Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dean Offline OP
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
Quote:

Expected to be drafted in the first round, WR Sammy Watkins might have sent out a message as to where he desires to be drafted.

The Cleveland Browns have two first round picks, No. 4 and No. 26 in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Watkins is considered the best receiver and the pairing of him and Josh Gordon could be a lethal combination.

Watkins posted a picture to his instagram of himself in a Browns uniform.

Now, they still have that problem of who is going to throw to them…

Sammy Watkins Post Picture of Himself in a Browns Uniform

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
He was posting stuff about himself in Lions gear as well.

Legend
Legend
Yeah I figured he would probably be doing this with all the teams drafting high. Good for him showing enthusiasm to play for any team, though.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
At 26 ok, at 4 no thanks

I also think doing this will haunt him in the future. It will be used as fodder against him at some point.

Last edited by Arps; 03/14/14 01:26 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Good for him showing enthusiasm to play for any team, though.

No, it's all about the money. The higher you get drafted...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

At 26 ok, at 4 no thanks

I also think doing this will haunt him in the future. It will be used as fodder against him at some point.

At 26? Nice dream world.

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Running off the fact if Cinci matches our offer and we lose out on Hawkins. Also, we don't draft a QB, then I am all for Watkins. That wouldn't be too bad a thought with Gordon, Watkins and whoever else, I guess Greg Little. Who covers Jordan Cameron then? Who do you double team - Watkins or Josh? Who do you wanna throw the ball more to against single coverage if you were Hoyer/whoever?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

At 26 ok, at 4 no thanks

At 26? Nice dream world.

I'd take him at 4... at 26 I'd wonder what was wrong with him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Bortles isn't there at 4 and Sammy is, I take Sammy and never look back. Even if Teddy is still on the board.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Joe Thomas #73
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Watkins would be one heck of a weapon, opposite Gordon.

Think about the effect Watkins and Gordon would have on the running game...no more crowding the LOS to shut down the run.

It is a very deep WR class with over 20 wrs projected to be drafted in the first 5 rounds. If the Browns don't draft Watkins they can still pick up a good prospect in one of the later rounds.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't be upset a bit if we took him.
Big, fast Gordon. A strong fighter for the ball in Watkins, Cameron, the Bengals dude in the slot (possibly). Throw in Ben Tate and another RB.

Hoyer shouldn't fail with that group. Draft Jimmy G or McCarron later.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Big, fast Gordon. A strong fighter for the ball in Watkins, Cameron, the Bengals dude in the slot (possibly). Throw in Ben Tate and another RB.

I was just about to post something similar.

I will caution everyone though that we continuously fall in love with "building the team" every year ... and every year we still don't have a QB ... and every year we still suck. If Bridgewater is there at #4, I think you have to take him. If he's gone, then go Watkins. And I love the idea of putting Gordon and Watkins on the field together. But the bottom line is we need a QB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
What kind of idiot thinks an wide receiver can wear number two in the NFL? I surely don't want to draft him now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I will caution everyone though that we continuously fall in love with "building the team" every year ... and every year we still don't have a QB ... and every year we still suck. If Bridgewater is there at #4, I think you have to take him. If he's gone, then go Watkins. And I love the idea of putting Gordon and Watkins on the field together. But the bottom line is we need a QB.

I think Watkins has a better chance of being a legit NFL star than Bridgewater or any of the other QB's in this draft class.

I think he is my favorite player in this draft that we could use while filling a need.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What kind of idiot thinks an wide receiver can wear number two in the NFL? I surely don't want to draft him now.

he just had someone photo shop this picture...

https://www.naplesnews.com/photos/galleries/2013/nov/01/sammy-watkins-2013-season/290974/

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Watkins isn't even my no1 WR in this class, wlthough I really like his game, but he has some attitude to him that I think is a little red flag. To some it may be ok, but there'S some potential trouble maker in him. Totally personal opinion though and a "gut feeling" if you will...

I'd rather pick OG/OT G.Robinson at 4 then Watkins. Since we did nothing to improve ou OL, I'd plug him in at LG or RG in year 1 and depending on Schwartz's season, maybe move him to RT in year two. Downside of the pick is a PB level LG, upside a PB OT.

That said, if both QBs I like are gone (Bridgewater/Bortles), a downtrade is my no1 wish. I'd be ok to pick OG/OT Z.Martin then, who's gonna be a good one too or WR Evans or the best CB etc etc depending of the rest of this (so far) uninspiring FA.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

What kind of idiot thinks Sammy Watkins actually spends his time photoshopping pictures of himself.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Think about the effect Watkins and Gordon would have on the running game...no more crowding the LOS to shut down the run.

