Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Mourgrym #865406 03/21/14 03:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Yeah I thought he was a lock to the raiders until i saw how much bradley seemed in love with him at the senior bowl. I think he goes #3.

clevesteve #865407 03/21/14 04:22 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think 1 QB will go in the top 10 and then maybe one more in the 1st round. There are too many teams seeing that they can find as good a talent at qb in round 2. Just an over all lousy qb class. Makes sense since its the first one we have had ammunition to move up and get one.

I can see farmer waiting till round 2 to grab a qb this year while setting up trade downs to get more picks next year to go after the QB he likes in Mariota who he admits he would have taken this year over everyone else.

Just saying dont be surprised if he tries to play the we wanted to give Hoyer a chance to prove himself line to justify it.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Razorthorns #865408 03/21/14 05:11 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think 1 QB will go in the top 10 and then maybe one more in the 1st round. There are too many teams seeing that they can find as good a talent at qb in round 2.

So you're saying nobody will draft QBs in the first round because there will be QBs in the second round? That's only if nobody drafts QBs in the first round.

I've never been a fan of Tautologies.

Oh yeah, and I think there will be at least 3 QBs drafted in the top 5 and maybe 4.

clevesteve #865409 03/21/14 05:57 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

I'm no QB evaluator, but at this point, I want nothing to do with Carr. In fact, I'm not sure if I want anything to do with the QBs early.

And this is coming from a guy that was screaming do whatever is necessary to grab your perceived best QB prospect.....not so sure anymore.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/21/14 06:08 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I'm in the same boat. I was all in favor of doing what it takes to get our guy but this group of QBs seems to be pretty unimpressive... weak year. Especially when you compare them to how stacked all the other positions are this year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Admittedly, some of the reports about pro days, seeing mock drafts from analysts, etc have swayed me a bit but those outlets have only reinstated what I've begun to think about the QB recently. Again, no guru, but I am beginning to think where the "biggest bang for our buck" at #4 really is.

I still kinda hope they take a QB at #4 and that guy shuts everyone up....including me.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
NFL Network reported that the GMs and other talent evaluators are NOT placing much importance on Teddy's Pro Day, but the media is.

Take it for what it's worth.

C
Legend
Legend
C
There are also reports that many NFL teams didn't like Bridgewater before the Pro Day.

Mourgrym #865414 03/21/14 07:12 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

They are equally afraid to downgrade the guy they had #1 for the year. Really makes no sense

Well of course it does. If you have a guy rated as the top QB all year due to his play, his readiness and system, then change your draft board because of the way guys throw the ball around in shorts, you would look pretty foolish.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #865415 03/21/14 07:24 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL..............not only would you look pretty foolish, you would be pretty foolish.

This happens almost every year. Guys climb because they look good. They have height. They are built well. They have a big arm. They do great at the Combine. They awe people at their Pro Days.

They get drafted way higher than they should and then people are surprised when they bust.

Carr is a guy who will more than likely bust because he stinks under pressure. Well, QBs in the NFL get pressured. We've seen it absolutely destroy guys like Timid, Carr's brother, BQ, and Weeden. They can't read coverages and then lack the guts to stand in the pocket and either take needless sacks or become Captain Check Down.

But a large percentage of posters, in their infinite wisdom, want to draft YET another WR at the top of the draft and grab a stiff like Carr later.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
couch and carr went to expansion teams that had horrible offensive lines and that is pretty much the end of that argument, the lines couldnt protect on a 3 step drop. Quinn's problem was accuracy. Weeden's problem was horrible mistakes at the worst time, no clutch to him at. He was the reverse Manziel.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We are officially at the point in the off-season where people just regurgitate the same point over and over.

The draft can't come soon enough!

Mourgrym #865418 03/21/14 08:13 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

couch and carr went to expansion teams that had horrible offensive lines and that is pretty much the end of that argument, the lines couldnt protect on a 3 step drop. Quinn's problem was accuracy. Weeden's problem was horrible mistakes at the worst time, no clutch to him at. He was the reverse Manziel.

