Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#864544 03/17/14 03:53 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
figured I'd start the next thread since the last one was locked

NFL Access ‏@NFL_Access 5m

Texans are trying to trade QB Matt Schaub. The Raiders and Browns are among the teams reportedly interested.
https://twitter.com/NFL_Access/statuses/445647081638998016

NFL Access ‏@NFL_Access 2m

Cowboys have agreed to terms on a 2-year deal with QB Brandon Weeden

https://twitter.com/NFL_Access/statuses/445647081638998016

Details

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Wow,, I can't believe anyone gave Weeden another contract..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I was kinda happy because it will give us cap relief

I was more surprised about the Schaub story because it died several days ago but all of a sudden... it's taken on legs like craZy today.

either Raiders or Browns want Schaub and the Texans are trying to raise the draft pick they will get out of them.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
also if anyone is following Ben Tate on Twitter...

he is pushing for us to sign Vickers.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I was kinda happy because it will give us cap relief

I was more surprised about the Schaub story because it died several days ago but all of a sudden... it's taken on legs like craZy today.

either Raiders or Browns want Schaub and the Texans are trying to raise the draft pick they will get out of them.

hey, if he can help us win, I'm good with him..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Not sure how I would feel about that...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
See, I'm worried he can help us win in the short term, only next year. And not 8+ wins kind of help, like getting us to 6 wins.

I don't want a bandaid QB. Give me the guy or guys that we're going to be working on for the next few years and beyond. I want to give Hoyer a big shot and have a young backup ready to come in when/if he can't deliver. I don't want some washed-up vet living out his starting fantasties and it costing us time to groom the franchise QB.

That's why I don't want Schaub (well, that and I think he's done).

Now, if there's isn't a QB in the draft the FO doesn't want to build with AND Hoyer isn't happening either, sure, I'll take Schaub to bridge to next year.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
All Pro
All Pro
But one thing is certain: Shanahan knows how to bring out the best in Schaub. In his three seasons under Shanahan, his ratings were 87.2, 92.7 and 98.6.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/qb_matt_schaub_is_a_serious_po.html

GO BROWNS!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Vickers

SUPERBOWL!!!!!!

Last edited by RocketOptimist; 03/17/14 04:31 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm onboard with that!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Because of Shanahan, looks like the Browns are going after Shaub. This doesn't impress me very much. Glad Flipper got a new contract. I hope he can improve his game out of the limelight, but will at best be a backup.

What a blown draft back in 2012.....

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Because of Shanahan, looks like the Browns are going after Shaub. This doesn't impress me very much. Glad Flipper got a new contract. I hope he can improve his game out of the limelight, but will at best be a backup.

How long before you swear off this board entirely again?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

LOL You want Shaub???????????

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL You want Shaub???????????

Not really but he's better than Weeden. Don't see the reason we can't just stick with Hoyer if we're thinking the "veteran" route.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

As I remember it, Vickers did a decent job for us?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not really but he's better than Weeden. Don't see the reason we can't just stick with Hoyer if we're thinking the "veteran" route.

Hoyer excites me a lot more than Shaub. I hope we draft Manziel though and let em both fight it out in training camp.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As I remember it, Vickers did a decent job for us?

Couldn't catch a cold but he was the best blocking FB we've had.

Legend
Legend
whatever they get back from Weeden, throw it on top of what you were offering Rogers-Cromartie.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Weeden got the minimum.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Still too much

Legend
Legend
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie reached agreement with the New York Giants on a five-year deal, per source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
dangit.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

See, I'm worried he can help us win in the short term, only next year. And not 8+ wins kind of help, like getting us to 6 wins.

I don't want a bandaid QB. Give me the guy or guys that we're going to be working on for the next few years and beyond. I want to give Hoyer a big shot and have a young backup ready to come in when/if he can't deliver. I don't want some washed-up vet living out his starting fantasties and it costing us time to groom the franchise QB.

Now, if there's isn't a QB in the draft the FO doesn't want to build with AND Hoyer isn't happening either, sure, I'll take Schaub to bridge to next year.

Winning is winning.. 6 or 7 wins sounds like a giant leap (isn't that sad?)

No, I think he can do more than that. We won 4 games. A good QB in 5 or 6 other games might have been all the difference.

Hoyer may or may not be the answer. And you never know what you will get in the Draft so, consider him to be insurance... I wonder if they (the team) looks at him as a savior? Hope not.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Right, if he's signed as the #2 or #3 and told to teach the younglin's, sure. If you're bringing in him as a starter to get us to 6 wins, I'll pass. I'd rather sink or swim with Hoyer or <insert drafted QB name here>.