It is a very deep WR class with over 20 wrs projected to be drafted in the first 5 rounds. If the Browns don't draft Watkins they can still pick up a good prospect in one of the later rounds.

I agree, and Bortles is my pick at 4, with possibly Su'a-Filo, Beckham or Mosely at 26. If we don't take a WR at 4 or 26, there is still talent there to be had in the second, even 3rd rounds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

re-posted for emphasis.

Thanks.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

re-posted for emphasis.

Thanks.

As long as you aren't saying take "ANY" QB at 4 just because we need one, then I'm fine with that.

we needed a QB two years ago,, and we stretched and picked the wrong one and now he's on the street..

I know there aren't any guarantees but I'd rather we didn't make that mistake again.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

As long as you aren't saying take "ANY" QB at 4 just because we need one, then I'm fine with that.

Worry not, o Dawg'o'mine.

I was in-line with Rish's statement. If Bridgewater's there at 4, you take him... if not, Sammy would look great opposite Gordon.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Worry not, o Dawg'o'mine.

I was in-line with Rish's statement. If Bridgewater's there at 4, you take him... if not, Sammy would look great opposite Gordon.

Just read an article on NFL.com that there are some that don't even think that Teddy is a top 10 pick.... FYIW

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...er-scout-tweets

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dean Offline OP
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
Quote:

He was posting stuff about himself in Lions gear as well.

Wasn't aware of that. Smart marketing. Feed their appetites.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Just clicking...

PLEASE! Sammy Watkins and Gordon together becomes difficult to cover, makes them both better and Cameron too. We've not had 2 good pass catchers on a team since BE and K2 were together.
Yes our QBs have been bad but our WRs have been worse. As noted by ALL of the FORMER Browns WRs that are playing on other teams in the league. Good luck if you can name one still in the league...
0 former Browns WRs had more than 25 catches this season (only chance maybe K2 had like 30...)

Hoyer has shown capable...Keep him and develop another guy.

Bortles at 4 really? This is the talk we have? He's not that good. Bridgewater fine, Manziel fine...but I don't think Bortles or Bridgewater take a team anywhere special...Manziel might because the kid has moxy...but the others? eh...regular NFL guys...not stars....

Watkins is a star...that's what you take at 4.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Good to see some interest in us even though we all know he's fishin for how high he can go...lol and looking to go somewhere with weapons already us n Lions.

Still as much as that looks good. WRs never won a championship and won't start this year.

Bridgwater is there its a no Brainer.

Then its a squeaker for the other two Bortles or JM that I will leave it up to Farmer cause he was the one who was scouting them and making the reports on the QBs.

NO QB either gone or JM/Bortles not in our #4 plans.

Clowney, Watkins and Robinsion have been on my list for a long time and will not change now. Not sure of any order. Would like anyone of them...I am not a WR high kind of guy but I do see something special in the Watkins kid. Would love a kick butt Robinson! and a kid like Clowney doesn't come around often.

jmho...we cannot pass on Bridgewater that is what I do know!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd rather pick OG/OT G.Robinson at 4 then Watkins. Since we did nothing to improve ou OL, I'd plug him in at LG or RG in year 1 and depending on Schwartz's season, maybe move him to RT in year two. Downside of the pick is a PB level LG, upside a PB OT.

I have to call you on this.. nobody in the draft has ever had their downside be pro-bowl caliber at any position..... nobody... ever.... That's like saying a guy has ZERO risk....

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'd trade down for a 2nd if I didn't take Clowney. Clowney is a game changer IMO.

If Clowney is there, I'd trade down or select him. No other options for me, other than a QB if we feel the QB is the right guy.

#4 is a good spot this year......I hope we take advantage.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There are probably at least 15 players that are worthy of going top 5. Its a crazy draft. The fact that mathews from Vandy likely goes in the 2nd is just crazy. hell he could have probably gone top 10 last year to be honest.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

There are probably at least 15 players that are worthy of going top 5. Its a crazy draft. The fact that mathews from Vandy likely goes in the 2nd is just crazy. hell he could have probably gone top 10 last year to be honest.

Another reason why trading down and gaining another 2nd makes sense to me.

It's almost like every round in the top 4 is bumped up a round, if that makes sense, especially since we are at the top of rounds.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

At 26 ok, at 4 no thanks

26, LOL, aren't you the dreamer.