Charlie Casserly was the GM that drafted Carr and after the fact, he said the exact same thing. either don't draft the QB or sit him for a year and get the rest of the pieces in place to protect him.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Mourgrym #865419 03/21/14 09:06 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I listened all last year about how good this QB class was going to be. There were guys saying we should wait till this year for a QB. Now we have guys saying the same thing. Wait until next year and get Winston or Mariota. Lets face it boys, drafting a QB is a crap shoot .Petine and Farmer have to take the guy they like and hope for the best.... What have the QBs done that turned everybody against them?

Mourgrym #865420 03/21/14 09:12 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
End of the story?

Why didn't other teams show much interest in either Timid or Carr after they were cut?

They sucked. Both held the ball way too long and their offensive lines took all the blame.

cfrs15 #865421 03/21/14 09:27 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That just about nails it !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
couch got a pretty sweet contract from GB even when he had a dead arm. Carr played for a few teams there at a nice salary. I forgot what a great OL the Browns and Texans had during their early expansion days. They were just amazing. Never seen blocking quiet like it. I mean they were giving such great protection they allowed Couch to sit his rookie year being the 3rd strong qb.

Dawg Duty #865423 03/21/14 09:54 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I listened all last year about how good this QB class was going to be. There were guys saying we should wait till this year for a QB. Now we have guys saying the same thing. Wait until next year and get Winston or Mariota. Lets face it boys, drafting a QB is a crap shoot .Petine and Farmer have to take the guy they like and hope for the best.... What have the QBs done that turned everybody against them?

I wasn't one of those espousing this QB class as something great but I actually think, unlike most, that there are some good quality QBs in this draft. Most of them aren't figuring to be of the 'top 3' by most talking heads. I've already stated that I like Bortles. I also like Carr, Mettenberger, Fales and Murray. All of these could be starting caliber QBs in the NFL and I would take all of them over Bridgewater or Manziel.

There are aspects to Brett Smith's game that I like too. He's a lot like Manziel in some respects. He reads the defenses reasonably well although he might get some dyslexia now and then and read the wrong thing. If he reads correctly, he can get the ball out very quickly, but if he doesn't he can make some mistakes. When improvising after the read he made proves to be wrong, he may throw to a covered receiver or make other bad decisions. But Smith is a football smart QB.

Mourgrym #865424 03/21/14 10:24 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
When Timid became available, the majority of the posters on here---including you---said teams would gobble him up. Well, not one team traded for him.

You guys argued that they knew he was going to be released so they were waiting. I said that if they really wanted him, they would have made the trade. Well, teams did not flock towards him when he became a FA. Finally, GB signed him.

No one knew of his arm problems at the time. That is a fact!

The lack of interest was due to his inability to read coverages, how long he held the ball, his lack of guts, his lack of leadership, his inaccuracy, and his propensity to check down way instead of trying to pick up first downs.

The guy was a stiff and Carr is a very similar QB. No wonder you love him. No wonder I don't.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, in you opinion Tim Couch should have waited to go pro until 2007 when we drafted Joe Thomas

#865426 03/21/14 10:41 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow, that was deep.

No, my opinion is that Cleveland should have never drafted him first overall. My opinion is that that he sucked so bad and the fans liked him so much that they blamed all of his woes on his supporting cast.

There was a reason why the team was ready to mutiny if KH wasn't named the starter that one year. They were sick of taking the blame for Timid's deficiencies. And this I know for a fact.

My point is that Carr is the same type of QB. He is a guy who looks like a QB, but his lack of guts and inability to read coverages will resort in people blaming the play calling and the supporting cast...................just like they did when Timid was here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thats where you are wrong, before that final year of hooked on gut feeling, I wanted them to trade Couch because I felt he had a dead arm. I saw him in camp that year and it was obvious the arm was gone. Should have traded both while they had value.

Look that was a decade ago and I really dont give a flying !#$!@#$ about any of that crap.

You say Carr is a wuss. Yay carr is a wuss, you win, Hope u feel better. Bridgewater pisses champagne and farts rainbows. Yay you are right again.