Hopefully it's not sink or drown.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... if he's signed as the #2 or #3 and told to teach the younglin's, sure.

I believe I'd be OK with Shaub, as long as it's for a veteran presence/mentor role. Yes, his contract would have to be redone. Draft a QB (Murray?) who can sit and learn for 2-3 years. If Shaub is better than Hoyer in pre-season, you may have to rethink who will be the starter...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Weeden got the minimum.

Rich gal: I hear some pro ballplayers make alot of money these days.
Weeden: Yeah, you can. Depends on how good you are.
Rich gal: Well, how good are you?
Weeden: I make the league minimum.

#gmstrong
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
j/c

I think the starter this year should earn that spot regardless. I don't care who it is... if someone outplays Hoyer in practice/preseason games then that dude should be the starter. No more handouts.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

j/c

I think the starter this year should earn that spot regardless. I don't care who it is... if someone outplays Hoyer in practice/preseason games then that dude should be the starter. No more handouts.

This is exactly how I feel about it. No more "we had to see what we hads" and "we selected him high so we'll start him anyway" and all this other mumbo jumbo - let's have a true "may the best man win" contest.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Wow,, I can't believe anyone gave Weeden another contract..

Why not? The guy has starting experience and has won games in the NFL. He is a valuable back-up QB.

Look at all the QBs who stuck for years as back-ups that weren't any better or even worse than BW.

I didn't like Tim Couch at all, but after he left here I didn't rag on the guy. I just didn't want him as my starter and knew keeping him to be a back-up here wasn't going to work.

Sort of like Weeden. I hope he does well in Dallas and carves out another 5-6-7 years in the NFL.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Still waiting on the forty time for Preston Brown, but the linebacker did improve his vertical jump (34.5 inches) and bench press (26) marks from the combine. Brown met extensively today with Cleveland Browns general manager Ray Farmer and Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson.

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Did Vickers play last season? I don't remember seeing him play.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

. I don't want some washed-up vet living out his starting fantasties and it costing us time to groom the franchise QB.

I dont believe that Schaub is washed up and has seen his last days in the NFL. Every member on this board could give a list of QBs that they would take Schaub over. I personely have never been a Schaub fan or thought he was going to be a franchise QB. I remember during the 2007 season, where DA had his one hit wonder season, and I was in the bathroom during a Texans game. A Texans fan was at the urinal and a fellow Browns fan kept mocking saying "Schaaaaaub" and laughing every time he said it, like what the hell are you thinking even spending a penny on a player like that. Of course the rest of us laughed in an arrogant, cocky, playfully intimidating manner. I was thinking at the time that Schaub was overrated for the Texans to trade for and would top out as an under mediocre QB. A player that has the perfect size and intangibles that GMs and coaches covet but that doesnt pan out. Even when Schaub started to turn things around and go on to become a bona fide starter, I figured it was because of the targets he had to throw to. That he was a product of having one of the best WRs in the game with a good supporting cast. That any average to decent QB would succeed in that scenerio. He had good enough seasons to go on and be a Pro Bowler, and not DA like where other QBs were having subpar for them seasons; injuries; playoffs; etc.. Having good seasons but not winning in the playoffs. Even after I eventually started to give Schaub credit for becomming a good QB, nationaly andmajority was saying that Schaub was a good season QB that didnt have what it takes to win in the playoffs. My most hated analogy given to QBs that lose in the playoffs or SB. He has taken more heat for that than any QB in can remember in recent history. More so then the Matt Ryans of the league. His own teammates had to go out of their way to tell reporters that Schaub was legit or the real deal. Like Tebows teammates had to do when they told reporters in interviews that "they have a playoff caliber QB", after a win against Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Outside of Texas, I dont believe he was getting much credit at all for the Texans success. But after watching a few games and seeing his stats and teams record, Schaub performed vey well and outplayed my evaluation of what I thought he would be. He already has a better career then I thought he would even if he stopped playing right now. I do think he has peaked athleticly which doesnt mean anything considering right now he is more athletic than a Peyton Manning. Regardless of who he had to throw to he had to have the smarts and the arm strength to take the Texans to a credible franchise. Way better then David Carr ever did. Not counting last season, many would consider the Texans a dangerous team to play against. Its like they had a 'fluke bad season'. The Texans would have not been that team without Schaub. In a smaller amount of time the Texans have more credibilty to be a playoff threat for multible years before Cleveland has or yet to be as an expansion teams. Schaub did have a horrible year last year but I think thats the worse Schaub will do in his carreer or what he can do in the next 3 years. His bad play or bad season was magnified because of his 'pick 6s' and the timing of those bad ints. I dont believe that his wheels fell off. I think that some of it was, that teams prepared for the Texans offense during last offseason more then other offenses because the Texans were one of the teams to beat. Its not like the Texans had offensive playcalling that confused you or had your defense on its heels. They were beating teams by having better players and beating you strait up. No Mike Mularky offensive strategy where they tricked you and you didnt know what was coming. Schaub has some gas left in the tank and even though I never thought I would say "Yeah, Id take Schaub." I think that he would be a valuable addition. My thought process is that he would be a good mentor to Hoyer and be a good backup that could win games. Not as a playmaker but as a player capable enough to get the ball to his playmakers and win games. He knows Shannys offense and could teach Hoyer, the rookie, and has a very good chance to beat Hoyer for the starting position in training camp. He would also come at a good price. He is definetly work the contracts that Josh Mckown or Charlie Whitehurst are getting. I dont want, or think he will get, a contract that QBs get where they are coming in and everyone KNOWS they are the #1 guy. With him knowing the offense already and having success in that offense under the same playcaller, he has more value to this team then Campbell or Weeden. So for the right price, Im on board in getting him and I never thought Id say that.

Earlier it has been posted that Tate wants the Browns to sign Vickers. I like it. By default he would already be the best FB on the team. A 1 or 2 year deal with a small signing bonus. It shouldnt be hard to do since Vickers was out of football the year before. A few players have had success after taking a year off and he didnt have to because of injury. With what he puts his body thru as a physical bang em up style football player, a year off wouldnt hurt. Im sure if he is trying to make a comeback, that he has been keeping himself in some kind of playing shape. It wouldnt hurt to take a look. Im not sure if Shanny is more FB or 2 TE set (someone help me out here as to what sets or formations that Shanny uses) but I was always on board at having 2 FBs on the roster. Hoping that one can help out on special teams to be even more useful. Like a developing late round pick when its time to step in after the old guy hangs it up or heads for the money when and if that happens because of the position. Terrell Smith and Vickers had backups. I remember Jamal Lewis loving the backup FB and recommending to Crennel to keep him on the roster even if it meant taking a paycut to have room. Maricic and Obi werent even good at FB and they didnt even have backups on the roster. Maricic was a two way player in Stanford (FB,LB) so he never really had big time, full time experiance at the position and neither did Obi considering he was an ex HB. Turner even said that because of Obis size that he couldnt use him in full time FB situations. Obi was more of a receiving threat as a FB. So not only would I like to see Vickers get a look, I want to draft one. If the signing bonus is small and with the position being seen as not important any more, the rookie might even beat him out and Vickers could be cut. I believe that Vickers would come to this team, not just for a paycheck, but as a hardnosed blue collar player with a chip on his shoulder. To prove that he belongs in this league and with a passion to win for this city and its fans, and to help turn this team around.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Did Vickers play last season? I don't remember seeing him play.

not for 2 years I think. might be some pr work? most liked Vickers while he was here. but then again he did well blocking for him before?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Is Owen Marecic still in the league? lol

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I have no idea but I remember eo running me down and saying I didn't know football because I thought he sucked.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But one thing is certain: Shanahan knows how to bring out the best in Schaub. In his three seasons under Shanahan, his ratings were 87.2, 92.7 and 98.6.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/qb_matt_schaub_is_a_serious_po.html

5 years ago.... I agree Matt played well but he has a lot of baggage since

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Owen is on record saying he doesn't want to play NFL football anymore, and the deal with him and Harbaugh at San Fran never transpired. Translation: I got beat up when my position is "suppose" to dish out the beatings. Man watching him hit the hole trying to lock up on someone was pathetic.

Unlike Weeden, he accepted the fact he cannot play in this league.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You know that I never liked Weeden, but I admire a guy who will stick w/it over a quitter. That's for sure.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Unlike Weeden, he accepted the fact he cannot play in this league.

Weeden just accept a million dollar deal... I'm not a fan of his but I think if someone offered me a millions dollars to play a game I'd stay in it as long as I could...

Last edited by jaybird; 03/17/14 09:51 PM.

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Fair enough, but he better hope Romo doesn't go down cause he'll be forced to demonstrate the same reasons why we axed him. Make all the $ you can!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum FA links/rumors/tweets pt 2

Link Copied to Clipboard