This kid is definitely worth the 4th pick and I am on board for the Browns to nab him. Drafting Watkins secures the WR group for a long time and we will finaly have legit weapons for a QB to throw to. My mouth waters at the thought of Gordon, Watkins, and Cameron on the field together. That is a nightmare for even the Seahawks' secondary.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Just clicking...

PLEASE! Sammy Watkins and Gordon together becomes difficult to cover, makes them both better and Cameron too. We've not had 2 good pass catchers on a team since BE and K2 were together.
Yes our QBs have been bad but our WRs have been worse. As noted by ALL of the FORMER Browns WRs that are playing on other teams in the league. Good luck if you can name one still in the league...
0 former Browns WRs had more than 25 catches this season (only chance maybe K2 had like 30...)

Hoyer has shown capable...Keep him and develop another guy.

Bortles at 4 really? This is the talk we have? He's not that good. Bridgewater fine, Manziel fine...but I don't think Bortles or Bridgewater take a team anywhere special...Manziel might because the kid has moxy...but the others? eh...regular NFL guys...not stars....

Watkins is a star...that's what you take at 4.

I'm with you on the Watkins pick, but Braylon Edwards was never a "good pass catcher," just sayin

H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
Quote:

Quote:

I have to call you on this.. nobody in the draft has ever had their downside be pro-bowl caliber at any position..... nobody... ever.... That's like saying a guy has ZERO risk....

Orlando Pace

Legend
Legend
Great player but not sure I would take him at 4 - depends on if clowney or bridgewater are there - I'd take either over him and then if I want a wr either look to move up from 26 to take Evans or maybe hope to take Benjamin frm FSU in the second

<><

#gmstrong
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Good to see some interest in us even though we all know he's fishin for how high he can go...lol and looking to go somewhere with weapons already us n Lions.

Still as much as that looks good. WRs never won a championship and won't start this year.

Bridgwater is there its a no Brainer.

Then its a squeaker for the other two Bortles or JM that I will leave it up to Farmer cause he was the one who was scouting them and making the reports on the QBs.

NO QB either gone or JM/Bortles not in our #4 plans.

Clowney, Watkins and Robinsion have been on my list for a long time and will not change now. Not sure of any order. Would like anyone of them...I am not a WR high kind of guy but I do see something special in the Watkins kid. Would love a kick butt Robinson! and a kid like Clowney doesn't come around often.

jmho...we cannot pass on Bridgewater that is what I do know!

No WR ever won a championship, please did you forget about Jerry Rice and John Taylor???

I know that you are probably saying it was all Joe Montana, but what round was he drafted in? The 4th, not the 4th pick, but the 4th round, and how much do you think he could have done without those 2 WR's??? It takes 11 men on the field at a time to win, but when you can create the mismatches that the likes of Tate, Gordon, Watkins, Jordan, & Hawkins would create, you have to be curious. Cleveland has not seen that type of offensive talent in a LONG time..

Legend
Legend
At 4, not 26. Seems more realistic to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dean Offline OP
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think Watkins has a better chance of being a legit NFL star than Bridgewater or any of the other QB's in this draft class.

I think he is my favorite player in this draft that we could use while filling a need.

I don't understand the fascination with Bridgewater. I've watched his highlights and see another one of those QB's who caves-in and bails out of the pocket too much. He also has a tendency to sling that side-armed ball which will be batted down regularly in the NFL. I've yet to see a QB who is a "scrambler and running danger" the nature of Michael Vick etc...take any team to any type of prolonged playoff/championship runs. Bridgewater would be great in a Chip Kelly offense. I don't know what we are planning on running but I can't see Pettine following that scheme.

Maybe I'm old school but I like Blake Bortles In many aspects, he reminds me of Bernie. He's big. He has a strong good delivery. He stays in the pocket. He steps up in the pocket. But, he can still throw the fade aways and perform west coast style consistently.

IF...and that's a big if...we can put together a backfield with some consistentcy in the running game we will do well with a big strong armed pocket passer. I'd love Tate and Hyde in the backfield and Bortles getting the snap with Gordon and Watkins out in the wings.

That would be great as long as we build a right side of the O-line some day soon.

Legend
Legend
There is just so much I disagree with in this post. I feel like it might be dishonest just to rile people up.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I've yet to see a QB who is a "scrambler and running danger" the nature of Michael Vick etc...take any team to any type of prolonged playoff/championship runs. Bridgewater would be great in a Chip Kelly offense

You're talking about Teddy Bridgewater?

All Pro
All Pro
The only way we do not take Watkins at 4 is if Clowney is there.

GO BROWNS!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Sammy Watkins Wants To Come To Cleveland?

Link Copied to Clipboard