Couch sucked the ol was great. Holcomb was a hall of famer.
Gordon sucks, Ward sucks, Heckert was an idiot

try not to strain as you pat yourself on the back or really hurt yourself trying roll yourself into a ball to kiss your own ass.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, I will agree with you that he should not have been drafted unless we had an O line, we did not, and that is not Couchs fault . I certainly am no Couch apologist or Carr for that matter, but when an organization invests the cash that they did in those days for a franchise QB and then FAIL to address the O line that is just stupid. When young athletes like Couch and Carr are physically unable to perform their job after about 5 years isn't an indictment of their talent, is is a failure of the organization to protect their investments. This is why we have sucked for so long, lousy decision making at the top. I hope that is deep enough for you. Those guys got killed week in and week out, those are the facts!

#865429 03/22/14 04:26 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

Forget Couch. He sucked.

As for Carr, I get the same feeling. If we don't go for Bortels, Johnny, or Teddy, then take Grappolo in the 2nd. I think with a year or two he can become a fine NFL QB.

If he can become close to the others as far as talent and production, then that is the way to go IMO. Using those two 1st rounders on other position will greatly accelerate our improvement....or at least should..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Mourgrym #865430 03/22/14 05:36 AM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Yay carr is a wuss, you win, Hope u feel better. Bridgewater pisses champagne and farts rainbows. Yay you are right again.

Now that's funny.

clevesteve #865431 03/22/14 05:38 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Tautologies

Sent me to the dictionary with that one.

#gmstrong
Ballpeen #865432 03/22/14 05:44 AM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

J/C

Forget Couch. He sucked.

As for Carr, I get the same feeling. If we don't go for Bortels, Johnny, or Teddy, then take Grappolo in the 2nd. I think with a year or two he can become a fine NFL QB.

If he can become close to the others as far as talent and production, then that is the way to go IMO. Using those two 1st rounders on other position will greatly accelerate our improvement....or at least should..

This goes the same for round one as round 2.

If Houston and Jax pass on QB's, we may find ourselves needing to move ahead of both for either Carr or Garrop.

Which is fine by me, we've got plenty of picks to manipulate our position.

If we came away with Watkins and Fuller at 4 and 26, then moved up for Garrop, I'd do flips.

Ballpeen #865433 03/22/14 05:53 AM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
J/C

Could anyone explain sometime to me...dumb as I am.

There are guys like Carr and Garrapolo who have their fans. Mourg being the only really ardent Carr fan I know of here, but Gara has a big following.

Why aren't these guys at all in the discussion of being top 10 picks if they are as good as the top 3? (Who each have their own flaws). Why bother with these guys if you don't think they are the cream of the crop? Why aren't Gar and Carr in discussion for the top pick?

Kingcob #865434 03/22/14 06:35 AM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

J/C

Could anyone explain sometime to me...dumb as I am.

There are guys like Carr and Garrapolo who have their fans. Mourg being the only really ardent Carr fan I know of here, but Gara has a big following.

Why aren't these guys at all in the discussion of being top 10 picks if they are as good as the top 3? (Who each have their own flaws). Why bother with these guys if you don't think they are the cream of the crop? Why aren't Gar and Carr in discussion for the top pick?

Two words, "Media Hype". All season long the top three have been receiving media attention whereas you never heard much talk about Carr or Garrapolo until the East/West game and senior bowl. I personally would like the Browns to wait and get Gar, McCarron, or Mettenburg in the second or third round. Then after the draft, look for a back up vet for Hoyer and see what falls out. If the FO targets the high powered weapons and OL this year we can be a legit 7-9 or 8-8 team for once. I'll take that over 4-12 any day. The draft cannot get here soon enough so we can start complaining about how dumb the FO is or become overly optimistic about how we're going to have the perfect record and win the super bowl because of our 6th round pick.

Oh well Go BROWNS!

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... so we can start complaining about how dumb the FO is or become overly optimistic...

Agreed. Much more productive to argue/debate over who we did pick rather than who we should pick. I'll temper that by saying I don't know who we should pick at #4, but please, not Clowney...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Kingcob #865436 03/22/14 09:15 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The discussion we hear is from the media that covers the draft. In some cases their coverage is accurate to a degree. However, we do not hear the discussions that take place with the people who are paid to evaluate ie, scouts and GM's.

In addition the guys outside the top three all have some negatives that hold them back from some of the discussions. Jimmy G. played in obscurity for a small school. Carr played in a weak conference and there is game film that shows major flaws. Mettenberger lacks mobility and then tore his acl.

In reference to Jimmy G. Bill Poilan a Hall of Fame GM thinks he is a first rounder. I truly believe if he had gone to one of the "football factories" he would be in the discussion. If you really watch this kid he has a lot of what works in the NFL. Love his quick feet, pump fakes, lightning release, and accuracy.If the Browns do not get Bridgewater Jimmy G is the guy I want.

Kingcob #865437 03/22/14 09:43 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I never bought into how much improved Weeden would be under Norv, so I researched the QBs hard this year.

Here is a condensed version of how it transpired:

--Teddy was regarded as the top guy going in to last season because of his performance the year before. This is especially true because he lit up the nation's top defense in the bowl game.

--Manziel-------well you know all about him. His performance on the football field won him the Heisman trophy. Many thought he was just a gimmicky QB, but he showed to have a good arm and was fairly accurate in the pocket.

--Bortles was not even on the radar. I lucked out because I was watching a South Carolina game on TV and he was playing. He amazed me. I started writing about him before any of the national guys did. He actually streaked up the charts due to his performance on the field.

--Carr was highly regarded all year. He was on the map before the season as the primary challenger to Teddy as the best QB. He put up huge numbers this year, but a couple of late season performances against better competition highlighted his flaws, which are that he is afraid in the pocket and that leads to inaccuracy and him checking down way to quick. He fell down the boards. However, his post season stuff is helping rise from the dead. You know, he has good size and has a strong arm.

--Mettenberger was considered an early to mid first round pick early this season. However, his performance on the field showed that he lacked mobility, threw w/a front stiff leg that lends itself to injury, was a bit erratic in terms of accuracy, and we already knew about the character concerns. His knee injury made him plummet down the boards. However, now some people who were late to the party act like he is better than the Big 3.

--Jimmy G was relatively unknown. His performance has vaulted him up the charts. He has a quick release, is fairly accurate, and is mobile enough. His issues are that he needs to stop and reset his feet when rolling out and that he forces the ball into tight coverages. He did this against lesser competition and some think that he will throw a lot of interceptions in the NFL because of this flaw.

--Boyd was a hot QB this year. Many thought he was a first rounder. However, he doesn't make good reads and his wildly inconsistent w/his accuracy.

--McCarron gets love because of his record at Alabama and his intelligence. However, his arm is well below average.

--Murray is an interesting guy. He looks great at times. Other times, you look at him and see a Rex Grossman or Matt Flynn type of qb. His injury was really costly.

Thus, I don't think the answer to your question has anything to do w/some people wanting to say the FO is stupid or that they think the Browns will win the Super Bowl. I think the answer to your question is by the QB's performance on the actual football field.

All Pro
All Pro
1999 1 Tim Couch * QB Kentucky
2000 1 Courtney Brown * DE Penn State
2001 3 Gerard Warren DT Florida
2002 16 William Green RB Boston College [23]
2003 21 Jeff Faine C Notre Dame
2004 6 Kellen Winslow II TE Miami (Florida) [24]
2005 3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
2006 13 Kamerion Wimbley LB Florida State [25]
2007 3 Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin [26]
22 Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame [27]
2008 — No Pick — — [27]
2009 21 Alex Mack C California [28]
2010 7 Joe Haden CB Florida
2011 21 Phil Taylor DT Baylor
2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama
22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State
2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU
2014 4 _________________????????

Wow, we have made some BAD picks.

GO BROWNS!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at the 2nd round, it might be worse

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

1999 1 Tim Couch * QB Kentucky
2000 1 Courtney Brown * DE Penn State
2001 3 Gerard Warren DT Florida
2002 16 William Green RB Boston College [23]
2003 21 Jeff Faine C Notre Dame
2004 6 Kellen Winslow II TE Miami (Florida) [24]
2005 3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
2006 13 Kamerion Wimbley LB Florida State [25]
2007 3 Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin [26]
22 Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame [27]
2008 — No Pick — — [27]
2009 21 Alex Mack C California [28]
2010 7 Joe Haden CB Florida
2011 21 Phil Taylor DT Baylor
2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama
22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State
2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU
2014 4 _________________????????

Wow, we have made some BAD picks.

Dude, that was depressing.

Vers, I gotta agree with Mourn. All I remember about Couch & Carr is them running for their lives. I can't believe that our last 20 QBs sucked. Remember Jeff Garcia? .
He was a pretty good QB until he came here and not to bad after he left. Charlie Frye might have fared better with a better team. I hope Hoyer is our guy. We have a better o-line and better position players now.

#865442 03/22/14 07:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Look at the 2nd round, it might be worse

Dont look at the 3rd or you will probably slice your wrists. I cant rememeber the last 3rd round pick from the Browns I actually could say nice pickup. Maybe in the 80s?

Last edited by Mourgrym; 03/22/14 07:34 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they take Carr at #26 and he doesn't work out? Not as big a deal.

It will be if anybody you passed on at 4 does work out.

Wow, another Weeden?

We didn't pass on anyone at 4 when we took Weeden at 22...

HAD WE... It would of just compounded the mistake...

If you pass on any one of the 3 guys at 4, and take Carr at 26, and those guys stud out, and Carr doesn't, you're getting fired...

The argument can be made if Carr doesn't, you're getting fired anyways... FOs rarely get to draft more than one QB in the first round...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

When Timid became available, the majority of the posters on here---including you---said teams would gobble him up. Well, not one team traded for him.

You guys argued that they knew he was going to be released so they were waiting. I said that if they really wanted him, they would have made the trade. Well, teams did not flock towards him when he became a FA. Finally, GB signed him.

No one knew of his arm problems at the time. That is a fact!

The lack of interest was due to his inability to read coverages, how long he held the ball, his lack of guts, his lack of leadership, his inaccuracy, and his propensity to check down way instead of trying to pick up first downs.

The guy was a stiff and Carr is a very similar QB. No wonder you love him. No wonder I don't.

Wow, what a pile of crap.

With scrubs at o-line and worse scrubs as receivers he actually scored point while being beaten to a bloody pulp. I can't even count how many hard, brutal hits he took to throw the ball while some guy was fixen to crush him.

Coward give me a friggen break. BS like that shows you don't know what your talking about and just hating.

Yeah, towards the end after years of being beat to death because our front office refused to build an O-line. Same thing happened to Carr and Frye. The most sacked QB's in the NFL. Of course their careers got ended sooner than expected and started suffering from shell shock. you beat a person up enough after a while they will just expect it all the time. None of these QB's got developed the right way or even used right. I mean hell Frye was a third round developmental pick. For us, he because instant start because he was head and heals above a washed up trent dilfer.

Seriously dude stop hating and trashing the QB's just because they got stuck on crap teams. Couch did the best he could with what he had to work with. Not his fault the Browns were totally inept at building a team. Also not his fault they made him play while injured to the point of permanant damage. And for a 3rd round QB Frye did pretty darn good too. He was no Peyten manning and no one ever expected him to be but the kid played his heart out until he lost his nerve taking so many brutal hits which is also why towards the end he just got scared to throw the ball knowing any mistake at all would be his last.

I hope to God we finish up our offensive line for once and stop ruining the careers of every QB that comes here.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

End of the story?

Why didn't other teams show much interest in either Timid or Carr after they were cut?

They sucked. Both held the ball way too long and their offensive lines took all the blame.

Couch went to GB and couldn't throw the ball more than 10 yards because his arm had been ripped off in Cleveland. Every time he was back to throw the pressure around the end would hit his arm going forward. Shoulder problems were well documented. Name the great offensive line in front of him early in his career before the damage was done.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Carr lovers

Link Copied to Clipboard