't become more or less important over time. So if the cap is increasing by 30% then Mack getting that kind of pay raise would make sense. Otherwise, it would be too high imho.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The cap is going to go up $10 million every year for the foreseeable future.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

On the sign and trdae scenario.... how would that effect the cap hit?

I assume zero as long as no guaranteed money or siging bonus?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Ok, well, the cap it around 125 million (close enough) and a 10 million increase on that would be around 8%. So, offer him a contract that is around 8-10% higher than the current highest paid center (have the annual amounts increase by around 8% annually.) for the next 3-5 years. Guarantee the next 2 years.

If he doesn't take that then either trade him or let him walk next year.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

JC

On the sign and trdae scenario.... how would that effect the cap hit?

I assume zero as long as no guaranteed money or siging bonus?

100% of the signing bonus would hit this year in that case. I think the only way that a sign and trade would work is if the deal has no signing bonus (helps Cleveland but not Mack), but has 100% salary guaranteed as of say Sep 1 (helps Mack, but not the team he gets traded to).

I don't see a sign and trade working for a top 5/10 player at his position in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What's the expected increase in the cap over the next couple years? I would think that a top paid Center (in theory) should expect to get around the same % of the cap over time. This assumes the position doesn't become more or less important over time. So if the cap is increasing by 30% then Mack getting that kind of pay raise would make sense. Otherwise, it would be too high imho.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to that.. I can speculate but can't prove anything.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
My guess is that he would just sign the tender with an agreement in place to renegotiate a new contract once he is traded.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
J/C

I think Mack's posturing (through his agent) about trying to create a contract the Browns can't match and implying he wants out of CLE is so that he can convince another team to try to offer him something. Mack needs negotiating leverage and until he gets an offer he really doesn't have any.

Think about it this way, if Mack wants to stay here in CLE but wants to get paid as much as possible, he's not going to tell prospective teams that. If he did, no one for sure would pursue him. So it's in his financial interest to make it seem like he really wants out and try to get other teams to drive up his value.

At the end of the day though, I think he'll be back here in CLE. Only way that doesn't happen is if JAC makes a crazy offer. Don't see that happening though. I love Mack and he's great but he's a Center. I think it's just a matter of time and even if Mack steps up the negative talk I won't put any stock into it... at this point it's just business.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

My guess is that he would just sign the tender with an agreement in place to renegotiate a new contract once he is traded.

Agreed. And the Browns should consider drafting a center in may to (a) create leverage and (b) protect themselves just in case.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
'Terry Pluto wonders if the Cleveland Browns should keep Alex Mack if he signs with Jacksonville'

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/04/terry_pluto_wonders_if_the_cle.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
on April 06, 2014 at 11:57 AM, updated April 06, 2014 at 1:28 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Alex Mack to Jacksonville?

I understood why Mack was shopping for another team besides the Browns.

In five years, he has played for three different head coaches, four different offensive coordinators and three versions of the front office.

If he stays with the Browns, you can add another coaching staff and front office to the list.

In five years, he has never missed a snap and been a role model on the line.

In five years, the team was either 4-12 or 5-11.

So when Mack became a restricted free agent and there were rumors that Baltimore was interested -- that made some sense.

Browns fans hate to admit it, but the Ravens (actually the old Browns) are everything that fans here long to watch. It's a stable organization that consistently makes the playoffs and has even won two Super Bowls. All that under former Browns great Ozzie Newsome, who runs the football operation.

If you're Mack, that has to be appealing.

But the Ravens don't have the salary cap room to spend huge for a center -- and hope the Browns won't match.

So far, the only team that may bid on Mack is Jacksonville.

Is this an upgrade, especially given Jacksonville's fan support problems?

In the five years that Mack has been in the NFL, the Browns are 23-57.

Jacksonville is 27-53.

The Jags also have had three coaches in that span.

Both franchises need a quarterback. Both are coming off 4-12 seasons. Both have lots of salary cap room -- Browns have about $30 million, Jacksonville is at $25 million.

No matter where he signs, he will be the NFL's highest-paid center.

After failing to sign Mack to a long-term deal, the Browns put a transition tag on him for slightly more than $10 million. That gave them the right to match any offer that he receives.

In retrospect, they probably should have slapped the franchise tag on Mack. His salary would have been $11.6 million. Any other team wanting to sign him would have had to trade two first-rounders.

No one does that for a center, especially when you'd need to pay the guy more than $10 million annually. Skipping the franchise tag for Mack could be a very costly mistake for the new front office.

The NFL's highest-paid center in 2013 was Carolina's Ryan Kalil ($7.3 million).

The Eagles signed center Jason Kelce to a $38 million deal, with $13 million guaranteed. Combining his $6 million signing bonus and $1.4 million first year salary -- he'll make $7.4 million in 2014.

No matter where he plays, Mack will set a new pay standard for centers.

Jacksonville may offer $30 million for three years, with more than $20 million guaranteed.

The Browns can match it.

But should they spend that much on a center, especially one who really does seem to want out? Joe Haden, Jordan Cameron, Josh Gordon and some others are worthy of contract extensions -- and that takes lots of salary-cap cash.

Mack's desire to leave has been evident since rejecting different offers from the Browns. Owner Jimmy Haslem led a group of six front office people and coaches to court Mack last month.

If Mack signs a lucrative offer with Jacksonville, the Browns should think twice about matching it.

Do you pay $10 million a year to a center who seems willing to change teams just to change teams, even if it's not a better football situation?

Would the Browns be better off either moving John Greco to center and drafting another guard? Or perhaps drafting a center? These may be the better alternatives for the Browns.

(end)

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

All I know is that if we don't keep Mack, our OL is going to be a huge question mark going into next year. We are moving to a more complex zone blocking scheme where intelligence and agility is needed. We already have question marks at guard and perhaps at RT. Losing Mack would hurt us on the field.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. And the Browns should consider drafting a center in may to (a) create leverage and (b) protect themselves just in case.

How much leverage does that actually create if the guy we draft isn't a top Center Prospect? I don't know about you, but I'm in the camp that says it's hard to replace a center the quality of Mack.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

If Jacksonville signs him to an offer sheet the situation will be resolved by the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I heard on Sirius NFL late this afternoon, that the Jags have made an offer to Mack. I have no confirmation of this; anybody got any input?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

No, and no....with an asterick....there would have to be some background work in place.

If we match a offer, he has to sign with us unless he retires from the game.

The other, he would still have to sign the tag first before we could make a move.....the background work I mentioned.

We can't trade a player we don't have under contract, and that is how it stands as of now. He'd have to sign with us, then us trade him and the other team execute a deal with him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, and no....with an asterick....there would have to be some background work in place.

If we match a offer, he has to sign with us unless he retires from the game.

The other, he would still have to sign the tag first before we could make a move.....the background work I mentioned.

We can't trade a player we don't have under contract, and that is how it stands as of now. He'd have to sign with us, then us trade him and the other team execute a deal with him.

If I understand things correctly, Mack could actually 'hold out' and not sign the transition tag. He would then remain property of the Browns but not receive pay of any kind until such time as he signs the Browns offer (up to 10 weeks of the regular season - which would be pro-rated for any mandatory time missed). If he did not sign the Browns tender at this time, he would be out of the remainder of the season, without pay and automatically have the transition tag applied to him at the time when transition and franchise tags can be applied.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Alex Mack Transition Tag in FA Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard