Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Legend
Legend
D
Makes sense, former Bills, but what it doesn't make sense is we've already got a stacked lineup of quality options to use at DE.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, my thoughts too. He's a good enough player but who's spot does he take? Wynn, Bryant, Rubin, Hughes, and Bryant are all better than him IMO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

Quote:

Browns Reportedly Close to Meeting With DE Alex Carrington

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/3/18/5...alex-carrington

Why?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

I understand the tone regarding DeSean Jackson. He certainly has not helped his public image with the tantrums and constant (and I mean constant) contract disputes.

But, I would still meet with his agents (if the Eagles are allowing it) and see what he really wants out of all of this situation. He is a special talent and a guy who combined with the guys we have create a dynamic offense. It is worth the risk IMO (again, if we meet with his agents and his demands are not outrageous).

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

He's a good enough player but who's spot does he take? Wynn, Bryant, Rubin, Hughes, and Bryant are all better than him IMO.

Could they be thinking of trading someone?

Not sure why they'd mess w the D-Line aside from maybe adding some depth VERY late in/after the draft.

Legend
Legend
As long as D.Jackson is happy with his contract, you'll be getting a great WR talent. Of course, that's not an easy thing to do.

I've always thought a guy like this should be signing one or two years deals. He wants to be paid in the top 5 or top 10 every year. That's easy to deal with if you're a free agent often.

I'd take a gamble on the guy for a 3rd rounder. We have the money.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would instantly erase any notion of drafting Watkins. I seriously doubt we tip our hand like that.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Would instantly erase any notion of drafting Watkins. I seriously doubt we tip our hand like that.

Ummm, I would not go that far. Just imagine a single-back set and try to be the defensive co-ordinator to stop this lineup:

Tate -RB
Cameron - TE
Gordon - Flanker
DeSean - Split
Sammy - Slot

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
With an attitude/personality/self-centered person like Jackson makes his personal appearance seem like, I wouldn't want him at all really. He'd look great on game day along side Hawkins and Josh, but he's an "all about me" player that yes, I think teams will grant him one to two year contracts because of, how I view it, how "full of himself" he is and his lavish demands.

It surely wouldn't hurt to actually see what type of trade package it would take to get him here. I can already tell if I was GM, i'd probably not be willing to give up what he is wanting...

We have the luxury of drafting someone that can turn out to be good, or as good even, and have it cheaper without the mouth too...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Devin Hester reported to be wanting 4 million a year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/report-devin-hester-wants-4-million-a-year/

4 million a year? For what? He isn't a WR, that's for sure. The days of special teams return man are very much phased out. Why would anyone pay him what he's wanting? Reality check Hester....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

We're sitting at 30 mil right now...

I understand that we're probably saving 10 of it for when Mack signs his tag...

But seriously, can't we at least go out and sign a SOLID #2 corner for like 5-7? Doesn't seem that difficult...

Well ... let's look at what we've done so far ........

I saw estimates that said that we had over $53 million in cap space going into free agency. There is no way we have spent that amount of cap space.

Hawkins: 4 year deal. $4 million signing bonus. 1st year salary of $1.8 million. There are an additional $900K in unspecified bonuses, but let's assume the total hits in year 1.

Hawkins = $1 million signing bonus allocation, $1.8 million salary, and $900K bonuses for a total of $3.7 2014 cap hit.

Dansby: 2 year deal. $6 million signing bonus, $4 million 1st year salary guaranteed, along with 50% of his 2nd year $4 million salary.

Dansby = $1.5 million signing bonus allocation, $4 million salary, for a total 2014 cap hit os $5.5 million.

Dray: Unspecified 3 year deal worth $5.625v million. We'll assume 1/3 in year 1.

Dray = 2014 cap hit of $1.875 million.

Trufant: 2 year, $1.54 million deal. $1 million guaranteed. Again, we'll assume a 50/50 split.

Trufant= 2014 cap hit of $770K

Whitner: 4 year deal worth $28 million, with $13 million guaranteed. $9 million of that guarantee is a signing bonus, with the rest of his guarantees being $2 million in year 1 and 2 salary. His 1st year salary is $2 million.

Whitner = $2.25 million signing bonus allocation, plus $2 million 1st year salary for a total of $4.25 million 1st year cap cost.

Tate: 2 year, $6.2 million deal. He has a $1.5 signing bonus, and a total $2.5 million guarantee. His salary for 2014 is $1.2 million, and he also has a roster bonus of $750K on a per game basis. So, if he stays healthy and plays all 16 games, he can make up to $1.95 in year 1.

Tate = $750,000 signing bonus allocation, $1.2 million salary, and $750,000 in per game bonuses. 2014 cap hit of $2.7 million.

OK, so ......

Hawkins = $3.7 million cap hit for 2014.
Dansby - $5.5 million cap hit for 2014.
Dray = $1.875 million cap hit for 2014.
Trufant = $770,000 cap hit for 2014.
Whitner = $4.5 million cap hit for 2015.
Tate: $2.7 million cap hit for 2014.

So, we have spent, against the cap, (not in cash, which is a completely different accounting) a total of $19.4 million.

So, we should have cap space of $33.6 million remaining, with a hold on $10 million of that to account for Mack's tender. We'll probably need $8 million to sign draft picks, so we actually have, right now, about $15.6 million in actual, "spendable" cap space right now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dang, that looks like a lot of work. Nice job man

D
Legend
Legend
D
Nice, thank you for the informative post and breaking out all the numbers and etc.

Legend
Legend
Daaaaang, Dawg-

why you sitting at your home computer instead of 76 Groza?

Nicely done, indeed.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
H
1st String
1st String
H
I understand this draft is "deep" at the wr position. But I'm not so sure we could draft a talent like Jackson in the 3rd round. Really? Not buying it.

I'm not saying to go for him. But to think we would get a player like him in the 3rd is a pipe dream IMO. If we did get him for a 3rd it would be a great deal and we could use that 4th or 26th on something different than a wr

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Here are the exact numbers, 37mil remaining and that's INCLUDING 10mil for Mack:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Browns&Year=2014

Hawkins isn't inlcuded yet, but it was reported his 1st year cap hit would be 5.7mil

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I don't want us to trade for DJax, but not filling a need in FA just to "not tip yourr hand" seems like a stupid argument to me and exactly why I think this FA is partly a failure....

The Raiders officially have signed better player with LT Penn now signed...

#gmstrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Some random gossip:

Vick could make a decison soon as opposed to waiting after the draft. Visiting with the Jets (where I really believe he'll land):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/report-vick-to-visit-jets-this-weekend/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/vick-could-be-moving-toward-a-decision/

Maurice Jones Drew to visit with Steelers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...nterest-builds/

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Hopefully nothing comes of that. MJD really came on after he healed from his injuries during the first part of the season.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Maurice Jones Drew to visit with Steelers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...nterest-builds/

That would really make me mad when the Steelers get to sign the better RB...

#gmstrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
If Vick goes to the Jets, would anyone consider Mark Sanchez for our veteran backup QB role? At least you wouldn't have to trade draft picks to get him, like you would for Schaub.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I wouldn't think Pittsburgh had the money to sign him. I hope they don't.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If Vick goes to the Jets, would anyone consider Mark Sanchez for our veteran backup QB role? At least you wouldn't have to trade draft picks to get him, like you would for Schaub.

He's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be, but he also isn't good. I would have probably preferred to stick with Cambell.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Here are the exact numbers, 37mil remaining and that's INCLUDING 10mil for Mack:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Browns&Year=2014

Hawkins isn't inlcuded yet, but it was reported his 1st year cap hit would be 5.7mil

Based on the numbers on Rotoworld, I don't see how Hawkins' cap hit could be that high for year 1 .... but maybe there's a bonus they didn't report.

We supposedly had $53 million to open free agency. Unless they already accounted for the Mack tender, then something is way off on one set of accounting, or another. I was pretty close on my numbers, with the exception of the 2 contracts that didn't have exact salaries.

If we still have $33 million after Mack's tender, and our free agent signings, then we had to have started out at about $63 million in available free cap space, and I don't recall seeing that reported anywhere.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I wouldn't. I'd still truly prefer a Grossman over a Vick, Schaub or a Mark Sanchez. If Grossman is not doable, then yes I do believe I would be open to Mark coming here under the terms of knowing he'll be a backup to at least Hoyer and maybe even a drafted QB as' well... not sure if he'd be open to such an extreme denotation.

Quote:

I wouldn't think Pittsburgh had the money to sign him. I hope they don't.

RB's, even the top talent ones, aren't getting paid squat. The market for such is low... depending on the terms, I could see Pitt squeaking out this signing as they've went through hundreds of crap backs it seems and need to solidify that position.

As much as I hate to think about it, Pittsburgh offense is suited for MJD, the need is heavy - so I can see something unfolding there and having to face MJD during regular season twice a year...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We saved some money on DQ and Campbell cuts that probably weren't included then...if those numbers I posted are correct, then we're about 31-32mil under the cap when Hawkins is included...an, again, that takes into account Mack's 10mil

We could and should have done MUCH more, especially at CB2 and OG

#gmstrong

C
Legend
Legend
C
I would be happy with Wade Smith and Carlos Rogers on one year deals.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Carrying over cap is not a bad move considering the amount we'll need to spend to resign key players in the next 2 seasons.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Rogers doesn't hold up outside anymore...he was benched and moved to the slot in SF iirc. He would not be an upgrade on Skrine outside.

The CB2 FA ship has sailed. There were plenty of decent upgrades, but apparently (and strangely with Haden on the roster) Farmer/Pettine wanted "elite or nothing" for CB2. It was a mistake, as there aren't many press CBs in the draft that are day one ready..actually, only one: Dennard and since they were all about elite in FA, he's a real possibility.

There are some developmental one's later on like Desir and Breeland, but you'd have to stash them for a year as they're aren't made to play the slot and are not day one ready....oh well, they will find out the hard way....again.

#gmstrong

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think it is obvious that we tried for both Revis and Rodgers-Cromartie. So maybe they only wanted to upgrade CB2 if it was a major upgrade? Maybe they don't view the other guys that were available as that much better than Skrine. Either way we need another guy.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Sure and it'd be the same mistake as last year. Blue chip or "who cares" has failed...miserably. Remember when "Owens or McFadden will do" was the matra around here? Yeah fun times until the games started, lol

#gmstrong

C
Legend
Legend
C
I definitely think the position will be addressed further. Hopefully the people they bring in aren't reaches like Leon McFadden and are better than Chris Owens.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I agree with you. One of our newest players, Andrew Hawkins, does not agree with us:

Quote:

“They’re trying to win, they’re trying to win now, they’re trying to [assemble] an incredible roster and I think they’ve done great in free agency,” Hawkins said. “Not even including myself, [but] the players they’ve been able to bring in just shows where their mind’s at and I feel good about where the program is going.”

Link

Well, I think every team does as much as they can to 'win now' but some teams have been so dysfunctional (the Browns included) that it's been an extended 'rebuild' process for them. It is my take that some of that dysfunction with the Browns has been removed. We should have a more successful team THIS year. A winning perspective that feeds upon itself can begin to take hold. I'm not sure that the soil was fertile for it to occur before.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

He's a good enough player but who's spot does he take? Wynn, Bryant, Rubin, Hughes, and Bryant are all better than him IMO.

Could they be thinking of trading someone?

Not sure why they'd mess w the D-Line aside from maybe adding some depth VERY late in/after the draft.

That's a possibility. A deal, in principle, may already have been struck with a team, pending a deal being struck between the Browns & Carrington.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You do realize that CB is a position that develops. He was a 3rd round pick who missed some time early with injury and he fell behind. All I'm saying is it might not be wise to judge him on his rookie season.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Haden came in and played well his rookie season IMO. Milliner came in and sucked his rookie season. Guess it just depends on the talent level/ability to adapt and learn. To your credit though, look at Buster and how far he has come. If he balls like he did last year, and I understand it's a wait-n-see ordeal - but i'd be beyond okay lining him up at #2.

What I am not okay with is people like former Brown Chris Owens getting reps at #3/nickel. Leon McFadden looked pretty shaky as' well.

If we get a corner, he'll have his hands full taking #2 from Buster. More so a battle for #3 between Poyer and company. All JMO

D
Legend
Legend
D
Titans to release kicker Rob Bironas:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/titans-releasing-longtime-kicker-rob-bironas/

Man, too bad we resigned Cundiff - I'd actually be very pleased if we could pick him up. Especially with as thin as the need for kicker is right now. Most teams have resigned their players (unfortunately, even us).

C
Legend
Legend
C
I said he was a reach (which he was). Not that he wouldn't develop.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Cundiff was fine last year.

Legend
Legend
#Browns confirm visits with free agent OL Paul McQuistan and DL Alex Carrington.

https://twitter.com/PatMcManamon

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum FA links/rumors/tweets pt 2

Link Copied to Clipboard